Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #91  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

rockinrobin, I'm so glad you found a dress that you love. I totally agree that "it's so worth it". I love to shop now. When I first got close to my goal, I was a shopaholic. I've slowed down some now and try to be a little more particular, but I do love clothes. I love feeling comfortable in my clothes. I love just picking out what I'm gonna wear each day. It is such a great feeling to feel like we look good in our clothes.

As for those skinny jeans, I could so totally wear those because my hips and legs are the thinnest part of my body. But, I don't care for straight leg jeans. Heck, I gave away and threw away a bunch of straight leg jeans because they had gone out of style. So, I don't want any more.

Mel, I'm the same way. I wear mostly size 4's. I have 1 pr. of jeans and 1 skirt that are a 6 that fit at my actual waist and they are baggy in the seat.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #92  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I don't care if I never have another lick of ice cream again or another fried chicken cutlet or any of the other garbage I used to eat. I am so sticking to this lifestyle forever and ever. The rewards soooo outweigh the sacrifices.
Hang that dress where you can see it every day for inspiration. Consider getting it in two or three sizes smaller so you can have something to work toward.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #93  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Robin,

That is awesome.
Today I tried on my size 18 petite pants and they buttoned. That amazes me considering they were no where near being able to button a few weeks ago. I think 15 more lbs should put me where I'll be permanently in misses and petites. I just wish my legs weren't so short so that I could just shop misses but oh well. Maybe I'm not the only one that tries to buy crop pants to get pants the right length
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Mel, I have the same problem with being short-waisted. My trainer always comments on it when she measures me. When I was in my 20s, a sales person told me to shop for dresses in the petite section even though I'm 5'9" tall, and, although I felt like an amazon among those little ladies, the dresses fit so much better. Not sure if that would work for skirts, and it definitely doesn't work for jackets.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #95  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by clvquilts View Post
Hang that dress where you can see it every day for inspiration. Consider getting it in two or three sizes smaller so you can have something to work toward.
First of all I bought it in a size 10. For the past month I keep taking 10's and 12's into the dressing room, though I've been wearing the 10 for a month now. I always think it's some kind of fluke, like it must run big or something. But, nope the 10's fit me. I even bought an *8* yesterday, but and this is a big one - it's from Old Navy and I know there stuff runs large. Anyway, I loved this dress soooo much I really considered buying it smaller. Or not at all, since I'm not at goal and it's the type of dress I want to have for a long time. But I have 2 social functions coming up in May and this will be perfect for them. They are with different people, so I can wear it to both functions. So, I just said the heck with it, I deserve to look and feel good at these events - so I took the plunge and bought it even thought it was way too expensive for me not being at goal yet, but what the heck.

Another strange thing happens to me when I go shopping, which is quite often nowadays. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if yes, well when will it pass? I go shopping and clearly I'm way into the regular sizes now, and I have been for months. When I go shopping I am so paranoid that the sales help and the other shoppers will look at me and think, what the heck is she doing here? She can't wear these clothes, who is she kidding? There's something wrong with me, isn't there?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #96  
Working My Way Back Down

Yay, on the dress, Robin! It's so great to find something like that (actually to find a dress that flatters you at any size, but smaller is better!)

Nelie - I'm 5'4" and I need petite pants for the rise as well as the length. If you have a regular rise, you may want to look for "short" rather than petite, or find a good alterations place! On the other hand, I'm quite long waisted, and this fashion of shirts that come just to the top of your hips drives me nuts. I just can't stand it that every time I lift my arms I expose my belly! I end up wearing plain t-shirts (i.e. no advertising) so they are long enough either to tuck in or stay down over my pants tops. I really cannot wear dresses that have a built-in or elastisized waist. It's more a comfort thing, as they sit just below my ribs, while my actual waist is 3-4" lower - I keep tugging at them, a very unattractive look. Skirts and tops are a much better look for me, or a sheath or unfitted dress. This is a fact that doesn't change no matter what size I get down too. Sigh.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #97  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Another strange thing happens to me when I go shopping, which is quite often nowadays. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if yes, well when will it pass? I go shopping and clearly I'm way into the regular sizes now, and I have been for months. When I go shopping I am so paranoid that the sales help and the other shoppers will look at me and think, what the heck is she doing here? She can't wear these clothes, who is she kidding? There's something wrong with me, isn't there?
Robin,
That cracks me up. I've been buying "goal" clothes online because I'm terrified of stepping in the misses section and someone trying to kick me out. Its probably even funnier considering the couple misses XL tops I have are now getting big on me.

