Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:11 AM   #241  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Took a long walk with DW and we stumbled upon a Red Tailed Hawk on the ground calmly tearing apart his lunch. What a beautiful bird. CREDIT moi for the walk. Credit to the hawk for prioritizing to keep eating despite our sudden appearance.

Bought Bite Sized Dried Plums on sale when I took my walk to the store for my veggies for next week. CREDIT moi for working to overcome my lifelong aversion to prunes as awful food for old people. Turns out that Bite Sized just means somewhat smaller. Don't know what I was expecting; plums only get so small. I think I was expecting some new miracle tiny plum, say the size of a grape. Oh Well.

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for "a big honkin' flood light bulb!!... Keep to my 3 meals a day....snacks only when I need it. Treats when it is a special occasion, and keep my calorie count at the maintenance level of 155lb woman." Yay for yet another maintenance dieter. Thanks for the trip through your thinking process.

onebyone - Waving. My image is that you're hyper-focused at your easel dumping all your frustrations into the faces of your protagonists.

Anne (wndranne) - Congrats to your DD for making it through the first half of her first soccer game. And congrats to you for only feeling "overstimulated" after hosting a play group when reduced to a blubbering idiot is a perfectly normal response. Kudos for remaining on-plan and on-track right through a pizza dinner.

Re replacing my 100 calorie evening snack: Nope, it doesn't need to be replaced on those occasions when I'll skip it. I'm still up five pounds (although below sticker weight) from the daily 100 calorie corn-on-the-cob this summer. Since they're not just dropping off on their own, methinks I need to find a few 100 calories here and there to let them go.

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Kudos for planning ahead for 2 weeks. Drooling here at the thought of your Trader Jo's shopping cart of real food.

Chris (angelmomma210) - Ouch for the "kinda tired." Yay for the progress with the EEO. Sending supportive thoughts for a positive conclusion.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Yay for being on your program today. Can't do better than that. Ouch for having all sorts of stuff to deal with. And ouch for that feeling of overwhelmed. Yep, making hard choices is one of the keys to getting out of overwhelmed, even though it's tough when there's a lot on the plate. I think it's helpful to acknowledge that staying on plan with food and exercise does take some time, and that something has to give to make that time. Good luck with that.

And Kudos for your successes in your Wellness Challenge. I remember how excited you were when you signed up for that. Way to go with the follow through.

Rachel (helping rachel) - Congrats on your 4 pound loss. And Kudos for going to the gym with your DS. Sounds like you're getting it together, so well put with, "It feels good to change."

Jennifer (JenMusic) - Kudos for a mind boggling insight, "It never connected, this idea that the hot cocoa Hershey's kisses will still be there tomorrow, so I don't have to shove them all in my face at once, thereby destroying my enjoyment of them. I can have more tomorrow, if I plan for them." Think I'll try to remember that one when I feel drawn to a whole sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints or a whole mound of ribs. Thanks for that.

Ann (Ann72) - Waving back. Have an on-plan day.

Lisa (LisaMarie71) - Astute judgment here, "What cinched it for me was that Anne is doing it! I trust her judgment on weight loss stuff!" Yep, I'm in that club also. And I also strongly agree with your "I think the Success Skills will be very important for me." Beck seems like a good fit for you.

Readers -
"Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Skill 7: Plan and monitor your eating. (page 89).
..." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 50.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-27-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Skill 6 => Skill 7. Oh Well.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #242  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Red face Trying to try try again

Hello coaches

Well I binge ate all afternoon yesterday. I stopped by last night. I was set off by seeing a high number on the scale. I thought I "should have" seen a lower number given all my walking since getting back to school but no. I was disappointed and feeling like getting myself onto my new foodplan was too hard. Too much metal energy, too much planning, too much thinking it through, so I hid in bags of chips and candy. Plus my regular food. I ate a lot.

But it's a new day and I have a new direction. I guess I just continue to want instant fast quick results and I still want to see the weight just drop off. But more than this I want it to be real and lasting and to be true to myself so if I really want that this will take some trial and error. I'm going to use the low gylcemic foods to make up my foodplan. I am going to figure out a few meals that I can eat everyday for breakfast and lunch and make them automatic. I want to make them ahead and freeze them like kuhljeanie is doing. I think that'd be a great approach for me too. Grab and go. Pre-portioned home made eady to eat from the freezer real food sounds like a great strategy. I think DH would do well to have good food to access too from the freezer. It's kind of exciting thinking about this. I am going to give myself the week to get things in order, get what I need, and then next weekend start. Meanwhile I'll just do three meals a day and 2 snacks and the big change will be to record this into fitday. I need to find the current thinking on optimum fat/carb/protein ratios so I can work toward that in my food planning.

