Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #91  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Another overcast day -- although there was a little sun earlier this morning) -- looks like a good day to do the laundry.

I haven't seen either fresh or canned Edamame in any of my local stores, but can get frozen (already depodded) in the health food section.

BTW, one of my favourite things about the book is the fact that it explains the science behind the hypotheses very well. Also, if you take a look at the 3FC Maintainers Forum you will see that the difficulty of maintaining is discussed in there a lot. Maintenance (for most) looks not very different from losing in the first place. There is an extremely good topic in there about the "reduced obese" phenomenon that explains why "we" will never be able to eat as many calories as someone who has never had a problem even though we may both be at the same weight -- sad, but true.

Have a great day, everybody . . .
Old 05-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 321.8/261/164

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
BTW, one of my favourite things about the book is the fact that it explains the science behind the hypotheses very well. Also, if you take a look at the 3FC Maintainers Forum you will see that the difficulty of maintaining is discussed in there a lot.
Hi there meowee. I agree: Rolls does an awesome job explaining the reasons and scientific basis. I thought it was endlessly interesting to hear the mechanisms behind hunger and thirst, and how the 2 are not the same! I hear it all the time, "If you feel hungry, you might actually be thirsty so drink a full glass of water and see how you feel." Now I know that it's not true. Isn't that fascinating?

I have a question about a 3 ounce portion of meat. They show in the book that it should resemble a pack of cards. But I want to know if the meat should also not be thicker than the pack of cards. Because most steaks and chicken are thicker, so do you compensate by trimming off a bit on the lenth or width? 3 ounces looks so small! I guess those gourmet restaurants have it right!

More later...
Old 05-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #93  
Onward and Downward

Deck of cards or palm of your hand -- both are good guidelines. A scale is the only way to be positive, but close will do nicely. You don't need to get too up tight about being exact so long as your "approximately" doesn't turn into 1.5 times the suggested amount. And don't forget that most meat will shrink a little when it's cooking.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I read that about hunger vs thirst, too! Somehow I always knew I was hungry, not thirsty.

It's funny how you can never find a piece of meat exactly the size of a deck of cards! I weigh mine when I don't have a very good idea. The shape is sometimes deceiving. After you do it for a while you have a better idea.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #95  

If you guys had a little money to blow on something frivolous, would you buy this?

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Digit...1336225&sr=8-1
Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 AM   #96  

Love it! This is exactly the sort of thing I like to blow money on. I am thinking about it myself. I am a sucker for free shipping. I think I could justify the purchase by saying that when I have learned to judge portions by sight, I can use the scale to weigh out flour etc for baking which is supposed to be a much more accurate way of measuring. Then after I eat all the stuff I bake, I will be back to measuring food portions. So, you see, it is a win/win situation. Seriously, it looks like a really nice scale and it gets very good reviews.

DH brought home a sack of peanut butter M and Ms. I ate a few - looked at the calories and holy ----! 230 per teeny tiny serving. I made him eat the ones he put in a dish and put the rest up on the high shelf. That high shelf is getting a real work out.

I also ate a bunch of potatoes. We harvested them from our yard. They are about the size of marbles - cute! I steamed them, marinated in cider vinegar, celery, onion and finally added one (measured) scant Tbs of reduced fat mayo. This makes a quite tasty potato salad. Still, I ate more than I needed.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #97  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm pleased to say that my dental nightmare is almost over! I got my 5 permanent caps put on yesterday, and now I just need my mouth to recover from all that. It was getting pretty bad by the end of the 2 week waiting period, because my real teeth broke through the temporary caps, and everything was irritating the naked teeth below. So now they're starting to feel better already, and I'm relieved! They look nice, too! Like real teeth.

We've had such a cold spring here that they're telling us to wait to put veggie plants in the ground until this weekend. So my tomato plants are patiently waiting, ready to go! And I'm getting sick of lugging them in the house every night.

