Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #91  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
well i am sitting here just filled with love for you for staying so strong around all that popcorn!!! your posts are always so inspiring...you always talk of conquering every day!!! thank you for setting the bar so high!!!!

i have been researching the Excalibur too....trying to get my "sugar daddy" to let go of some cash!!! Did you get the black one or white one?? which model??

i saw something posted on another thread that really made me re-think some...they said..

Can't believe all the good stuff we get to eat!!

i LOVE that mentality....and thats how i feel eating oven baked "veggie chips"!!!!

have a great day!!!
Well thank you! you are so sweet. I heart you gf!

We ordered the white one, http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=4152 If you sign up for Gardens Alive newsletter they say you get $25 off coupon, but they don't mention you get a $100 off a $200 order coupon as well (must use within a week of signing up). We got a tip from another forum on that. So they only have it in white, but it's the color and model we wanted anyway and we got it for $169. I'll have to order some of the roll up non-stick sheets too.

The jicama is totally awesome. I opened that warm dehydrator filled with apples and jicama, and it smelled so good! I was able to try the jicama and it tasted just like apples. Good thing they don't look like them too or I'd have thought I tasted the wrong thing!

I'm trying to talk hubby into taking me to the fair to see the cute chicks (aka chickens in the poultry barn) and see what other people are doing with food preservation, and the knitting and wool spinning displays. I need to get inspired to do some of my hobbies again. I have three spinning wheels laying around that I should be using and pounds of wool and other fibers all washed and stored away.

Last edited by Halfagain; 08-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #92  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Halfagain - I would LOVE to learn how to spin! The whole process intrigues me. But that is one hobby that will have to wait until we have a bigger house - simply no room now
Old 08-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #93  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndie View Post
I bought a mandolin to make even slices for the zucchini chips. Don't make the same mistake I did. That neat little safety pusher that comes with it? Use it! I didn't and I almost sliced off the end of my thumb. Obviously, I should have known better, and I certainly won't do that again. LOL.
Close call; glad the thumb survived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
yeowchies! you just gave me the chills. Take care!

I used my mandolin today to slice up jicama root. It has a julienne setting for small size fries, so I used that. We'll see how they do, but I put Cinnamon and some stevia in the bag with them and shook it up before putting in the dehydrator. Since I only used two racks, I filled the rest with apples for hubby and son. Got to use my apple peeler/slicer dohicky machine which was fun.

We ordered our Excaliber dehydrator. We've been using my mom's so far and it works nice but doesn't get quite as high temp for jerky making, plus we have a farm we will be moving onto in a few years with lots of fruit trees planted but not yet producting due to tree maturity and deer liking fruit and us not being there yet. Hubby has done a lot of research on it - so that's what we're getting. 9 racks, fan in the back, yada yada. It's a spendy dehydrator, but should last the rest of our lifetimes. Ought to be here by end of next week - and I can dry the rest of those apples.

Hmmm dealing with sweet apples, today - and I made hubby air pop popcorn with a lot of butter on top. The thought of a taste crossed my mind but not seriously before it was shoved out of the way. Today was good.

Oh, and.. I went to Super Supplements store today and got some Syntrax - Nectar in Fuzzy Navel flavor. I'll get to try it out tomorrow. Got come coconut oil and some hand/body lotion too. Funny how some days really are a challenge/hungry (head hunger or real hunger) and others are just no problem.
Just wanted to say your weight loss numbers are impressive; you are doing such a great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I'm lurking here til my birthday in March. IP will make me Fabulous at 50!
Enjoy your last few months of the 40's and IP will indeed make you fabulous at 50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
Sometimes I hate our internet connection! I just tried to post something and got kicked off when I clicked on "post quick reply"! Unfortunately, there aren't any good options to switch to up here in the 'boonies'.

What I was saying is: Used the dehydrator to make zucchini chips Friday night and they are so good! Then my VIP sliced up a couple of tomatoes from the garden, added basil & garlic powder and dried them...OMG! AWESOME!!! We will certainly be using this machine a lot more now. Lizzy, we have the same machine you do I believe. Does your Meijer store carry the extra shelves? Ours doesn't. I'll see if they can order them for me.
Alright that's it, I'm buying a dehydrator. I'm convinced!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #94  
6/26/12 start 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
Halfagain - I would LOVE to learn how to spin! The whole process intrigues me. But that is one hobby that will have to wait until we have a bigger house - simply no room now
LOL careful, I'm an enabler... they have drop spindles that fit in a shoe box. I have pulled many a person into the "spinning vortex"
Old 08-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 168/150/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post
Sierra. You are at the same place I was when I started in May. Now I am almost to goal. I had some slow and no loss weeks. But I average about 2 pounds a week.

Stay OP and it will come off.

Be patient
Don't cheat.
This works..it's about the only thing that does for me.
It's hard sometimes, but you can do hard things
thanks for the pep talk - is really does help
Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #96  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndie View Post
I bought a mandolin to make even slices for the zucchini chips. Don't make the same mistake I did. That neat little safety pusher that comes with it? Use it! I didn't and I almost sliced off the end of my thumb. Obviously, I should have known better, and I certainly won't do that again. LOL.
I got my mandolin out with some trepidation as I did something similiar a few years ago - sliced the top (and part of the nail) off my little finger. For some reason there was a time there ( I was on Dr. Bernstein's diet at that time, and cooking 'from scratch' more again) when I couldn't pick up a butcher knife without accidentally cutting myself. Let alone the mandolin. After the little finger mishap I put my mandolin away, and didn't unearth it until I wanted to make the zucchini chips. But I was very careful yesterday when slicing them, and definitely will always use the safety pusher once the veg is down to a certain point.

Hi everyone! Hope you are all having a great OP Sunday.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #97  
6/26/12 start 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Just wanted to say your weight loss numbers are impressive; you are doing such a great job!

Alright that's it, I'm buying a dehydrator. I'm convinced!
Well thanks! I'm going to add my start and current photo to my signature soon. I just have to figure it out. I love this group and especially our Fab 50+ group
Happy dehydrator shopping!

Barb
Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #98  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
Well thanks! I'm going to add my start and current photo to my signature soon. I just have to figure it out. I love this group and especially our Fab 50+ group
Happy dehydrator shopping!

Barb
awwww LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT SMILE!!! looking FABULOUS darling!!!
simply FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep up the GREAT effort!!! its looks so good on you!!

HAPPY DANCE!!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 200/160/145

Height: 5'7"

Ok.......what's the skinny on the dehydrators? I know what it does, but isn't the point of doing the zucchini chips in the oven to brown and crisp them? What would the dehydrator do? I spent the afternoon researching them. I have free 2 day shipping with Amazon so I might be in big trouble here gals! My girly girl grands would love the fruit rollups and the thought of dried peaches, plums, tomatoes, etc. might just make my right pointer finger push the " buy now with 1 click" button. Yikes!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #100  

Default Ice cream maker question

Hi everyone. I love this thread!! I love making ice cream out of my chocolate drink mix. I do it the way with ice rock salt and LOTS of shaking. I did buy the Hamilton beach small ice cream maker. However I could never get it to freeze into ice cream. I would get a thin film of ice cream on the container but that's it. I tried it several times w same results. Anyone else had the same problem??
Old 08-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #101  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilian61 View Post
Hi everyone. I love this thread!! I love making ice cream out of my chocolate drink mix. I do it the way with ice rock salt and LOTS of shaking. I did buy the Hamilton beach small ice cream maker. However I could never get it to freeze into ice cream. I would get a thin film of ice cream on the container but that's it. I tried it several times w same results. Anyone else had the same problem??
My 1/2 pint Hamilton Beach ice cream maker produces something that is the consistency of slightly melted soft ice cream. It does make a thin frozen layer on the inside of the bowl, but I've found I can easily scoop that layer off if I wait 10 minutes or so after finishing the rest. I've been using a recipe that uses 1/2 light coconut milk and 1/2 unsweetened almond milk, plus a scoop of my protein powder and a mixture of flavorings. I'm using alternative products and I'm treating this like an alternative restricted product and having it just occasionally. Nutrition stats are: Calories 180 Fat 8g Cholesterol 54mg Sodium 101mg Potassium 215mg Carbohydrate 5g Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 2.4g Protein 17g
Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #102  
Just Do It, Mom!

