Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #151  
helpingrachel

Good morning! I would like to join this thread and was wondering if there are steps to follow to get connected and finding support. I am just finishing reading the book and I would love to connect for supoort and sharing.

Thanks,
Rachel
Old 01-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #152  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Rachel!! You have found a great place for support!!

davidette~ OH BIG Kudos for getting into the water this morning!! I couldnt possibly even think about it with the temperatures what they are today. Kudos for getting thru your first "planned" eating day!!

lily~ you are sounding quite blue. I intensely dislike the feeling of giving in myself. If you keep coming here posting and reading, hopefully it will pull back to wanting to take care of yourself. Dieting will not decrease your bone density if do it right. You can also start strength training which is also very good for building and protecting your bones.

Bill~ Kudos for you lunges!! Ouch for your hurting elbow Hopefully it is something simple!

landlady~ Thanks so much

Anne~ I love reading how you are working the program, it is reminding me to finish reading the new book. Kudos for the weight falling off!!

onebyone~

Im a little more organized today. Hot coffee and posting ....its a good combo!

Eating is right on, exercise is good. I walked the big mall last night instead of the treadmill. Had a few issues with wanting "goodies" yesterday. Strange as it is, dill pickles seem to knock those wantings out of my brain. Im thinking its the strong flavour. So I have been making a habit of bringing them to work everyday. Hey, what ever works

I seem to have Bill's words stuck with me....."let my body handle the weight part" It is still for foreign for me. But it may be sinking in.

Follow the plan
Get your exercise in
.......and my body will expell the weight as it needs to. hmmmm

Big kudos for a non-diet event!! I made a fundraiser order form in excel yesterday!!! ......and it looks good too!! it only too me 2.5 hrs too!

For a diet event kudos, my favourite yellow polar fleece sweater fits again

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #153  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies The kids are at school, I have the day off, and I've gotten almost caught up on all the household chores that have accumulated over the week. DH helped too. On plan today so far, but considering that's just breakfast, I'll try to check in tonight. Weight down just another few tenths today. I need to pick a reward for my next 5 lb goal. I'll think about that today.

Heidi The Cheat Sheet is a CBDL concept, p. 109 in the "Get Back on Track" Section. It is basically a tool for problem-solving why you go off plan, and try to think of things that can help prevent it next time, whether that's better planning or prep, carrying your planned food with you, managing hunger or cravings better, reading cards, or whatever. It is a useful tool, and seems to take the place of the whole process of the Seven Question technique from BDS. There are always unexpected events that come up in life, and I find I get caught in the ambiguity of "Did I try hard enough?" If I write exceptions down, I don't have to wonder--dealing with a sick child is a legitimate reason to modify a plan (within reason), while having surprise cheesecake at work is not.

Bill Ouch on the elbow. I would suggest that if you worked out while injured, a sub-mediocre workout is probably more than sufficient until you can figure out appropriate modifications (or heal up). Re: sticking to the program, I'm a touch on the obsessive side. If it's working for me, I'm doing it!

Lily Good nutrition and weight bearing exercise will help to improve your bone density! Keep it up. You now have another reason to continue good habits, and checking in here daily will help keep your focus.

davidette I used to just add up the calories through the day too, and as long as I was in the habit of making good choices it worked out. I figure the planning is getting me back in that good habit. I'm actually liking the lower amount of stress on food decisions (trade off now for later and such) by having it written down in advance. It took a while though, and I struggled with the planning (you can see that in the Nov and Dec Beck threads).

Rachel You've taken the steps! Just post here what you need to: questions, requests for support or ideas, progress reports, or anything.

RobinW You are discovering that you can only control your behavior and let your body handle the weight loss! That is really good because now you can focus on what is in your control, and kind of step back from what you can't.

I'll try to check in quickly tonight. Off to get my hair cut and dyed, and run some errands.

Anne
Old 01-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #154  

Coaches/Buddies On plan today. Got my errands done. DS had another round of shots. I'm pretty tired, so I'm off for my final snack of the day and then to get some sleep!

Anne
Old 01-17-2009, 04:49 AM   #155  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Rachel (helping rachel)

Rachel (helping rachel)

Welcome to the Complete Beck Diet for Life / Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Buddy / Diet Coach Group.

And, in honor of your first post on 3FC,

How did you find out about the Beck book that you just finished?

