Old 09-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #211  
Version 5.0 - In progress

S/C/G: 222/180/180

Height: 6'2"

It's interesting to read your discussions about curves. For me, it's all about angles. I've been too "rounded" for too long. Now, I have a framework where I can start carving out some angles. I'm looking forward to that. It's been a long time.

I'd like your thoughts on something. The P1 day-after-an-indulgence-day makes me wonder about calories. If I normally have 2000 calories a day on P4, is the fact that I only get about 1000 on my "pay for it" P1 day a problem, or shouldn't I worry about that?

I guess I'm just thinking ahead to when I start exercising. I'm on P4, so I'm not in Ketosis. Therefore, the calories my body is going to convert to energy are coming from the the food I eat, not from my internal stores (fat and lean mass). If I'm not bringing in 2000 calories on a P1 day, then how does my body make up the difference?

Anyone know the answer to this?

Liana:
You are such a Canatian. 27C = 80.6F It was 32.8C / 91F here on Friday, and with the excess humidity it felt like 37.2C / 99F. You're such a wimp. hehehe

And I giggled about the "straight horizontal line drawn by someone with a light tremor." I used MFP daily without fail during my entire P1, and my trend line for weight loss looks like someone that fell down a very steep flight of stairs, then landed flat on their face. I'll be curious how level my line stays. So far, just the typical "tremor." :-)

Good night, gals.

Last edited by JHep; 09-07-2014 at 11:28 PM.
JHep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHep View Post
It's interesting to read your discussions about curves. For me, it's all about angles. I've been too "rounded" for too long. Now, I have a framework where I can start carving out some angles. I'm looking forward to that. It's been a long time.

I'd like your thoughts on something. The P1 day-after-an-indulgence-day makes me wonder about calories. If I normally have 2000 calories a day on P4, is the fact that I only get about 1000 on my "pay for it" P1 day a problem, or shouldn't I worry about that?

I guess I'm just thinking ahead to when I start exercising. I'm on P4, so I'm not in Ketosis. Therefore, the calories my body is going to convert to energy are coming from the the food I eat, not from my internal stores (fat and lean mass). If I'm not bringing in 2000 calories on a P1 day, then how does my body make up the difference?

Anyone know the answer to this?

Liana:
You are such a Canatian. 27C = 80.6F It was 32.8C / 91F here on Friday, and with the excess humidity it felt like 37.2C / 99F. You're such a wimp. hehehe

And I giggled about the "straight horizontal line drawn by someone with a light tremor." I used MFP daily without fail during my entire P1, and my trend line for weight loss looks like someone that fell down a very steep flight of stairs, then landed flat on their face. I'll be curious how level my line stays. So far, just the typical "tremor." :-)

Good night, gals.
Alright! I resent the wimp moniker! I had to wear full gear to work - long canvas cargo pants, leather steel toe work boots, work shirt under a full safety yellow reflective vest and then run back & forth to the barricades moving them for the necessary vehicles in the full sun for hours - so there!
BTW, that's why I don't live in the East, lol. My hair ends up looking like a full-on afro in humidity - so I like the dryness of the West. Besides, I'll be calling you a wimp in the winter, lol. I like your new mod cut - very chic! Your before picture looks a lot like a friend of mine who is a radio DJ here in town, perhaps it's the facial hair and the impish grin.
My DH's fave crackers are the rosemary & olive oil Triscuits. I like Mary's crackers (I have to be gluten free). I wouldn't worry about the cal count of your P1 after funday... that's not really the purpose - it's mainly to drop the carbs from that day so you don't start the bad old insulin - fat storage system up again. You may not feel much like heavy exercise on that day - I know I don't, but it's only one day and you need rest days in your exercise program anyhow. Why not make it the same day as your P1 to get it over with?

Jenny, you got the perfect P3 breakfast there... keep the cheese (it is your combo dairy & fat) and have a piece of fruit after. There you go!

