Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #31  

Congratulations SusanB! What a treasure trove. And good luck to everyone else who hits the stores!!

I had luck of another kind when I ventured out. DH and I went to Nordstrom in Indianapolis earlier this week. I was not able to find casual clothes to my taste, but I did find a sensational suit that I didn't buy but am strongly leaning toward. It comes in several colors, and I'm considering "toast," a brown/taupe that will look sensational with black, navy blue, cream (of course), pink, lavendar and white. Full disclosure: I don't buy anything that I can't wear with a whole host of blouses and tops. Must be by Scottish heritage

But more important is a lesson I learned from the particuarly helpful sales associate. I'd pull out a Size 12, and she'd say no no no ... try this 10. I'd pull out another 12 and she'd say ... well, you get the picture. Finally, she got exasperated and asked me why I insisted on buying baggy clothing; that the things I was trying on only made me look sloppy and -- bigger She even steered me to 8's a couple of times and, you know what .... she was right.

In this day and age of ever-declining sales service, it's darn hard to find this kind of help, but when you do, ain't it great. Not only did she help me find a suit I really like, she taught me several lessons about fitting clothes to my particular frame.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks
Old 03-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I went shopping yesterday and it was such fun!

I went back to that Talbot's outlet -- they were having a big sale. Basically, after the stores put all their clothes on deep discount, it comes to the outlet, and they discount it another 40-75%.

I was there for over 3 hours and bought a dozen items (and spent about $150 total). What a change from previous experiences!

I also bought a couple of size 10s!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Well my shopping plans got derailed today. I was all psyched. I was going to even walk into Ann Taylor Loft today after reading about it here. I went to the mall and it was surrounded by police everywhere. On every single side. On foot, in vans, cars, motorcycles, scooters. Just everywhere. I have no idea what was going on. I sure hope everybody is all right. But I am GREATLY disappointed.

Carolyn, your pictures are amazing.
LOL! Are you kidding us??

What ended up being wrong over there? What bad luck..LOL

Wyllen, I'm with you, I just love end of the season sales; I usually do most of my winter shopping in January and my summer shopping in July; I'll get a few things at the beginning of the season and the majority during the sales. I just LOVE a bargain!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #34  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

WTG ladies, on all the new clothes and new smaller sizes. Everyone is making me want to shop too. I'll wait til after we get home from camping. I figured out that this trip is gonna cost us quite a bit. With totally stocking the new camper. I've already spent about $1000.00 this week. Plus sense I'm using my expedition to pull the boat and DH is driving the camper, I expect to spend $150.00 or more in gas alone. It is strange how the expenses have added up, I could have taken a cruise for what I have spent.

My BD is next Sunday and may tell DH not to buy me gifts, just let me go pick myself some summer clothes out. (I've seen what he buys and don't want to chance that). Last night I saw some really cute solid red and solid navy colored capris that I like. Now that everything fits, I could easily go wild with shopping. I did buy a bunch of nice, new undies and threw all my bigger undies away. I need new sandals for this summer. I bought some that I loved last summer, but alas my puppy chewed them up. (I never hardly even wore them because that is when my ankle was all messed up). I bought some nice summer dresses at the end of last summer that haven't been wore yet. It is fantastic to know that my size hasn't changed and I can wear them this summer.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #35  

Not knowing whether my size will change more makes it difficult, but I'm not going to complain. 2 years ago I had NO options at the mall as I was > size 24! I can't complain for having so many choices now!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #36  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Mami I never found out what happened at the mall. SO FRUSTRATING. I was practically in tears. I am going to attempt to go shopping again this Monday morning. I hope Macy's sale will still be going on. It says that its through Monday, but if you get there early enough sometimes they still honor the prices. The bad thing about going on Monday is I must be at work by 1:00, so I won't have much time. We shall see what happens.

Wyllen I couldn't agree more. I don't know if I will remain this size for the next 6 months or the next 6 weeks. Very difficult indeed to shop. Although, like you I AM NOT complaining. Last year at this time I was barely fitting into a size 26/28. So, ummm yeah, I can deal with not knowing for now and somehow, just somehow I will have to learn to live with all those choices. Yay!!!! Choices are good. Very good in fact.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #37  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
I bought some nice summer dresses at the end of last summer that haven't been wore yet. It is fantastic to know that my size hasn't changed and I can wear them this summer.
Lily, isn't that great? I am still amazed that I don't need to buy an entirely new wardrobe each year. At first I would go up a size each year and need new clothes, then I started going down sizes, but now I am comfortably fitting in clothes from over a year ago. WOOHOO!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #38  
lilybelle

Jessica, it is great that I can wear what I bought last year. I got my dresses at end of summer clearance, knowing full well that I wouldn't have a chance to wear them. It is really much less expensive to buy out of season and that is something I couldn't ever do before.

Wyllen and Robin, I used to wear a very snug size 20, so I love the choices that I have now. Before almost all my clothes came from Lane Bryant.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #39  

You know, I was a Lane Bryant chick since college. I remember the first time I walked in there and could finally find clothes that FIT -- rather than looking for 14/16s in the regular stores (seems they were much less frequently found in regular stores back then).