And how did you find this thread on 3FC?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #156  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Thanks for the encouragement for my elbow. I took the big step; finally figured out that the best way to get my doctor to look at it was to make an appointment. Did that (for next Wednesday). CREDIT moi. I'm never embarrassed telling the receptionist the reason for an appointment even if its intimate male plumbing issues. But felt a bit sheepish giving, "elbow hurts." Felt like a kid asking for a kiss to make it all well again.

RE Calculations for weight gain from eating fat:
9 Calories per gram
28.35 grams per ounce
16 ounces per pound
3500 Calories consumed to add a pound of body fat
so, per 1.17 = (9 * 28.35 * 16 / 3500)
1.17 pounds of body fat added per pound of dietary fat consumed!!!

Hard to believe we gain 17% MORE body fat weight than the weight of dietary fat consumed. Three cheers for our efficient body. (Anne, will you check that derivation; the results aren't intuitive to me.)

By-the-by: I just demonstrated to myself that BACKSPACE is an efficient one-click way to make it appear that a posting has disappeared. But SHIFT-BACKSPACE just as efficiently brings it back.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for fleece sweaters; Yay for yellow polar fleece sweaters; and Biggest Yay for "favourite yellow polar fleece sweater" that fits again.

Congrats on excelling at using that Microsoft Office spreadsheet program to make a fundraiser order form. My experience is that subsequent such endeavors (endeavours?) are always easier.

Kudos for on-plan. And thanks for the dill pickle tip; gotta try that.

Anne (wndranne) - Sympathy to DS for a round of shots; it's tough being a little guy. Kudos for a day on plan.

Neat that you're writing down the exceptions for going off-plan. Yep, I can see that a sick child is different than a cheesecake surprise. You remind me that I did that in detail for Whole Foods samples. Rare and unusual foods YES, normal foods NO. My brain seems able to forget that's I've already made those choices.

Lily (lilyyoung) - Kudos for continuing to post here; it's a great way to keep the focus on your need for a plan. And Kudos for maintaining a big chunk of weight loss from your high weight.

You have an obligation to yourself, not just a right, to know the expectations for your tests. A quick call to the doctor's office will clarify that. You will get the peace of mind you need knowing you are doing the right thing. They won't think it's a bother.

You're right to work on changes to your diet. Yep, I've also been surprised to find so much calcium outside of dairy: salmon, dark greens, tofu, even almonds. Happily for me, they're all on my favorite foods lists. Once you've adjusted your eating plan, it's worth running a week's menu through one of the calculators like fitday to see your total calcium and total vitamin D including your supplements. Then you can take those numbers to your nutritionist to make sure that you have enough but not too much.

Great Beck style to recognize that the food doesn't just get eaten, per your "I find all kinds of reasons to eat ... ." Yep, the Beck strategies are the best for identifying those reasons as Sabotaging Thoughts and devising Helpful Responses to squash them. You are so headed in the right direction.

davidette - Kudos for making and following your new diet plan. Yep, first day is hard; it gets easier. The breakthrough comes as you feel the relief in not having to make food choices because you already made them yesterday. And it's not a great temptation to rebel since they're your choices. There's plenty of room to start shifting your own recipes into the Beck plan after a period of following the one in the book. The magic isn't in the specifics of the book's plan, the magic is in following a plan.

Thanks for the encouragement about TVP; LOL that your meat-eaters didn't notice right away.

Rachel (helping rachel) - For "finding support," you've just done it by posting here. Well done. Glad you found us. You can start posting immediately after signing up as you just demonstrated. You can get a neat signature thingy after something like 30 posts in 30 days (rules only to protect the site from the robot spammers).

Which of the two Beck books did you just finish?

Readers -
"... The skills in this program are essential - not optional- for permanent weight loss." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 21.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-17-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Typo - gra => gram
Old 01-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Uh, BillBE, I was told there'd be no math. ... *ahem

Don't worry, Rachel, it doesn't usually get this deep on the Beck thread. Well, it does, but it is ususally deep of a different sort....

Again, as in almost daily, I appreciate the rigidity, the certainty of the Beck method.....no room for misinterpretation here--

"The skills in this program are essential - not optional- for permanent weight loss".

