Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #91  
Version 5.0 - In progress

S/C/G: 222/180/180

Height: 6'2"

Hi all!

I started Ideal Protein "officially" on May 7, 2014 but I actually cut back on carbs (almost completely) on May 2nd and lost 7 lbs before I even got on the plan.

I weighed 222 and wanted to get down to 185. I hit my target in 2 1/2 months, then spent 3 weeks on Phase 2, and just finished Phase 3 yesterday. I lost a bit extra, so my current weight is 178. My new wardrobe cost me quite a bit more than I had hoped, and I’ve only managed the “business basics.”

Today was my first day on my own, dietarily speaking. And I want to keep that weight off. However, like everyone else, I feel that the Ideal Protein Phase 4 "guidelines" are lacking.

My general understanding is that breakfast is pretty wide open (protein, carbs, fat). Lunch is protein, veggies and fat (how much fat?) with very few carbs (how few carbs?). Dinner is protein with veggies and carbs (how many carbs?) with very little fat (how little fat?). Snacks should be "healthy" and having 3 meals and 3 snacks each day will help keep the grumblies away. Oh, and I should have half my weight in grams of protein every day. And 64 oz of water, of course.

I realize they don't want us to be counting calories and carbs as a lifestyle activity, but I just want to make sure that I launch this ship in the right direction. Unfortunately, when they say words like "few" or "low" or some other adjective, they are implying a measurement, which they don't seem to want to quantify.

I’m looking for a few waypoints along my path to make sure I’m not over / underdoing it. I’m not even sure how to know if I’m eating enough of the right things, since I’ve never really paid attention for most of my life. I may very well be under eating and might continue to lose weight. That’s not my goal at this point.

Right now my breakfast is pretty much out of the Phase 3 playbook (albeit a bit more): 2 slices of Trader Joe’s 100% Whole Wheat Fiber Bread, 1 tbsp of Land O’Lakes butter (with canola oil), 4 oz snack cup of Breakstone’s 4% cottage cheese, 10 oz Horizon Organic fat-free milk and 1 cup of blueberries. It’s a bit higher than the 400-500 recommended calories and has a bit over twice the recommended 120 calories from dairy. But the fat / carb / protein numbers are almost spot on. So far, so good. It only takes 15 minutes in the morning before I head out for work, and I enjoy every bit of what I eat.

I have 4 cups of black coffee before noon, but then I switch to water or herbal tea. I always have plenty to drink.

I had a banana for a mid-morning snack. I was going to have an orange, but I forgot to bring it to work.

Lunch consisted of a going to Roti Mediterranean Grill and getting a Chicken Kabob salad with tomato / cucumbers / mixed roasted veggies / couscous / feta cheese. All told only 358 calories, 11.5g fat (4g sat), 18.5g net carbs, 37.5g protein. I don’t know if that’s “low” enough in the carb category. But this is similar to the 2 slices of low carb bread they suggested as part of a chicken or tuna salad sandwich example.

I had 25 raw almonds for an afternoon snack.

Dinner got a bit weird. I was going to fix 100% whole wheat spaghetti with pasta sauce and a “two serving” size piece of ciabatta bread. I also planned on grilling a chicken breast and having a glass of merlot. Instead, I diced up 8 oz of 98% fat-free ham and added that to a salad with spinach, romaine, red bell pepper, baby bella mushrooms, apple cider vinegar and pepper (phase 1, 2 and 3 training kicked in). I was too full to make spaghetti, but that bread and wine were a hit. :-)

I suppose I navigated my first day on maintenance without going too far astray, but I can’t help but feel like I’m gonna screw this up since I’m really just winging it.

What are good beverage choices? So far I’m only having milk in the morning (I like milk). I have black coffee, tea and water for the rest of the day. I plan on having one glass of wine every evening with dinner. Well, 300 ml is a big glass, but I only fill it once. :-)

I don’t want to follow the USDA food pyramid, but I have no clue how to gauge my minimum caloric requirement and what percentage (or grams) of carbs and fats to use as a reference point. 6’2”, 178lbs, 20.5% Body Fat (as of the first day of Phase 3 – two weeks ago).

