Old 01-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #376  

Morning all,
Thanks so much for your ideas, I can't beleive how quickly you all responded. I feel really confident that I will be able to stick to my plan.You guys are great. Good luck to all today.
Diana
plunks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:52 AM   #377  
234/165.8/160

Good morning ladies,

Star-Rest assured you are not the only one struggling...I just feel like snacking all the time since Christmas. thanks for the pep talk about how far we've come....I needed it. Now to get back on track. yesterday was better...only a handful of Mike and Ike candies and then everything else was OP.

Sy-Marcie is right, you'll probably show that TO loss within the next week...sometimes it takes our bodies a little while to react. thinking of doing TO myself to try to get this sweet tooth under control.

Julie-Hang in there....you'll be in one-derland before you know it! Keep going with the exercise, it should help you break that plateau.

I did my Thin for Life book last night, but haven't started reading it. Got caught up in a true crime novel I also ordered.

Take care,
Jen
auditgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #378  

Default Thanks, all

Thanks for the pep talk, chicks - It's tough!

And thanks for the pep talk on the exercise. I KNOW it's the right thing to do - it only takes a few minutes out of a whole day - I am worth it! And I can feel the balance and the endurance coming back.

Star, I do agree with you that the body doesn't forget the motions even if you don't do it for a long time. And luckily the mind remembers how good it can feel.

So my mini goal is still to reach 195. I think I can, I think I can. . .
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #379  

Star: I just love your mini-lectures! Thanks girlfriend! See lurking and will write when/as much as I can...

P.S. I install the new MS free spyware and totally messed up my DH's apprasial software, he has to go into the off to get the CD so they can walk him through the fit. He's not liking me at the moment (so I'm glad I'm at work), and I can't blame him. Yikes!
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:04 AM   #380  

LOL @ SY! That is exactly why DH doesnt let me near his computer! We each have our own.
Jibbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #381  

Default Another fun thing to do.....

Chicks - I'm so glad you don't mind my min-lectures. Remember always - they are affirmations out loud to myself

Another thing I find very uplifting is to keep afew "before" pictures of me handy. When I feel like I'm not making any progress (or backsliding) I get those out and take a peek That gives me a visual of how far I have come and where I can never go again.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:43 AM   #382  

Star - I avoid "before" pictures as much as possible - I'm still too close to THAT person and it just makes me angry at what I've let myself become. Instead I keep goal pictures on my fridge. One from New Year's Eve 1999 - in it I probly weigh about 120 and look about as good as I ever have, lol, and one from our first trip to Hawaii after Brianna was born. In that one I'm probably at about 170-180. The visual difference between 210 and 180 is obvious but not overwhelming, so it makes a good stepping-stone goal for me.

Fiona

Last edited by mkfionap; 01-11-2005 at 11:51 AM.
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #383  

Fiona - Well whatever helps you stick with it. The difference between 216 and what I am now is enuf to keep me going to goal.......But I guess it's just finding what works best for each of us. There has to be something that everyone of us can do to realize how important it is to just hang in there.....

Last edited by Starlynn; 01-11-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #384  

Hi chicks -
My WI was good - down .6 or .8 - don't understand this. . . But, that's okay.

Star, I think your idea of a picture is a good one - don't have one that now, but will probably have too many after the cruise.

BTW, one thing you said about finding what works best for each of us is one of the points in the Thin for Life book. There is no magic formula (unfortunately).

Sy, I did an upgrade for Earthlink and it included a scamblocker that was driving me crazy! I had to turn it off. Sometimes I wish I never had to upgrade software, esp when everything is working just fine.

Catch up later, chickies!
Julie
Old 01-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #385  
191.8/168.2/160

Hey chicks:

Can you believe the counselor I had to today has cut some of my water out?!!!!?? She said I was drinking too much water. I drink maybe 128 ounces a day. I don't like diet drinks or unsweet tea w/spenda, so I just drink water.
She said I only need to drink 96 ounces, that it may be holding me back!! Heck, I just weighed in at lunch time, fully clothed and weighed exactly the same as I did first thing last Friday morning!! So, I know I've lost>

What's next?
Tams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #386  

Tammy, one of the counselors suggested the same to me - that over 80 oz of water (10 glasses) could cause fluid retention. I asked her why then were decaf tea and coffee unlimited? She said that was a very good question . . .However, I do tend to slow down a little just before WI, to try to, well, you know. Anyway, I think this water rule is something they get in basic training. . .
Old 01-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #387  

Tooooooo much water can be bad for you...especially on a low sodium diet. I dont think that 128 is tooooo much...but who knows.

So...ummm....errr.....does a slice of homemade poundcake (with chocolate swirls...not choclate cake swirls, but chocolate sludge swirls) with homeade chocolate icing count as a starch???? OH MY it was good, but OH MY I feel bad. : ( I am weak!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #388  
191.8/168.2/160

OH , go ahead Marcie and count it as a Starch, but be extra good the rest of the day!!!

I just don't get the water thing......... oh well.

I was also looked down on for buying lites from e-bay. I almost told her to stick a sock in it!
Tams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #389  

Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #390  

Well, Tammy, that way they don't get the commission - I imagine it's tough for them post holidays . . .But I admire you for standing your ground!

Marcie - I'd count that as two starches and would be extra careful ..

BTW, I have heard in that in Victorian times body snatchers (those guys who used to get corpses for doctors to train on) used to kill people by forcing them to drink too much water - I imagine that it's GALLONS not ounces did it. . .