Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #196  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Survived my own Inauguration party. Take out food from the local Southern BBQ place was a challenge, but I did OK. CREDIT moi for OK when there was a hulking mound of ribs and other meat calling. Sanity was helped by providing a monster green salad with my favorite very low calorie balsamic vinegar dressing (not from the BBQ place which, with exaggerated pride, serves only the most caloric of Southern cooking). CREDIT moi for insisting that the kids take home everything that wasn't eaten - all the ribs, all the pulled chicken, all the BBQ chicken, and the remaining red beans.

Robin (RobinW) - Congrats that your vendor event is an instant success - that should keep you busy in the upcoming weeks. Kudos for identifying the Thinking Error about standing in front of the audience. And Kudos for working out some right sized thoughts so you get your sanity back and can stay the course.

And Kudos for all that walking back and forth to the shop.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Ouch for the sleep deprived night. Yay for "a beautiful run." Yep, you'd be my number one candidate for using the sous vide method. Without using the name, this method came up on a thread about omelets, which, unfortunately, suggested using zip-lock bags - a terrible idea since they release their carcinogenic stuff when heated.

Oh, in case I forgot to mention yesterday, Congrats for reaching the 160's.

onebyone - Ouch that the transportation strike continues. Kudos for recognizing that it will be here for this entire semester so that you can make plans and get emotional control of your life back.

Ouch for the Sabotaging Thoughts sparked by the impending class pictures. Yep, it's hard when the mind wants to compete with the young with that starving artist physique. But once you get the thoughts out in the open you'll be able to remember that comparison is just a killer and get back into seeing how you fit into the picture of your own future.

And Kudos for all that walking that you're doing.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch that that sick thing lingers. Kudos for remaining on plan anyway. LOL at having to pick up before the housekeepers arrive; that happens here and I hate it also. Howsomeever, if I don't, my carefully layered stacks sitting about would get joined together without due archaeological layering - my primary filing technique.

Remembering to thank you for your neat reviews of Beck's two books. It sure was easy to insert links to them below.

Chris (angelmomma210) - Kudos for staying OP, reading your cards, and restocking your vitamins.

davidette - LOL at "...it didn't all come back in a week!" Yep, I know that desire for the body to permanently retain all the benefits of exercise when I've lapsed. But my next observation has always been that it comes back faster than it took me to get there the first time. As differs from pounds, which seem to be lost much more slowly than they are gained.

Thanks for NASA's endorsement of the nap. Wish I could work one in every day; I'm a believer.

Rachel (helping rachel) - I, too, am moved by your, "I receive the gift that you all have created a safe place for me to come,grow,tweak and change." And I concur - this group has created a special place, and, like you, I'm grateful for it. And thank you for the kind words to me.

Lucky Charms - Congrats on the 20 pounds lost with Weight Watchers. Kudos for recognizing that you need to change how you think and feel about food. Yep, Beck has the strategies for doing that.

As for which book, you've gotten two good (but different) recommendations so I'll add a third. I learned from The Beck Diet Solution so remain quite happy with that book. Some posters really like the workbook version of that book (they go together). I made my own excel spreadsheets to track the checklists, so I didn't use the workbook. Since I have both, it's hard to think about having only one, but I'd lean toward The Complete Beck Diet for Life since the problem solving using a Cheat Sheet is more compelling than the BDS Seven Question Technique.

But I recommend that you read the reviews by Anne (wndranne), The Complete Beck Diet for Life, and The Beck Diet Solution.

My calculations show the Amazon price for all three to be just the sum of the individual prices; the saving is in the free shipping because the total exceeds $25. If owning all three appeals to you, then you might as well order all three at once.

Readers -
"Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Skill 3: Eat slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite. (page 61).
..." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 50.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-21-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: This sentence no veb.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #197  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Lucky Charms

Lucky Charms

Welcome to the Complete Beck Diet for Life / Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Buddy / Diet Coach Group.

And, in honor of your first day posting on 3FC,

How did you find out about Beck?

And how did you find this thread on 3FC?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #198  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Good Morning Beckster Coaches

I am off to school this morning and have class until noon then have to leave the school for 5 hours to go find something to do until I get my ride home. So. I am heading today to the public library and will research diet plans and will come out of that place with a plan for myself. And a back up plan.
The full array of weightloss knowledge will be there at my fingertips. Surely I can find something that makes me tingle. If nothing else it's a 40-50min walk back and forth to anf from the library to get me ride so I have planned exercise into my day. Credit moi.

Will check in later.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-21-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #199  

S/C/G: 165/162/

Height: 5'4"

I hope everyone enjoyed yesterday's inauguration in their own way--I thought it was great. No matter what your politics are it was inspiring!
Kudos moi for:
I went to the exercise doctor and was there on time at 3:30. The doctor had left because they called my home phone at 1:00 and since I didn't answer, she didn't wait for me. That makes absolutely no sense. I didn't explode, but I was upset. I wanted so badly to have a piece of cake at the Starbucks cafe right next door. Instead, I had a skim, sugar free vanilla latte! Ok, it wasn't planned, but it wasn't bad. I called someone, and I think I read my cards. I exercised this morning. I planned a few extra points yesterday and today in my quest for temporary maintenance. (I went about 2 points over yesterday.) I have been maintaining within a very close range the last 3 days--158.8, 159.2, 158.6.) I bought two books on osteoporosis/osteopenia. I'm determined to find ways to treat myself well--and not with piles of cake and ice cream! I haven't read any posts for a few days, but I will soon so I can catch up with how everyone is doing.
I just wanted to share while I had a couple of minutes.--Lily
Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 220/200/140

Height: 5' 3"

Thanks you so much for the warm welcome. I really appreciate the feedback from Robin W, Anne, and BillBlueEyes.

I have been a lurker for a while on 3FC. There was a thread, I believe in calorie counting, where the BDS was mentioned. That was the first time I heard about it, so after a trip to Barnes to check out the book and some online research I felt it was the right method for me. I found this thread just by looking on 3FC for more info about BDS

I was following WW, but quit a few month back as I did not agree with the focus of the meetings and no longer found it supportive for me. I do think WW is a great plan, but it was just not for me. In terms of a food plan I want to eat more whole foods and get away from processed foods. I know what I need to eat to lose weight, its just that I let things happen to me that get me off track too often.

I think also what appeals to me about Beck is that the focus is on a much slower weight loss process, so you eat more calories/day. (Or that's the impression I got from browsing thru CBDL.) I have 60 more pounds to loose and my goal is to be at 140lb by my 39th birthday. Since I will be 37 this week, I have 2 years to meet my goal. Eating 1400 cal/day is not resonable for me. By giving myself a few years to meet my goal I can eat closer to 1800-2000 cal/day, which I think I can do.

I think I have decided that I will get all 3 books. I use to spend $40/month on WW, so I figure spending that on all 3 books is not really much.

Last edited by Lucky Charms; 01-21-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #201  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hi y'all!

got on the treadmill yesterday, and my legs were like lead, so i decided to just walk for an hour instead of doing HIIT. credit moi for listening to my body, and for managing to time it so i got to see the inauguration on TV at the gym at work.

i slept a lot better last night, too. so did el nino - most appreciative for that. eating is still 100% OP. nothin' doing, right?

robin, i put the link to my blog in my signature. it's been great so far - i have one lady who comments and has been really helpful. thanks for reading! and yes, treadmill tonight! i'm with you in spirit. yay chris! keep on keepin' on! anne, really hoping you feel better before you have to go back to work! i wish we lived in one of those countries where there's no expectation that you have to perform while ill. it was a real eye-opener when i lived in europe, and the expectation is that you get well BEFORE you go back, not after. hey onebyone! ask and ye shall receive. all the support and help you need, girlfriend. whatever i can do. bill, wonderful to give away food that would be calling you otherwise. i love a strategy that helps your waistline and your karma at the same time. and thanks for the congrats! i'm still in the 160's! will be using my foodsaver to seal the chicken for sous vide, and i'll be freezing it immediately afterwards. no sense in getting botulism, right? and lily, MAN. that sucks. absolutely tremendous job not going nuts at starbucks. it's exactly that kind of choice that we're all working towards. yay for doing it!!! hi lucky! i'm right there with you - as soon as i let go of (my own unrealistically high) expectations for straight line, 2-lb-per-wk loss, things got a lot more - liveable. i've lost a lot more slowly, but over time, i've lost a lot more, and i'm no longer worried about my ability to keep it off, since i won't be doing anything differently, ever. it's like discovering sanity and realizing what i was doing before wasn't very sane (and certainly wasn't getting me to where i wanted to be.) WELCOME!!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 01-21-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #202  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Morning all...today is a good day. Doing good on the plan. Credit for me...I only ate a little bit of the sweet and sour pork and some rice. Dh was surprised that I left alot there. Ate until I was beginning to feel full and then stopped. Yeah.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #203  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Just a quickie!!

Yah Bill for navigating your food event!! Big honkin' kudos for not eating piles of ribs!!

Jean thanks for the link Im going to check it out tonight!

to everyone

Im op and doing good! Have a great day!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #204  

Height: 5'7"

visual migraine tonight. No pain though. Back tomorrow.

Anne
Old 01-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #205  
helpingrachel

Hi to all! quick post as well. Ate on plan, still no exercise. Will be working on this.....need to start and then go from there.

R
Old 01-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #206  

Hi there friends,
I don't have much to say, just having a hard time again. Sigh....

Kuhljeanie: BIG congrats on getting to the 160's!!!! You GO girl-that is my GOAL weight sister! You have come a long way....

Mary: I love your take on Pete Seeger-I was thinking about all those musicians and how FREEZING it was out there...but to be 90 and fit as a fiddle... NICE.

BBE; Love that tamale pie idea-also huge congrats on how you handled your inaug party -a pillar of strength you are!!!

Angelmomma: so glad that the meds seems to be working.. you sound like you are paying attention to your hunger too-love that you are surprising your dh with your new eating habits!

Robin: Keep up your hard work-I feel your energy in your last few posts!

Anne: Sinus infections BITE! I am so sorry-have had a gazillion of them and know how hard it is to "mommy" and everythign else when you feel like crap. I hope you are on the upswing now that you have antibiotics!

Welcome to all the new people!

I am reading everyone's stuff and continue to be inspired. I will be away from my computer on the weekend and maybe beyond. My dd and I were invited to stay in a cabin in the mountains this weekend with friends-lots of skiing, sledding, playing/walking in the snow... we are all planning healthy and deliciuos food...I have jury duty on Mon and Tues so may have lots of access to my computer then but not if I am chosen... PLEASE dont' choose me!!!!I have never had to serve before-always have gotten out of it by being a teacher..not this time.. so I don't know if I will have a lunch break but would love to walk around for a bit to break up the day and get a bit of movement.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #207  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My doctor declared that I have "Golf elbow" from pushing it. (It would be "Tennis elbow" if the strain were on the outside.) Good news is that it's nothing serious. Bad news is that the treatment consists of slacking off to let it heal itself. Then I have to restart my resistance exercises with VERY small stress and build it back up slowly. Oh Well.

So, I did my gym in a snit. But did my despised lunges and added some of the other stretches that I dislike just because I was in a snit and thought I might as well suffer. CREDIT moi for taking advantage of a bad mood.

Heidi (landlady6) - That weekend in the mountains sounds like heaven - lots of fun fun exercise, DD time, and "healthy and delicious food." What could be better.

Good luck on your jury duty.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for "op and doing good."

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Yay for a good night's sleep. Neat that you watched the inauguration from the treadmill; you were warmer than some million folks on the Washington Mall (and closer to a bathroom, LOL). Thanks for the neat phrase, "...a strategy that helps your waistline and your karma at the same time."

And Congrats for still being in the 160's.

onebyone - Yay for the planned exercise of a walk to the library. Those can be deadly; may you be able to carry all the books that appeal, LOL.

Anne (wndranne) - Monster Ouch for the migraine. Sending soothing thoughts.

Chris (angelmomma210) - Kudos for leaving food just because you're feeling full. Leaving food on my plate remains an elusive goal for me.

Lily (lilyyoung) - Ouch for being stood up by your doctor. Double Ouch for having to listen to such a lame excuse. But BIG Kudos for a calm response that didn't include eating away your frustration.

Rachel (helping rachel) - Kudos for on plan eating. One of the strategies for getting started (or restarted) on exercise is to plan a very short walk. Then use NO CHOICE to follow that plan. After the first one, it's easier to ratchet up the duration. Good luck.

Lucky Charms - Neat that you were able to find this thread within the 3FC structure, which is easier to understand once you understand it than before, LOL. Sound plan you have there for losing 60 pounds; you can set up a rate that doesn't have much of a bump to switch into maintenance.

And Yay for buying too many books. That's certainly my style; Amazon knows my name.

Readers -
"Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Skill 4: Give yourself credit. (page 66).
..." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 50.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #208  

Went out for lunch with friends yesterday. I didn't feel ready; haven't had any length of time to practice the Beck rules at home, much less in challenging situations. No way to check out the menu ahead of time, but I did my best to make a plan (cup soup and one half wrap, no desert) and followed it through! Brought the other half of the wrap home and still haven't eaten it. Credit moi! Knowing I would have to confess my sins here if I fell into my usual pattern of "I'm off diet so binge until the next morning" helped tremendously. That and hearing so many instances of y'all beating down those same patterns. Somehow life is throwing all these eating out occasions at me when I don't feel ready, (3 more in the next week, which is very unusual for me). Keep the inspiration coming!

Rachel The key for me getting back to exercise was making a commitment to meet friends at the gym. Any friends or family willing to be your exercise buddy, at least until you've established a pattern? When you see how good you feel afterwards, you'll be enthusiastic about going regularly. Can you make an appointment with a fitness counselor at your local gym? Our Y offers free training sessions and group training also.

anne Thanks for the "desensitization" plan for scale fluctuations; I'm going to try it. It makes sense and I've got nothing to lose except a Thinking Error (and weight)! Rationally I know it's water weight; maybe I can "wear out" my emotional whiplash!

lily Handling the temptations of Starbucks on top of the frustation of your exercise doctor's unprofessional actions. And for taking matters into your own hands with books on osteoporosis.

lucky charms Congrats for recognizing what calorie restriction is doable long term for you; it's so tempting to shoot for quick weight loss with unrealistic plans.

kuhljeanie Thanks for taking that one step further with another phrase to remember: i won't be doing anything differently, ever.; emphasizes the "oh well, accept it and move on" thought.

angelmomma Kudos on recognizing when you were full and stopping - just what we are all striving for!

landlady6 Good luck on not being picked for jury duty; what a lot of Beck approved planning: skiing, healthy cabin food and walking on lunch break!

Bill I have to admit, when an instructor cues an exercise I don't like (resistance bands ), I think "at least it's not lunges!" Kudos on channeling your frustation to a good cause. I had a friend with a strict "don't use it" recommendation from her doctor for a similar elbow injury. She is also an artist, so not only could she not exercise, she couldn't paint, which is very important to her sanity. May this "it could be worse" scenario help with acceptance. By the way, She (and her marriage) survived; she's 100% active now.

Cycling and yoga today, although the house is starting to fall down around me. I can hear the sabotaging thoughts faintly. But I know I won't succeed if I don't make time for this first!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #209  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Feeling better this morning! At least the migraine didn't come with a headache, but I was having trouble watching moving things. DS was swinging around his arms last night and it just made my head spin. Very weird, these visual migraines. I only get a headache to go with them about 1/3 of the time, so at least I'm fortunate about that.

On plan yesterday. I'm still fighting crud and trying to catch up, AND it's gymnastics day, so I think I'm going to plan to restart exercise tomorrow. Another two weeks just, zip, gone. It is frustrating not to get some building on my running. I keep telling myself that I've got nothing but time when it comes to that, and it does help.

I had a proud parenting moment when my 3yo DD used the word "crap" correctly in a sentence yesterday. Mommy has some work to do.

onebyone FWIW, I think you are doing an incredible job of identifying and talking back to your sabotaging thoughts about the picture. Keep talking; repetition works. Also, you sound so down. Have you tried the Beck technique of adding up the tough hours yet? Sometimes what feels overwhelming is actually only a small part of our day, and we can forget that--a big one for me. Yeah, it isn't great to feel cruddy for a couple hours a day, but when we realize it is 24 hrs, hey, instant progress! Hope your diet research at the library paid off.

Bill Nice work on the inauguration party! What possessed you to order up a truckload of tempting BBQ? Balancing the menu with salad and whatnot was very smart, for sure.

Sorry about your "golf elbow." Nice job for using your snit effectively.

Lily I think I would have exploded, and certainly if there wasn't some emergency the doctor was dealing with. I know doctors have important jobs, but my time is valuable too, and I just get massively ticked when they don't even attempt to respect that. I think you dealt with it very well, and certainly better than I would have. Did your exercise include pounding it out on the heavy bag, by any chance?

Lucky Charms Sounds like you have some good thought processes going. I picked a diet pretty early on that I could live with the rest of my life. I credit that with losing the 110 and keeping it off (at least in my non-pregnant state) for 6 years.

Jeanie Our company only has time off, with no designated sick leave. The advantage if you don't tend to get sick is that you have lots of vacation time. The disadvantage, for those of us who do (or have children who do), is that you tend to have no vacation. So lots of people just come to work when they are sick and spread it around. I haven't had a real vacation in 10 years.

WTG on listening to your body and walking on the treadmill.

