Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #16  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

My weather is similar to yours right now, Claire- we had a high of 58 today, and we're headed back to winter over the next few days. Crazy, huh?
Tell us about your cat(s) if you have any!

I officially weighed in today and was surprised to see that I had maintained the weight loss that I worked on before the holidays. I figured that if I went into them with some leeway, I might still come out ahead. So now I'm even closer to Linda's "Onederland"

My neighbor is interested in Volumetrics, so I'm giving her the book today- hopefully she'll come on board and I'll have a diet partner!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

Hi-
Today was a good day. A little too high for my food but I exercised and I'm feeling more in control, baby steps
Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #18  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Hello, all!

Well, I had my big weigh-in today and I have lost 16 pounds over the holidays. I had lost 5 pounds thanksgiving week and hadn't weighed in since then.

I credit much of this success with the few changes (baby steps) I made recently, including eating foods with a higher water content before my "main course" -- must admit, my jaw hit the floor when they told me how much I'd lost!!

As for my furries, we have a brother and sister -- Rusty is our (neutered) male, kind of a pinky-tan tabby, big old lover.

His sister is BooBoo -- she has been spayed and is extremely shy with everyone but my husband and I. She will tolerate you if you come to our house often enough -- has a very sweet disposition. She is tortoise shell with a white bib and tummy and has a ginger mustache and goatee!

We got them from a lady who loves kitties (hers live in a nice clean barn) and they are half Persian and half Norwegian Forest Cat. They have the Forest Cat face and size and coat, with the LONG Persian guard hairs and wide, tufted paws.

I have always had cats, with the occasional dog/fish/bird thrown in the mix...

Also enjoying getting to know people here. The plan isn't glamorous or in-your-face, but it's working!

Anyone see the commercial where the couple is in the fancy restaurant and he refers to their portions as "elf food?" How many diets have we been on where we ate "elf food" and wondered why we didn't lose much weight after the first couple of weeks?

This plan is awesome because I get to eat good stuff, and eat enough so I'm satisfied.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

Last edited by waterbaby; 01-08-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I just saw that "elf food" commercial this morning. My face fell just like the couple in the commercial when I saw what they got for a meal. I could feel their pain. Anyway, yes, I am grateful that I can have just about as many aspargus spears as I like on this plan.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #20  

Height: 5ft 5.5in

Howdy do everyone! WOW!! 16 pounds lost over the holidays - that is awesome! I don't think I could have lost that much without having something amputated.

I'm back in line with the plan, soup and a big salad for dinner. I was careful with the croûtons and the dressing.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and bought some fruit and stuff that is more volumetric friendly. Gotta drop some pounds. It's really starting to affect my back and joints. I dug up my tomato patch over the weekend any my back still twinges a little. We are talking something that measures only 4ft x 6 ft and the dirt is so nice and light from my 14 years of putting tomato plants in the same spot that it doesn't take much to fluff the dirt anymore. It's good, black, Midwest dirt now instead of the Texas gulf coast clay that is suitable only for throwing pots. Anyway, I don't want to be physically impaired only because I'm fat.

Yup, I'm starting to use the f word, no more politically correct words like plump, stout, zaftig, overweight, under tall, etc. I'm fat but I'm gonna be less fat if I stick to it and drop some pounds. I'll never be a size 2, but I'd be happy to just be able to shop in any store I want instead of only the plus size stores. Besides, rumor has it that we'll be hit with a premium surcharge next year at work if our BMI is over a certain point. I don't want to pay that extra amount!

Have a great evening!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #21  

Hello all-

I saw the elf food commercial funny stuff

bobbigene- yum tomatoes I love, love, love home grown tomatoes.
What field of work are you in? A fee for a certain BMI, that's tough stuff!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #22  
Liz

Congratulations, Claire! Boy, if you lost 16 lbs over the holidays, just think what you can do now that the special food pressures are off!

I'm starting to hear more stuff around here, too, about being financially penalized for having a high BMI. Our work hasn't said anything about it yet, so I'm also hoping to bring mine down before the company gets that far. I'm sure at some point all the health insurance companies will jump on that bandwagon- anything to save some money. I think it's only fair if they honestly try to help you lose the weight first, like with discounts on programs or equipment or gyms, something like that. I think they offer smokers discounts on programs.

Well, enough lollygagging around. It's time to get going on with my day. Here's hoping everyone has a great Volumetrics day!

Thanks for the inspiration, Claire!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #23  

I usually post in the IE thread but it is really slow right now so looking for a new home. I read this book a long time ago but can't remember what it said except the things that Meowee posted in the first post. I would like to learn how to eat and not THINK about it all the time......just eating healthy and keeping up with exerise. We have a nice elpitical. Lately, I have added more fiber by eating bran buds and it does help in number of ways but gets boring. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #24  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Hi everybody . . . and welcome aboard Carol . . .

Just another quick little fly-by for me . . . gee, I hope this 'working while retired' garbage is over soon and I can get back to the important things in life . . . like all my buddies around 3FC.

Keep fighting the good fight, gang . . . see you soon . . .
Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #25  

Welcome Carol- I workout on an elliptical

It was such a busy day at work. Ahhhh, I want things to slow down. Have a great night everyone!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #26  
Liz

Hi Carol- I'd recommend finding the book and reading it again, specifically the second one. It gets to the point faster. I found it at the library, so there's plenty of them out there. Then you've got all the right info plus you're fired up. I think you can get away with not counting and calculating if you have a lot of weight to lose, but if you're coming into the home stretch, you need to pay attention. At least, so I've heard. I'm still in the long run part.

Went out for dinner last night with my old college roommates, and I was pretty good. We went to the Olive Garden, and I didn't even have a breadstick, but I did have 2 glasses of wine. The bread wasn't worth it, the wine was.

I have my bi-annual doctor's appt today- I'm curious to see what their scale will say. Unfortunately, it's scheduled for the afternoon, so I'll have to eat beforehand. It should still be better than last time, though.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #27  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

things are getting a little better . . . at least I'm getting to say HI two days in a row . . .
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #28  

What is the name of the 2nd book?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #29  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Hi, all!

Bobbigene, I completely agree about using the f-word. I'm FAT and there's no getting around it. But I try to not let it define me, either. Oh, and tomatoes - yum!! All varieties!

Carol, the book I ordered came out last year and has recipes in it and the word "techniques" in the title. The first one came out in 2000 and I think is called Volumetrics Weight-Loss Plan or something similar.

I got mine on Amazon for $9.00 like-new and that includes shipping.

Funny thing -- today is the first time something strange happened -- I have not sat here, thinking about what or when my next meal happens. Pretty amazing!

All the ladies at my husband's work want to know what I'm doing to lose fat. I told them it was unglamorous, and pretty simple. After giving them an overview, I doubt many will actually try it, which is a shame.

I'll post more later -- hope everyone has a fabulous day! It's 50 degrees and windy/rainy with big old black clouds -- I feel like I'm working in a haunted office -- all that's missing is the ominous organ music in the background and disembodied hands appearing in thin air, muhahaha!!!

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #30  

Height: 5ft 5.5in

Good afternoon everyone! It was foggy this morning and the roads were slick in places but by afternoon it was glorious. We are supposed to be clear with Chamber of Commerce weather all week. The Houston Marathon is this Sunday and the runners are saying the weather should be perfect for running 26+ miles. More power to them!

I hope that I'm doing OK this week with my food intake. I guess I'll find out this weekend when I step on the scale. Hope everyone is doing well. Talk to you later.
Closed Thread