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 09-08-2014 at 01:22 AM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #213  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

What supplements do you continue to take/take? I am currently taking a Women's one-a-day multivitamin, potassium, high quality fish oil and just ran out of my cal/mag. I bought what I thought would be a suitable replacement yesterday but then realized that it is made of calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide and zinc oxide instead of the citrate forms of all of these in the IP versions. With internet research, I see that the citrate versions are better absorbed and easier on the gut.

Ideas? My stomach is doing just fine without the extra magnesium (was worried I might get the Big C), so maybe I don't really need that one? I have a well-woman check up on Weds so I will ask my GYN what he suggests also.
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #214  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Jenny38 - new clothes are so much fun! And I love your breakfast - yum.

JHep - Nice 'do! (okay, I know, guys get haircuts, girls get 'dos). You actually look a lot younger in the new photo - surprising how that happens when we lose weight. And Liana is exactly right on the P1 day after a fun meal. And also to punish you for having fun - NO, that's not right!

I was stationed in DC for many years and remember the humidity in that area, it was brutal. Walk outside and want to go back in and take a shower. Beautiful area though.

evemomma - I still take a multivitamin, a low dose of magnesium, fish oil, potassium every other day and a Vit D supplement (I have a chronic deficiency - the joy of living in the Pacific Northwest). If you're doing fine without the magnesium then cut it down. Is your doc going to do a blood panel as part of your check up? Mine insisted on every 90 days while I was losing just to keep an eye on things.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #215  

Hi gals. WOW...I am really behind here.

Decided that enough tourture was enough for me at have transitioned back to maintenance. Skipped phase 3 entirely (with coach's blessing) and went back into maintenance. I figured I just need to stay at 130 (or a 1-2lbs range above or below...below please!) and really be diligent in keeping myself in check rather than going on for lord knows how many more weeks to loose 5lbs.

I am of course eating the wonderful phase 3 breakfasts and have been separating the carb/fat meals out. I am going to do some reading over the next few days on here and try and get as much info on that as possible. I also need to download a food tracking app like MFP.

Yesterday for lunch I had a big salad with full fat dressing and avacodo then at dinner it was more like phase 1. The scale is hanging in at 131-132 which is where I want it to stay...not a lb above. I also noticed that I am retaining water (puffy eyes) in the morning so I am thinking another loss could be around the corner. I have been exercising a lot over the past few days (a lot of walking and bike riding). Plus, I am drinking tons of h2O and I noticed that sometimes I will swell up before I loose at lb or two.

How is everyone else doing?

RuthAnn...any more info on your reduction surgery?

EveMomma...you are almost to maintainence! Congrats again!

Canjineh...I love the rosemary triscuits like your hubby does. Are Mary's similar?

Anyone ever heard of Jillians bread? Apparently it is zero carb and from what I have read...pretty tasty.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #216  

Hi evemomma: I'm still taking my potassium and D3 along with my Vitex in the morning after breakfast; Omega Fish Oils, and Hi-Potency Multi just after lunch; then my cal-mag just before bed to help with sleep. I know what you mean about the cal-mag... there are so many kinds and prices out there, you just have to weigh the cost of all the brands that area easier to absorb and pick one of those. Just don't look at the 'cheapies' or you will be tempted. And then you may as well grind up a piece of chalk and eat it.
(note- Vitex and my pre-breakfast Reishi aren't IP supplements, but I've been taking them at least 3 years to help with any perimenopause/pms symptoms, and Fibromyalgia.)
Nice to wear your wedding rings again, eh? Like getting a whole new piece of jewellery... Good for you!

Liana

eandc2006: I love the smell of the rosemary Triscuits - those are sooooo tempting for me - even though I would be very ill afterward for a week if I tasted one again, I still have to do the little talk to that 'devil on my shoulder' and just say NO! Mary's Crackers are made from gluten free organic ingred - rice, quinoa, seeds, and tamari - the closest analogy would be like those sesame snaps except non-sticky and savoury instead of sweet. Bloody expensive though $5.50 per box compared to $2.00 for Triscuits. I buy them as a treat when they are on sale - but they are never cheaper than $4.