I’ve been keeping a very consistent food diary in MyFitnessPal, but I don’t know if this is going to be the right tool going forward. Unless you kind folks recommend it for Phase 4 over anything else. I’ve started tinkering with FatSecret, but I’m not sure about that yet, either.

So, I’d like to count some calories, carbs, fat and protein for a while until I can get a decent handle on how to construct meals with fat minus carbs, or carbs minus fat. Then I’ll feel like I can point myself in the right direction.

Any suggestions? Am I overthinking this, or is this a good way to slide into a good maintenance routine?

Thanks for any guidance you can toss my way.

Last edited by JHep; 08-22-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo
JHep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #92  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

JHep - congrats on your losses and making it to maintenance!

I haven't been maintaining as long as some others who will give you some great advice, but I agree that the P4 sheets could be a little clearer.

On the carb and fat separation - you want to have a 3:1 ratio in your lunch and dinner. Doesn't matter which meal is the fat meal and which is the carb meal. If you look at the "what are you eating maintainers" you can see what some people do. I always count net carbs so, for instance, for lunch one day last week I ended up with 10 gr of net carbs and 32 gr of fat (close enough for me, I don't worry if the fat is a higher than 3x, it's the separation that matters). Then for dinner I had 20 gr of fat and 63 gr of net carbs. You get pretty good at figuring it out after awhile.

I'm not much help on how many calories you should be eating. On MFP I have my ratios set for 35% fat; 35% protein and 30% carbs but I don't worry if I don't hit those exactly. I try to keep my net carbs between 100 and 150 a day (that works for me, but I'm an older, short woman).

You might look at the MFP set up in your goals and tell it you want to maintain your weight and see what calorie goal it gives you and start with that. If you lose or gain you can adjust up and down.

Maintenance is really some trial and error but you'll get the hang of it!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #93  

Hi gals. I hope you all are off to a good start to your week. This weekend was exactly what the doctor ordered. I went to the spa, slept in, took a nap, did some fun shopping and relaxed. It was heavenly. Oh, and the scale finally moved too!

I truly think that because I have been so darned stressed out that it was really impacting me. Today is day 27 of my reboot at I am sitting at 134. Last time I did 30 days I was already at 130 but that's OK I am determined to stick it out. Also, I think I have mentioned before but I would really like to get to 125 because I really do need that 5lb range and when at 130 I just feel like I am too close to 135.

On another note I was trolling FB last night and came across a friend asking q's about ideal protein. There were a ton of responses about how it doesn't work and when you start eating sugar again you gain it all back plus some, etc. I had to stop myself from replying because like any diet, it works...its just that you can't EVER go back to old eating patterns. I suppose I am still amazed when I see people complaining about gaining after getting to goal. I know my gain has NOTHING to do with IP but my disregard for following maintenance for a couple months. Proud to say that I kept on scrolling. Maybe I should have cut and pasted the link to the maintainers thread.

This week things will be slowing down at work with students back in classes and peak registration wrapping up. I am actively networking and searching for employment opportunities and will keep you all updated. It has been so hard for me to keep positive with my boss but I really do have some great co-workers and life is more than work. Rather, its a means to an end and like most things attitude is key is handling it. With that said, I am making a conscious effort each day to do my best and know that I am in control much like IP. My destiny is not dictated by others and their actions...all up to me and my reaction.

How is the new hair-do RuthAnn?
Mailie I loved the article you posted. Thanks for sharing.
Canadjineh...are you on the coast yet? I hope everything goes well on your visit and you take care of yourself.
Hawaii...I too love to see inches going down as much as the scale.

Have a good day friends!
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi gals, got back home yesterday evening and of course up 3 lbs today, lol. Not freaked as there was a bit of good scotch, neat, and a fair bit of snacking on Mary's Crackers (Yep two whole boxes over the course of 3 days) and cheddar. Oh, and some gold medal winning wine... Unfortunately, I got glutened by mistake - dinner at MIL's place had a delicious Royal Rice mix that sneakily included couscous (none of us read the label very carefully) and we thought it was all just rice varieties. So for the past couple of days I have been in a bad way GI-wise and touchy bladder, and joint pain, and asthma, yada yada yada. Poor MIL felt so awful about it, but it does serve me right for just taking stuff for granted and not checking closely.

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 08-25-2014 at 02:36 PM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #95  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone! Well, the time has come for a mini-reboot! I had a number of health issues over the last year that actually made it a challenge to maintain my weight (I went down to 126 at my lowest despite efforts to stay above 130), and now that I'm healthier I need to get back on track and lose the extra few pounds I put on as my health improved. I'm tired of my shorts being a little too snug in the rear end.

I know the things I need to cut out (high carb snacks such as GF crackers/chips, cheese, pistachio nuts, red wine), but I haven't been able to stay on track long enough to lose the 4-6 pounds I want to shed. So, I made my first order to Nashua in months and ordered up some of my old favorites. They're due to arrive on Thursday, and I plan to do a mini-reboot starting with P1. I'm actually looking forward to it!

I'm glad to see a lot of the same faces here along with some new ones. It's hard to believe that my own IP journey began almost two years ago, and although I'm up a few pounds, I've been in maintenance for well over a year now. IP really does work as long as you stick with the plan. Wish me luck back on P1. I'm soooooo hoping I don't get the headaches I did the first time around!

Last edited by bubbleblower; 08-26-2014 at 08:20 AM.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #96  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Bubbleblower; You will get those pounds off in no time. Nashua has good products. I just did an order off Netrition.com. Two years is a good success story and I really hope you don't get those headaches again.

Canadjineh: It is too bad about getting that gluten reaction. It sounds like a fun trip and I am sure those 3 pounds will go down quickly. I returned from my trip at goal weight and then ate high sodium and am working off 3 pounds also.

Hi Ruth Ann! Hope your week is going well.I liked that article also.

Jhep: Congratulations on reaching maintenance. Your eating plan looks healthy. You might look at the maintainer thread that posts actual menus. I tend to keep fats at one or two tablespoons. The main key to maintenance is to add carbs back slowly and in small amounts.

Eandc: I am so glad you are looking for another job. However, at least you have fellow workers who are supportive. I so agree with you. If you return to old eating habits, you can easily regain the weight! Ip does work but you really have to make a lifestyle change with healthy habits.

Slipfree: Good luck with work..I hope those cold sores are better. Thanks for your support on my mom.

Hawaii: It was very hard to leave Hawaii, but there was no choice. I am glad you liked that article. There are some limits to the scale.

Well I am back at home and back at work. I miss my mom but thank goodness for the telephone.

Last edited by Maile; 08-26-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #97  
Started IP 12/6/12

canadjineh: Sorry to hear about the gluten. I can definitely relate! Sometimes it is so tough to tell what is actually in the foods we eat.

Maile: Welcome home! It's great you got to see your mom. I still miss seeing mine and the daily calls we used to have. I have ordered from Netrition in the past as well. We're lucky to have a number of good alternative sources.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #98  

Hi gals. I hope everyone's day is going great...those maintaining and those on a mini-reboot like myself.

Today marks day 28 for me and its gone by so fast and has been relatively easy. I am about 134 which is 4 away from goal. With TOM around the corner, I think it's impacting my losses but I can feel it in my clothes.

Its funny because I have always stopped at 128-130 and been satisfied and yet I have to really watch it and reboot because at 135 my body begins to be uncomfortable. I think in many ways its a sign that really I should be hanging out at 125.

Anyone else had to lower their goal after maintaining for awhile. Its been almost two years for me but I really think to stay comfortable I just need to go down.

It's raining here in Denver today and its a nice change. I am working on a few projects so I am not seeing students-I need a break from them-!

Anyone have fun plans for the weekend. I was considering a road trip to visit family about 4hrs away but with all the craziness lately, I think it would be best for me (and everyone else for that matter) to stay home.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #99  
Started IP 12/6/12

eandc2006: It's funny now how I feel comfortable only in a very narrow range. My original goal was 134, but since I start feeling chubby if I go up any higher than that (and yes, I know I'm not), I generally try to stay at about 132. On the other hand, if I go below 130, I start feeling a little on the scrawny side and find that my clothes don't fit as well and it's hard to find things that fit, with long enough legs and arms. I think we all need to find the range that we're comfortable in. Once my reboot is done (impatiently waiting for packets to arrive!) I plan to shoot for 132 and in the future start cutting back if/when I hit 135. It seems strange that just a few pounds can make such a difference in the way I feel. I think the other thing that happens is that we become adjusted to our "new normal" which in the beginning was a place that made us feel thin. Hope that makes sense!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #100  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! Popping in again, not QUITE a maintainer yet, for some advice. I think I am the only one posting currently who is phasing off. I will start Phase 3 officially on Thursday. My home scale says I've lost an additional 5 lbs on P2, here's hoping the coach's scale matches that somewhat, since I feel like I have more of a cushion being 5lbs below my goal weight.

