Old 10-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Default How do you deal with NOSY people?

I tried to keep the diet a secret but I work in an office and in a hospital setting and am constantly around people. So they see what I eat. They have noticed the weight loss and now everyone wants to know what I am doing, how does it work? How much weight to I want to lose? Is t that too much? What does your husband think of your smaller boobs?

Every morsel of food that I put in my mouth at work is scrutinized. Why are you eating that? How do you cook it?

A girl in my office has now decided to do her own IP protocol using alternatives and is now constantly asking me for instructions on how to do it I refuse to give advice because I do not want to be responsible if something detrimental happens. I gave her this website to browse around.

I realize that people are just curious. So, how do you deal with nosy people?
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My first rule is never tell anybody you are on a diet. This will keep the diet police off your back.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I tell people ideal protein and to read about it online. If they ask questions, I answer. I recommend my coach. Generally I say it's a low carb, sugar free diet.

If they argue with me about ip being bad I just say everyone is different.

I know others who say they are on a medically supervised diet. That's a good answer too.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
My first rule is never tell anybody you are on a diet. This will keep the diet police off your back.
I agree with your statement! I have also notice; when l told my hubby I was dieting . He try's to control every step I take. I can't even eat around the man. I stop telling him when I go to the gym. I only go to the gym when he is sleep now. He gives me support but he is way to heavy on it!

I agree again, don't tell anyone you are on a diet!
Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I tried that route but because the nature of this diet with shakers and foil packets etc., they see what I am eating and observe that I am not eating what I used to eat. It is very hard to keep anything a secret on a nursing floor. I spend more time with them than with my husband!
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #6  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

I have a similar problem (lots of people in close proximity to my office who can see me coming and going with astronaut ice cream looking food items)--so my approach was to embrace the questions! I would not have found out about IP if someone had not told me about it, so I decided to be up front and roll with it.

I get, however, that lots of questions can be annoying after a while.
benice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/175

Height: 5' 5

My answer, because it is true for me, is that I am NOT on a diet - that I have made a lifestyle change!
Lorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/220/155

I was one of those people that asked someone who had lost 120 lbs on IP. When she told me about it she had mentioned this website. I looked it up and now I'm hooked. I do the same thing when people ask. I give them this website and then redirect them to something else.
Melwars17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 338.6/218/210

Height: 5'11"

Sadly enough I'm one of those who tell them "DW put me on a diet ask her"

Last edited by hyrysk; 10-17-2012 at 05:51 PM.
hyrysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #10  
Releasing the inner hiker

Pardon my intrusion, as I am not an IP follower, but I have lost a significant amount of weight within the last year. I no longer get asked "how I am doing it" or "what I am eating" because I never address people's questions. When someone asks me a question I am not comfortable answering, I respond, "Thank you for noticing" and redirect the conversation elsewhere. If they continue asking questions, I state that I am not comfortable talking about my weight.

I've only had to state the "not comfortable" phrase with one or two people. Most understand my reluctance to answer their questions when I thank them for noticing and change the subject.

Just a thought...
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #11  

I tell people who ask what life style changes that I ahve made complete with IP and direct them to the site. When they ask is it healthy I respond "here's my doctor's number why don't you call her and make an appointment since she is the one who recommended that i go on it?" You would love the program and the way it makes you feel.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #12  
SMB

S/C/G: 205/189/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
I tell people ideal protein and to read about it online. If they ask questions, I answer.
I do the same! I heard about it through asking questions, and I hope someone can be inspired by my weight loss as well! The questions eventually slowed down at work once everyone finished feasting on me!
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #13  
Started IP 4/23/12

S/C/G: 232/129/132

Height: 5'3"

Random people asking me how much I've lost bothers me. I don't mind telling people close to me but I don't like telling everyone. So I just say "quite a bit" and change the subject.
Beck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #14  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

When people start noticing you are losing, you can get barraged by questions..How are you doing it? I generally said I was eating low carb, no sugar. Most people don't listen to you and tell you about their own weight problems. For the ones that really want to know I direct them to this Site or IP.
One year later, people are not being so nosy and are used to seeing my salads at work. It will get better.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #15  
~Tara~

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5' 2"

I am very happy that the person I questioned about his weight loss was willing to share with me, otherwise I would still be at least 258 lbs and wondering how I was ever going to find at way out. His response was "It's called Ideal Protein, it's a low carb approach, it's hard to explain so you should look it up and read about it." And that's what brought me here.

I know it's annoying when people ask intrusive questions. So many people struggle with weight issues, it's only natural that when they notice someone else acheiving success that they are going to be curious. When people ask me how much I want to lose, or how much I have lost, I give vague answers- "I've lost a bit, I still have a ways to go, etc"- that usually shuts things down.
GoalFor40 is offline   Reply With Quote