Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #16  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Welcome back. Today is a new day. You are right about posting and checking in. It really helps you to be accountable. Have a great new day on IP.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #17  

Default I know just how you feel!

I'd been doing great and took "just a little time off" to celebrate my birthday and my best friend had flown in for the weekend. Which would have been fine but then I never got back on.

My mother was an alcoholic. I am starting to examine how I use food exactly the way she used alcohol. I would get so sad when she said she was just drinking "just this one day" but I knew it was the start of a binge b/c she could never do just one day.

I am taking a class "Made to Crave" which is a program to accompany whatever diet program you're on but addresses the spiritual / emotional causes of overeating. This diet works GREAT but it treats the symptoms. If the cause is never fixed the problem keeps coming back.

Thanks for your honesty - so many of us can relate!
marebear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm so glad you posted. You are helping me by coming back. I had company this weekend and want so bad to be off this diet some moments. Cheers to you for coming back!
rofl306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #19  

You can do this. All the motivation you could ask for. I know I'm nerves about Thanksgiving day but it's one day at a time. Yes you can, yes you can.
newlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 232/177/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowzer View Post
I really didn't want to write this post. But I need to. I am ashamed, as silly as it sounds. I had lost almost 40 lbs from mid-summer to September. I was just above 200 lbs, and I hadn't been below that for several years. I felt almost high on life. I was hiking and I was really feeling good about myself. I came back from a work trip in September and just stopped exercising and just started binging. And now I am up 30 lbs - only 10 lbs from where I originally started. I baffle me. But mostly I disappoint me.

But, I am back again. So I ask myself, what can I do differently? Where did I start sliding backwards? Looking back, my visits to the website started falling off and that's a red flag because this is where I come for support. So Ideal Proteiners I am asking for support as the tears are streaming down my face. I wll not quit. I might have gone backwards, but I am here today and ready to go forward.
I've mostly been a lurker, too. The support here has made all the difference for me, and I'm posting more now. I've tried many diets in the past, lost a bit and then gained it all back plus some because I couldn't sustain the effort. Something would happen, any of life's little or big stresses, and I'd abandon the program. In addition, it was very hard for me to stick with a balanced/complex carb diet like Weight Watchers. Kind of like telling a crack addict, "We want you to control your crack intake and have just a small portion 3 or 4 times a day, lol!" With IP, the formula has made all the difference for me. I've lost 44 lbs since 8/2/12. Not as fast as some, but lighting fast for me and much more easily than any other attempt I've made in the past.

What am I doing differently this time?
1. Plan, plan, plan.

I get my protein and veggies for the week on Sundays. I roast, steam, or stir fry them in large batches. I've tried many of the recipes listed on this forum. So many wonderfully creative people are willing to share their ideas and recipes. I package veggies in 2 cup portions to quickly grab and go. I puree and freeze some in single serving portions for my IP soups. I always prepare a protein (except for fish) for at least two meals, maybe three. My husband eats the same dinner that I prepare for myself (and has lost 15 lbs. without changing anything else - wouldn't you know.)

I know what I'm eating at least a couple of days in advance, including the restricted item. I eat a restricted every day in the evening with a hot tea. I look forward to it all day, and it helps me to end the day with something I really like.

If someone invites me out for a meal, I look at the restaurant menu ahead of time, and if they don't have IP-appropriate choices, I request a different restaurant.

2. I do some things to help me sustain the effort.

I pre-purchased quite a bit of IP foods and some alternatives so I have lots of choices on hand. I don't have to eat the same breakfast every morning. If I have to put it on a credit card, so be it.

I cleared out two shelves in my pantry cabinet that are just for my IP foods, alternatives, Walden Farms foods and supplements. I can see and reach everything easily. I took out all the baking supplies, crackers, potato chips, regular dressings, chocolate chips etc. and gave them to a friend. If my husband wants cookies, chips, etc, he know he has to have it during the day or when he's traveling on business. We don't keep any of those items in the house anymore.

If I'm really struggling, I'll have an extra packet -- usually a drink made into "ice cream" using Rainbow's shake-in-a-bag recipe. Or, if I can get away from work or the house for a bit, I'll go to Starbucks and have them steam a chocolate RTD and add a shot of espresso to it. I'll sit there, read for awhile and shut out all the things that are bugging me.

I started adding some of my protein allowance to lunch. It's made a huge difference in controlling hunger.

3. I promised myself that a slip would be one incident, not a whole day.

4. This is important. For my health and self-confidence and sanity. Period. I'm not going to let anything or anyone derail me from reaching my goal.

