Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #181  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Off for a doctor's visit today, which means I get to check my scale against theirs!

Judipurple- what do you sell at the craft fairs? What do you make?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Hey - here I am!!!

I was lurking a bit, but still here! What has been getting our attention around here lately has been cougars - mountain lions, that is! DH talked to a friend of ours recently, and he is missing his large golden retriever. This dog was known to take down coyotes - no fear, strong animal. The dog has vanished. A few days later, our friend saw, no question, solid ID, a cougar walking the edge of his field (he keeps horses, and has about 5 acres cleared). And, has seen it almost once a week(walking its territory?), or had the horses acting up . Now, he makes darn certain the horses are in, the kids don't wander far, and he carries a rifle when he walks the property. The state Dept. of Environmental Protection denies,denies,denies the existence of big cats in CT.

After hearing this story, we were impressed. We know this guy knows his stuff - he is an active outdoors type, hunter, hiker. What really brought it home for DH & I, though, is while on his way to work, (later than usual, so the day was bright, sunny, clear) DH watched one cross the road in front of his truck, several hundred yards ahead. No doubt on the ID. And then, in the paper several days later, TWO were spotted at a local nature conservancy, on one of the trails, by two witnesses. The article said the lions were mating. And, the State is naturally denying it. Claiming it was a fisher cat (a member of the weasel family), or some other critter. I don't know that someone could confuse a 30 pound fisher with a 90+ pound cat, long tail and all.....

Keep also in mind, that all of these sightings occurred in an area no more than 20 miles in diameter. The range for cougars is 87 square miles for females, and double that for males. And they won't mate UNTIL they have established a territory. Hmmmmm........

The reasoning behind the persistent denials by the state is the concern that acknowledging their presence "might cause panic." Which is somewhat amusing, since they said the very same thing when we started getting black bears returning to the state. And the population hasn't run screaming into the streets...

Sorry to wax poetic on this at length - just wanted to share the latest in my interesting little life, in this nice little town, in the wee state of CT.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program....
Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #183  

Hey, Liz - we posted at the same time!

I make colorful polymer clay gift items and sculpture. Primarily wine bottle toppers, business card cases, pendants, pocket & desk labyrinths, clocks, and key rings. I've been working with the clay for about 6 years. I have a web site (keep in mind, I work in clay, not websites!), purpleclayfeet.com , showing some of my work. I haven't got to the point of having a shopping cart system on the site. One thing at a time!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Supposedly there are mountain lions around here but I haven't seen them. I have seen bobcats. One walked right across my driveway as I was driving out. I also saw one in the parking lot at work. The look like large domestic cats.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

judi- cool website, very creative stuff!!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #186  

I made this for my lunch. I wedged a homegrown tomato and put it around the edge of the plate. I had a square of chocolate and a cup of coffee for desert. The salad was very good and seemed like a special meal although there wasn't much to making it.

http://eatingwell.com/recipes/print/index.php?r=424
Old 06-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #187  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Just a quick

Thunderstorms and flickering lights.

Hopefully back later.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #188  
Liz

Judi- I agree with Teacher- very nice website, and very nice, creative stuff. Since you go to shows only in CT, you might want to look into selling from your site. There's also another site that artist can sell from, but I can't remember it right now- I'll look into it and let you know. My kids and I played with polymer clay a lot many years ago, and I have boxes of unused clay and rods that we made downstairs. I'm also an artist by nature, but now I pretty much only design and paint needlepoint canvas stuff for a lady in town. Mostly florals. I'd love to get back to doing crafts for myself, but there just never seems to be enough time!

Yesterday my scale agreed with the doctor's scale, and I got a nice comment from the nurse about my lost weight, so I was very happy. I've got a heel pain issue that's keeping me from walking, so hopefully now I know how to get rid of it. It's amazing how you take walking for granted!

I'm kind of OP lately, but not all the way. Not sure why I'm having issues, but I need to focus and get back on the wagon.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #189  
Onward and Downward

This morning I have a weather-induced migraine . . . weather is supposed to continue rainy and humid through Tuesday . . . hope the headache has a much shorter span.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #190  

Three days in a row of walking! Uphill and everything! I am just very pleased with myself - oh, I know it isn't a marathon or anything, but for me, it is an accomplishment! I have been getting up in the morning with DH, and after he leaves for work, I am out the door. Of course, the weather has been cooperative, so that helps. I bring along a walking stick (after the cougar issues lately, it's a comfort), and use it to stretch my arms and do "lifts" as I bee-bop along. I am sure the neighbors think I'm a loon. Only an hour thus far, but I try to increase the distance in that time frame.

With any luck, it'll help bring the numbers down a bit - or at least tighten up these "cheesey" thighs!

Thanks for the kind words on my clay work. It keeps me sane, after a day of bus driving!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #191  

hi all- well it's raining again today i plan on doing a workout video and maybe a yoga video.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #192  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . .

Weather seems to be an instant replay of yesterday and the headache is still niggling around the edges of my brain. Luckily I have no great plans anyway.

Did manage to eat decently yesterday, but still have the water weight and puffy ankles; so guess this will be a day of slugging in extra water to see if I can move the lump.

Have a good Sunday . . .
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #193  
Liz

I also have migraine issues related to large barometric changes, so I can relate to you, Linda. A lot of people don't believe it's true, and that we can feel it, but it is. I'm less sensitive now because of the medications I'm on, but I used to be able to predict strong weather pretty accurately. That's probably only a handy skill if you live on a boat.

I found out that my heel pain is called "plantar fasciitis", and that it's very common. Just adding some stretching before I get out of bed in the morning has made a huge difference. Have any of you had issues with this? How long did it last?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #194  

Feel better Liz!!!

I went for a long walk today and the movies this afternoon.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #195  

I get terrible headaches. The doctor told me that the older I get, the fewer of them I will have. He said no doctor goes to an old folks home to treat migraine. I always say that I can feel where the headache was even after it is gone. I have much more trouble in the spring and summer than in fall and winter. I wonder if it has to do with allergies. The barometric pressure doesn't change much around here, but when it does my joints ache.

I have been doing a lot of defered housework the last few days. It is very hot and I get tired fast. My eating has been really bad. I have plenty of good things to eat. There is just too much of DH's snacky stuff around and sometimes I just can't leave it alone. I haven't eaten huge amounts of anything, just a bit of this, a bit of that and it all adds up rather quickly.
Closed Thread