The one essential part of the Beck plan that seems to be the hardest for us to do is to find a real live coach. I will argue 'til the cows come home that what we have here is at least as good, but probably better. Everyone here is well-schooled on Beck methodology, and an appropriate, helpful coach. Now I *get that part of having a live coach is to have someone to whom you are accountable, but, still, I love this approach.

Have a great day, Beckies, best to all.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #158  
Lovin' Life

Im sitting on the couch (making a quick post to check in) wrapped in my blanket, hot coffee and a chick flik (the women) just starting .....and Im all alone!!! Life is good

Im op all the way.....I'll check back in tonight. Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #159  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy ******sigh******

Hi Coaches.

I'm feeling really down today. I have to change my foodplan. I can't follow the one I am on. I can't handle the cycles of the carb cycling program so I need to make the switch to my second plan: you on a diet. But now I find myself feeling frustrated and confused and afraid that nothing will work for me and I can't do it and all those things that flood over me when I am feeling "less than" and I am hearing myself say that the you on a diet plan is "not good enough and since Dr. Beck now advocates a diet plan in her new book I should do that diet and I can't really afford the book but I could get it and just forget about the $ cause afterall aren't I worth it and and and...." Like her plan is magic or something....

I think there's a few things up with me. That f&^%)@$g bus strike is so under my skin. OMG I cannnot even tell you. I think it was the feeling of hope I had that they were going to solve it. The union said they'd go to binding arbitration and go back to work immediately and lay the thorny scheduling issue aside if the city agreed. And the city met until 1am last night and rejected the union proposal and countered with one of theirs with 3 criteria to be accepted...blahblahblah. And okay, I was still hopeful when they did that as it shows at least they are working on things but then I heard the head of transit operations say it would be THREE MONTHS before transit service is back to where it was Dec 3rd when this whole thing started as now the buses are about to have their safety certification expire(?) so not only do they need a week to get the buses in working order as they haven't run in 40 days of cold, but they have to be brought up to snuff to pass provincial guidlelines. You'd think public conveyances would be up to snuff but apparently not. So. I am so depressed by all this. I used to suffer with anxiety, big anxiety, and I felt it creep back into my life on my last car ride hiome from school this week. Of course the fact that Val's car window was frozen open after she paid for the parking at the lot machine, and it only inched up after about a half hour and the car door was frozen closed the day before... it just feels too much today. I think I am slightly hormonal as well...all puffy. And I went on a small sugar binge Wed night. Small compared to before but I let sugar back in. I have banished the fake sugar so, credit for that. I do walk every day so credit for that and I am signed up for tai chi now, credit there too. I skipped the community gardening meeting. I just couldn't hand around for 5 hours and then go to the meeting and go home with a stranger.

I just wanted to go home ASAP.

On top of this I am at a loss as to what to paint in my advanced studio class. I am supposed to already know but I don't. I can't believe I feel so crappy.

Thanks for listening coaches. Send happy thoughts of bus strike settlement to the city of Ottawa will ya? Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #160  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default happy thoughts to ottawa...happy BUS thoughts to ottawa...

onebyone, just sending a BIG HUG to you!!! i've been feeling down lately too, i just put it down to being overtired and it's still january and miserably cold for everyone. shake off the bad feelings about the diet. so NOT worth wasting the energy! of course you can do this - i'm guessing/hoping by the time you read this you'll already feel better.

this really is a quickie - it's date night and we're both doing non-date night stuff. i'm taking a break from sealing baggies of jambalaya and cream of broccoli soup. bbq pork is still cooking in the crockpot. so far, so good. DH loved the jambalaya.

bill, i'm going to challenge your math - did you account for the thermogenic effect of digestion? i recall that it's fewer calories to convert dietary fat into body fat than carbs or protein, but have no recollection of what the percentage used in conversion is. there is one, though, for sure.

ditto mary! can't imagine a coach IRL more effective or wonderful than y'all. happy robin! sounds blissful!

cheers all - i'm hoping to be back in the normal swing on monday!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 01-17-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #161  
Lovin' Life

Good Evening

I thoroughly enjoyed my movie all by myself! I have one more, but I may make hubby suffer thru it

Eating was good today. Ive been contemplating next weeks lunches. I dont want anything cold. Im a bit tired of soup, so I suppose I need something that can be warmed, and is interesting. I'll pull out the cookbooks tomorrow and see what strikes my fancy.