You can do this -- You've already restarted. It's a new day. No beating yourself up or worrying about the past. Make yourself a priority and put as many things in place that you need to so that following the plan is automatic.
petchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #21  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

I'll bet everyone on this site could have written that post at one time or another! I think the hardest part is taking the first step and starting - and you've done that, right? Besides, now when you're tempted to slip, you can remember this experience and you'll know it's not worth it.

As far as "where did I go wrong," I find myself most tempted to cheat when I'm feeling great . . . When I'm happy and active and confident; that's when I'm most likely to forget (or ignore) that I still have a ways to go. Seems counter-intuitive, but that's definitely the psychology for me.
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #22  

Saw this on someone else's signature:

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill

Together, we resolve to continue!
marebear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #23  

You all saw the post I wrote yesterday about not trusting myself, right? Been there, done that, outgrew the TShirt.
Welcome back!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #24  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

To steal a line from AA, take it one day at a time.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It's honestly been a fear of mine that I could do exactly the same thing. Good for you for picking up the pieces, regrouping, and getting back at it!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 169/140/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGirl3 View Post
I'll bet everyone on this site could have written that post at one time or another! I think the hardest part is taking the first step and starting - and you've done that, right? Besides, now when you're tempted to slip, you can remember this experience and you'll know it's not worth it.

As far as "where did I go wrong," I find myself most tempted to cheat when I'm feeling great . . . When I'm happy and active and confident; that's when I'm most likely to forget (or ignore) that I still have a ways to go. Seems counter-intuitive, but that's definitely the psychology for me.
SAME! SAME! SAME! I look in the mirror and really like what I see. That right there is the permission to eat what I want. I deserve it, right? I have been so good. We have to remember that this has to be our new way of life. Not being so restrictive but being wise in our food choices. If we do this while thinking that once we're done, we'll have this and that...we are putting ourselves up for failure. I know, I've been there not too long ago!!!

I am also a recovering binge eater. I am trying so hard to fix this! I am sure it is the same as being an alcoholic. The worse time is when I'm alone. Sometimes I fantasize all day about being alone and eating whatever I want. And I have a great feeling. Of course, the feeling isn't so good once the binge is over.
snolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 172/144/136

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear66 View Post
I'd been doing great and took "just a little time off" to celebrate my birthday and my best friend had flown in for the weekend. Which would have been fine but then I never got back on.

My mother was an alcoholic. I am starting to examine how I use food exactly the way she used alcohol. I would get so sad when she said she was just drinking "just this one day" but I knew it was the start of a binge b/c she could never do just one day.

I am taking a class "Made to Crave" which is a program to accompany whatever diet program you're on but addresses the spiritual / emotional causes of overeating. This diet works GREAT but it treats the symptoms. If the cause is never fixed the problem keeps coming back.

Thanks for your honesty - so many of us can relate!
Whatever it takes to make it, do it! I cheated for my anniversary, then "one more time" a week later. It's like throwing money down the drain when we do, so maybe if we think about eating $20 bills it will stop us from cheating!
laury411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #28  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey I'm with you -- I got off track -- again because I was feeling great, and looking great, and now 10 lbs later, I realize how FAST it will go back on if I'm not careful. SO no more "arena food" while I wait for hockey -- and I'm back with a 90% success day (one too many packets but I got up at 5:00a.m. and so it was a LONG day LOL) ... ah well, tomorrow will be 100%

We're here! And we get it
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #29  
IP Start Date 9/21/11

S/C/G: 214/212/140

Height: 5'3

I guess it's time to come out of the "lurker's" closet. I too have come back to IP after I gained it all back. I'm going to learn from my mistakes and keep working towards good health. Posting and reading this forum is a huge support system.

Love the thought of having friends on fitness pal to help keep us accountable. I would like to add some friends if anyone is interested. My user name is susgo4.
Susiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiego View Post
I guess it's time to come out of the "lurker's" closet. I too have come back to IP after I gained it all back. I'm going to learn from my mistakes and keep working towards good health. Posting and reading this forum is a huge support system.

Love the thought of having friends on fitness pal to help keep us accountable. I would like to add some friends if anyone is interested. My user name is susgo4.
I'm with ya girls- have gained back 20 and am so bummed but cannot seem to get back to perfect- start in on nuts or cheese regularly becAuse they are " low carb" but I want the feeling of pure phase 1 and the rapid weight loses and melting inches. Just having a **** of a time.

Last edited by Determinedat47; 11-12-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Determinedat47 is offline   Reply With Quote