Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #1  
Wheeeeeeeeee!

Red face Aaaand..... one more time!

Well, I'm trying it again. This diet/lifestyle/losing weight thing. Every time I make a conscious effort, it points and laughs at me. My last effort stopped early this week, when I weighed myself after three weeks of a reduced calorie diet, combined with twenty minutes of walking, five days a week. I hadn't lost a pound. So I decided, hey, I can not lose weight while eating ice cream.

That was a fun wagon to fall off of. But now I'm giving it another go.

A little about me: I'm 24, married with a 7yr old stepson. I've been chubby for as long as I can remember, back from the days when the mean little boys in elementary school used to say "Hey Lisa, grow UP, not OUT." (Of course, the requisite reply was "I'm fat. You're ugly. I can lose weight." Didn't do much for the self-esteem, though. Sigh.) At my biggest, I was 220 as a senior in high school, wore size 22 jeans. I ate out of boredom, and for comfort. Depression runs in my family, and macaroni and cheese was my cure. I've managed to get a handle on it without medication, but food still creeps in when I'm feeling down.

When I met my husband the summer of 2000, life was GREAT. Better than great. Between his influence and walking to my college classes, I dropped down to just shy of 180. I managed a size 14. What's crazy was that I still ate EVERYTHING I used to.... at least, it seemed like it. I was never hungry. But that little bit of walking was a huge kick in my ample behind, and it made an incredible difference. Unfortunately for me, that big change left me thinking that losing weight was easy. Effortless, even. So guess who didn't work to keep it off. Mmhmm.

Two years later, after marriage and subsequent marital problems, I was back up to almost 200. Today, a year and a half after the 200 mark, I'm sitting at a squishy 210. My mom managed to change her lifestyle and - mind you, I'm thrilled that she's at 175, looking fabulous, and gave me her entire professional wardrobe - I'm just grouchy. She's 46 years old. I'm 24. I'm supposed to be the skinny one! (.... if she ever comes here, I DIDN'T just tell you her age. Shh.... )

So here I am, wearing Mom's size 18 jeans and in serious denial. The marriage isn't doing much better (*chants to herself "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger"*), and I'm suffering from a serious lack of self-confidence. The support system I had four years ago from my husband is gone, and with my moodiness (wheeeeee!) I can't keep myself going. My metabolism and I are having differences of opinion, and he's winning. (It's GOTTA be a man. I never get this mad at women. I should name him. Manny Metabolism. That *******.)

That's me, in a very large nutshell. My goal is 150. Now I just have to figure out how to get there.

Thanks to everyone for this wonderful site!

Last edited by aphrodeia; 04-02-2004 at 10:15 PM. Reason: where's my signature?? .... THERE it is! whew.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:32 PM   #2  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Default Welcome!!!

Hi there and welcome to the forums! I am new too as of last week. I am following WW flex points system and am not doing the greatest. I have been having a little "treat" here and there and that is not going to make me lose weight.

Sorry to hear about your marital problems, it is hard not to have a support system at home. That is what makes it easier. My bf is really supportive of what I am doing but he still eats his big macs without gaining an ounce

I will introduce myself to you, I'm Stephanie, 24 yrs old. I have had a weight problem since I was 12 or so. I was chubby and hit my all time high of 175lbs (on a 5'1" frame) in grade 10 and 11. In grade 12, I followed a plan from my gym and lost almost 35 lbs. At about that time, I started university, felt great about myself, and seemed to be eating everything in sight without gaining a pound. I never saw the freshman 15, if anything, I lost. But I was never hungry either, and was ALWAYS on the go.

Met my bf in 2001 and we have been living together for almost a year. I have since graduated uni, have a sit on my butt job and don't do anything but "hang out" with my bf and friends. I used to go out all the time. So I have gained 15 of the 30+ I lost.

Now, my goal is 115 since I am short and want to be in a healthy weight range. I need to add exercise in to my life because that is defintely one of the most important things. And I have to stop my overeating since I am not as active as I used to be. PORTION CONTROL for me is key

Well sorry to have rambled but I just wanted to let you know a bit about me. Welcome to 3FC. Maybe you can join the Spring Challenge, I just did, what a great motivator. It's nice to meet you and I hope to read lots more of your posts and achievements!!
Old 04-02-2004, 11:07 PM   #3  
Wheeeeeeeeee!

Thanks for the welcome, ozziesgirl!

I neglected to mention, I'm 5'3", so 150 won't even be in my optimal BMI whatever thingy. But I've got a really chunky frame (seriously! big bones!) and I'm worried that if I get too skinny that I might look all out of sorts. Not that I need to worry about this now! I have several months until that becomes a concern. But I've always thought that size 10 pants would be just marvelous. That's almost half of me right now!

I'll definitely look into the challenges, they sound like they could be great motivators. Which is definitely what I need.

It's nice to meet you!
Old 04-03-2004, 06:26 AM   #4  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

I am big boned as well. My goal is 115 but I have never been close to that, well maybe when I was 12 haha so I am not sure if that will be too thin for me. I am muscular by nature so that may not be a possible weight for me. I just picked a nice number in the middle of the healthy weights for my height to go with as a goal. So I might stop in 20 lbs I might stop in 30 who knows. It is nice to meet you as well and I hope to be chatting with you in the near future! Good luck!
Closed Thread