Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #1  

Default handling the naysayers? ADVICE NEEDED!

Hi All, so people have really started to notice my weight loss.(I lost 7 lbs in September before starting IP on 10/1) Because of a crazy, crazy month I haven't gotten to WI a lot but today I have another WI and according to my scale it should put me past the 15lb weight loss for the month. I'm into the program BIG TIME and happy. So now I have all of these comments from people - "you re losing weight too quickly" :you'll never keep it off" you cant stay on this much longer" "u're hurting your body" Unfortunately (or as I see it, Fortunately) Im very Irish and just want to smack em!
I just say "oh well" and walk away or continue to eat. Ive started going to my office to eat becuz I don't want to hear all of the comments. just let me eat my healthy veggies in peace! I'm not forcing my lifestyle on you, don't force your cupcake on me!
Anyone with suggestions? I would appreciate it. I have a loooong way to go and I AM going to do this
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #2  

We had a great thread about this How do you deal with NOSY (sic) people

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-30-2012 at 07:45 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I really haven't had any people give me negative feedback like you have. They do constantly ask me personal questions about my weight, goal, plans after losing, and critique of my food. I basically give very vague answers and if they are persistent, I change the subject abruptly. That has quieted people down.
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

The hyperlink does not work
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 251.5/196.5/137.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
- "you re losing weight too quickly" :you'll never keep it off" you cant stay on this much longer" "u're hurting your body"
I feel you! On my side it's: "you know this won't last", "you'll hit a plateau soon", "you'll gain it all back".

Geez, thanks friends for all your support!

I've stopped responding... Been answering: we'll see.

Hang in there!
vvei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAPRN View Post
The hyperlink does not work
Just tried to fix. Won't work on ipad this morning for some reason. Give me a minute to fire up computer

Edit #2: Fixed! LOL @ EPAPRN: You are the one who started the other thread! You didn't know where it was?

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-30-2012 at 07:47 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

Can't really help you on what you should say, sometimes I feel confrontational and say "how do you know that have you tried the diet?" usually people back down. The negative comments suck, I have had nothing but motivation from my co-workers, but my father on the other hand said to me, " your looking good but don't throw away your big cloths cause you know you will just gain it all back." Thanks Dad. We are also irish so the smacking was a close option. lol
We are here for your support when you need it as sometimes you just can't change others
MonicaKolesnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/135

Height: 5'1

"it is medically supervised, I needed to lose weight" usually gets them to shut up
or if you're feeling snarky "and being overweight was good/healthy for my body?!?!"
le506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I'm lucky that there are a number of people at my hospital who have done the program, and kept the weight off for over a year. When someone has said "oh you'll gain it all back", I say 'really? Did Person A, B and C gain it back? They did the same program I'm on two years ago.". That usually shuts them up

But truly, for the most part people have been more curious than anything. They ask specifics about the diet, how I feel, etc.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #10  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

I'm not Irish, but I feel the need to smack some people on occasion as well! I tell people that question the program that my doc is very happy that I'm doing this program, & it is medically supervised. Have not had anyone say that I'll just gain it back, but if they did I think I would respond "Only time will tell."

My mom was horrified that I'm getting rid of all the too-big clothes, "just in case." I said if I leave myself a safety-net I won't work as hard to keep it off. (Weird, at times Mom seems to be one of my biggest supporters, then at others not so much. Just don't know what to expect from her anymore.)

Honestly, I think for the people that continually critisize the program, I'd just tell them flat out..."thank you for your concern, but it's really none of your business, and until you have something positive to say I don't want to talk to you about this anymore."
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #11  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
Hi All, so people have really started to notice my weight loss.(I lost 7 lbs in September before starting IP on 10/1) Because of a crazy, crazy month I haven't gotten to WI a lot but today I have another WI and according to my scale it should put me past the 15lb weight loss for the month. I'm into the program BIG TIME and happy. So now I have all of these comments from people - "you re losing weight too quickly" :you'll never keep it off" you cant stay on this much longer" "u're hurting your body" Unfortunately (or as I see it, Fortunately) Im very Irish and just want to smack em!
I just say "oh well" and walk away or continue to eat. Ive started going to my office to eat becuz I don't want to hear all of the comments. just let me eat my healthy veggies in peace! I'm not forcing my lifestyle on you, don't force your cupcake on me!
Anyone with suggestions? I would appreciate it. I have a loooong way to go and I AM going to do this
I would say it's like anything. Take your advice from experts. I used to golf and it really irritated me that everyone thought they were a golf pro/coach and wanted to share tips, usually as I was trying to focus on what I was about to do. If they are not an expert you could just smile and drive on. That's worked for me. I just had someone very close to me tell me I was going to gain it all back. That really pissed me off and motivated me. I am never letting myself get that big again.

Last edited by usmcvet; 10-30-2012 at 12:39 PM.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #12  
started IP 10/22/12

S/C/G: 185/143/120

Height: 5'4"

Oh yes. I want to smak a few people too. My whole world is full of naysayrs. I lost 5 lbs in my first week and was so excited I told my SIL. She had nothing nice to say. So I hung up on her.

Can't wait to see the look on her face when I see her New Years Eve. I have no idea how much I'll lose, but I know I am going in the right direction.
alittlelessme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 394/381/199

Height: 5'5"

For the few comments I've had about it not being healthy, I say nothing could be as unhealthy as me weighing 375 pounds, and that shuts it down...
this girl is awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #14  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

I ask them the SAME exact question they ask me & it shuts them up everytime. A trick I got from Ann Landers years ago. I have been so " Pro Active " with my plan they know to BACK OFF. You really have to protect yourself & your emotions for the day . If they see me eating something I "shouldn't" they know not to say anything. I can be a VERY kind person but STAY OUT OF MY PLATE !
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #15  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

this is precisely why i did NOT tell anyone until recently!! i never posted on fb,. never told my friends, only my 3fc friends knew.

i continued to wear my same clothes and no one really noticed....until i hit 75 pounds and then my kids noticed but i just shrugged it off saying it was the clothes that made me look slimmer!! haha

then last week i hit 96 pounds gone and finally posted on fb...and people can't argue with success.

early in week 2 i was at my moms...and she scoffed at me when i made kale chips at her house and said oh lord what are you doing now....but she hasn't seen me since then, so when i see her at christmas it will be interesting to see what she says 85 pounds later!! (or maybe more)

scoffers will do just that, scoff...whatever the reason, jealousy, or because you are succeeding and they aren't, or because seeing you get healthy reminds them they need to get healthy...whatever the reason...there will always be naysayers...

just do what you know to do and let them scoff. when i slip on new clothes that fit...i get the last laugh and think, oooh scoffers....scoff away!!! you won't hinder me....i will do what i know i need to do for me!!

i might have to get snarky....and IF someone says things like that to me...i will say, Oh really...and you know this how??? i really like what greeniris said though!! "thank you for your concern, but it's really none of your business, and until you have something positive to say I don't want to talk to you about this anymore." i think i will use that one!! much nicer than saying f off!!
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote