Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #1  

Default hello, from a concerned hubby

Last night my wife decided that she's going to get a lap band. She has not seen a doctor about it yet, this is just her own thinking at this point.

She has been struggling with her weight since we met, over 20 years ago. When we met, she weighed about 135#, height 5'5".

I read about lap bands this morning and told her that she would need a BMI of at least 35 to meet the minimum criteria. I calculated that she'd need to weigh roughly 220#.

I was shocked to find out that she is pretty close to meeting those criteria. I had no--absolutely no--idea that she weighed that much. She's kept it a secret from me. For years I assumed she weighed around 190#.

Does anyone have any experience or advice about lap bands?

I need to add--she eats roughly 1800cal/day and has done so for years. She has had her hormones/thyroid tested and the results are always just shy of medical intervention. She walks as often as she can, and swims as often as she can.
Concerned Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Concerned Hubby! There is a section on this forum for Weight Loss Surgery and I believe there is a sticky at the top of the section which explains different types of WLS. I would encourage you and your wife to read through the posts in that section to get a feel for the experience of others and feel free to post questions of your own. The members a very helpful!
Best of luck to you and your wife.

Last edited by NEMom; 01-18-2012 at 09:47 AM.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #3  

Thank you, NEMom.

I started reading through the stickies.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Welcome to 3FC.

At 220 pounds, I think your wife should be able to lose weight on 1800 calories a day. She might THINK she's eating 1800 calories a day, but she's probably eating more than that. It's easy to underestimate calories by getting portions sizes wrong, reading labels wrong, not counting everything, etc.

My BMI was above 35 when I started, so I could have qualified for the lap band surgery. I'm glad I didn't do it though.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #5  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Actually, while Concerned Hubby did not ask about it but 1800 calories a day without regular exercise is closer to maintenance calories for an average woman. If she was working on losing weight her calories should probably be closer to 1300-1500 with regular exercise.
I started very close to his wife's size (don't know her height) and I try to consistently keep my calories between 1300-1400 calories and I exercise at least 5 times a week.

Last edited by NEMom; 01-18-2012 at 11:15 AM.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #6  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Height: 5'5"

I agree that 1800 isn't weight loss calorie range for her. I'm also 5'5" and started in the 220's. My calorie range is between 1300-1400 and I'm losing 1-2 lbs a week.

There's a lot to think about. I think it's great that it's something you guys are talking about and that you're doing some research for her. Since you're discussing it, maybe direct her to this forum? It might help her find what will work for her.
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #7  

Why are we hearing from "concerned hubby" about what this adult should do or eat and not from the adult herself?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

CH - one thing to consider is, if you expect your insurance company to pay for it - most insurance companies require a period of time - 6 months, 12 months etc - on a medically supervised diet/exercise plan... If she is looking for the easy way out, this is NOT it. If she was keeping her weight "a secret" from you, you never know what shes really eating or really walking either.

Its much more likely that she is eating way more than she thinks, and probably not exercising as much as she thinks. I'm not a calorie counter and lately I have started paying attention to the calories in things I normally eat and I am SHOCKED. For example a chocolate chip muffin from the bakery in my building which I would have once or twice a month is 660 calories and a particular chocolate bar I was having on a DAILY basis was 550 calories!!!

If your wife is really interested in losing some weight, she should come here herself and join this fantastic group of supportive people and actually work towards her weight loss. I also qualify for the surgery and its not even a consideration for me. Thats why I am here.

Perhaps you can join her in an exercise/eating program that you can both do together. I don't know how much you weigh but most people can stand to lose a few pounds. And even if you are the perfect size, I'm sure you would be willing to do it to help your wife in a much healthier and supportive way.
LittleBrownBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Welcome to the forum!

I was 225. I have lost 30 lbs through diet and exercise and have every reason to believe that I can continue to lose the weight and believe many people can lose weight that way. It's work and requires commitment, but so does surgery because surgery requires a lifestyle change afterward that you have to stick with. I don't know your wife's circumstances- there are some good reasons sometimes why a person will opt for surgery. If she is considering it, perhaps she should join up and discuss on the surgery board here. It's a non-judgmental area where she can discuss pros/cons with people that have done it.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #10  

O.k., well.