Bill~ no need to feel sheepish, Im sure that secretary "knows" when you call, because you rarely do, that "my elbow hurts" must really hurt to make you finally call the dr. Kudos for making the appointment!

Mary~ I agree that we seem to find it difficult to find a real live coach. I have everyone here....then I have hubby and my dd. My daughter talked me out of the sf ff chocolate pudding I was going to make last week. Because at 12 yrs old she knows that if mom gets a taste of chocolate aside from by chocolate protein shake, Im done in.

I will admit tho, Ive opened up to my husband alot more this time around. Shared with him the sabotaging thoughts that bounce around in my head. It's been very good for me, and I think it helps him understand why I was eating the way I was.

onebyone~ It hurts my heart to know you are struggling like this. Have you tried weight watchers or low carb? I took a quick look over the diet in Dr. Beck's new book and I dont intend to do it. I know what works and will work it with the program. Do you have that same diet that you fall back on? The one that always works? Dig it out and apply the Beck teachings to it. I hope it all clicks into place for you!

Jean

Anne~ how did the haircut go? Ive been thinking of changing mine, but I didnt print the picture I found of the cut I want and can't find it for the life of me.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #162  
helpingrachel

Thanks for the warm welcome(s). I picked up the 2007 The Beck Diet solution about 6 months ago. I am working some of the programs steps and am needing to process and have validation on the others. Day by day, step by step. I found 3 fat chicks about 2 years ago and just logged back in last week. Do we comment on anything or is there a subject to discuss each week?

I am organizing my plan this week.

Talk with you later! HR
Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #163  

Coaches/Buddies A blah day. On plan (mostly), but still feel pretty cruddy. I'm tired of being sick. I did have an unplanned V8 when I was hungry in the afternoon. Sue me. Yes, I know that is a seriously non-Beck attitude, but I stand by it.

Bill Once I hauled DH to the ER for what he thought was possibly a broken arm after a bike crash. It was intact, but the bruise went all the way through his arm. He was mad because he made me take him in for a "boo boo." Perhaps the two of you are related?

What Jeanie said on your calculations. And I'm not sure how exact the 3500 is. It seems to alway be preceded with the word "about."

maryblu Why, I am a real live coach! And so are you. I'm not too picky about how we contact each other, are you? I hate the phone myself. Thanks for being there.

Just look away if you see math. It makes me happy though!

RobinW Want to trade places for a day?? My new do is fabulous. Great cut, good color.

onebyone It is obvious to me that you have a lot of feeling and emotion, if not necessarily positive, about this bus strike. Can you channel some of that into your painting?

I also think you should do whatever food plan works for you. There are about a thousand out there, and so I'm not surprised that the first one you found didn't fit. High protein/low carb, low fat/high carb, good fats/carbs all work for some people and not others. Think about what (if anything) you liked from your first plan, what you didn't like, and see if you find something that gets you closer. FWIW: even though high protein & low/good carb diets are the current diet orthodoxy, they make me feel awful, and I'm high carb, almost veggie all the way. Yes, I'm one of the three people in the world who can eat a 100 cal pack and not be hungry an hour later. You, and we all, have to do what works for each of us, individually. So, COOL, you get to dump what isn't working, and eat something that works for you, instead of fitting yourself into an ill-fitting plan.

Jeanie Date night?? What is this thing of which you speak?? Ah yes, spending time with your SO in a non-parental capacity. Someday. LOL.

Rachel A subject to discuss?? Wow, I'm not nearly that organized or disciplined. Jump in wherever you're at, and let us know how you're doing.

G'night Beckies!

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 01-17-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #164  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Deliberately chose to browse in a sporting goods store while on my walk rather than Whole Foods where the samples live. CREDIT moi. I suppose avoiding the place is a legitimate Beck strategy, but I long to be sufficiently centered that I see the samples and automatically think, "That's not about me." Methinks I'm wallowing a bit in the desire to be without issues about eating.

