Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #76  
Started IP 07/29/2013

S/C/G: 206.8/186/125

Height: 5'6"

I have never heard of them... Thanks

Should I be in ketosis after the first week? How long does it usually take?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #77  

hlfoster9290: tho somehow since starting IP i've found a new inner strength and haven't cheated once in the 6 weeks i've been on the program, i know where your anger and frustrations are coming from. I too am a sugar addict/carb addict.....however, maybe its the ketosis?? i just dont even crave it now...im fully invested and determined. Food addictions are worse than heroine addictions maybe, b/c we actually need to eat to live..... We just need to figure out how to do that..eat to live, and not live to eat you'll get there....be strong for 3 days, and your body will help you from there one out...i promise.

LISA im so happy for you...amazing job ...good luck restarting work tomorrow...

April
eep ...and i too wish we would say where we lose the weight from. My wrists are super super skinny i've noticed but my butt is as big as ever lol

Maxxy it's all good....at least you acknowledged your slip up...i would not beat yourself up over it.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #78  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Hey all! So I am starting back on Phase 1 in two weeks! I was going to start back when I came back from Vacation but instead just went back to Phase 3 to get back into eating better but not back to losing weight.

Anyway it's time to get back on track! My biggest problem and why I didn't go right back to Phase 1 was structure. Before we left for vacation I quit my job to stay home with the kids.... with it being summer we had NO schedule! With work I had a set schedule which helped with eating when I should etc.

Anyway, with the kids going back to school I will have a set time to get up, get them ready for school, out the door etc. Plus I am planning out my day on what needs to be done around the house, when to go grocery shopping etc... I will say I did enjoy the fruit and sweet corn (I live in Iowa so the sweet corn is heaven) but am ready!

I am starting to get excited about starting back, I can't wait to lose rest of this weight!! Oh and I still plan on doing alternatives instead of going back to the clinic, which I am excited about because of the cost and I guess the lady I really liked at the clinic left I have issues switching people! lol

Anyway, putting it out there because then I have made a committment!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #79  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
I'm down 4.8 since my last WI and actually more than that b/c I was fluctuating up and down in June. I broke the impenetrable 170 barrier! I LITERALLY cannot remember the last time in my adult life I was this "small".

My next mini goal is to break the 100-off mark. Lets hope my metabolism is happy now and it will be a short trip.
Way to go Lisa! SOOO close to the 100 off mark!!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #80  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBobber View Post

tho every person is different, if you've followed the program correctly you should be ketosis after your first week.

First off, we need to understand what ketostix actually measure, and more importantly, what they don’t. Generally speaking, ketostix measure excess ketones in your urine. They are considered excess, because they are removed from your serum and shunted to your urine by your kidneys. Their caloric content is thereby wasted.
Of the three types of ketones (acetate, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate) produced by your body, ketostix only measure acetoacetate. This is extremely important to understand, because it turns out that your body produces different quantities of these different types of ketones depending on how long you’ve been in ketosis. If you’ve been in ketosis for a while, you’re going to see a reduction in the “intensity” of what you register on your ketostix for two reasons:

1. A change in the relative volume of the ketones produced/present in your body
2. A reduction in the volume of ketones in your urine as your kidneys reduce the amount they secrete

When you first start your ketogenic diet and you are not yet fully ketoadapted, your kidneys actively excrete two types of ketones into your urine: beta-hydroxybutyrate (not technically a ketone, but it is generally referred to as one in the literature) and acetoacetate. These ketones are created in the liver in a roughly equal ratio....blah blah basically overtime your body adapts and you wont see as much of the acetoacetate in your urine, if any at all....it doesn't mean you aren't in ketosis, just means your body is adapted.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #81  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

Morning all. Hope everyone is having an awesome day. Still OP and keeping moving. I have found that I like looking at myself in windows when I walk by as it constantly makes me think "Wow! Is that me??" I like it.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #82  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Lisa.. Congrats on moving downward again! And good luck with school starting again nxt week. Wow... Seems like it was a short summer.
Yes. Yes it has been

Quote:

RE: ketostix
Don't waste your money.
If you're following the plan, you're in ketosis. It usually takes 3-5 days. Symptoms include dry mouth, bad breath, extra sweating. More symptoms can be researched by googling ketosis symptoms.

The problem with ketostix has already been explained. In a nutshell, our bodies ketoadapt and start burning the excess ketones rather than excreting. Then we can still be in ketosis but have the ketostix register negative.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/125

Height: 5'5"

Lisa! Awesome! Sarita that is sooo cool! I am proud of myself today. I went to a nice restaurant with a friend as I wanted to treat her. They were serving a brunch buffet. We went up with our plates and as I looked around I realized I could not eat anything. So we decided to leave. Then the waitress said that the full menu would be available in 20 mins so we had decaf coffee ( one Splenda only for me) and I ordered a 100% grass fed beef burger, asked for extra dill pickles and a side of mixed greens. I also asked for olive oil. The meal came and I drizzled olive oil on everything, salted it up and had a fabulous lunch! The waitress had just gone Paleo and was so understanding. But I was willing to walk out if I couldn't eat there, which showed me I am committed!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #84  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanced Life View Post
But I was willing to walk out if I couldn't eat there, which showed me I am committed!
so impressed with you
Old 08-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #85  
Started IP 6/21/2013

S/C/G: 246/219/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfoster9290 View Post
ITS FREAKING FOOD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! NOT HEROIN!!! GAAHHHHHHH Whats wrong with me!?!?!??!
I strongly endorse therapy - not as a brush off or an indictment, but as a personal recommendation as it helped me get through some significant hurdles in my life, and taught me techniques to apply to other difficult issues. It is likely why I am able to commit to becoming healthy successfully. I would not have thought I was worth the time or effort before talking through some of my issues with my counselor. I wanted to list some of the things she taught me in hopes that they are helpful. So I am going to channel my inner therapist, playing the game I always play with myself, "What would my former counselor say?"