I have spent a LOT of time reading the Phase 3 breakfast threads and the Life After Phase 1 threads (but I'll admit that after awhile there is SO much information that it just starts to swim around in my head). I have made a few sample breakfast lists...but am still a little confused.

I read somewhere that there should be no additional sugar in the introduced carbs (like added to bread for example)....not sure if this is true. I do really struggle with bitter tasting whole grain breads, but I found a whole grain bread today that has a little splenda in it. Also, do the cereals need to have no sugar....seems like all the Kashi one's have added sugar.

I am SO excited to start enjoying my fridge full of fruits (we have small kids, so we always have fresh fruit on hand) including our own raspberry patch which is just about to POP with fresh berries.

If anyone wouldn't mind giving any advice, I would sure be happy to take it!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #101  

Rosie- If i am hungry between breakfast along with lunch break, Let me have a health proteins clubhouse or even 31 walnuts (if I'm having my fat mealtime regarding lunch). My personal trainer disheartened berry after in the day time, however, many men and women get it with no achieve. It is a little bit of experience, to see what makes the particular degree respond.

Do you then have a goblet of wine beverage to help celebrate your current move to repair?
fatlossfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi everyone! Back to 132 today even without P1, just normal maintenance... so I decided I won't do P1 today as was originally planned. Feeling a bit better gluten wise, but my face is a mess of very sore 'pimples.' Slipfree, I sympathize! I'm glad I work alone and in the dark, lol. Hopefully skin symptoms will disappear soon.
Fatlossfast - you must not be a native English speaker , good job anyhow in trying to translate. I think I understand what you mean. It does take a bit of balancing out to decide how much fat or carb and when. It sounds like you are doing well in maintenance. Good for you!
Evemomma, I've never had a problem finding cereal that doesn't have much added sugar, but they are never the cheaper ones. The best way is to see how far down the list the sugar, cane juice, barley malt, honey etc is. Shredded wheat by Nabisco is one that is good, and I eat Mesa Sunrise by Nature's Path for a good gluten free one that even works for making breading crumbs or mixing into hamburger. As for breads, none of mine have sugar in them, but I use specially baked GF ones. I think its a matter of what you get used to after a while. You could always mix your cereal kashi 1/2 n 1/2 with a lower sugar brand - that's what I do with my DH's granola.
Bubbleblower our heights and comfort ranges are pretty darn close, lol. I know what you mean. I phased off at 137 if I remember correctly and if I ended up at that now I would freak. Haha, best at 131/132.
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #103  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Bubbleblower our heights and comfort ranges are pretty darn close, lol. I know what you mean. I phased off at 137 if I remember correctly and if I ended up at that now I would freak. Haha, best at 131/132.
Liana, lots of similarities, including the gluten issues! Can't wait to get started on the reboot. I should have everything ready to start Thursday, and I'm pretty much doing P3 in the meantime. The only thing I'm concerned about is my spin class on Thursday evening, but figure I should be okay with an extra packet. I know I can't stop exercising completely like I did the first time around at the beginning.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #104  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Glad to catch up with everyone. Being dealing with some family issues and been crazy busy.

The scale is a weird thing. Yesterday it said I was up to 136 and today it's back down to 132. I have no idea why it went up - just one of those things. I am glad though that I have learned not to freak over one day weird readings - I'd be a basket case by now otherwise.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #105  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I am glad though that I have learned not to freak over one day weird readings - I'd be a basket case by now otherwise.
Very true, and important for those of us who weigh daily to remember! I'm down a pound and a half since yesterday and I know it's just water. Small things like the amount of water you drink, eating salty foods, BMs, etc. can make a difference.