Chris Nice work on stopping when you were full! I have trouble with that as well!

Robin for on plan! (I knew there had to be a smilie for that!)

Rachel I second the recommendation to do small steps on the exercise. I think CBDL makes the point that 5 minutes is better than zero, a concept I'm still embracing. Good job for eating on plan!

Heidi Keeping hanging in there! Sounds like you have a great weekend lined up with lots of fun, exercise and wonderful food. Thanks for doing your civic duty, and hope you don't get picked for any long trials.

davidette on the restaurant. You did the best any of us can ever do in a lot of circumstances. Now that you've done one successfully, you can remind yourself of that, and how great you felt afterward, at the next three. I figure my house is held up by the piles of junk, so better not touch 'em, LOL!

Have a good day everyone!

Anne

P.S. I'm halfway to goal #3, so I went ahead and ordered my reward, a book. I pledge not to open it until the scale reads 198.

Last edited by AnneWonders; 01-22-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #210  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

I have to say this quiet time at the shop has birthed some awesome ideas!! Im so excited about what we have going on!! The vendors are full for our event....and I am heading back to our venue to see about adding more tables without cluttering up the space! Very Exciting! Then yesterday at one of my meetings I introduced a new fundraising program for schools/churches/daycares etc, and within an hour after the meeting I had received a referral that wants to go ahead with it!! Exciting stuff!!

Well today is day 21 of my 21 day challenge. It certainly wasnt a raging success like the first one. BUT I ate op all 21 days, exercised a bit less than 1/2 the time. So that exercise habit hasnt been ingrained yet.

Eating on plan is getting easier tho. I didnt have to think last night at the restaurant, I ordered my burger bunless and had broccoli instead of the fries and it was pretty darn tastey too!

Tomorrow will start another 21 days for me. Eating op and exercise at least 15 of the 21 days. This might be more doable for me.

I didnt get on the scale this morning, because I was just on it on Monday. But things are looking UP!!! (or down ) depending on how your look at it. My cloths are so much bigger. Even the shirts I wear to work everyday are looking a bit pathetic. I'll live with it tho, because I can layer lots of stuff underneath the sweaters and it doesnt look at all like Ive added any bulk

I dug out the pants I want to wear to our event in March. They are just a tad snug. So by the end of march they should drape quite nicely. The matching silk paisley blouse is also part of the plan....but I may not be able to pull that one off. That one has peek-a-boob issues It will all depend on where my body decides to shed the weight.

Im excited! Im excited and so very very thankful for how well things are working out. Im feeling good and in control of my food issues. Certainly makes alot more room in my head for more important things! I also wanted to mention the use of this board and a live diet coach. I had a few very stressful moments a while back. I sat down with my hubby and told him I needed to talk to him. Just to tell him what was going on in my head, and how this stuff sends me to food. At the same time I was posting here about my issues, and the support that came from everyone here was wonderful. Hubby was wonderful, he didnt know what to say or what to do. But he didnt judge, and understood my struggle. You all may not know all the details, but you didnt ask for them.....just offered your support. Thank you all very much! I am seeing the incredible importance of having a support system in place. If you are struggling, think about this and the people in your life that are there to help. Take advantage of it, we are here because we care.

Bill~ you did a good job putting your snit to good use! If you are interested I have a colleague that specializes in sports injuries, and ergonomic consulting. This is the type of thing she can help with. Let me know and I'll pm her info to you.

landlady~ so you dont get chosen!! Im sorry you are having a hard time. Have you tried going back and rereading some of your favourite parts of the book? I have about 20 sticky notes (maybe more) attached to all my favourite pages that I go back and read when Im feeling like I dont deserve this, or I cant do it, or just a plain ole "why me". Most important tho, keep posting here.....it will help you with your struggle.

davidette~ Awesome Job!! Big Kudos!! That was one of my biggest hurdles too!! I fell off plan so why not pig out until the next morning! Do that a couple more times, and you will feel peaceful about it. Its a pretty cool feeling!!

onebyone~ I wish there was more I could do for you.

Anne~ Oh, yuck for the visual migrane. I had to google that one, I had never heard of it. Dontcha just love it when your words come out of your little kidlets My daughter was about 2 1/2 and was telling her little friend at a playdate that what she was doing was "inappropriate behaviour" but it sounded more like "imapoopiate behaviour". She was yelling it for all she was worth too

Jean~ I didnt get a chance to check your link.......but I will

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by RobinW; 01-22-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Closed Thread