Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #61  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

About the alcohol. Strange thing with me. When I was very heavy I was actually afraid to drink. I was so uncomfortable with myself and so afraid that drinking would cause me to do something - stupid. I certainly didn't want to draw any more attention to myself then need be.

Then when I lost the weight, I would drink when I went out on the weekends with DH and friends. It was great to not feel so self conscious about myself and really let go.

Now that I'm further into maintenance and I realize just how quickly I put weight on - I almost always abstain from it. I can't remember the last time I had a drink. I've become too much of a calorie snob. I really, really need to chew my calories, not drink them.

But luckily, I've also realized that since I do have soooo much more self confidence, I don't really need the alcohol to lighten me up and have a good time!

We'll see what happens this summer. That's when I do a lot more socializing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #62  
Workin' It

Michele - most of the hot chocolates k cups are weakish, even on the smallest size. The Timothy's White Hot Chocolate is good, 90 cals per serving. I think the Gloria Jean's & the Green Mountain are both 60 cals, the ghiradelli packets that come with the sampler are good, but high. I tend to buy small packets and just use hot water off the keurig. I'm into flavored coffees - I like the Timothy's cinnamon pastry, the Gloria Jean's mudslide, the Timothy's caramel vanilla nut. DH likes extra bold -we just got Timothy's Parisian Nights and he loves that, we also like the Diedrich French Roast, several others. The Twinings Earl Grey is excellent, as is the Gloria Jean's Oolong. Our current fave brand is Timothy's I think. I'll look at home and see what else we like. Amazon has the best prices, but www.bigcatcoffee.com will let you make your own neat sampler pack so I get it from there when I want to try new stuff. Love love love it - I think it is the best Christmas present I ever got...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 04-08-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #63  
Working My Way Back Down

Is a Keurig one of those coffee machines where you just put in the little plastic container? I had coffee from one at a meeting at someone else's office yesterday. THey just got it and are having fun trying all the things. She was offering something called Jet Fuel but I opted for plain coffee.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Is a Keurig one of those coffee machines where you just put in the little plastic container? I had coffee from one at a meeting at someone else's office yesterday. THey just got it and are having fun trying all the things. She was offering something called Jet Fuel but I opted for plain coffee.
Yep-- that's what it is. I don't drink much coffee so I can just make a cup when I want one and there are tons of flavors. There is no cleanup and you can make a cup at a time.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

When it comes to alcohol, I don't seem to eat or over eat when I drink, but like someone said, one often turns to two. Frankly, back when I was losing, I would have a day every other week where "dinner" would be a glass of wine, 4-6 triscuits and a little cheese. It was usually because of a meeting where I'd get home at 8:30 and not feel like eating a regular meal. My current portion size dilemma comes from the fact that for the past several months I've been cooking the same amount of food that four of us ate, but now there is just the three of us, and since DH and I eat lunch together, I don't bring leftovers unless there is enough for both of us and there rarely is. So, while it is usually okay to have extra broccoli, it is not alright to have extra rice, and that's what I've been doing (usually the entree is meat and I'll fix only 3 portions). The other day I did succeed in keeping my portions regular and I ate the leftovers for breakfast. I really must start insisting that DS start eating more. He's such a skinny minny! He's 14 and just recently started to ask for more food for breakfast (which currently consists of a frozen breakfast burrito, 2 slices of buttered toast and 3-5 slices of melon). My breakfast is about 1/4 the size of his! But dinners? We tend to all eat the same portion size and that is the bad thing.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #66  
Workin' It

Pat - There are several different single serve pots available now. Senseo & Tassimo have pouches that resemble tea bags and are brewed through I think, Flavia has a rectangular packet with a plastic tab in the top that you slide into a channel that punctures the channel and pours water into the packet, brews, then splits open the bottom and pours. Keurig has little plastic cups with foil on top - sharp spikes poke a hole in the bottom and the top - water comes in the top, grounds inside, coffee dispenses out the bottom. Long answer for short question. Yes, you put in the plastic container and get coffee. The Jet Fuel is actually pretty good, but not as strong as you would think, IMO. I don't drink enough coffee to justify an entire pot - typically one cup most days, two or three on weekends. And, DH and I don't like the same types of coffee, so this is perfect for us!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My problem is that I was never afraid to drink alcohol .

Now I know it inevitably leads to a food binge so I just don't drink it.

The long weekend starts tomorrow - can you tell I hardly ever get a weekend off?

Have a great day all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #68  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Maybe your boobs are bigger because you've been working on bench presses so much and your pecs got bigger underneath?
Yes, that's what I'll tell myself! I had considered that but it still seems disproportionate to me... a little birdy named captain obvious just whispered in my ear to measure my chest. I don't measure often but I know my band as of 1-2 years ago was about a 35, and around girls was about 37-38. Just whipped my tape measurer out of my purse and I'm getting 34-39.

