Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 12:26 AM   #31  

Default Fingers are crossed, Marcie!

Marcie,

I am so excited for you!

I surely hope that this job works out! Bless your heart, I know that you are deserving! GOOD LUCK! I hope that tomorrow you get the great news.

Ladies, I was looking through a fast & healthy cookbook... stumbled across a recipe that sounds tasty. Would you be so kind as to help me modify it for LA?

SHRIMP & ORANGE SALAD
(dinner for 2)

Prep time: 15 min

~ 1/2 lb shelled deveined uncooked med shrimp
~ 2 cups purchased mixed slad greens
~ 1 orange, peeled, separated into segments & cut into bite- sized pieces
~ 2 T orange juice
~ 2 t olive oil
~ 2 t Dihon mustard
~ 1/8 t freshly ground black pepper

1~ In med saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add shrimp. Reduce heat to med; cover & cook 3 to 5 min or until shrimp turn pink. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.

2~ Arrange salad greens on serving platter or 2 individual plates. Top with shrimp & orange pieces.

3~ In small bowl, combine orange juice, oil, mustard, & pepper; blend well. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad.

2 servings

Serving size: 1/2 of recipe
Calories 170 Calories from fat 50
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated 1 g
Cholestrol 130 mg
Sodium 290 mg
Total Carbo 12 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 16 g

I don't believe that olive oil is OP, perhaps due to sodium?
suppose could sub one of allowed oils.

what about Dijon mustard?

let me know what you think?

share any recipes that you have.

Take care!
Nancy
Old 09-28-2001, 01:59 AM   #32  

Default another recipe

Ladies, these were from Pillsbury

Grilled Tuna with Apricot Salsa

Prep Time: 20 min

2 apricots, peeled, chopped
1 T chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 t sugar (sub sugar substitute)
1/8 t garlic salt (sub garlic powder & lite salt)
1/2 t fresh lemon juice
2 (6-oz) tuna steaks, well trimmed (tuna or any unilmited fish or perhaps chicken breast)

1~ Heat grill. In sm bowl, combine all ingred except tuna steaks; mix until sugar is dissolved. Cover; refrigerate.

2~ When ready to grill, place tuna on gas grill over med heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from med coals. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tuna flakes easily with fork, turnig once. Serve with apricot salsa.

2 servings

Calories p/serv 250 from Fat 70
Sodium 180 mg

I've never tried this apricot salsa... but it sounded good to me to add some variety in my diet. I don't believe that I have ever bought fresh apricots... has anyone?

thinking that it might go well with grilled salmon.

pineapple salsa would be good too

Please share any ideas or comments.

I hope that everyone has a great weekend!

Nancy
Old 09-28-2001, 11:30 AM   #33  

Hi Everyone:
Marcie Good luck!
ChrissyB I had one of those days this week I just let they day be over with and got OP the next day and I end up having an O.K. week.
Nancy and Jibbelle I took your advice and added a drink to my day instead of having two bars I have a drink and a bar, I will see how that goes I'd hate to give up both of them but I guess I got to do what I need to if I want to keep going down. And at the center she said maybe not having my favorite cheese curls everyday just maybe 5 times a week, she said wanted me to lose more than 1 pound a week. I hope this gives me a kick.
Diane
Have a nice weekend everyone!

4/10/01 201
9/27/01 159.75
goal 135
Old 09-28-2001, 06:16 PM   #34  

Congrats Marcie! The job sounds like a great possibility!

Anyone have any big plans for the weekend? I am going to weigh-in first thing in the morning....and to a hockey game tomorrow night. GO BLUES!!! No beer or munchies for me though. I guess I will have to hide a chocolate crunch bar in my purse.

I will post tomorrow after weigh-in!

The recipes look great...and probably only require a few minor modifications.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 09-28-2001, 09:04 PM   #35  

Hey Ladies,

I had my weigh-in today... I lost 1 1/4 lbs... not much, but at least a loss.