Despite not really loving LB, it was a life-saver in many ways.

I got really depressed when I got too big to fit into the clothes at the (physical) LB stores (and all the other physical stores!). I wonder sometimes if I would have been so motivated to lose weight if I had more clothing options...
Old 03-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #40  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Another Lane Bryant girl here. There clothing was pretty decent looking, sometimes. But their choices were sparse and their prices well - weren'tsparse.

Wyllenn, one of the real eye openers for me before starting my journey was that I was barely fitting into Lane Bryant's largest size. And that terrified me - beyond belief. It was a major factor in starting my lifestyle change. After that it really became one thing after the other. Had their clothing sizes been even smaller, perhaps I would have started earlier. If there clothing sizes went larger .......... you know what? I don't even wanna go there.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #41  
lilybelle

Robin, I too noticed that LB was expensive . I bought capris there size 14 after losing my first 35 lbs. I paid $38.00 a pair for them. It is nice now that I can buy capris for $15.00 a pair. I did like LB's mid-thigh length shorts and I haven't found anywhere else that I can buy them that I like as well.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

CityLine is a programme out of Toronto. A couple of days a week they do fashion shows. This morning's was from the Gap. Black and white, khaki and red. I like that!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #43  
Meg

After another futile shopping trip, I have two more pet peeves. First, cowl necks. I disliked them in the 70s and haven't changed my mind. Not flattering, on me at least.

And more generally, why can't I find 'smalls' in the stores? Geez, forget the sale racks - those are all 'L' and 'XL'. But the smalls are immediately snatched up even in the regular price stuff. A sales clerk told me once that her store only gets ONE size 4 of any item of clothing.

There's a gorgeous shade of orange-y coral all over the stores ... if you've got the coloring for it, this is your summer!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:37 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I went out today and got into a lovely pair of size 14 black "career separate" pants. They sit lower on the waist, have an overlapping tab, semi-wide waistband. I love them, and while I still want to lose some inches before wearing them out of the house, they are a 14. Considering I was in 20s from LB in September, I'm pleased. I also just mail-ordered this top from Macys:

http://www.macys.com/catalog/product...2&BannerID=264

I've decided to do most of my shopping online as well, bc I hate rooting thru the racks. If I don't like something or it doesn't fit, I can return it to the real store. But my kids play hide and seek in the racks which drives me nuts that they will get lost, so I can't do it with them around at all, unless dh goes with me to keep an eye on them while I browse.

You know, I used to be a "mom-jeans" wearer too (high waist band) and thought I would never want pants not on my waist band. Well, enough episodes of What Not to Wear under my belt, and now when I see the poor mom's in their high waist jeans, I hear Stacy saying "That just takes your biggest area and covers it in denim in the shape of a triangle with huge pockets plastered on it!" She's right. You do cut the bum in half when you lower the waistband. And not LO-RISE, just the "sits at natural waist" pants, which means at the navel, not at the smallest part of your waist. Finding the right pants makes all the difference, but I'll never go back to the high rises now that I've seen the light. So don't give up my friends, you just have to get the right pair on you.

Oh, and I think "flare" really = bell-bottoms. I got stuck with a pair or 2 of those on as well. The boot cut is really just a straight leg. We're just so used to wearing the tapered pants of the 80s and 90s that we don't recognize a straight leg.

OK, off to check the Loft online after all your good recommendations here.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #45  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Boy do I have shopping stories.

None of the clothes from last year fit, obviously. None are even remotely close to wearable. And 4 weeks from tomorrow, I leave on a 10 day cruise for the honeymoon. So off to buy a new complete wardrobe (could we have picked a more clothing-intensive honeymoon, by the way, than a cruise? Day wear, casual dinner wear, formal dinner wear, swimwear, loungewear, gymwear....)

However, I have -very- few complaints about the styles this season...except that strappy sandals seem to be out. I particularly love all of the young spring dresses floating around out there...JC Penney had literally 50 different spring dresses, all halters or strapless or tank dresses, for 25 dollars on sale. So between Sarah and I, we bought 8 of them. This may seem like a lot of casual/sundresses, until you consider that they can all be worn for informal dinner nights on the cruise (of which there are 7), pre-wedding activities, activities prior to my SISTER's wedding in July (shower, rehearsal dinner), PLUS the semi-formal wedding of a friend also happening in July. All in all I'm sure we'll get 2-3 special occasions each, not to mention countless brunch dates, spring and summer activities, and etc of of them, which makes them well worth the investment. And can I just say that I LOVE that I could easily find each dress in a 10 or 12, depending on cut, and that it looked FABULOUS.

In addition - lots of capri pants, lots of tank tops, and lots of t-shirts. AND...lots more gym wear! It is literally impossible for me to walk into a store and not purchase gym wear...plus i went down a few bra band sizes and needed new sports bras. I'm feeling much better about the cruise wardrobe now...was getting seriously worried I'd end up wearing the same 3 pieces over and over.
Closed Thread