Last edited by canadjineh; 09-09-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added thought for eandc2006
Old 09-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #217  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Hi gals. WOW...I am really behind here.

Decided that enough tourture was enough for me at have transitioned back to maintenance. Skipped phase 3 entirely (with coach's blessing) and went back into maintenance. I figured I just need to stay at 130 (or a 1-2lbs range above or below...below please!) and really be diligent in keeping myself in check rather than going on for lord knows how many more weeks to loose 5lbs.

RuthAnn...any more info on your reduction surgery?
Congrats on getting back to maintenance! I'm sure with all you've learned you'll be able to maintain - have every faith in you!

Surprisingly, my insurance approved the surgery in less than 48 hours. I was hugely shocked since I've never had insurance approve anything so fast - it took them 2 weeks to approve the emergency hernia surgery (by which time I had long since had it!). I guess when you're reducing as much as I need to it kind of becomes self-evident that it's a necessary thing.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Jhep - very handsome, love the new hair cut. You can really see your weight loss in your face.

Eandc2006- welcome back to maintenance. Look forward to getting to know you better.

Having the Hungaries today and likely pmsing. I want to eat the entire fridge. Going to get a big drink of water and stay from the kitchen.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #219  

Hey Jenny38: You're in maintenance so if you are having the hungries, just figure out what you feel like most and use that for your carb, or fat, etc. PMSing for me means my inner cheese demon comes out to hunt . So I make that my fat meal and don't worry about how much fat I'm getting those couple days - If I need a salty crunch with it, I'll grab some really good pickles instead of salty taco chips, lol.
If you are a carby type craver, you could do a big bowl of lower glycemic index fruit like berries topped with some plain 0% yogourt with a drizzle of sugar free flavouring - Torani, Mio, an extract. You could also top it with a sprinkle of Kashi granola, or similar. Make it your whole meal by using greek yogourt for protein, or mixing a chocolate protein powder in with the regular yogourt.

On maintenance, we have so many options that work in these cases. I looooove this way of eating!

Liana

Awright, Ruth Ann: Pretty soon it will be 'boobs-b-gone!'

Last edited by canadjineh; 09-09-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #220  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

RuthAnn.. That is great news about your insurance approving the surgery! I also do not like the comments posted by weight grapher when you go up. I have written to her but received no response. I do like the graph and ignore the comments.

Liana: I do love this way of eating also. I really enjoy my meals. I love greek yogurt.

Jenny: Good luck and drink lots and lots of water!

Evemomma: I take Usana supplements for vitamins.

Jhep: You do look handsome. What a difference between your before and after pictures. You look great. My son lives in DC and does not like the humidity. The P1 advice was good..I would not worry about the calories.

Eandc: P3 breakfasts are my favorite. I am savoring the local blueberries as they will soon be gone.

Slipfree: I am finally wearing sleeveless tops also..after many many years of avoiding them.

I am liking the fact that I actually can feel my waist muscles!

I am staying late at work and trying to not let my exercise get cut back too much.

Last edited by Maile; 09-10-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #221  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Maile - I wonder if, since the little scold message has links to a couple of sites, if that's how she's making money on the weight grapher. But, I really pretty much ignore the messages since they are done in small, light print.

Liana - LOL at the "boobs b gone". Won't be quite gone but losing 8 cup sizes might make me feel like they are!

And the really good news is that the surgery is next week! Dr had an opening and if I wait past that it will be December because of job commitments (darn having to play responsible adult!). I really don't want to wait - as you can imagine, the pain on a daily basis is wearing me out. Working on the muscles in PT has helped some, but not enough. Hopefully the next week will pass quickly!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #222  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Liana - LOL at the "boobs b gone". Won't be quite gone but losing 8 cup sizes might make me feel like they are!

And the really good news is that the surgery is next week! Dr had an opening and if I wait past that it will be December because of job commitments (darn having to play responsible adult!). I really don't want to wait - as you can imagine, the pain on a daily basis is wearing me out. Working on the muscles in PT has helped some, but not enough. Hopefully the next week will pass quickly!
Holy smokes, Ruth Ann! Next week - that's wonderful - your back & shoulders will be SOOOOO happy! I can't imagine 8 cup sizes being gone! If I lost 4 cup sizes I wouldn't have anything left but 'beestings.'