I did my 2 mile walk in 30 minutes before going to work & after work headed to the center. My daughter & I covered just about every Wal-Mart & craft store in P'cola looking for red, white, & blue beads & safety pins. Not much luck... will have to try again next week. We did find a few safety pins in an assorted pkg at a Winn Dixie. I bought 5 kiwi & 6 pks of safety pins from the cutest young boy... wish that my unwed daughter had been with me... anyhow, he asked what the deal was with the safety pins I asked him if they had been flooded with folks looking for them. He said, "no". I told him that the area Wal-Marts & the craft stores & the drug stores that we checked were sold out. I then told him that you used them to string red, white, & blue beads to make a flag.

Jibbelle, I hope that you have lost bunches of pounds when you weigh-in tomorrow. ENJOY the hockey game!

Marcie, did you find out anything? I'm still pulling for you! still got my fingers crossed! Hope that you found out something great & you are out celebrating.

Diane, I hope that the modifications give you the kick you need. Keep us posted.

I may have to do something different myself... today, I didn't eat a thing (except 2 of my fruits) until after 4 PM... that's the 1st day since I've been on LAWL that I really haven't eaten at the right time other than a few mornings when we slept in. There was just no time... I did drink my water throughout the day... but, I know that I ate too much & too late tonight... Tomorrow is a brand new day... so, I'll just have to try to do lots better! I do so much better when I don't have to leave the house. Tomorrow will be a little crazed, but, I'm going to try to eat before we go to my grandson's ballgame.. it doesn't start until 1:30, so everything should be

I take bottled water to the game & last week, I even packed my hubby's lunch & met him at the game... he had worked all night... he tried the hamburgers at the stadium the week before... yuck, he said... so, he buys a coke there.

Post your recipes ladies, please!

I hope that everyone has a beautiful fun-filled weekend!

Nancy
Old 09-29-2001, 08:37 AM   #36  

Nancy-

It sounds like you may have gotten another two miles in while shopping! I have never eaten fresh apricots but I love the dried ones. My mom has bought them and dehydrated them herself...they are yummy!

The mall is opening at 8:00 this morning for big sales. I think I am going to run by there before I go to the center this morning. I really need some new jeans....mine are getting threadbare. Maybe if I buy some that are just a tiny bit snug then it will be motivation to lose faster! I would also love to get a couple new shirts to wear to work this fall. I do not want to spend too much money since hopefully these clothes wont fit me this time next year!!!

I will let you know how weigh in goes when I get back. I will love to be under 270...that is my goal for September. We will see how it goes...I am soooooo close!!!!

Take care all and have a great weekend!
Old 09-29-2001, 11:14 AM   #37  

Thumbs up gained????

I just got back from the center and they said I was at 272...a two lb gain!!!! ARGHH!!! I am hoping it is some fluid retention or something because I worked hard all week to lose...I only had one "no no" and that was on Monday. I should have made up for that by Saturday dont you think???

I am going back to the center Monday afternoon and I better be DOWN!!! I am mad at those 2 lbs. Bad pounds...go away big mean nasty pounds!!!

Ok...I feel better now.

Anyone else have weigh in today??? Perhaps someone with good news to report?
Old 09-29-2001, 12:27 PM   #38  

Hi Jibbelle:
I weighed into day I was down 3/4 pound so your advice worked for me, a total of 1 3/4 pounds this week so thanks again. I think sometimes we are hardest on ourselves, for instance you were offering me advice when I was stuck, I think we want things so bad sometimes that it is hard to wait.
I am not sure but I am looking for a Christmas goal of reaching my goal weight I ended up buying more bars today they offered 10% off if you bought in bulk so I bought extra for maintence.
I weigh in on Monday to I hope you reach your mini goal. Right now I happy when the scale moves in the right direction I am tired of ups and downs.
Have a great weekend.
Diane

4/10/01 201
9/29/01 159
goal 135
Old 09-29-2001, 01:40 PM   #39  

Diane-
Congrats on your loss! You should be at your goal by Christmas. What a great present that would be!!!
Old 09-29-2001, 06:08 PM   #40  

Default Good to Be Back!

Hi guys! I haven't logged on since Tuesday.....been so busy! I really missed you guys!

When I weighed in Wednesday I was at 198.5!!! UNDER 200!!!!!! I maintained on Friday, and that's okay! I'm less then 20 pounds away from the goal I set at LA (180, 160 is my personal goal) I've lost 34 pounds in just over 2 months! That's my two year old!!!! We were in Walmart today (also looking for red white and blue ribbon, since AC Moore is sold out!) and I picked Vivian up and she seemed SOOO heavy. I looked at Erik and said I can't believe I was carrying this around all the time!

Marcie: Good Luck on the job offer!! You so deserve it! Let us know!!!

Jibbelle: Have fun at the hockey game! And try not to stress about the small gain! It may be water retention!!! Have you tried taking water pills, I do during my TOM, and it seems to help.

Nancy, I've seen people wearing the flag beaded safety pins! I looked in AC Moore for red, white and blue beads (after not being able to find the ribbon) to no avail! I made over 100 ribbons, and I still have people asking me everyday for one. (I don't even have one anymore, because I usually end up giving mine away) Hopefully I'll be able to find ribbon soon! We did find a shop today that had a few flag lapel pins left, so we got a few of those.

Good Luck at staying OP this weekend, we Are the biggest bunch of losers and I personally LOVE it!

Starting Weight 232.5
Current Weight 198.5
Goal HOTTIE
Old 09-30-2001, 10:16 AM   #41  

Congrats on the loss Sasse! That is awesome! Under 200lbs is a HUGE milestone! I can not wait to be there myself.

The hockey game was great last night...we won! WOOHOO I didnt eat any of the munchies, but I did have 1.5 diet Pepsi. That is ok considering the damage I could have done. I was pretty proud of my willpower....there were bowls of munchies everywhere and I did not nibble once.

Do any of you ever buy Mrs Dash? I noticed there is a whole line of sodium free spice blends and I was wondering if anyone knew how they were for rubs on the chicken we seem to eat almost daily!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 09-30-2001, 10:27 AM   #42  

Thumbs down YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited for you guys! You are a bunch of losing fools!! Jibbelle, you have done too well....I am sure it is just fluid retention! Don't get down you are awesome!!!!!

Well I went in and interviewed for that job on Friday and all seemed to go well. The president said that they had to interview 2 other people but he felt confident enough in me that he went on ahead and sent me for a drug test and a physical Friday afternoon. So I guess that is great news! I am supposed to bring the paperwork back in on Monday. Maybe I will know something this week. Oh golly I hope so! I just so can't wait to be losing with you guys again. I am even at a point that I would be happy at 160 instead of 145 like I originally thought. Anyway..enough rambling for me...I just can't wait to get back on track!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!! Can you believe that Oct 1. is tomorrow?? Where did the time go???
Old 09-30-2001, 11:11 AM   #43  

Default Sending Out "Job Vibes"

Marcie: I'm sending out "job vibes" for you!!! I think it's a GREAT sign that they went on to send you for the drug test and physical. That costs THEM money, and most company's won't waste it on someone they aren't planning on hiring!!! Let us know what happens!! We are ALL rooting for you!!!!! But don't give up on your goal! 145 is a doable goal, you may just need to refine your timeline, but that's okay, it's a journey. 145 is only 15 lbs lighter then 160, so if you can get to 160, 145 is just a hop, skip and jump away from there!!! I'm 18.5 pounds from the goal I set with LA......I've already lost 34, so I KNOW that 18.5 will come off! I'm 38.5 away from my "personal" goal of 160, just under half way there. If I've come this far, I KNOW I can make it the rest of the way. And YOU CAN TOO!!!!

Jibbelle: GREAT JOB AT THE HOCKEY GAME!!!!! It's so hard to say "no, thanks" when there is so much temptation around you. I know when I'm surrounded by so much temptation, I might just have a nibble of something that is SOOOO bad, just to get me through! You did AWESOME!!!!

Well, this is supposed to be my weekend off, but it's end of month inventory, so I have to go in this afternoon! I have TONS of laundry to do, so I better get busy if I'm going to get it done before I have to go count ciggarettes!! (what fun!) I keep repeating to myself...it's overtime, it's overtime! But that doesn't make me look forward to it anymore!!!

Starting weight 232.5
Current weight 198.5
Goal HOTTIE
Old 09-30-2001, 12:46 PM   #44  

Hey Ladies,

Look at Sue! Sue, you have done so well! I know that you are feeling great to be under the 200 mark. Before you know it you will be at your LA goal. Congratulations! ... hottie...

I hope to be where you are at Christmas. I've got to get busy!

Jibbelle, I'm glad that your willpower was working and working OT while at the hockey game. You did good, real good! I'm proud of you. It isn't easy, especially when in a crowd & when having fun.

Marcie, I bet that you have landed this job! A drug test & a physical... you are most probably in the door! I sure hope that everything turns out for you! Keep us posted!

Diane, glad to hear that you got those scales moving again! Keep it up! (down !)

Well, I had a terrible scare last night... my son called a little after midnight.. said that he was taking his wife to the hospital... for me to come stay with my grandson. My daughter that lives here got up & went with me... 20 miles to their house... 45+ miles from their house to hospital...I asked when we got to their house if they wanted me to go w/them & leave Kan with Lee. No, we both stayed w/Lee. She had swelling in the back of her head/upper neck.. the er was packed.. my son called when they got their... she had began having difficulty breathing & they were both panicing... other emergencies in front of them... i had not taken time to quiz them before they left knowing that i knew little & felt like she needed medical attention asap. Anyhow, as it turns out while waiting at the er, she developed diarrhea.. this continued for awhile & as it did the swelling went down. After 3 hrs in the er, seeing no dr... she called to say that they were better & coming home... she needed a shower. I was somewhat relieved by the call, but praying that it was ok not to be seen... again, I didn't press forward with questions. When they arrived home... she filled in the blanks. Seems that it was an allergic reaction or possible food poisoning. She had baked some frozen deviled crab cakes (she's not allergic to crab... has always eaten that as well as the crab ease (artificial)), but she said that she only ate a portion of one of the cakes... said it just wasn't good... she had fixed something different for my son & grandson. (THANK GOODNESS, & THANK GOODNESS that she didn't eat it all). She told me that around 11-ish, she was watching tv... said that her legs were really itching... but she thought that it may have been something she had gotten into while playing football earlier that day... then she said that she thought something had bit her on her chest because it stung... she noticed then that she was broke out in hives.... she wasn't too alarmed until she went to pull her hair up to wash her face, when she discovered these large lumps in the back of her head... Anyhow, we are just so blessed that she is doing ok! I dug the box out of the garbage & put it in a ziploc bag... unsure as to whether it was a bad batch or some ingredient. Anyone of you have any clue?

Take care everyone!

I didn't go to bed until 5 AM... going to go help hubby with laundry & give my son & daughter-in-law a call to see how she is doing today.

Never knew that I would find so much comfort being around a bunch of loosers!

Thank each of you for being here! Have a wonderful day & a great week!

Nancy
Old 09-30-2001, 01:15 PM   #45  

Marcie--
The jobs sounds oh-so-promising!! *still keeping fingers crossed*

Thanks to everyone for being so supportive...it never ceases to amaze me what a great bunch we have here!!! Tomorrow is weighin so maybe I will have some good news to report to everyone!

Nancy-
I am glad to hear that your daughter-in-law is doing ok. My grandmother had a similar reaction once to some seafood dip. She ended up at the hospital also...but I cant remember what exactly happened. She got better pretty quickly though. I dont think they ever figured out exactly what caused the reaction, but she has never had the same problem again.

I too am doing laundry...so I better get the next load in.

Take care all!
Closed Thread