First of all, she won't join because she is absolutely uninterested in social networking. She joined Facebook as a way to keep in touch with relatives, and won't even post there.

Second of all, I'm just trying to find out as much about it as I can because I'm of the opinion that she shouldn't take such a drastic step.

Third of all, I see her walking/swimming so I know she does it. She has seriously bad ankles and running/jogging is out of the question.

Fourth of all, she has a PhD in engineering, so when she counts calories she's basically recording data, which is what she spent years doing. Her calorie lists are all around the house. Yes, she writes it all down.

Fifth of all, I can't join her in a healthy eating/exercise program because I already to all of that and she thinks I'm too hard and bony as it is. My body fat % is teetering on the single digits. Furthermore, it's easy enough for me to lose weight that it upsets and discourages her.

Sixth of all, I don't mean to sound defensive, but I've kinda been pressed into it.

Seventh of all, she's been struggling with it for over twenty years.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'5

I am not a fan of surgery even though I surely would qualify. I would suggest a log and have her read some post or read it to her. I hear alot of people would do surgery but I just dont think it's for me. I am on the wonderslim program.......
Shero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #12  

Personally..I am touched that you care enough about her that you even posted here. We can't monitor every mouthful of food that goes into another person's mouth or vouch for their exercise. It doesn't sound, to me, like bariatric surgery is necessarily the answer. It does not seem like her recommended weight loss is unsurmountable...and bariatric is not a license to eat/drink anything you want. I have not had the surgery but even after much counseling, some people I know think they can continue eating their "Big Macs" and such. What a rude awakening!
shortchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #13  
Here to Learn

Concerned Hubby-

Has she been tested for conditions that would make it hard to lose weight despite healthy eating? I had undiagnosed Hashimotos disease (a thyroid condition) for 10 years. Despite exercising and eating healthy, I gained 10 lbs a year during those 10 years. I couldn't figure it out because I was doing nothing different from what I'd been doing for years that had maintained a slim figure. But I could not lose weight to save my life. Finally got diagnosed and put on meds, and it has made losing weight possible for me. I'm just wondering if perhaps it might be something like that for your wife?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Has she been tested for conditions that would make it hard to lose weight despite healthy eating? I had undiagnosed Hashimotos disease (a thyroid condition) for 10 years.

I'm just wondering if perhaps it might be something like that for your
wife?
She's had a couple tests done on hormones over the years and the results always came back borderline, just below the level that would indicate intervention.

At this point she's simply discouraged, disgusted, and tired of dealing with it.

I was looking at the pre-op diets and if she were able to comply with 800-1200 cal/day she wouldn't need the lap band.

I know this is just the Introduction forum, so if we ought to move the discussion, or if a mod wants to move it, that's fine with me.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #15  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Hubby View Post
She's had a couple tests done on hormones over the years and the results always came back borderline, just below the level that would indicate intervention.

At this point she's simply discouraged, disgusted, and tired of dealing with it.

I was looking at the pre-op diets and if she were able to comply with 800-1200 cal/day she wouldn't need the lap band.

I know this is just the Introduction forum, so if we ought to move the discussion, or if a mod wants to move it, that's fine with me.
*Sigh* I get frustrated reading stuff like that because doctors should treat the PATIENT, not the tests. Too many doctors will say (for example) "Well, your TSH isn't QUITE high enough to say you need thyroid supplementation..." meantime your hair is falling out, you're cold all the time, you have brain fog, you can't lose weight, etc and the doctor knows this but still determines you don't need treatment.

I had the same doctor from the time I was 5 years old. He refused to even test my thyroid. I still see him occasionally but two years ago I changed to a naturopath. She treats my symptoms. She still does the blood work and uses it for reference, but what matters most to her is how I actually feel. TSH (just as an example) can be VERY subjective. Some people feel fine with a TSH of 4.5. In my case, my TSH needs to be under 2.0 for me to feel fine. And that's just one example.

I'm not opposing surgery for your wife- that's a personal decision- but I do hope she considers finding a doctor that will treat her symptoms. Even if she has the surgery, if she has an underlying health condition that is going untreated she's never going to feel right.

Good luck!