I know, C cup isn't huge, and I've always wished for a bigger chest, but I'm so used to small-ish and accepted it for what it was that I'm amazed and puzzled right now.

Today, could someone to remind me that it takes more than 1 1/2 weeks of eating "perfectly on (losing calorie level) plan eating and foodwise" to make a difference in our bodies? I'm being impatient with the scale.

Mmm, I fixed myself some coffee that's strong enough to be jet fuel this morning.

It's 8:38 in the morning, I'm sitting at work, and now I want a glass of wine, lol. (Part of that is not having had one for about 4 weeks now.) Is that wrong of me? Have a wonderful day everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #69  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I didn't make it to the gym yesterday, but I got plenty of exercise playing 18 holes of golf with DS and DH. It was fun and other than the first hole, I did pretty dang good. I now have a sunburn though on my face, neck and arms.

DH is loving these beagles (and built them a doghouse) and I suppose it's gonna be hard for him to give them away. But, I don't want to have 5 dogs. The good thing now is they are looking very healthy after being fed twice a day for the past 5 days.

I woke up feeling sick today and will try to get into see my family doctor. (more sinus and upper resp. infection stuff again). Yuck! I was unable to keep my dinner down last night and am afraid to try to eat today.

Megan, I'm a C cup now and they seem smallish to me cause I was a DD before losing weight.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #70  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I eat more when I drink too. We don't drink much at home but we have an occasional glass of wine or beer with dinner. When we go out I usually have either wine, beer, or a drink. If I have more than 1 I end up eating too much. Funny how that works! You'd think there's more liquid in your stomach so you'd fill up faster!

I heard a story on NPR this morning about "brown fat." Apparently it is a different kind of fat tissue in your body which burns calories and produces heat. It's important in babies because they have no other way to keep themselves warm (they can't move around much or shiver), and they used to think that adults didn't have it, but it turns out we do! It gets activated at lower temperatures, and they said 3 oz of brown fat in your body could burn 300-500 calories per week.

AFAIK there is no way to give yourself more of it, but I think the take-home message was that if you keep your house at a lower temperature you'll burn more calories in general. That seems like common sense to me. OTOH I hate being cold!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #71  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Lily, do you have pictures of the beagles? Or of your other doggies? I love dogs!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #72  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post

Megan, I'm a C cup now and they seem smallish to me cause I was a DD before losing weight.
Me too. Exactly. I was a BIG DD, spilling out all over the place, and now I'm a small (barely) a C. Back size - that went down a tad too. I went from a 44 to a 34.

Lily, I hope you feel better - quickly.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #73  
Workin' It

Megan - It takes more than 1.5 weeks of eating at loss calories to make a difference! I was thinking something similar this morning - I've eaten 100-150 cals less per day for the last five days and weighed two pounds less this morning. I know that the eating the last few days didn't do that, I'm just leveling back out, so I don't need to drop my calories back down again based just on that...

Dagmar - enjoy your long weekend!

Lily - he built them a doghouse? You might just end up with more dogs out of this deal! Hope you feel better soon! The pollen count here is insanely high, and doctors are saying that the blooming season wasn't spread out like normal (higher temps early caused everything to bloom all at once) so people who have never had allergy problems before are sick this year. Great news for people like me who already have allergy problems...

Jessica - brown fat, hmm. Interesting.

I don't drink much at all, mainly because I used to drink way too much when I was younger and then I spent five years married to an alcoholic. Now, a glass of wine or two, one mixed drink or cordial, or one beer is pretty much my limit. I don't get snacky when I drink, but I do get way snacky in the post drinking aftermath. So, not really drinking saves me that!

I didn't exercise this morning because I was planning a run at the park this afternoon, but the pollen is bothering me so might end up on treadmill anyway. It is only 1210 today, compared to 3545 on Monday, but considering anything over 121 is considered 'very high' I guess it still isn't a comfortable level by any means!

Good day everyone!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone. I had a great evening last night and my scale rewarded me with a 1.5 pound loss. Truthfully, it was water weight that I'd been carrying around due to TOM.

Who here get that nasty side effect from asparagus? I had asparagus with lunch and my pee stank for the rest of the day. So gross.

Y'all wanna see what a crazy lady looks like? I don't know why I did this, but DD took a picture of it and posted on Facebook: crazy.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

That is just a fact of life with asparagus, the pee odor will only last a day,Allison I looked at the picture, it looks like you are about to stab somebody!

Last edited by bargoo; 04-09-2009 at 11:49 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote