3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Step Diet - August (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/147818-step-diet-august.html)

CatR 08-22-2008 08:12 PM

Things have been crazy since I got back from our trip. I should be able to post more regularly again. I am still behind my goal for this week, but hope to make up for it before the end of August. :D

Sassy: I hope your job settles down. That extra 4 hours made a really hard day!

Marmi: The difference between a desk job and a job where you are on your feet all day is a lot of steps. I know my step count can be as low as 4,000 if I don't do any exercise and sit a lot.

Hillarie: Are you doing any weight training? You can count it at the rate of 6,000 steps per hour. Since you are getting so many steps in already, it might be helpful to accumulate more steps with activities other than more walking for variety.

Spryng: The zoo will be a fun way to get in steps. Tomorrow DH and I will be going to an arboretum for some walking. :)

spryng 08-24-2008 08:49 AM

morning all!

wow, we only did half of the zoo and I was at 10,000+ steps!!!!! yesterday was my highest step day of all so far! I think when I went to bed last night I was over 13000 so today I can be real lazy if I want, lol..

Cat, yes there is still enough days in august to make some steps up for sure! what is an arboretum?

CatR 08-24-2008 07:07 PM

Spryng: Good going on your 10,000+ steps. Zoos and parks are painless ways to accumulate the steps.

An arboretum is a park with gardens. My city acquired an old ranch on the north side a number of years ago. This would have been prime land for development, but the pro-park side one and we now have a large regional park with space for all kinds of outdoor events like the balloon races. The arboretum is in part of it and has good walking trails. It is fun walking around and seeing what is blooming during the Spring and Summer.

I am still behind around 10,000 steps for the month even after yesterday. DH and I will be taking a hike this week (maybe Thursday) that should make up a lot of those. This week's goal is 13,000 steps a day so I am going to be busy. :D

We have an old Nordic Track ski machine thing that I don't like to use and we have had for years. Today DH and I started looking at treadmills. :) I will need something like this if I am going to get my steps in this winter when I can't get outside.

spryng 08-25-2008 08:38 AM

Morning all! :)

ok so this week my goal is 7400, kinda scary if you ask me, lol.. probably will mean hitting the treadmill every hr for 5 min all day AND doing another 20 min or so after work, lol.. but that is ok. I do want to list my goals for this week though, besides my stepping one. Ok for the past two weeks because my steps have increased sooo much since my average week I'm more hungry than ever! and I'm having a hard time controlling that hunger or satisfying it. So obviously I've been over eating and not losing any weight when the weight should be dropping off me since I'm moving more than ever. So this week, my goal is... EAT LESS!!! I got online last night and I ordered me a bunch of stuff from amazon.com (my favorite place on the web besides here, lol) I got jillian's 30 day shred book and dvd and break the fat loss code book.. they should be in fast becuase I put in expedited shipping, lol... I'm thinking I may need something more structured for awhile but at least the dvd will be an awesome workout. I also ordered The Firm. I have their old dvd's but I've never owned the fanny lifter. I always used a step stool and a thick book, lol.. so I thought I'd treat myself to their new dvd's and fanny lifter, I think it's called the transformer, but I can't remember right now, lol.. anyway, I'm SUPER excited about this one to include with my steps. I'm not sure how long it will take to get here so I'm thinking probably not this week. But hopefully by next week for sure :)
anyway, those are my plans for right now, gotta get more focused on my eating and get some lbs to budge! I don't want the lack of losing weight to get me down to the point that I will want to stop stepping. this has been the best and easiest exercise I've ever done! So I don't want to ruin it. :)

Cat the arbortum sounds lovely! We have a small park here but it's got lots of hills and suck on the trails so it's a workout to walk :) I havent done it in a LONG time. Maybe I need some outdoor walking.. there is also a walking trail at the college here in town that is more safe to walk alone on, maybe I should go there :) Get some fresh air before I go get the kids... hmmm.. wheels are grinding now, lol!
ok well I'm gonna get the kids off to school and myself back to work, hope everyone has a great OP day!!!! let's get those steps!!!

sassybiscuit 08-25-2008 11:27 AM

Hello ladies!

I am glad to be back. I was out of town since Friday and had a ton of fun. I didn’t however make my steps ANY of the days, so today is going to be a power day. I am down 21,749 steps for the month, so that is my goal for today… we’ll see. I am down 25,517 steps for the week! OUCH! That’ll teach me. Those steps don't even count my 13,500 for today. I REALLY don't want to mess up the whole month!

