Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #46  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm behind in replying, but I promise I read everything!

Some chocolate companies ship with special packaging for summer. We ordered like 50lbs of chocolate from See's to use as favors for our wedding and it came shipped in ice packs. You do pay a premium for summer shipping.

Sheila - happy belated birthday!

Lily - I love your son's comment on the TP!

I posted this on the no excuses thread already, but I have a portion creep problem. Yesterday I poured my usual-size bowl of raisin bran, then weighed it to check the portion. Turns out I'm eating TWICE as much as I thought I was. Crap! That's an extra 190 calories! No wonder I'm not losing any weight!

My sister and her fiancee are coming out tomorrow night for the weekend. Yay! I'm excited. They haven't had a chance to meet our dog yet. I also got an email from my mom this morning that she found a cheap flight and decided to come out next weekend to cheer me on at my triathlon. Two family weekends in a row though means I'll be pretty exhausted and food will probably not be great. I need a vacation. Maybe if our deadline at work doesn't get pushed back anymore and we're actually done May 1 I will take a few days off.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #47  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
I posted this on the no excuses thread already, but I have a portion creep problem. Yesterday I poured my usual-size bowl of raisin bran, then weighed it to check the portion. Turns out I'm eating TWICE as much as I thought I was. Crap! That's an extra 190 calories! No wonder I'm not losing any weight!
Oh yeah. I SO do this. That is why I STILL weigh and measure everything after 6+ years.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone.

Sheila~his test will be some time in May, they haven't set the date yet. We're proud that he changed his mind. And if he makes it, we'll reward him with something extra special. I can't say what it is, because I don't want to give it away.

So here is my problem: good intentions turned bad. Every morning I get up and have a very OP breakfast and pack a very OP snack and lunch. Then I pick up DS and we go to Karate and I drink water. And I get home and it all falls apart. Last night I fell into a bowl of chips and salsa. Granted it wasn't horrible, but it happens day after day. I wish I could stay motivated all day. Any suggestions?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #49  
Workin' It

Good morning!

Dagmar -Funny that you should mention that about looking at people's energy today. I have been thinking a lot about that lately myself, and the reason why called me last night... I have been friends with this woman since college, so almost 20 years now. Sad thing is, we should never have been friends. She annoyed me from day one of meeting her. I was an RA at the time, and felt sorry for the fact that she had no friends, her roomate hated her, etc and couldn't make myself tell her to go away. Instead I continued to interact with her for 20 years, never strong enough to cut it off and expending a lot of energy complaining about it to other people. We have nothing in common at all, are completely different philosophically, no reason to interact at all.... but, on the other hand, she did all the friendship maintenance without me having to do any work, so I was weak and a user in the relationship... bad... I cut her out of my life back before Christmas because I can't take the toxic vibes anymore. When she called last night just seeing her on the CID made me feel run down and tired....Somehow she projected the negative energy over the screen! Didn't pick up and talk to her, pretty proud of myself. Also, I used to log my feelings when I was in therapy when I got divorced - it really helped me get a handle on my mood swings. Good luck!

Michele - the bracelet is a great idea!

Sheila - I didn't know a Jack Russel could get chubby! The ones I've seen are always running around crazy!

Jessica - I've seen the chocolate companies that package for summer shipping. Pretty neat. Enjoy the family visits! And, I weigh cereal for the exact same reason...

Allison -that is the same time of day when I fall into things, too. I drink a lot of hot tea during that time - I have a Keurig so I stock up on different blends. I also keep myself stocked with reasonably filling, healthy snack options so if I have to fall into something it is the graham cracker or pretzel or skinny cow instead of the worse things. I've found that planning out and writing down everything, including the evening snacks, makes me less likely to get into something else. It doesn't always work, but I'm still trying!

I got up this morning to exercise again - 60 mins of ball exercises, Weider & dumbbell work - three days in a row now that I've gotten up in the AM!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 04-08-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Default Any suggestions ? Oh! Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Good morning everyone.