Liana

Just a note: Dad's going to have to cover his tomato plants tonight... lows of 2C!! Looks like we are in for a beautiful 'Indian Summer.' (That's probably not PC anymore, but whatever...)

Last edited by canadjineh; 09-10-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #223  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Wow Ruth Ann! Awesome to get in and start feeling better ASAP!!!!

I weighed 129 clothed and with my FULL P3 breakfast this AM at my well-woman visit. That's 41 lbs lost on IP with 5.5 since phasing off. I officially start maintenance today!!!!!! Unfortunately, my ip coach had me down at a different time than I had, but I think i'm just going to pick up my packet of info and be done. She has not helped with phasing off, so i'll waste no more time and energy there.

RuthAnn...my GYN just gave me a full metabolic panel and some other levels since my clinic did not monitor me. Best news is he doesn't believe the lumps I discovered recently are anything concerning (I have fibrocystic breasts)...just more noticeable with less "filling" (I am WAAAY down in that department).

He was very happy for me!

So I plan to eat a conservative P4 lunch and dinner the next few days until I can better plan my meals. Funny, I don't have a huge burning desire to eat "fun" foods. I will do my fun day this weekend but I really like how I eat now even in P3.

So grateful for everyone's help....especially with no coach! Thanks friends!!!!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #224  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
So I plan to eat a conservative P4 lunch and dinner the next few days until I can better plan my meals. Funny, I don't have a huge burning desire to eat "fun" foods. I will do my fun day this weekend but I really like how I eat now even in P3.

So grateful for everyone's help....especially with no coach! Thanks friends!!!!
41 lbs!!! Good goin' evemomma! For all those who are scared of getting to the other phases - it's not the bad thing you are imagining, lol. I say don't worry about 'forcing' your self to have a funday if you don't have that desire to eat those foods. Just enjoy your healthy meals with a nice drink or dessert every once in a while and relax! I think the 'funday' is mainly for those people who still feel deprived in maintenance. The whole idea of IP is that we should get pleasure from our food but not have it tied to emotions. Mindfully enjoying the tastiness...but not looking to food to solve our problems or make us feel better emotionally. At least, that is part of what I learned from Dr. TTC's book & website.
Don't forget to post your meals on the Maintainers what are you eating? thread. It's nice to get different ideas once in a while from others' menu plans and share our recipes.

Liana
Old 09-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #225  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi All! I'm still on a little P1 stint to take off 5 more pounds and get back to my goal. It's been 2 weeks; I'm down 6 with 4 more to go. It's a slow go, but I'm determined to do this and never be over 10 pounds over my goal. Ever again.

eandc: Congrats for getting back into maintenance. It seems to me that the losses are really slow for me. I enjoy the P1 weeks, but I'm ready to have more for breakfast, especially when teaching all morning.

Maile: Thanks for reposting the list from Refuse to Regain. I have the book and have read it, but it was great to see your post as a reminder. Hang in there with your family health issues. You are such an inspiration to me.

Slipfree, RuthAnn, Jenny: Re: the "batwings"
My granddaughter (age 5) always loves to do "mushy-mushy" on my upper arms. She just likes to touch the softness, I think. Also, in June I ran a music camp for children and one little girl (also around age 5- they are so cute at that age but still say exactly what they want...) came up to me and squished my arms and said, "you have that! Why?" My answer: " Oh, I'm so proud to have that! It means I'm a very wise woman! Maybe when you grow up you'll get to have that also!"
And - BTW - I've been wearing sleeveless this summer as well.

Jenny: How old are your twins? My daughter has 3 year identical girls. She still does not get sleep at nights.

Liana: I love Mexican food! Yum!

Eve: I weigh every morning.

Jhep: Great pictures!

Last edited by joysh; 09-10-2014 at 04:19 PM.
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote