Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #151  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jones New York factory store? Hmmm... I don't care for factory outlets but we are going to albuquerque in September and I love Jones New York!

Funny thing is the size 18s I'm wearing now were actually my goal for that September trip. Its a huge work conference with a lot of people both DH and I know and have worked with for many years.

Now all I have to do is get into the size 16s I have from New York and Company....
Old 05-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #152  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Thank you very much. That's basically the same as here, then, cos everywhere's got a UK 8 and some sixes...and I've heard of four though not seen it. I remember when all women wanted to be a 10! (ie US 6) Thanks again x
Old 05-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #153  
Mel

Size 0's and then 00's were introduced by stores owned by Limited brands first- The Limited, Express, then Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and Ann Talor Loft. Concurrenty, they "upsized" everything a size. I went from wearing a 4 to wearing a 2 in the same exact pant one week last summer. I did not change. 0's have been around for a while- I have some from when my daughter was in high school that were hers and she graduated in 2001.

I've found the tiny sizes tend to be in either the "younger" trendier stores, or in the more expensive and designer lines. Talbots carries most of their clothes in 2 or 0 and that's certainly not a "young" store around here Nordstroms has 0's in their petites department and their designer sections. And those a REAL zeros. I can barely get my leg through the waist!

Mel
Old 05-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #154  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Oh I know, vanity sizing is so funny. I'm a smaller dress size than my mum ever was but some of the waists on her college clothes are like bracelets! Maybe 20 years from now we'll only have minus numbers, with exactly same measurements as today,and then everybody can tiny! . *Ends threadjack with thanks*
Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I figured out the 00 thing in at least one store. Suzy Shier is a chain of 'youngish' affordable clothing around here. Most of their stuff is a slash size. 7/8, 13/14 etc so there is a 1/2 and the next size smaller is 00

BTW ... they have 3 or 4 styles of great coloured t-shirts on sale 2/$15 right now. The kelly green and red are lovely.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #156  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

My eBay ordered size 4 Gap skirt finally arrived yesterday and it's too big. So my online shopping only worked 2 out of 5 tries. But the total price I paid for 5 items was less than if I had bought just one in a store.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Carolyn,

You can always resell them on Ebay. I always do that if I've bought something that turns out not to fit.

But you need to start buying smaller clothes! You're small!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #158  
Carolyn

Baffled - DH started his new job on Tuesday so we'll have the first paycheck in 3 months in a few weeks. Then I can go 'real' clothes shopping. I did get some jeans and shorts that fit at Goodwill and some shirts at TJMaxx plus a really cute sundress that I wore to the Memorial Day cocktail party at our yacht club. But I froze in it even with a coat on.

Finding clothes small enough has been a problem. With vanity sizing varing from label to label, it's hard to find things to fit. There are plenty of women who are skinnier than me. I look at them now and think, "hmm, where do they shop?"
Old 06-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #159  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Yesterday DD and I spent several hrs. shopping at the mall for swimsuits. I had earlier bought a tankini suit that I ended up not really liking after wearing it once to the lake. I tried on a total of 14 swimsuits before I bought one. My DD must have tried on at least 25 of them. I tried several that had the little skirt thing on the bottom and I just didn't like them. Felt like I'd be swimming in a dress. LOL. My biggest problem was finding one that had a little support on the top. I ended up buying a one-piece that is dark brown with a little gold circle on the lower part of the waist. It is not fancy, but the fit was right. My previous swimsuit that I bought (2 yrs. ago) was a size 14 and it was literally falling off of me. This one is a size 8. (Since I normally wear a size 10-12 in shirts, I didn't think an 8 would fit in a swimsuit). Sizes are just so crazy that it really does require me to try on tons of stuff before I buy anything. I got this one at JC Penney's and it has the longitude/latitude control so holds the tummy nice and flat. Gotta love that. My legs aren't really the problem so the skirt thingie really isn't necessary for me. Now if they would just put some little sleeves in the arms to cover up my flabby upper arms, I'd look just dandy in a swimsuit. LOL.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #160  
Carolyn

UGH! Shopping for bathing suits is the worst thing. I've only looked through a few racks and didn't even want to try on what I saw. I'm thinking I'll try to fix the elastic in the bottoms of my size 12 suits that I love and shorten the rib cage straps on the tops. Wish me luck with the needle and thread.

Today, we're going to a college graduation party and I'm wearing my new sundress. I feel so thin and young in it.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #161  
Meg

Carolyn, my dear, I'm not sure it's possible to make a size 12 swimsuit fit your teensy tiny little self! Unless you're the most talented seamstress in the world, I think you're going to need to go shopping.

Lily, it sounds like you did really well! My suit is a size larger than I usually wear too -- I think bathing suits have a whole size range of their own, like wedding dresses.

I'm sticking with the tankini I bought after I reached goal. It will never cover up everything that needs it, so - who cares?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #162  
lilybelle

Carolyn, I think that would be very hard to alter a swimsuit down as tiny as you are now.

Meg, LOL that is kinda what I thought. Even though my new suit doesn't look perfect, none of them ever will. I sometimes just am amazed at how vain I am now about how my clothes look. I'm so self-conscious in a swimsuit and I just know I've gotta look better than I did 90 lbs. ago and I think it bothers me more now than it did then. Then, I just accepted that I looked crappy, now I want to look perfect and it just isn't gonna happen. EVER. So watch out water, here I come.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:35 AM   #163  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I tried on my size 16 capris today and they fit really well. DH took one look at me and told me I was an itty bitty thing. That is one reason I love him
Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #164  
lilybelle

Nelie, WTG on the clothing NSV and the great compliment from your DH. You are really doing so awesome. Congrat's.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I wore a midrift fitting t-shirt with a skirt to church last week. It's lovely standing up but sitting down is another story (read here little rolls).
A woman asked DH if I'd gained weight.
My darling man .... laughed and said "OH, I don't think so ..."

I guess I'll wear looser shirts
Closed Thread