Sheila~his test will be some time in May, they haven't set the date yet. We're proud that he changed his mind. And if he makes it, we'll reward him with something extra special. I can't say what it is, because I don't want to give it away.

So here is my problem: good intentions turned bad. Every morning I get up and have a very OP breakfast and pack a very OP snack and lunch. Then I pick up DS and we go to Karate and I drink water. And I get home and it all falls apart. Last night I fell into a bowl of chips and salsa. Granted it wasn't horrible, but it happens day after day. I wish I could stay motivated all day. Any suggestions?
Best suggestion, do NOT keep trigger foods in the house !!!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thanks guys, but it isn't food. It's more empty calories from wine or a whiskey sour (granted made with sugar free sour mix with zero calories) but one or two of those each day adds things up. Also, dinner portions seem to get out of control. I was measuring and weighing in January and gave up half way through February.

Sure last night I did break out the chips and salsa, but I'm relatively stingy when I have those. I'd say I had no more than 10 chips and salsa has few calories.

I must formulate a plan and stick with it. I know things will be easier in a few weeks when the in-laws leave town for the summer. I won't have to be making big dinners on Sunday for them. Also, when DD gets home for the summer, she'll be willing to diet with me, so I just have to persevere for a little bit and hopefully stop this gaining. My 10 pound gain from the past couple years turned into an additional 10 this year. Gah!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #52  

Allinell,
ditto here on the pound creep and portion creep. I have no solution, but I keep on trying.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Allison, I think making a plan is key. It really helps me. I'll still deviate and over do it with wine/beer/munchies sometimes, but it's much less likely to happen if I have everything planned out and am conscious of the fact that that indulgence will take me over my limits. I know it even w/out planning, but somehow without a plan I can convince myself that one glass of wine is okay... then two... and boy do they add up!

I'm feeling surprisingly positive and healthy today. It's bizarre because my allergies are raging and my period will be here today or tomorrow - but I haven't over done it in the past 2 or 3 days, and I went jogging monday which really started the week off on the right foot. I even had a piece of "tiramisu cake" that someone made for a friend's birthday last night, and I enjoyed it without triggering anything else. I feel great and I really hope this feeling sticks w/ me! For now I'll try to radiate whatever positivity I can to everyone who's struggling.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #54  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
t's more empty calories from wine or a whiskey sour (granted made with sugar free sour mix with zero calories) but one or two of those each day adds things up. Also, dinner portions seem to get out of control.
That's the problem with drinking, it tends to make you let go of the portion size controlling part of your brain. I like to have a glass of wine with my dinner some nights, but in addition to accounting for the calories, I don't let myself have it until I've actually put the food on the plate and started eating. Except for veggies/salad, I put the food on the plate at the stove, so it's out of sight. I also use luncheon plates for most dinners. Looks like more food than it is.

Allison, you might want to bring a planned snack to karate - it might help you stay out of stuff when you get home.

Happy belated birthday, Sheila! And I can't imagine an overweight Jack Russell, they are such hyperactive dogs! THey're cute as the dickens, but sure need a lot of work on the owner's part.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't have things like chips. candy, ice cream, pies, cakes etc.in my house because I am so weak willed. I can't eat juist one. So I don't keep them in the house. If I go out to a restaurant or to a friend's house I will eat an appetizer or dessert, just one....I wouldn't eat my hostess' entire pie...which could happen if I had one in my house. Therefore they are not allowed on my premises.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #56  
Chuggin' along...

I've had a problem in the past with diving into the food (not junk food, but health food, since I don't keep junk food in my house) when I get home. I finally concluded that I just wasn't eating enough during the daytime, particularly (healthy) fats. I ended up having to add more food earlier in the day (started eating nuts as my afternoon snack). Eating more calories earlier in the day helped me eat less overall.