Hey, there is good news. My weight stayed at 191 even though I ate out every meal. I tried to watch what I was doing, but it’s hard. YEAH!

It looks like everyone is doing well. Spryng sounds like she has a solid plan!

I’ll gab more later, I got a LOT of walking to do. I think I can, I think I can….

Hillarie 08-25-2008 06:09 PM

Hey Everyone, Man it's Monday already. Where did the weekend go? I got my steps in for today at 16137 so far and that doesn't include 20 minutes of weight training and 40 minutes of cardio at the gym this afternoon. I was supposed to mow the yard tonight also but we'll see if that gets done today or I put it off til tomorrow. I can't get my weight to go anywhere!! I am soo pisssed. I'm stuck at 215 and let me tell you it's not pretty. I was the FAT sweaty person at the gym today! I am so embarrassed!! Nothing is making my weight go away. I am starting over on my food journal maybe if I combine stepping and the journal I can get something accomplished. I'm determined to have a calorie deficit at the end of the day if it means walking and walking and walking. maybe I should try walking and eating at the same time maybe then the pounds won't stick to me. Who knows. I'm just upset. I have a goal to be less then 165 by my daughters 2nd birthday. So 50 pounds in 4 months and 16 days. Well that's the goal anyway. Somewhere close would be acceptable maybe. I'll shut up now. sorry. Thanks!

CatR 08-26-2008 12:06 AM

Spryng: Jillian and The Firm will be great for getting in more steps. Hills are a great way to get in a cardio workout and are good for the legs. My outdoor walking at home involves hills. I would rather walk outdoors than do anything inside like an aerobics DVD or that Nordic Track (which I haven't done in a long time).

Hillarie: You are certainly getting enough exercise. I am going to have to start watching my eating if I am going to get below 133.

Sassy: I am going to be busting butt this week to make up my deficit. I took a 1.5 hour walk, did some shopping and a 15-min core work routine and only logged 13,442 steps---only 442 steps over my goal for the day. Guess I spent too much time sitting the rest of the time.

DH ordered a treadmill today. So good-bye Nordic Track. I have been giving some thought to how I want to figure steps for next month. I am considering dropping a day with the lowest step count each week which would count as a rest day. So my total for the month would be based on a 6-day week.

sassybiscuit 08-26-2008 07:08 AM

Hello all!

Yesterday was a POWER day. There’s no chance of me making up my steps for the week… so I’ve officially missed my goal for the first time. It kinda makes mad, but lesson learned and I’m gonna move on. Now, I really don’t wanna miss for the month, so I am going to be busting tush to get these steps made up. I only have 6 days left in the whole month. YIKES! I got 23,311 steps yesterday. It was grueling and I don’t think that I’ll be doing that again anytime soon. I need one more power day (not near that many steps though) and I’ll do okey-dokey for the month. Man, this month has been a real challenge.

Hillarie – OMG! You do a LOT of moving! Try not to be too upset, it’ll move and it makes you feel REALLY good when you make it through a stall. I’ve been through two (one worse than the other) even though I didn’t think I would stall for quite some time due to my weight. You can make it. Look through your food journal, it’ll probably tell you something. Are you applying the 75% rule? I’m trying to do that but am struggling with it a little bit.

CatR – I love my treadmill, but boy can it be boring. It certainly was yesterday! Basing a total on a 6 day week is a really good idea, then you definatly will have a rest day. I’m struggling with never seeming to get a day off, perhaps I’ll think about that too!

Take care and happy stepping!

spryng 08-26-2008 08:31 AM

ok so yesterday was MUCH better! I thought I had blown it at dinner when I ran through taco bell instead of cooking.. but I was thinking that I need to get more strict with my eating even if it's counting calories. The 75% rule in the book really doesn't work for me because it allows too much room for error (for me anyway, lol) so I decided to join the daily plate website and it told me to lose 1.5 lbs a week I can have 1600 calories a day.. so I logged in EVERYTHING I ate yesterday and I was at 1328 for the day, even with taco bell! maybe I didn't do as bad as I thought.. But I think until my book comes in I'm just gonna log calories for a few days, I think my book and dvd should be here today though, we'll see :) But anyway, that is my current plan, lol

Sassy so sorry you missed your goal this week.. but like you said it was a lesson learned and you'll do much better :) wow, 23000 steps in one day! you must have not stopped moving at all!!! that is amazing!!! were you ravenous?

Cat, congrats on your treadmill purchase! I use mine all year long, I really love it :)

Hillarie, you are a stepping queen! all those steps AND structured exercise! WOW! Kudos to you for sure! But I understand your frustration with your weight.. I'm right there too. Im moving more than ever and I'm either staying the same or gaining some.. gotta work on that for sure.

Well I better get the kids off to school and me back to work, yak with you all later :)

spryng 08-26-2008 06:36 PM

So quiet today...

ok so I already got my steps in today thanks to a trip to walmart, lol.. I also got my amazon.com shipment, the one with jillian's book and dvd, ok I'll do the dvd but her book will not work for me. It's low calorie which would be fine but it's also very similar to south beach and I've already tried that diet and didn't like it in the end so I don't want to go back to it and then her exercise program mostly has gym equipment involved and I don't have a gym membership so again, that won't work for me. It was a good read and I collect diet books so I'll add it to my shelf, lol! but her 30 day shred dvd will be put to use for sure! only requires 30 min, dumbells and a tv, I can handle that! LOL! so I plan on starting that tomorrow. Hopefully my Firm system will be in soon also.
But I think I'm just gonna cut calories for now. I like not having to track or journal but I need something different since I'm not losing with the stepping alone. But I'm not going drastic, per thedailyplate I should do 1600 a day to lose 1.5 lbs a week so that is my initial goal, yesterday and today I came in under goal so yay!! Hopefully this friday I have some good news to report on my WI! :o)
alright, guess I'll get off here. Hope the quiet thread means everyone is out stepping! lol!

Hillarie 08-26-2008 09:03 PM

Hey All, What a day. I get off work just to come to the realization that I had locked my keys in the car! What an idiot! Luckily there were people there that could take me home if needed, but I was able to jimmy the lock with a piece of wire with some help from a co workers husband and got in only an hour later! AARRGGHHH!!!! So steps for today so far are 17052. I really don't know too much else. Sorry to be so short tonight I'm ready for bed.

spryng 08-27-2008 06:30 PM

evening all!

boy today has been awful. I think I have the flu. I had to take off work 3 hrs early and go to bed, I was so cold with body aches and fever etc... when I woke up my body aches are gone but my head is pounding off. I'm off the rest of the week so hopefully I feel better by tomorrow. We are going down to my parents in oklahoma this weekend so I want to be better by then for sure.

Hillarie,
terrible about the keys! I've done that twice before and thankfully my insurance covers that at 100% to call someone to come out and open the doors, lol.. hopefully I don't do it again.

So where IS everyone? this thread is becoming a ghost town and I must admit it's discouraging me.

ok I'll check back in later.

CatR 08-27-2008 10:02 PM

Hillarie: I bought a new car (my first and probably last new one :D) 4 years ago. The next day, I went to the grocery store and locked my keys and purse in the car. No money, no cell phone of course. The store let me call my husband so he could rescue me. Fortunately, he worked nearby.

Spryng: I didn't post yesterday because I didn't make my step goal again, fewer than 10,000 steps when I am trying for 13,000. I think that 12,000 steps for 6 days a week is a reasonable goal for me. I am going to drop the lowest step day to allow for a rest day. I figured my monthly goal on the basis of 7 day weeks, figuring that I would make up the steps I missed on Sunday during the week. I am getting kind of worn out trying to do that because it has meant 14,000+ step days the rest of this week. I am also trying to maintain a meditation practice and I am running into time problems.

I could lose weight in the past by keeping my steps above 10,000 per day with Sunday as a rest day if I kept my calories 1550-1600. So 12,000 steps should work OK and probably make for a sane life. :)

A friend of mine has had problems with some kind of flu the past week. I hope you are feeling better soon. I lived in Tulsa for 2 years about 35 years ago. I don't miss the Tulsa summers with the 100+ weather and very high humidity.

sassybiscuit 08-28-2008 08:12 AM

Hello ladies!

It seems that I have little time these days to write, except on my days off. I’ll get better about that, I don’t want anyone getting discouraged! Things are going well! I woke up this morning to a scale that read 190! WHOO-HOO! I can’t wait to be in the 180’s. On another note, I think that I might be reaching my “tipping point”. I have to get 14,500 steps per day this week and it is difficult. I can see maybe going up to 15,000 or possibly even 16,000, but I think I’m going to have to go on “hold” at that point. It’s just too much. Does anyone else feel that way?