Meowee- do they celebrate Memorial Day in Nova Scotia? We all have a long weekend coming up!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #98  

Hi gail: I'm also tempted to buy the scale because I can use it for baking and for nutritional information. I could also just measure my portions and enter them in to any of the online trackers such as fitday. I was wondering how the eatsmart scale would calculate a portion of a cooked dish. I cook a lot. Maybe it would be too complicated for figuring out real life food situations such as recipe portions? Your potatoes sound like they were great. If I had to choose between the potatoes and the candy, I would definitely pick the potatoes. Eating healthy for 2 months has really changed me because I have always had a sweet tooth but now it is under control. Yay!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #99  

Hi guys. I thought I would share a link to the US food pyramid web site, where you can create a menu planner that analyzes whether you are eating "balanced" according to their pyramid thing. Since the volumetrics book uses the food pyramid, I thought it would be interesting to use this pyramid menu planner. But I couldn't get it to work for me. See if you can get a good result:

http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/planner/launchPage.aspx
Old 05-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #100  
Onward and Downward

Hi Chickies . . .

Another cold and rainy day. Went out really early to get Wii Fit and it turned into a whole day out spending money. Hopefully I'll actually get the Wii Fit out of the box tomorrow.

No, we don't do Memorial Day up here. Sure hope you guys have better weather for your long weekend than we had for our Victoria Day that just passed.

See you later . . .
Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

Wow Liz, glad to hear the dental work is almost done.

Only 1 more day left with the kids. Looking forward to swimming this weekend.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #102  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . . . . . the sun is shining this morning.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Good morning! The sun is hiding behind the clouds here in southern New England, and the temp is still in the low 50's. Yuck. C'mon, summer!!!!

Made a "modified" Waldorf salad yesterday for supper, and for lunch today. Used asian pears, some jicama, and an apple, along with toasted walnuts, celery, nonfat plain yogurt and a small bit of Hellman's mayo - oh, and mixed in a sprinkling of coarse, brown sugar (forget what it's usually called - often used as a topping on sweet breads n' such). Didn't have any grapes, or those would have landed in there too! Had about 1.5 cups and 2 ounces of cheddar cheese for supper last night, while the males of the household devoured ziti, sausage and sauce. I normally eat whatever they eat, but the sausage is waa-a-a-y up there in fat and calories, and I needed to keep my numbers down.

I have been stalled at 210# for almost three weeks, and am getting a bit frustrated. I have been working out in the gardens, getting set for the growing season, and I keep hoping that hauling big ol' bags of mulch, digging, raking, and weeding will make a difference soon. Overall, I've averaged -1.5 pounds a week since I've been keeping track on FitDay - so I really can't complain. .....but..... (well you knew there'd be one of those in there!)

I started three different sentences, and they all sounded so defeatist - so, I think I'll wrap this up here. My mood is matching the weather, methinks.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #104  

I liked that pyramid tracker thing. It's been a while since I 've looked at it, but they have some really good information.

We had our pictures taken at work. I looked so fat and so awful! Very discouraging.

That certainly is frustrating to be stalled in your weight loss. Especially when you are doing everything right. Everyone always says, "be patient", but it is hard.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #105  
Onward and Downward

Default the Meltdown

If you tried to check in today, you saw that the server was down. It crashed at 1:40 am. When Suzanne 3FC tried to restore it from the backup, she discovered that the daily backup was corrupted and unusable. Unfortunately, last night was the night when the weekly backup ran too, so its database was also corrupted and unusable.

So we're back, restored to May 22, the date of the last monthly backup. Everything posted since then is lost, I'm sorry to say.

Feel free to repost any threads, questions.

For more information, please see the forum-wide announcement, which is at the top of every forum . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcement.php?f=40

As you can see . . . we will have to establish our June posts again . . . Hope everybody remembers everything they said so far this month . . .

And a rousing for Suzanne 3FC.
Closed Thread