When I'm in strict losing mode, I don't drink alcohol at all, period. I don't like it (though I'd rather give up all alcohol than all sweets), but it's something I've accepted about how low in calories I need to go to really shake weight off my body. And if I have one glass of wine, I know I'll have 2 or 3, and then I often will eat too much too.

So I'm sorry if this is TMI but I need to tell someone about this (besides my BF who noticed on his own!) but my boobs are getting BIGGER! Yes I've put on a bit of weight in the last 3 years and have been above my maintenance goal for a while, but this is disproportionate. My boobs haven't been this big (I think they must be a C cup now!) since my highest weight of ~205 lbs in high school. First I find it upsetting b/c it implies my body fat is increasing, but I don't even know what to do with these things! They're ginormous! Sigh. I've been on the same BC pill for a year now so I don't see why they should start doing this now...

Jessica, eep, yah, I measure my cereal, oatmeal, shredded cheese, etc., still. The only thing I don't measure is probably veggies - I guesstimate a cup of broccoli or whatever - I figure 1/4 extra cup of broccoli would not be too bad for me anyway!

Happy belated birthday Sheila!!!

Have a happy hump day everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Megan, I have to laugh at your boob problem! I can't see C-cups as being ginormous, but I think it's just because I've always been that size! I had a friend that was a D/DD and normal weight - now that's too much boob! She ended up having a reduction because they caused her so much back pain.

I don't usually measure my veggies very carefully either, although sometimes I am afraid I could be UNDERestimating my intake on them!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #58  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Megan - I have to laugh about C-cups being ginormous too, because I wear a FF cup (and no, I do not have implants). I wish I was a C! Maybe your boobs are bigger because you've been working on bench presses so much and your pecs got bigger underneath?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #59  
Workin' It

Perspective is a funny thing, isn't it... I just spent a good chunk of money to get big boobs! (Settling at D/DD, though, so not ginormous IMO)

I weigh pretty much everything I eat, not veggies as much - but I do portion them out based on the number of servings I prepare.

Megan - I was thinking the same thing as Jessica, maybe they are increasing in size due to all the weight lifting?

Bargoo - I can usually have things in the house, but I go through phases where everything has to go. DH on the other hand tends to eat what is there. He is working hard on the 'don't eat if you aren't hungry' concept now with snacks and treats and such, seems to be working okay so far.

Pat - I portion at the stove, too. Out of sight out of mind... I also tend to only cook the exact amount for the servings for DH and I so there often isn't anything left to serve out. That helps a lot, too.

Allison - the mixed drinks add up fast... I do have to avoid those for the most part...

Just found out no DSS tonight, so no idea what we are going to do for dinner... It does mean that I'll get to run on the treadmill some more when I get home, though! Don't have my clothes with me or I would go to the park...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I almost never drink alcohol now because it is a major trigger for me to eat. My will power and portion sizes go out the window. Dh says I am very boring but I don't care. He and I went to a comedy club a few months ago and I said I would have one or two drinks. He ordered me a third when I didn't want it and I was trying to eat everything in sight! When we left, I was trying to find a place that was open late that had dessert. It was pathetic!! Most of the time when we go out I will order hot tea because I enjoy it and get to choose my flavor so I feel like I've got something special.

Megan-- you can give me some of your boobage! Mine are so sad. They seem to still be getting smaller which I didn't think was possible. I also bet your pecs are larger with your weight lifting. I couldn't believe when I asked the lady doing my breast biopsy if she was having trouble because I am so small and she said yes! She could have lied!! I just called for my results and they are still "pending" and I'm to call tomorrow-- hopefully that doesn't mean anything....

Shannon-- we just got a Keurig and we are enjoying trying different coffees and teas. What a fun toy! What do you like to drink? I'm eager to try more new things.... I wanted to try a hot chocolate but all of the reviews I've seen have been poor, plus I don't know if they have any calories and I don't like to drink my calories....

I'm enjoying my week off from work. I went to the gym for a 10:00 class this morning. It was so nice to get my workout out of the way for the day.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote