Old 03-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #571  

Michelle - I read an article in Oprah's magazine about mercury poisioning - it seems that canned tuna is okay if it's light meat, not white? I can try to find the exact list if you're interested.

We also had a terrific thunderstorm here on Monday - just like summer. Loved it, except turned off the computer.
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #572  

The FDA recommends limiting canned tuna consumption to 12 ounces of tuna per week, of which not more than 6 ounces should be from white/albacore tuna.

I don't eat tuna more than once a week anyway, and the low-sodium albacore (that LAWL originally recommended before the new plan) is SO much lower in sodium that I think I will just stick with that. I'm more worried about sodium than mercury!

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:38 AM   #573  

Hi Chicks.....
I LOVE rain - it's my favorite natures sprinkling.......It's really good for two things;
watching movies and you know.....lol We are suppose to get some in the next few days. Probably Sat becuz that's our big move day.
FI - LA and most diets are expensive, when I'm on plan sometimes run out of the proper stuff and I can't make it to the store, I consider those times "legal breaks" ..lol
Matter of fact, I'm on one right now - it's becuz of the moving (Life Happens), I know it will be over soon, probably by Monday. Oh and I remembered they Saved By The Bell guys name, Slater...I use to watch it while I was getting ready for work....
Julie - I'm so pleased you are seeing all the pluses of exercise, but I'm telling you once you get the new workout clothes, it just gets better......lol
Bev - Don't be down, when I feel like I haven't made the progress I want or thought I should have, I think of how BIG I would be if I had given exercise and diet alltogether....it would be moo-moo city then and once we reach the moo-moo stage why hold back on the bon-bons???? Your doing great, don't judge yourself by your size anyhow - your the best apron grandma in your neck of the woods!
Michele - Have you stopped celebrating that birthday yet? Until I met you I thought I was the only one that partied for my birthday for weeks....lol
Sy - Good advice - you are always so level headed about being on plan. Ditto to you Julie....
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #574  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

Oh, i finished celebrating after that day, but it's taken me awhile to get rid of the weight from it...
Mitchypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:22 PM   #575  

Michele - Well that must of been one heck of a one day bd celebration. I thought it was longer just becuz you have been in recovery phase for awhile now.....lol Not meaning that to sound like a smart_ss remark Becuz I'm still in recovery phase from Christmas.....

Last edited by Starlynn; 03-30-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 PM   #576  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Hi All, and welcome to the new ladies.

Well, I made it through my very long Easter weekend. I did very well in the eating department due to circumstances mainly beyond my control. Let's see...I had been battling constipation and severe water weight gain cause TOM was 2 weeks late. I had not been eating well at all, because of the tummy aches. So then on Saturday night I went to my DCousin's house for a night of grilling and playing cards. I had 2 rum and cokes and woke up Sunday morning very nauseous. I was sick during church and long into Sunday afternoon. When the nausea wore off, I ate very little of that big Easter feast that my DMother, DSis and I had worked so hard to prepare.

Skip to Sunday night, when my DH and I took twelve children home (yes 12!) ranging from 3 years old up to 17, and kept them all until last night. Sunday night, all the children's parents were over as well, and a good time was had by all let me tell you.

I am feeling better now (no longer constipated, and TOM has arrived...YES!). Just in time to return to work, which is just as well, because I have a lot to get done after being out the last 2 days. I must say I have missed you chicks.

Okay, I did read all the posts and...

I have some of the NO PUDGE Ice cream bars in my freezer. Don't like em because of the chocolate coating on the outside. It tastes like a brown sponge on top of the ice cream. The ice cream itself is not bad though.

I read the article in the Oprah magazine too and although I knew that tuna could contain mercury I was quite surprised at how heavily concentrated mercury could be in tuna. Wow! Light tuna it will be for me...in the pouch!

Spring is alive and well here too! Today its supposed to be near 70 degrees out (then back into the 30's by tomorrow), but I couldn't resist the urge today to wear only a skimpy sweater to work. No coat! It feels great too. I must confess, however, that I am not looking forward to the rainstorms. They make me very nervous...always have. I'm not skittish about much, but rainstorms and rodents are 2 things I'd just rather never have to experience.

Well you all, it is good to be back. Thin Vibes to you all. I will check back later!
Chklithunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:51 PM   #577  

Wow - Star - that's just what I need to hear sometimes - that we started on this program to change something - if we didn't change it, we'd just keep on getting bigger - but, to be honest, sometimes I think it would be much easier to not watch what I eat . . . but would I be any happier???

Carmen TWELVE kids??? OMG, sounds like one of those movies from the 60's - your's mine and ours .. . Sorry that you felt bad over the weekend, but you put a good spin on it. Glad to hear your take on the ice cream bars - I was thinking of putting FF cool whip on it . . . LOL.

The trees are beginning to get their first buds out this week - I love it.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #578  

Julie - It's funny you mention about it being easier to not watch what we eat. Well when I was heavier, I tried to be happy with it, but somehow I just could never feel good about my size and believe me I tried! I didn't like the way I looked, I hated the way clothes fit me, I hated the styles I had to wear and I was sad that DH (#1) wasn't exactly proud of me anymore. So my guess is you wouldn't be happy either.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #579  
Choc Thunder

Star - you ARE right. I think I am happier dieting and feeling better than I would be otherwise. I mean, I LOVE food. Fettucine alfredo with shrimp and crab chunks and broccoli and mushrooms cut up in it in particular. But the feeling I get after having such types of food is not worth the temporary high I get while eating it. I was well on my way to moo moo ville myself, ready to give up. Like I have said before, I've always been heavy, but I had reached a point where I wasn't comfortable with myself. Though I am married (and usually very happily so), I still appreciate admiring glances from the opposite sex. I like being fine!

I also thought about my DH and how he must be viewing me. He said it didn't matter, but I think it probably did. His appearance certainly matters to me! Yeah I know he loves me, but I also know that he looks at ladies who are more fit than I am. It doesn't hurt my feelings either, because I understand that its natural to have an appreciation of physical beauty. You know? Look but don't touch! I mean sure, he has changed too. There's the receding hairline and the belly fat, but then he's also a lot wiser about life and a lot more laid back than he was all those years ago. I like the ways he's changed, and I want him to feel the same way about me. I want to feel the same way about myself!

Julie - about having all the kids there, it was really cool. Yours Mine and Ours is one of my favorite movies. I had all my siblings kids, and 3 of my cousins' kids, plus my own. A total of 9 boys and 3 girls. They had a blast, and DH and I made it through with only 2 things around the house being broken in as many days. Now, OUR kids are gone someplace so we have a couple of days to ourselves. Wonderful.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:14 PM   #580  

Carmen -
This sounds strange after reading what my last post said about my thoughts on me being too heavy. Even when I was my biggest, I put on makeup, did my hair, dressed nice, worked out and I never saw myself as fat or unattractive. I always thought I looked good. It wasn't until I saw pictures of me that I could really see how heavy I had gotten. Then I would destroy all the pictures.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #581  
Choc Thunder

I really admire people like yourself, who always look perfectly put together no matter what. I just don't have a knack for it. I only wear makeup when I'm dressed up. I guess I'm a plain Jane. I don't even wear makeup to work unless I have a meeting with a group of clients or something like that. When I wear makeup, it makes me feel like I am playing dressup or wearing a costume. I am just not comfortable that way.
When I am at home, its jeans, a t shirt and slippers.

I have thought about starting to wear it more though, because I am starting to show signs of aging and I noticed that when I do have makeup on, I look about 7 years younger. I am afraid though that if I start to wear it constantly I would become one of those women you see without makeup and you want to scream.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:36 PM   #582  

I think one of the interesting things about being overweight is that it sneaks up on us - we don't usually feel it coming on . . Then BAMM - something happens, we catch a reflection of ourselves, see a picture, overhear something, are forced to see ourselves from the outsides - and then see the difference in the way we feel and the way we LOOK. (I still don't know how to resolve this difference between the way we feel and the way we look - I expect that I'd need professional therapy . ..)

Carmen, like you, I've been mainly overweight for most of my life - and I agree with Star, that certainly doesn't mean I don't like nice clothes, jewelry, makeup - I like to dress up and do the girl thing. I don't do it when I'm home by myself though - and there have been months when I've gone to a job with a minimum of makeup - I go through phases of doing it, I guess. . .

And I love food - I love to cook, I love to eat, I love to try new things at restaurants! The question is now - what it's worth? I think I've decided that some things can be special, I can do them once or twice a month, and then enjoy plain food for the rest of the time. And boy, there are certain times when I seem to need (both physically and psychically) the bowl of ice cream. But - it's no longer daily! (another of my small victories).

And good on you for choosing a DH who's mellowed throughout the years - (that was one of the lessons of Yours, Mine and Ours, too, I think)

Hugs,
julie
Old 03-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #583  

Hum? I'm a makeup girl. There was a phase when I lived in Phoenix and was young that I went without, but at 25 & thin - who needs makeup?
Back in the day, I went to modeling school and did a car show or two, hence love of makeup. Today I look best with some makeup on but not too much. No one has gone into shock by seeing me without it that I know of.
Julie, I know this from losing weight afew times before. When you lose the weight you still think and sometimes see yourself as still heavy, it takes time for your mind to see your new body - it's strange!
Victory for me - I stopped getting up in the middle of the night to eat - that ended quite awhile ago. Don't miss it anymore - thank goodness!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:02 PM   #584  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

I'm a makeup girl too, i'm addicted, have been since i was young. I don't wear a lot of makeup, but i love it! I have countless tubes of lipstick, i always have to have lipstick or gloss on, even going to bed, i just hate the feeling of bare lips. I too use to do some modeling when i was very young. I love all that girly stuff, glitter, eyeshadow, skincare, smelly lotions. I use to sell MaryKay a long-time ago too. I should have become a makeup artist or something.
Mitchypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:05 PM   #585  

Star - that's the other side of what I was trying to say - that the way we feel doesn't match the way we actually look, or our health - the body 'image' doesn't match the physical facts. . . At the real far side, we have poor Terry Shiavo. . who apparently was bulimec. .

I love makeup too - I am still searching for that perfect red lipstick. The one that I can feel comfortable wearing without looking like a vampire.