Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 240/230/160

Height: 5'4

Thank you everyone - so much for your feedback and support. I will be checking in faithfully to learn, get support and give support too. This is a great website and I appreciate all that has been said. Tomorrow, I leave on another work trip. I have packed my IP supplies and cut up vegetables for my layover between flights.
yowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #32  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

I wish you continued success from this point on (and everyone else too). What happened to you is my biggest fear and I truly admire your courage in sharing and getting back on course. As you can see, you've certainly struck a chord with a lot of us. We're here for you. ((hugs)). You've got this!
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #33  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

Let's just say that this is not my first trip to THAT particular rodeo! Not with IP so far, but on every single other diet I have been on in my life since age 10! (I am 51.) Welcome back, we are your people!!
AlisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #34  
started IP Oct 3/12

S/C/G: 225/restart 188/150

Height: 5'7"

Welcome back and I wish you all the best. I've been there many times and still struggle with changing my mind set and I imagine it'll always be a bit of a struggle but the way I look at it is...it'll be worth it in the end
clo2551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #35  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

First off congrats for getting back on the program. That is the most important step.

While I agree that planning is very helpful with any dietary program I think what you need to do is continue asking yourself questions.

I'm pretty good on the physical side of weight loss but the psychological aspects are not something I'm adept at. In my opinion - what caused you to fall off the wagon and stay off as long as you did is completely mental. While there are of course strong ties between the body and the brain it's worth exploring further what may have triggered this and why you didn't jump back on the wagon sooner.

Hopefully Kaplods will take a break from her book writing to come take a crack at this...
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear66 View Post
I'd been doing great and took "just a little time off" to celebrate my birthday and my best friend had flown in for the weekend. Which would have been fine but then I never got back on.

My mother was an alcoholic. I am starting to examine how I use food exactly the way she used alcohol. I would get so sad when she said she was just drinking "just this one day" but I knew it was the start of a binge b/c she could never do just one day.

I am taking a class "Made to Crave" which is a program to accompany whatever diet program you're on but addresses the spiritual / emotional causes of overeating. This diet works GREAT but it treats the symptoms. If the cause is never fixed the problem keeps coming back.

Thanks for your honesty - so many of us can relate!
great post! Im also in the same position as you with your mom. Counseling has helped me so much to figure out the causes. IP has helped with the symptoms!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #37  

Height: 5'2"

Thank you for sharing your story and your struggles. I have a favorite saying that I have used regularly with my running and training, especially when I was feeling a bit discouraged... The miricle isn't that I finished, the miricle is that I had the courage to start... john bingham. With dieting, with training or anything else we do in life, it is about the journey and that fact that we have had the courage to start (or get moving again)
ddpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #38  

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back...it seems we all have fallen off the diet wagon and seen weight return. Usually, for me, it was all that I had lost and then some, so you are leaps ahead of me by coming back still having a loss. This hasn't happened to me with IP, but like others have said, it could be any one of us any day, it could certainly be me. That's a huge fear I have. Thanks for posting, I know your post helped me and probably many others. Much success to you!!
rcrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #39  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Hopefully Kaplods will take a break from her book writing to come take a crack at this...

My take on this is that the only thing you're doing "wrong" is wasting your time with shame.

You gained 30 lbs, you didn't kick a baby. You didn't poke out the eyes of a puppy. You got off track, you neglected your body, and once you started backsliding, you procrastinated instead of getting back on track and then you procrastinated some more.

That'n not crazy or evil, that's just human nature.

You fix it by deciding that you are a priority, and by getting rid of the shame altogether, and by creating habits that prevent the backsliding.

I'm a terrible procrastinator. I've "only" lost 105 lbs in the last six years, and I've lost almost no weight at all this year. If I felt like this was a failure, I'd probably be regaining right now, but instead I decided that "not gaining" was going to be my first and foremost goal, and I was going to weigh myself every single morning no matter what, and I wasn't going to let the scale determine whether or not I felt good about myself.

Those for me were my non-negotiables, and I've not done any serious backsliding in all that time. I did gain weight during my visit to my family in September/October, but I didn't let it become more weight only because I didn't give up my non-negotiables. I had weighed myself daily at my mother's house, and I didn't intentionally eat everythhing in sight, but I still gained. The only reason I didn't keep gaining when I got home was because I didn't abandon my non-negotiables.