This weekend I'm planning what take-outs I'll collect for my Inauguration party Tuesday night. By consensus demand, it'll include BBQ ribs and pulled pork for the two young men. I'm very conscious of how drawn I am toward a mound of ribs - not just to one rib or to a standard serving of ribs. I'm including grilled vegetables and a big salad, so the option exists for sane and desirable choices. If I properly do my Beck planning, that's just what I'll have. If I go in cold, I'll just fall into working alongside the two younger guys to finish off whatever size order of ribs I bring home. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, but my assignment is to plan. There oughta be a book.

maryblu - Glad you're not frozen. OK, OK, all math is done - I was just trying to scare myself that animal fat and vegetable oils do impact my weight.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for a day of rest. Ouch that you reminded me that if God is a woman, the reward for a good life might be unlimited, 24/7 chick flicks on my solid gold iPod. hmmmmmmmmm..... Good luck with your choice for next week's lunches.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Ouch for feeling down, especially on "date night." I drool over the list of foods you're preparing for yourself; double drooling over the thought of having jambalaya in my freezer.

RE the calculations: Nope, I took nothing into consideration except for the common published numbers. I'm suspicious about both 3500 Calories per pound and 9 Calories per gram. But those are the numbers published over and over again by reliable sources. The thing for me is that the calculation just hits me over the head with the obvious: Alfredo sauce goes right to the body, ounce by ounce. As does the fat not trimmed off a pork chop and the luscious fat in buffalo wings.

onebyone - Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Sending hugs, hugs, hugs.

Kudos for banishing the fake sugar. Kudos for walking every day. Kudos for signing up for the Tai Chi class. And BIG Kudos for giving yourself credit even while feeling the gloom. Neat that you allow yourself to peek out and see the parts of yourself that are functioning just right.

And Ouch that pain muddles thinking. Of course there is no should for your diet plan, including the one in Beck's new book. My take is that the new book is not an important part of getting on plan for you right now. Myself, I'm dawdling along at reading it; the first chapters in Beck Diet Solution are the key and the new book doesn't change that.

Sending resolving thoughts to the union and the city managers to get your city working again.

Oh, and sending hugs again. All the strength and power of onebyone is still visible to me even when it's not visible to you.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for still feeling "cruddy." Kudos for keeping the attitude strong despite it. So LOL at both "Sue me" and "Date night?" Yep, an attitude is the thing that onslaught after onslaught of disasters can't physically take away. Hats off to you.

Yep, I sympathize with your DH for going to ER when the arm wasn't even in two pieces - definitely a kindred soul.

Rachel (helping rachel) - Kudos for organizing your plan and moving forward.

Re subjects and commenting on anything: Nope, no given subject. We aren't an organized group, just a vibrant one. There's no one in charge. No one here represents Dr. Beck or 3FC. I'm attracted to this forum because I get support from this group to stay on my plans, and I further help myself by supporting the group in return. So, I ditto Anne's suggestion, "Jump in wherever you're at, and let us know how you're doing."

Readers -
"If I compare myself with non-dieters or maintainers, I'll feel resentful. If I compare myself with successful dieters and maintainers, I'll feel better and be more successful myself." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 45.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #165  

Lily Glad to hear you are doing your own research on osteopenia. Doctors can't get up to date on everything all the time, even specialists. It's my opinion walking is what saved my mother from suffering osteoporotic defomities. She never went to an exercise class in her life, but she was always on the move; nursing, gardening, etc.

oneby one Congrats on spotting the things you are deserve credit for, harder than it sounds.

Robin Too bad I don't like pickles; I'm wracking my brain for a substitute. Kudos on thinking ahead and carrying them to work!

Bill Deliberately browsing a Whole Foods is asking a bit much of anybody, even Judith Beck herself! I think you deserve a medal for choosing to browse the sporting goods store instead!

Stayed 100% OP yesterday, pre-diet practice, shooting for minimum of 7 days before I incorporate a diet. I plan on blending things I know about myself (don't like to spend time in the kitchen, etc) with something dramatically different for me: Plan entire day of 3 meals and 3 snacks with a total calorie count higher than my usual limit. I have a diet program I can enter my meals in to track calories, nutrients, etc. The big difference will be eating more often throughout the day and less at night, and eliminating making choices during the day. As you said so succinctly Bill, the magic is not in the plan, but following a plan.

I'm OP with my gym schedule too. Even though I like exercise, it' so much easier having made a "group" commitment. The dreaded water class was fabulous! There was a new instructor who kept us moving the whole time and I was never cold. Plus I rewarded myself with the hot tub afterwards. I'll be looking forward to it next Friday.

to newcomers Rachel and Heidi. I know you'll find the posts here as inspiring as I do~!
Closed Thread