S/C/G: Restart 2/19/15. See Ticker

Height: 5.5

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've been on the 3FC IP site, and awhile since I have been on the IP program itself, sorry to say I started IP in March 2012 at 213 lbs and got down to 186 by May 2012.......then I just lost it! Was on vacation, didn't stick to the plan, and just couldn't seem to get back on it. I'm back up to 192 - quite depressing. But I am ready to give IP another try and I found this new "over 50" thread and thought "maybe this will be the best place to get the support I need" (I'm 58) - so am back and hoping I can stick with it now. I almost feel like a newbie again because I forget some of the basic tenets of the program, so may need some help with that as well. Hope you guys understand and can welcome back a "prodigal daughter" Luckily I still have some of my leftover IP products, and tomorrow I will tuck my tail between my legs and call my coach for an appointment to start over. Meanwhile, I plan to be 100% OP as of right NOW and I am feeling excited about it!!!

Last edited by 3sisters; 08-26-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #103  
6/26/12 start 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
awwww LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT SMILE!!! looking FABULOUS darling!!!
simply FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep up the GREAT effort!!! its looks so good on you!!

HAPPY DANCE!!!!
Haha! Thank you! I feel FABULOUS - or at least a lot better than I did 2 months ago. I'm trying hard to keep the shirts/pants on the more fitted side and not wear the 4x cloths anymore. I found before that letting my cloths get baggy gets me more relaxed on my mission. Maybe that's why all great spy movies have them wearing spandex - for a better outcome of the mission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodmomma View Post
Ok.......what's the skinny on the dehydrators? I know what it does, but isn't the point of doing the zucchini chips in the oven to brown and crisp them? What would the dehydrator do? I spent the afternoon researching them. I have free 2 day shipping with Amazon so I might be in big trouble here gals! My girly girl grands would love the fruit rollups and the thought of dried peaches, plums, tomatoes, etc. might just make my right pointer finger push the " buy now with 1 click" button. Yikes!
you know I've asked myself this too. I'm new to dehydration techniques and uses. You can dry out stuff in the oven, but a lot of times it's a bit higher temperature than a dehydrator and you can burn things easier that way. There's also dried vrs dehydrated things (I didn't think/realize this until recently). Like dried grapes are raisins for example, but you can dehydrate raisins (turn them really small and hard) for long term storage. It condenses the sugars in them too so they taste sweeter. Looking at the dehydrator sites a lot of their focus is food storage and preservation. However when I started looking at this option I was looking to make foods crunchy (something I'm really missing with the low carb thing). Although by taking out the water, the serving size is much smaller too - which I haven't minded.

The dried apples are a big hit with hubby and son using my mom's machine. I'm sure fruit roll ups will be a success as well, but I'll wait till the new machine arrives for that. The old machine we are borrowing is very saggy and more like baskets than trays.

My husband is thinking jerky is "all that" and because we will be gardening in the somewhat near future, it all tied in for us to go with a bigger dehydrator. We already raise our own beef. Anyway I've got a dehydrator coming next week with a 200 some page book with recipes.. maybe I'll know a bit more after I get to reading thru that. I sure hope so anyway.

The machine we ordered, my husband points out, can dry boots! LOL or wedding bouquets, or raise bread, etc. The shelves come out and it still has a door in the front to hold in the heat. We'll see about those boots though.....

Last edited by Halfagain; 08-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 200/160/145

Height: 5'7"

Thanks halfagain ! Trying to figure out if this is something I need. Keep me posted. I'm researching. I tend to do that but I'm getting closer to pushin' that buy button!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 194.4/188.3/134

Height: 5'1"

I am going on craigslist to see if I can find a dehydrator! I need zuchinni chips!
so i have not been on the boards all weekend, working tons! But....
today I had a good day! I ralked 10 miles and was able to meet my goal of a sub 13 minute pace. I know I have to be careful because of the low calorie intake. I was sure to pay attention so as to not hurt myself. I ate 1/2 a bar with coffee before I started and then the other half when I was half way. I use a camel pak too, so I had alot of water too.
Anyway, I was thrilled that it went so well.
I have a marathon October 7 so gotta do what I gotta do.
Looking forward to another good week OP!
Off to hunt for a dehydrator!
Question: has anyone tried their food processor attachments for the slicing? Will that make the slices thin enough?
Thanks!
Closed Thread