Pat,
Maybe we are built alike I have a long waist, short leg and regular rise. I didn't know misses pants came in short? I've been wearing plus size petites for a while and usually I have to wait until they are a little big on me or else the rise is too short.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #98  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, I always get paranoid that people are looking at the sizes on the hangers as I queue to try stuff on and that they're thinking I'm really optimistic. I'm getting over it a bit now (I've been at my current size for around a year now), but I still sometimes can't believe that I can actually fit in some of the sizes I try on.

Although the other funny thing is that I still sometimes buy shoes from the "fat shop" because my feet are big and they do big shoes as well as big shoes. Now I feel self-conscious going in there because I'm worried they'll chuck me out for being to thin to fit in any of their clothes
Old 04-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm so psyched!!! Last weekend, I tried on a pair of capri jeans (Chico's size 2) that I bought 2 years ago. Way, way too huge! I gave them to my Mother-in-law (who is trying to lose but has stalled after 10 pounds or so). She was very happy with them. I have another pair of capri jeans (size 10--I think that roughly translates to a 2 at Chico's). I really liked them, so I put in darts in the waist band and they still fit, but they are starting to fray here and there, so I made it a mission to find a new pair of Capris. I had no luck last weekend, but today I stopped off at Chicos. I'm looking and thinking I must be about a size 1.5 or if I'm lucky a size 1. I'm thinking that translates into 8 (1.5) or 6 (1). I find several things in both sizes and head to the dressing room. They're ALL TOO BIG!!! I ended up getting a pair of Bermuda shorts in a size 0.5 (translate to a 4?). Too cool! I'm that small!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

First, I had no idea there were such things as half sizes!! I've never been in Chico's... but maybe there's a chance I'll fit something there.

We were at a mall tonight that we haven't been in for a while, and I realized that I can shop at almost any store in the mall!!

Robin -- I'm starting to get over feeling like a fraud shopping for misses clothing, but only a little.

I have no idea how I compare to other people, size wise. What do size 12 people look like? So I've taken to looking at the other women who pick up the same size as me in the store, so I can get a realistic sense of what I look like!

Oh, and Robin, you've inspired me. I have this fancy-ish event to go to in May, and I'm thinking I should try to find myself a fancy dress for it!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 AM   #101  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Robin, I also feel like I'm afraid some sales person will wonder what on earth I'm doing taking such small sizes to try on.

I bought me a pair of white jeans last night. Size 4. When I got them home and showed my DH and DD both said they were "definitely too big". Now , usually 4's fit me fine, but these were an off-brand and I thought they would fit. I'm always griping of how thick my waist is and in these the waist and butt was too big. Plus they buttoned only 1/2 inch below my navel while my jeans usually have a lower waist than this.The brand on these jeans was Metro7 and I think a 2 would have been too tight in the thighs. I just see absolutely no consistency in clothes sizes nowdays.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:13 AM   #102  
Meg

Congratulations, Allison! There's no better feeling in the world than trying on something and having it be too big, right? Much better than too small, which is how it always used to be. I've never been able to figure out Chicos sizes.

Heather, yes, you definitely need a fancy new dress to show off the fancy new you! And we'll want pictures, of course.

Lily, clothes sizes make absolutely no sense and jeans are the absolute worst! I have a pair of white jeans too, which I never would have worn in the old days!

It's funny that Heather talked about comparing herself to other people to see what she really looks like. I still do that too because I can't trust what my eyes are telling me. I can put on size 4 pants, look in the mirror and see fat. Then I have to give myself a mental slap because intellectually I know that I don't look fat. But I still see it and I don't know if that will ever change. So yeah, I totally understand about needing an outside point of reference.

There are so many physical and mental body issues after weight loss that I've been talking with Suzanne 3FC about a subforum to talk about body issues. It would cover the mental head stuff and physical things, like excess skin. I think it would be a good addition to Maintainers.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #103  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, clothes. We can go on and on and on, can't we? My DH so doesn't get it. He just shakes his head. Give the man 4 pairs of jeans, one of chinos, 4 plaid shirts and 2 dress shirts, underwear, sock, gym clothes and he's good to go.

I was rearranging my closet over the weekend since I had to move everything so we can paint the bedroom. I have boxes of stuff that I still need to lose a bunch before I can wear, and 2 bags of things that I need only 10 lbs more before I can wear, and a huge bag of stuff that's going to the thrift store, because whether it fits or not, I won't wear it! Now everything in my closet/drawers/shelves FITS and I can see my choices much more easily. I even got rid of some shoes that I'm not likely to wear for a variety of reasons.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #104  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Chico's clothes don't fit my little body. Boo Hoo.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
There are so many physical and mental body issues after weight loss that I've been talking with Suzanne 3FC about a subforum to talk about body issues. It would cover the mental head stuff and physical things, like excess skin. I think it would be a good addition to Maintainers.
Oh, neat idea!!! Definitely a hot issue for me!
Closed Thread