Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #31  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Book 2) The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories

Book 1) The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan: Feel Full on Fewer Calories
Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

Hi all,
Well it was a good day even though I slept in and didn't get my exercise in
Old 01-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #33  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Well, I had a nice surprise at the doctor's yesterday! Apparently my scale weighs 2 lbs heavy, so I just magically lost 2 lbs! That puts me at the door to Onederland! I'm also eating out 3 times this week, so I need to stay in control and not celebrate too much...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #34  

Thanks for the info about the books. I'm reading a similar book called Hunger Free Forever.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I happen to like the first book best. I, too, got it from Amazon. I got the second book out of the library and read it, too. I certainly don't figure the energy density of everything, but I do think in terms of more water and more fiber and cooked grains in my diet.

I started out not counting anything and lost weight well. I just couldn't face anymore food diaries, journals etc, even though I know that stuff works. Now, I am not loosing and I believe that calorie counting is in order if I want to loose my last 15 lbs.

And, Carol, I am exactly like you. I don't want to have to be obsessed with my diet all the time. I like to cook and eat, but there are times I just want to get on to something else. I think part of the equation is to change your eating habits while loosing weight. Then when you reach goal, you will be used to eating healthy stuff and won't automatically reach for the unhealthy stuff. In theory, anyway.

I got Everyday Food from the Kitchens of Martha Stewart Living out of the library. It has lots of simple recipes. I made the curried carrot soup and it is really very good, and certainly fits into a Volumetric program.

Curried Carrot Soup

2 tablespoons butter (I used cooking spray and about a tsp olive oil)
1 Cup chopped onion
1 tsp curry powder
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
2 cans (14.5 oz each) reduced sodium chicken broth (I used all fat free broth and no water)
2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)

1. Heat butter in a large (4-5qt) pan over medium heat. Add the onion, curry powder, 2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the broth, carrots, and 3 cups of water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover, and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.

3. In a blender, puree the soup in batches - be careful with the hot liquid. I used my immersion blender, which works like a charm for this sort of thing - you do it right in the pan. Transfer soup to a clean saucepan. Add more water to thin to desired consistency ( I didn't add any more water). Reheat, if necessary. Stir in the lemon juice. Serve garnished with the cilantro, if desired. I sprinkled about a tsp of my 50% less fat bacon bits on top, along with the cilantro.

Serves 4 - This recipe makes a lot of soup, so the servings must be big. You get a lot of food for little calories.

Per serving: 185 calories; 6.3 gram fat(using 2 T butter/per recipe); 5.7 gr protein; 28.3 gr carbohydrates; 4.3 gr fiber

We went to Costco and Trader Joe's yesterday. Among other things, I bought 10 lbs of carrots. What was I thinking??? Only eight more pounds to use
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #36  
Onward and Downward

Oh my busy, busy, busy . . . hopefully this little stint of being drastically overly busy will soon be over.

See you later.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #37  

Hi all-
I'm so happy the weekend is finally here.

Liz- Congrats on the 2 pounds. How often do you weigh in?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Besides the carrot soup, I poached a bunch of chicken breasts, sliced them and froze for future use. I also cooked up a big pot of bulgur and divided it into portions and froze it. I just love to be able to open my freezer, grab a few little containers, and my lunch is ready except for fruit and salad.

Tonight I had grilled scallops, onions and peppers on a bed of bulgur. Fresh asparagus and a big green salad with tomatoes and sprouts. It was good and I feel really full.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #39  
Onward and Downward

Morning . . .

You've got me over your dinner, Gail -- sounds great.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #40  

Happy Saturday everyone,
I getting some family and exercise time today Have a great day!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #41  

Good morning,
I'm down 3 pounds this week I'll get to the store today for tons of yummy healthy foods.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 AM   #42  
Onward and Downward

Hi there, gang . . .

I had a busy weekend but it was the nice kind of busy if you know what I mean. Hopefully, today should just about wrap up the work-kind of busy and give me more time for chatting.

See you soon.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #43  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on the 3 lbs, teacher! If I'm doing well I weigh in every week. If I'm not, I do it every other week. I try to do whatever will make me feel the best about myself.

I've had a cold all weekend and have felt really lousy the whole time. I figured it might have helped me lose weight, but when I got on the scale, it didn't. Maybe I'm retaining snot!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #44  

Liz- feel better

It's was a busy day at school. The weird thing was I wanted to eat all day but some days are just like that for me. It's a constant battle.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #45  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning, gang . . .

Well, WINTER is back with a vengeance. We have a fresh new layer of white and sparkly all over and, unfortunately, it is still snowing -- sideways -- because the wind is howling madly out there. I'm just glad that I don't have to go anywhere today.

The good news is that I have finally finished (almost) with the work-stuff and can get back to some of the more important junk in my life.

Keep doing the good stuff just as much as you can everybody and I'll be back to chat really soon . . .
Closed Thread