One step forward two steps back. I can be grateful that no matter what, I'm moving.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #243  

Yeah, I did it! Met a friend for lunch at the mall yesterday and stayed 100% on plan! This required being assertive about my weak spots, where to eat so I could plan ahead, and especially no dessert. When we left the restaurant she wanted to go have a bakery cafe dessert and I just had coffee (okay, I put nonfat milk in it). When she offered me bites I remembered Bill saying one chocolate would only make him want more and I knew even a taste would just make things that much harder. I am so proud of myself for resisting (as kuhljeanie said "that fabulous smug feeling that comes from turning down sweets") I am so thankful for everyone's encouragement and inspiration. This is only the 3rd time in my entire life I've managed to eat out on a diet and be proud of my behavior; once with the original Beck book long ago and the other two in the last week with the new Beck book. I think I'm getting it right this time, with support and direction from this group as a coach!

As for Monday's lunch, to all for your suggestions. I realized I was sabotaging myself, insisting on taking a tempting homemade delight. I'm just going to take store-bought cookies (As Robin suggested, something I'm not that crazy about, no chocolate! and per Anne: wrapped in scent-proof packaging) and let them think what they want. As onebyone pointed out, if they don't like it, they'll ask someone else next time! I can avoid all the stress of trying not to lick or taste while cooking. I think I'm being challenged enough lately without that. The relief I feel at making this decision and sticking with it is fantastic. But I never would have seen it without this group!

Otherwise, on plan with exercise and practicing skills. The weight is not yet dropping but my mood is sure rising! As rachel says, it feels good to change!

onebyone Thanks for cookie receipe I'm saving it for when I have a little more Beck practice as a challenge, because they will be a delicious and nutritious choice for a treat when I think I can handle having chocolate chips around, or trust myself to throw the extras away.

kuhljeanie Enjoyed the Camilla Cooks site, I am definitely going to try her tofu receipe soon. I love using unusual spices and herbs and plan to try some of her cookies eventually too. I've been hearing so much about tumeric being a super health-enhancing spice; I bet I can find some ways to use it in some of her recipes. I'll be checking at the bookstores!

Robin I second Ann's suggestion: If you're really feeling the need to get your calorie count or nutrition totals up but aren't hungry, nuts are a wonderful choice. They are so good for you I can consider an almond as much medicine as food. Very caloric, but luckily I can resist the gobbling the bag. Dieting can lead us to ignore the healthy oils we really need. If you can resist making guacamole, an avocado slice on your sandwich is option.

Kudos on breaking the "no eating before bed" habit; I tend to think the sky will fall if I don't have my pre-bed snack. You show me it's possible, someday!

Welcome Ann72, Lisamarie 71
Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #244  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Went out for dinner yesterday and did good. Ate a salad first...did watch what I put on it. Then went up for a few good things first...it was an all you can eat place. I got a few things that when I tasted them..I put them to the side..yeah for me. I also did not eat or even want dessert. I am glad for that.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #245  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Cool Hello from Maine

Hello - I'm new to this group and to the Beck approach to dieting. I am very hopeful though, because I have found CBT to be a very effective approach to behavior modification. I won't bore you with the gory details, but about 2 years ago I worked with a CBT counselor, and managed to change from being a Type A personality who always put work first, to a Type B who always puts me and my family first.

Where I'm at now. I've bought the latest book (Diet for Life) and have finished reading Part 1. I've bought index cards (etc) and have begun working on Stage 1 (developing success skills). So, I have one foot on the path to long term weight loss. I believe I'm supposed to post my weight every day...
202 (now) / 135 (goal)

FYI - I have celiac disease, pernicious anemia, hypothyroidism and high cholesterol.
- I went on a gluten free diet when diagnosed with celiac about 5 years ago. Since GF, I am dealing with serious weight issues for the first time in my life.
- I didn't get diagnosed with the anemia and thyroid issues until I experienced extreme fatigue about a year ago. I was barely able to work, much less exercise, hike, kayak, or even walk the dog. So, I'm working my way back from living a VERY sedentary lifestyle for the last 2 years. In the past I was very active (except during the workday).
- My health priorities are (1) live a very active life, (2) get back to a normal weight.

Plans for today. I've been sick with a cold for a week, but will get back to exercising today. I put together a distractions list this AM. Later today I'll work on reading through a few pages in Stage 1 and do one piece of 'homework'. I started keeping a daily food log at the beginning of January, so I'll catch up the log with the days I missed when sick.

I look forward to getting to know you all better in the weeks, months, and years to come. I hope that I can provide support for you, while you help me through this journey.