I’ve been thinking about September’s goals and getting my plan ready. I can’t believe that Monday is already Labor Day. September is my 3rd month of accelerated step count, so it will be my last one then I’ll go into a maintenance phase for a month or so. That kinda scares me, as I don’t really know how many steps I need to maintain. I was thinking about 12,000 or possibly 13,000, but I may still lose at that point. This past week of 13,500 and now 14,000 seems to be the point at which my weight falls. That’s good to know. Hey! I’m learning!

Spryng – You have always sounded so determined. When something isn’t quite right, you figure out a way to blend things to work for you. It’s inspiring to me. I’m kinda a do-it or not-do-it kinda person and have a hard time blending.. can you tell? I'm not even adding other exercises, just steps. You’re helping me with that and I appreciate it! I don’t know why, but I haven’t really been hungry lately. Even on the day that I got 23,000 steps I wasn’t ravenous. I wonder what’s up. I kinda like not always thinking about food…. oh well, this too shall pass. Darn it. I may have to buy those DVDs your talking about. I need to start planning for cold weather or things could go bad and we’ve all worked too hard to have Old Man Winter goof us up! Hows the flu? Gone I hope!

Hillarie – I’m sorry you had a rough day… those stink. I still cannot believe your step count. What do you do all day?!

CatR – How is the dropping a day thing working? I’m thinking about September and thought that it might help me. I feel like I’m at a “tipping point” (Has anyone read that book? It’s awesome!). I understand how it can wear you out, I’m still trying to make my goal for the month because I got myself REALLY behind last week. Time is precious and escapes easily!

The Daily Plate and watching calories sounds like its working for some. I wonder if I could do it. I'll just keep stepping for now, but I'll look into it. I promise I’ll post more often. I’m always thinking that I want to respond to everyone and I don’t have all the time I would like. I’ll just have to split my time better. I hope you all are well!

spryng 08-28-2008 09:36 AM

so sorry about my post yesterday, I was so sick and feeling down and I didn't mean I was discouraged. I'm sorry. I just missed everyone posting so often on here :)

today I'm feeling MUCH better, my muscles hurt from all the aching yesterday but I'm gonna see how I feel after lunch and then try jillian's dvd I got.. even if I can only do 10 min I'd be ok with that :) I just need my body to start shrinking and giving up the fat! LOL!! I did weigh yesterday morning and I am up 2.5 lbs, I need to change my ticker, I'm now at 145.3 :( that is depressing in itself since I'm moving more than ever but it just shows you can move more but if you still eat more you'll gain weight, lol.. lesson learned. I'm not going back there :)
yesterday I did come up short on steps but I was in bed all afternoon and didn't feel like walking more when I got the kids home, I had 5000 steps for yesterday, so 2400 short. But I figure on sick days that is allowed, lol.. I should more than make up for it this weekend with the fishing derby and all :) But I was right on with my calories so that should count! LOL!

Sassy, Im usually a do it or don't do it person too, lol. But I'm finding lately that I have to make some changes or I may never get these last lbs off, lol.. my body is not my friend anymore, lol.. it's working against me! So I have to add in more exercise and watch what I eat more, which I HATE doing but I know if I don't the stepping alone isn't going to get me there because I'm losing control over my eating :) And yes i know what you mean about "holding" your steps. you guys all step much more than me and I'm finding this week of 7400 to be incredibly difficult to reach each day. So I can't imagine what my final goal of 11400 steps will feel like, lol.. I'll probably have to start getting on the treadmill before work for a solid 30-45 min and still need my 5 min increments while working just to hit it which I'm not looking forward to becuase I honestly hate exercise, lol!! but I'm taking it one week at a time and one step and so far it's working! this is the longest plan I've stuck with in a LONG time, I really do love it :)

Cat, you can still post even if you don't hit your goal! no one is gonna think any less of you, goodness knows I don't hit my daily goal at least once a week, lol.. Oh yes I love tulsa! my parents are about 2 hrs south of it. but my dh cousin lives in tulsa and we love to go visit her, in fact we are thinking of moving there next year :)

well I'm off today and tomorrow so I'm gonna pop in a movie and fold some laundry and have a quiet day at home :) I'll check back in later! :)