Decide what your non-negotiables are, and ditch the shame. If you ditch the shame, you never have to be embarassed about posting, about asking for help, about being less than perfect... Just keep up the good fight and know that everything counts.

Don't beat yourself up for mistakes, just endeavor to do the best you can, whenever you can. And most of all, do not be fooled into thinking that if you've gained one pound, you might as well make it two before "starting over."

That's an ingrained social belief that most of us don't even realize we have, but we act it out. When we know we've gained weight (or even that we've not lost as much as we think we should have) it can be tempting to think "what's the use, if I'm not going to succeed, I might as well not care how badly I fail. If I'm going to screw it up anyway, I might as well screw it up spectacularly).

I suck at this weight loss thing, but I refuse to be ashamed of that. I'm a terrific person who just happens to suck at weight loss, but instead of being ashamed of it, and deciding that if I suck at it, I shouldn't even bother trying - I've decided that I deserve to do the best that I can, and love myself for it. If I screw up, it isn't because I'm lazy, crazy, stupid, worthless or foolish - I'm just human. And just because I suck at something doesn't mean that I shouldn't do it, because anything worth doing is worth doing well if you can - however anything worth doing is worth doing poorly if that's all you can manage.

So do well when you can, and do as well as you can when you can't. If you can't put in 100%, then put in what you can, whether that's 99% or 2%.

Too often we decide that if we can't put in 100% we might as well exert no effort at all (or should beat ourselves up for our failure to put in 100%).

So that's my 2 cents.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-14-2012 at 01:00 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 394/381/199

Height: 5'5"

kaplods, that was beautiful.
this girl is awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome back! It's an ongoing process...I'm in maintenance and doing a reboot to lose some extra pounds I recently put on. My husband asked me "When will you be done with your reboot?" I said "That depends on the scale, I've enjoyed too many "fun" days recently." He sarcastically and truthfully said, "Days?, Are you sure it was just days?" I halfheartedly laughed and said "No it was definitely weeks!" (Birthday turned into Halloween turned into husband going away for a week...) All excuses to keep enjoying whatever!!! Oopps...

So, start over, we've all been there, and we're all with you right now!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #42  
Mom on a mission

S/C/G: 200/187/130

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back and know you are not alone.
I too fell hard off the IP wagon. Just about a year ago too. I joined started really well and then fell, fast and hard. I had some troubles and found comfort in Food, (really my enemy) but now I too am back. And determined to lose this baggage that is holding me back in oh so many ways.
write me anytime - and I too will be checking back daily for support and inspiration reading all your stories, recipes and so much more that this site offers.
Thank you!
desiree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #43  
ms.lisa

S/C/G: 256/158/140

Height: 5'1"

hello yowser,
i hear ya sista, i am currently up 18 from my goal. i have restated more times than i can count. this time has lasted the longest so i am thinking i am over the hump. i want this off by new years. summer was way to much fun. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. ((hugs))
lisa
matolmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 206.4/146.8/130

Height: 5'1"

It's so easy to beat ourselves up over "quitting". I know I've been there so MANY times I can't even count. Sometimes there's weeks, months or even years between dusting off and starting again but the important part is we decide we need to have healthier bodies and minds and "pick up" our journey again. All the stars need to be aligned for it to work out for us...for us to reach our goals.

I think my stars are aligned this time but if I discover they're not, then I will try again.

Thanks for starting this thread. It's helped me realize while reading all of your posts that we're all so alike and we're all so brave and strong. Kudos to us all!
Minch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 240/230/160

Height: 5'4

I have been travelling the last couple days and now have landed in the land of cold and snow - Alberta. I wasn't able to access the internet last night as I am out in the middle of nowhere and the connection is sometimes sketchy.
I have enjoyed reading all the great posts and all the support and take comfort that others have been down this road.

I have been following IP and although, I have just rejoined the ranks of IP'ers, I feel better that I am doing something good for myself and eating right. Does cold weather burn calories? Because it is very very cold up here.
yowzer is offline   Reply With Quote