Cheers!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #246  
helpingrachel

Welcome Chinamaine! Glad to have you in group....look forward to supporting you and all other beckies.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #247  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Hello Beckies, old and new!

Welcome ChinaMaine!

Congrats, onebyone; I think you have a great start with:

"I am going to figure out a few meals that I can eat everyday for breakfast and lunch and make them automatic."

It was one of the wisest actions listed in You on a Diet. (That, and, "stop reading self help books and start moving") As the good doctors pointed out:

It takes a lot of the decision making out (sound like Beck? NO choice, plan, write it down) so you don't face those last minute decisions and temptations.

More importantly, I think, it takes so much of the obsessing about food out of the equation. You automate 2 meals a day and stop obsessing. As I read posts of "is this allowed?", "Am I eating enough?", I just think we obsess an awful lot.

Add to that, as we have pretty much agreed, we seem to be a lot of type A personalities, so then add to that the perfection or nothing, that all or nothing diet mentality..such a trap.......then, let's factor in that "instant gratification, quick loss" thinking, and we are doomed. How many posts have read, "I plan to lose 2 pounds a week for x # of weeks", and I shudder. We are setting ourselves up for failure.

Now, contrast those of us still caught in that thinking to the way BillBE is handling the "I'm still up five pounds (although below sticker weight) from the daily 100 calorie corn-on-the-cob this summer. " dilema. Note:
"Since they're not just dropping off on their own, methinks I need to find a few 100 calories here and there to let them go."

Great kudos, Bill on some really sane thinking and sound strategy. Further, I just have to laugh at the fresh sweet corn cause

Can't think of another better reason! Well, I could make it better.....add freshly caught Sunfish so fresh they are still wiggling as you get them in the pan...in real butter. *sigh

Finally, in support and proof of your thinking, onebyone, as I read the accountability maintainers thread, they do eat a lot of the same thing day after day.

BillBE thanks for the empathy on our lengthy senate election journey..I certainly would not call it a "process" at this point. I remain really patient. I can be patient as long as it has the right outcome!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #248  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up thoughts? I'm a bit confused...

Hi coaches I need some coaching input here...

I was on a few websites and got into calculating my caloric needs
And two things were coming up.

1) when I put my current weight in, calculators tell me I should eat around 2100 calories per day to reduce my intake an amount that will help me shed 1-2 lbs per week. These sites say that to reduce drastically will set my body into "starvation mode" thereby causing my body to retain the weight.

2) when I calculate based on the weight I want to maintain, this being 140-150, I get a base of 1600 -1800 calories a day. I like Billblueeyes approach of eating the way I will be eating when I am my goal weight, and just doing that and having the body catch up to the change I've already made.

But according to the theory behind #1, this is way too drastic a shift for my body and it will stop me
Will it?
Really?
I thought it was exercise that kept the engine revving anyway?
I'll be walking into the foreseeable future... shouldn't that help prevent my body stalling? How much consideration do I give this? What would you do?

Many plans now accommodate the basal metabolic rate of a larger starting weight like mine, as my basic bodily function requires higher calories... but I don't want to maintain this weight.

I'm confused and I have to confess *sigh* the side of me says "go with the lower calories you'll lose weight faster who cares if you suffer... do what you have to to get this off ASAP..." suffice it to say, this is not my best side but the impatient saboteur.

So far today I have recorded all my food. (BIG credit moi here)I'm putting it into fitday. Aiming for a 30/30/40 ratio to start: protein/fat/carb. I've also made a bean soup for a few meals this week and I have a crockpot full of food on the go too. Credit for preparing ahead.

Better go. Will be back later for personals and an update... this is my focus for today: getting my food straightened out and a plan for the week in place.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #249  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

quick hello.....been cooking and planning for next week.

Have a great evening everyone!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #250  

Height: 5'7"

Default This one is all about me...

Coaches/Buddies I did not weigh in this morning. I had more help in the bathroom this morning than I needed, and at some point DD piped up, "Mommy, you got a fat butt." Nice. On another day, she might have pointed out that I have brown hair, or long fingernails or something, but not this morning. I'm half amused and half...not. By the way, I weighed later, and while this isn't an "official" weight, projections put me up about 0.6-0.8 pounds from yesterday.

I decided last night that I need to get out on my road bike, which I haven't ridden for various legitimate and invented reasons since October. I had a great ride, with two big climbs, and it wasn't as tough as I feared it would be, being about 20 pounds lighter than the last time I tortured myself on this particular course, with not quite 1000 feet of elevation gain. However, I still have a way to go in giving myself credit for not sitting on my "fat butt," and not comparing myself to what I could do a couple years ago.

After the ride I went grocery shopping, which had been postponed to afternoon from its normal morning slot on account of the orange picking (everybody keeping up?), and after a rather measly snack that I clearly hadn't thought through in the context of just finishing up a 15 mile hilly bike ride, I ran into fresh baked baguettes. I caved instantly. Bought one, brought it home, served it up with a luscious bruscetta topping, tomatoes, fresh garlic, my accidental basil, and a touch of extra virgin olive oil, topped off with fresh grated parmesan. Oh yes! Nothing tastes as good as thin feels, my "fat butt." I feel compelled to report that given this unplanned excursion from my grossly inadequate plan, I ate a reasonable portion, and as you may have gathered, enjoyed every single bite.

I have to do a Cheat Sheet on this one because it feels like a very complicated situation. I don't think the "fat butt" comment sent me into a tailspin or anything, but I seem to be sort of dwelling on it. I need better planning for 1) weekends, which demand more flexibility on my part, 2) post-major-exercise nourishment, and 3) grocery shopping when I'm slightly hungry. I am pretty much over the moon that if I did go off plan, I had GOOD food, and didn't sink into a bag of Doritos or something. Then again, maybe I'm overthinking a calorie equivalent day, since my total intake is exactly on track for what I wanted it to be...hmm, coaches, give me input. (And, no, this isn't one of my "legitimate" reasons to go off plan.)

Ah, yes, the orange picking went well this morning, at the home of our childless friends, with no tantrums, no puking, and only a moderate amount of bloodshed (skinned elbow). We now have a huge bag of Mandarin oranges, and some lemons and grapefruit. Also, no cats or dogs were harmed in the adventure.

I'm tempting the post monster, so I'll be back momentarily with personals...

wunderAnne
Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #251  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

a quickie before i turn in - onebyone, how about kinda sorta splitting the difference, say 1900 cals a day to start, and see how it goes for two or three weeks? it really doesn't matter too much, since all you're doing at the beginning is establishing a good baseline. just pick a reasonable number (2000? 1800? - whatever) and ride with it for a little bit, see what your body does, and adjust from there? don't even worry about conflicting information from different sources, since the real answer is YOU!

hi everyone - welcome chinamaine! - am wiped out from a long run in the snow and some heavy work at the old house. got the bad news on friday about my assignment ending, but so far, with DH's help, have stayed away from the cupcakes (and pizza, wings, cheese crunches, ice cream, etc.) i've been thinking about on and off since friday's call. was really miserable running today (wet and cold, and i don't have the fancy schmancy water repelling running gear) so my clothes were soaking, and felt like they weighed 50 lbs, and it was COLD and i had snow in my eyes that froze on my eyelashes in balls. DID IT ANYWAY and feel like a baaaad mutha now.

cheers all!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #252  

Default and this one is all (well mostly) about all of you...

Rachel Hooray for enjoying the process of change, and OH YES on the four pounds. Good for you for including exercise in the process! Thin for Life by Anne Fletcher (a MUST read for long term success, I think) reports (p. 201) on a study of successful maintainers--90% exercised. The NWCR says its successful maintainers burn an average of 400 calories per day in exercise. Absolutely valuable for long term success.

Bill Hawks are fascinating. LOL on the makeover of the prune by turning it into a dried plum.

onebyone I think it is very positive that you came here and posted, even after a lousy day. Tomorrow will be two steps forward and one back. Unfortunately, it isn't a linear journey, but you should be proud of yourself that you are still on the path.

Re: calorie levels. The calorie needs calculators you find everywhere are notoriously inaccurate for many people who struggle with obesity. I personally think "starvation mode" isn't really an issue until one actually approaches starvation, but acknowledge that different things affect different people differently. How's that for definitive, LOL? One question: how many calories are you eating now, on an average day? I find it hard to change that by more than a few hundred at a time, without serious risk of going off plan. Since this is a long term eating plan for you, what can you live with for the long term? A lot of women do need to eat 1600 cal/day. Some can do more--I'm guessing you will too, since you're on the taller side of things. Maybe experiment a bit. Do 2000 calories for a few days and see how you feel. Then try 1600 and see how you feel--are you doing ok, or are you going off plan more. Then just pick something and stick to it. FWIW (and everyone is different), during the Big Loss, I ate about 1500 cal/day, and was losing about 2-3 lbs a week at first (250+), slowing to 1-2 /week by the end (190s and lower). When I started distance running, I had to up my calories to stop bingeing, since I needed a whole lot more than I was taking in, and things started to give.

davidette What a total score on the lunch and also the cookie deal! Woo hoo! You've got momentum now.