1) I have the hardest time offering myself forgiveness and assume the worst of my behavior, even though it is an unrealistic standard. My counselor would use the following pattern to help me level set those standards and expectations.

a) Name someone in your life you love, who is similar to you (I would pick daughter, sister, good friend).
b) Describe, out loud, the exact same behaviors you just exhibited and discussed as if that person did them. "XX recommits every morning, but her willpower doesn't last till lunch."
c) Did you describe it the same was you described it about yourself? Did you call her names? Did you think she was stupid/selfish/insert insult here? If not, then you are being unduly harsh on yourself. (Please try to tell someone why "it is different", which is likely a phrase you will try to say. "But it's different, I should (insert excuse here)!" LoL, I do this EVERY time, even knowing the exercise. Why should they be any different? It isn't different, but there is no faster way to recognize that than to try to explain your flawed logic to another person.
d) If you would offer them solace/forgiveness/comfort/another chance... aren't you worthy of the same thing? You ARE worthy of every kind thought you would offer to someone else.
e) What would you tell them to get past this episode, and to break the cycle they were in?

2) If someone in your life treated you the way you treat you, said the things you say about yourself, would you allow it? What if they treated your daughter/sister/friend/mother that way? It would be abusive. Would you stand for that? Would you continue to let them berate you, or your loved one? If you wouldn't stand for it from someone else, then why do you feel you deserve it enough to deliver that punishment yourself?

This is some heavy stuff to deal with and my heart breaks for you. It can be so painful to reach a point in our lives when we no longer feel in control, but I promise you CAN regain control. The food and eating may be symptoms, not the issue.

If you are focused on finding an eating plan that works for you, then don't try to be so extreme that you cannot commit to it. Do the IP Phases backwards - Start with maintenance for 2 weeks, then P3 for 2 weeks, then P2, then P1. That way you can gradually work down to something you can stick to.

Good luck and go easier on yourself. you deserve to be healthy... and you deserve to be happy!

Last edited by lauran; 08-04-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: edited out my preachiness. :)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #86  
Started IP 07/29/2013

Thanks for the great info on ketosis and the sticks..

I am not sure I am actually in ketosis yet. I am on day 7 and have maybe lost a pound. But, after reading about soy and my thyroid, that may be my problem. I have followed my diet completely, including all the salt, extra water, and the oil.. 1 day I added an egg in the afternoon for a snack cus I was starving, but have no deviations since. I am convinced at this point it is the soy..

My weigh in is on Wed. and i will see what the coach has to say. I have been keeping the food diary so hopefully they can give me some advice. I don't think it's the Big C because I started taking colace after the first day and while it may not all be coming out, I don't think its staying in either.

I would like to say this is the best tasting diet I have been on.. all the IP foods I have tried thus far have been great. Fingers crossed I reach ketosis soon and can share my amazing weight loss like the rest of you! You all are true inspirations and I am soo happy my coach told me about this forum.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #87  

Quote:

I am not sure I am actually in ketosis yet. I am on day 7 and have maybe lost a pound. But, after reading about soy and my thyroid, that may be my problem. I have followed my diet completely, including all the salt, extra water, and the oil.. 1 day I added an egg in the afternoon for a snack cus I was starving, but have no deviations since. I am convinced at this point it is the soy..

My weigh in is on Wed. and i will see what the coach has to say. I have been keeping the food diary so hopefully they can give me some advice. I don't think it's the Big C because I started taking colace after the first day and while it may not all be coming out, I don't think its staying in either.

I would like to say this is the best tasting diet I have been on.. all the IP foods I have tried thus far have been great. Fingers crossed I reach ketosis soon and can share my amazing weight loss like the rest of you! You all are true inspirations and I am soo happy my coach told me about this forum.
i wasn't in the Ketosis the first week either....my coach wondered if it was b/c of the carbs i was eating...tho i was eating non restricted and 1X restricted my choices were putting me at the high end of intake for carbs...she suggested that i try and keep my IP carbs below 30 when possible....(thought she had forgotten to give me the sheets that provided me the info an all the current ip products and their cals/fat/CARB/ etc count).

maybe that would help?

Ps if you dont have those sheets i'd be happy to post them here for you..

Last edited by Art3mis; 08-04-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:

Some people will take longer to get into Ketosis. I believe this was the case with my husband (it took him about a week).

I too have a thyroid problem (hypothyroid). Did you discuss this with your Coach? Mine advised me to make sure to space my thyroid medication (Synthroid) and IP packages and supplements well (at least 2 hours apart).

Through this board, I learned that it works better for me to take my thyroid medication at night, just before bed, instead of in the morning. I have a shake as my snack at least 2 hours before going to bed and my medication has all night be absorbed before I ingest anything else! As my weight decreased the last time I was on IP, my thyroid medication became more effective. I actually continued losing weight for a while after I had phased off without even trying!

Last edited by Susie_Bee; 08-04-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #89  
Started IP 07/29/2013

I asked my coach about how well I would do on this program because of my thyroid. She said it would be fine and pretty much ended any discussion about my thyroid there. I used to take my medication in the evening, but as I have insomnia, I take that med before bed and it does not work well to take them both at the same time...

I never received any nutritional info on the IP packets, much less the carbs.. so if you could post that somewhere it would be wonderful!

Thanks all
Old 08-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #90  

as per requested got rid of the big pictures
the thumbnails do not seem to get large enough for me to read the material written on them, hence the acutal posting of the sheets....hopefully they work for the people interested in reading them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipcarbs.jpg (25.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Carbs.jpg (33.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Art3mis; 08-04-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Closed Thread