Chris/angelmomma210 Nicely done on the all-you-can-eat stuff! Putting things that didn't satisfy aside instead of eating them anyway is a major success.

ChinaMaine I'm very impressed with the Type A to B conversion. I didn't know that was possible. CBT is very powerful indeed. Sounds like you have some challenges. Make sure you check in on the Maintainer's threads (and BTW, you are a Maintainer if you're not gaining it back this time, regardless of where you are with respect to a goal weight). Several long term posters over there have thyroid issues, and at least one has celiac.

maryblu I think your post had a lot of wisdom for all of us today!

RobinW

wndranne Gotta wunder...

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 01-25-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: to, too, two, all the same right?? oops
Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #253  

Jean Crosspost! You go on with your bad self! Nice run. Sorry to hear about your news, but glad you are dealing with it like a thin person would!

Anne
Old 01-26-2009, 04:20 AM   #254  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up ChinaMaine

ChinaMaine

Welcome to the Complete Beck Diet for Life / Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Buddy / Diet Coach Group.

And, in honor of your first post on 3FC,

How did you find out about Beck?

And how did you find this thread on 3FC?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 AM   #255  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made it through two potlucks in one day. CREDIT moi. Only good enough though because I fell into a bowl of peanuts while cleaning up at lunch. Tried to give them to a teenager to take home but he replied, "No thanks, we have some at home." Now what did that have to do with getting some FREE peanuts? Where does a kid get that kind of clear thinking?

For the lunch I made a huge pot of curried zucchini. It was really good and went fast. Seems to me that people are drawn to good food when given the option.

maryblu - Thanks for your thoughtful post. Gotta love a self help book that say "stop reading self help books and start moving." For some reason that reminds me of Steal this Book, LOL.

And thanks for sharing the laugh that I blame my pounds on "sweet fresh corn." Now I'm drooling at your Sunfish still wriggling as they go in the pan. It's been a while since I had fresh caught fish; gotta figure out how to do that again.

Jean (baaaadmuthaJeanie) - Ouch for the bad news about your assignment. Kudos for avoiding food as consolation and for your heroic run in the icy environment.

Robin (RobinW) - Waving back. Yay for "cooking and planning for next week." Hope your networking event is coming along smoothly.

onebyone - First of all, Big Kudos for recording all your food on fitday, for making the pot of soup, and for making the crockpot of food for next week. You're displaying your moxie taking the steps forward.

Ouch for triggering on a "should have" - Sabotaging Thoughts continue to slip in under our radar. Good move that you went back to see what happened.

As to calorie levels: I don't bring any expertise to this question, but my gut prejudice is to choose a level that you feel comfortable with, right now. Despite what I've read over and over, I'm in the club that has never come to believe that the body has a starvation mode that kicks in easily. My perspective is that the real concern is falling off plan because we feel we aren't getting enough. I'd avoid your self identified "impatient saboteur" at all costs. Choose the number that you can stick to for the first month, then visit the choice again. One full month on-plan can rearrange enough neurons in the brain to allow access to lots of good thinking.

Choose and get on with it. Sending my best supportive thoughts as you so astutely pull yourself forward here.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for DD's fat mouth. I do recall trying to feel the warmth that I'd spawned a free thinking, free speaking, human with their own brain just when I wanted to bop them upside the head for their smart mouths. Congrats for keeping your sanity and working thought it.

And Kudos for getting out your road bike with only the faintest glimmer that Spring is actually coming. Ouch for the smell of fresh baked baguettes. There oughta be a law so something. I do sit here drooling at your fine construction with bruscetta toppings yet eating a reasonable portion.

Chris (angelmomma210) - Kudos for eating mindfully at an all-you-can-eat buffet. You're my hero for that; buffets remain a challenge for me.

Rachel (helping rachel) - Waving back. Hope you're having an on-plan day.

davidette - Kudos for your on-plan lunch and bigger Kudos for your on-plan visit to the bakery cafe for coffee. Skipping dessert while your friend indulged was a big step - you're showing yourself how to live with your No Choice decisions. Good show.

Yay for store bought cookies (in scent proof wrapping) for your potluck.

ChinaMaine - Kudos for starting your food log in January and for moving forward in the skills learning phase of the Beck plan. It's neat that you bring to this group your confidence that we can change ourselves, even in big ways, using CBT. (FYI, Beck has shifted to CT in her new book; for some reason dropping 'Behavior'.)

Readers -
"Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Skill 8: Follow your plan, no matter what. (page 95).
..." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 50.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-27-2009 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Skill 6 => Skill 8. Oh Well again.
Closed Thread