1 head Iceburg Lettuce
2 Lemons - Juice & Zest
2 tbsp Sweetener (to taste)
1 tsp Fresh Basil
1 cup water
Optional: Egg White
Optional: 1 tsp Knox Unflavored Gelatin

1. Chop/Chiffonade the Basil.
2. On the stovetop, cook together Water, Basil, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, Sweetener, and optional Gelatin until completely dissolved, just before reaching a boiling point. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Rinse and rough chop the Lettuce.
4. Put the Basil Syrup into a blender or food processor with the Lettuce and puree until smooth. Add optional Egg White. Blend once more to mix.
5. Pour in an ice cream maker or freeze in a tray and puree when solid.

*The optional gelatin and egg white turn it from a 'sorbet' into a creamier 'sherbert'
*Lettuce is "free" - so enjoy this one at will!

Last edited by LizRR; 08-31-2012 at 11:16 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #92  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

NSV I measured my veggies today for my puree and so now I have a better understanding of how much it makes and how much "a cup" looks like in my various plastic containers. I also ended up cleaning out a 'clutter drawer' with too many containers. Into the freezer they go!

BTW 16 cups of veggies (loosely chopped, not crammed) made 14 cups of puree when the water is added). I thought they would puree down to half -- which they would if it was just the veg I'm sure-- but using the soup broth water added the extra volume. Can't wait to add these purees to my Broc/cheese soup mixes. Mmmmm..... I find the soups too salty so adding the extra puree makes them just delish!
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #93  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
NSV I measured my veggies today for my puree and so now I have a better understanding of how much it makes and how much "a cup" looks like in my various plastic containers. I also ended up cleaning out a 'clutter drawer' with too many containers. Into the freezer they go!

BTW 16 cups of veggies (loosely chopped, not crammed) made 14 cups of puree when the water is added). I thought they would puree down to half -- which they would if it was just the veg I'm sure-- but using the soup broth water added the extra volume. Can't wait to add these purees to my Broc/cheese soup mixes. Mmmmm..... I find the soups too salty so adding the extra puree makes them just delish!
In Phase 1 I actually LOVED the soups, but only when I added in pureed veggies! I am just not a 'whole veggie' person - I guess it's just that creamy texture that I like more than anything. Roasted cauliflower florets in my soup = okay, I'll eat it. Roasted cauliflower puree in my soup = died and gone to heaven! I was seriously not a veggie person before IP - I think because I just don't like them raw, some folks though love the crunch & texture, everyone is different. I have found though that I LOVE them all roasted & most pureed - and ice creamed too!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #94  

Default Ice Cream vs. Sorbet vs. Sherbet vs. Granita

A quick tutorial on my favorite subject.

Granitas, Sorbets, & Sherbets are great ways to get in your pureed veggies - note that if you make a Sherbet you are adding in a few '0/0/0' extras of Egg Whites & Gelatin.

Ice Cream is a good way to get in your IP packet in the creamiest way possible. You can also add in veggies to make this a full IP meal and also add in Egg White & Gelatin additions to assist with the creamy texture.

Granita - Syrup base plus pureed base. No creaminess, similar texture to shaved ice. Can be made without an ice cream machine.

A basic Granita can be made with a syrup base made from 1 cup Water, Lemon or Lime juice, Sweetener, and any infusions you prefer (Basil, Mint, Vanilla, Lemon/Lime Zest etc). The pureed base can be Cucumber, Lettuce, Zucchini, Rhubarb, etc.

The basic way to make a Granita is to freeze it on shallow baking pans and scrape off the ice crystals with a fork for the classic 'Shaved Ice' texture.

Sorbet - Similar to granita, but whipped, which breaks up the ice crystals and makes the texture lighter than granita, made in an ice cream machine.

Sorbet is made the same as a basic Granita- a syrup base made from 1 cup Water, Lemon or Lime juice, Sweetener, and any preferred infusions (Basil, Mint, Vanilla, Lemon/Lime Zest etc). The same pureed base can be Cucumber, Lettuce, Zucchini, Rhubarb, etc.

The difference is that a Sorbet is 'whipped together', breaking up the ice crystals. You can make it without an ice cream machine by putting the mixture in the freezer & breaking up/vigorously mixing your sorbet every 30-45 minutes.

Sherbet - Similar to Sorbet, with a small amount of creamy additions to a syrup base, made in an ice cream machine.

Sherbet is made by adding additions to the Sorbet/Granita base, typically 1-2 Egg Whites and 1-2 tsp Gelatin to the syrup base made from 1 cup Water, Lemon or Lime juice, Sweetener, and any preferred infusions (Basil, Mint, Vanilla, Lemon/Lime Zest etc). The same pureed base can be Cucumber, Lettuce, Rhubarb, etc.

The additions add a 'creaminess' and remove the texture one more layer away from 'ice crystal'. Gelatin absorbs some of the free water in the ice cream mix and helps prevent the formation of large crystals. Eggs & Egg Whites are typical additions in traditional ice cream for the custard base.

Like a Sorbet, Sherbet is 'whipped together', breaking up the ice crystals. You can also make it without an ice cream machine by putting the mixture in the freezer & breaking up/vigorously mixing every 30-45 minutes.

Ice Cream - Instead of syrup base, 'creamy' base, made in an ice cream machine.

For IP - the 'creamy' base will be a Pudding, Drink Mix, or RTD, prepared with the appropriate amount of water that you would usually make it with. Additions of Egg Whites and Gelatin can also be made to help make the consistency creamier (see notes above for Sherbet). Also a pureed base can be added to round out "your meal" (Cucumber, Zucchini, Lettuce, Rhubarb, etc).

Notes:
*I have found pureed Cucumber to be an excellent base for 'Sherbet'/'Ice Cream'. I think the flesh just purees up to assist with a 'creamy' base. I would imagine Zucchini would be the same.
*I used Iceberg Lettuce and it came out good, seemed to be a better 'Granita'/'Sorbet' base - I am guessing since it liquefies down more in the blender this is why (no 'flesh' like with Cucumber or Zucchini). I imagine any of the leafy greens would be similar (Spinach, etc).
*Highly recommend the fresh Lemon/Lime juice! And making the syrup with the zest really kicks up the flavor!

Last edited by LizRR; 08-27-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #95  

Default Strawberry/Rhubarb Ice Cream

Ingredients:
Rhubarb Jam <--Note: the Jam recipe already has optional Gelatin
EAS Strawberry RTD
Optional: 1-2 Egg Whites

Directions:
1. Make Rhubarb Jam: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4431623-post29.html
2. Add Rhubarb Jam, EAS Strawberry RTD, and optional Egg Whites to Ice Cream Machine for 45 minutes.
3. Eat.

Last edited by LizRR; 08-27-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 315/266/175

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks for the information on the different types of dessert. I would never in a million years thought about trying lettuce in a dessert! I dont have an ice cream maker so if I try these I will have to "vigorously mix" every 30 - 45 mins very creative ideas, keep them coming!
Raidensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #97  

Default Margarita Pudding

1 Cucumber
2 Limes, juice & zest
+2 Eggs + 2 Egg Whites
1/2 packet Unflavored Gelatin
2-4 tbsp Sweetener (to taste)

1. In blender, add Lime Juice & Egg Whites only, sprinkle in Gelatin and allow it to dissolve in liquid ~1 minute.
2 Meanwhile, cut Cucumbers in half lengthwise, deseed with a spoon, rough chop and place in blender along with Zest, Eggs, and Sweetener.
3. Blend together until smooth, adjust taste accordingly.
4. Bake at 350 degrees ~30 minutes, until custart 'sets'.
4. Allow to cool and let it set in the fridge ~1 hour-overnight.

*This counts as your 8 oz protein + 2 cups veggies
*This is a play on my favorite sherbet recipe: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4433631-post52.html
+The new Phase 1 Sheet dated 6/12/2012 now lists 4 Eggs + 2 Egg Whites as an appropriate 8oz protein replacement, so adjust accordingly: http://www.idealtogo.com/Library/Fase%201%20-%20ITG.pdf

Last edited by LizRR; 09-10-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 187.6/177/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Which soup broth to use?

LizzRR - you rock. I'm vegetarian and i'm sick to the gills of veggies. This is a whole new way to incorporate them. Thanks!!

I had a question - which brand/where do you get your chicken/soup broth from?
r101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #99  

Quote:
Originally Posted by r101 View Post
LizzRR - you rock. I'm vegetarian and i'm sick to the gills of veggies. This is a whole new way to incorporate them. Thanks!!

I had a question - which brand/where do you get your chicken/soup broth from?
It's the Free-Range Organic store brand from H-E-B Central Market, a Texas grocerer. Whole Foods may have a similar type. The Chicken Broth has 1 cup = 5 calories/1 g protein/0g carb/0g fat. Their veggie broth had ~5 calories from 1g carb, and their beef broth had ~10 calories from 1g fat.

Last edited by LizRR; 08-30-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 299.8/282.3/160

Height: 5'8"

Liz, thank you for sharing all of these!!!!! I'm just starting IP and 10 years ago I had gastric bypass surgery. Because of that, my coach recommended pureeing alot of my veggies. These are going to come in SO handy for me because I am SO not creative in the kitchen!! I can't wait to try them.
AngieBaby41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 192/148/150

Height: 5 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
1 bag frozen Rhubarb ~4c chopped (or fresh when in season)
2 tbsp WF Strawberry Spread
1 envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatin
1 cup Water

1. Place frozen Rhubarb in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
2. Stir with fork, add 2 tbsp WF Strawberry Spread, Knox Gelatin, 1 cup water.
3. Microwave an additional 2 minutes, mash with fork/blend with immersion/puree in blender/etc until desired consistency. Add additional WF Strawberry Spread if desired.
4. Let set in the fridge.

*I always have a bowl of this in the fridge for 'sweet tooth emergencies' - it is a PERFECT fruit fix!
*The gelatin gives it a 'jelly' texture and a collagen boost as well - great for the skin!
*One envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatin adds ~24 calories from 6g protein
*This can be added to puddings, smoothies, IP ice cream, Crispy Cereal Pancakes, Waffles - anywhere where a fruit addition would be appropriate
Bump
MyTime50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 160.2/138/140

Height: 5'6"

I made 2 of Liz's purees on the weekend the Roasted Cauliflower, Celery, & Garlic Puree and the Roasted Broccoli & Garlic Puree. They are absolutely delicious and super easy to make!! Thanks for sharing!
missymoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 192/148/150

Height: 5 3"

Bump
MyTime50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #104  

Default Mint Ice Cream

Ingredients:
IP Vanilla RTD (or Vanilla Pudding or Drink Mix prepared with 8oz water)
Spinach
1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
2 tbsp Sweetener
Optional: 1/2 packet Knox Unflavored Gelatin <--adds ~12 calories, all from ~3g protein (collagen)
Optional: 2 Egg Whites <--adds ~32 calories, all from ~8g protein

Directions:
1. In blender, add Egg Whites and Vanilla RTD (or prepared pudding or drink mix) - sprinkle in Gelatin and allow to dissolve ~1 minute
2. Add Spinach, Peppermint, and Sweetener. Blend until the Spinach is fully pulverized. The color should be bright green and fresh! Taste and adjust accordingly.
3. Add mixture to your ice cream machine until desired consistency is reached.

*You can chop up and add some Chocolate Soy Puffs for Mint-Chocolate "Chip" Ice Cream
*Most coaches allow 2 Egg Whites/day "free", as all the calories come from protein and the Gelatin is another "0-calorie/0-fat/0-sugar" all-protein extra, the collagen is good for the skin!

Last edited by LizRR; 09-10-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #105  

Default Rutabaga Milkshake

Ingredients:
Rutabaga
IP Vanilla RTD (or Vanilla Pudding or Drink Mix prepared with 8oz water)
2 tbsp WF Pancake Syrup (Sweetener to taste)
1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Ice Cubes
Optional: 1/2 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk <--adds 15 calories, 1g fat/.5g carb/.5g protein

Directions:
1. Pierce ~4-5 vent holes in Rutabaga with fork and wrap in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 375 degrees ~1.5-2 hours. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly and peel.
2. In blender - add cooked, peeled Rutabaga, Vanilla RTD (or prepared pudding or drink mix), Sweetener, Spices,
Vanilla, Ice, and optional Almond Milk (or water) and blend until thoroughly pulverized.

*I came up with this recipe when I used my 'Sweet Fauxtato Pie' leftovers to make a milkshake using an EAS Vanilla RTD + 1/2cup Unsweetened Almond Milk blended with Ice and it was DELICIOUS!
*I am in Phase 4 now, hence the addition of the optional extra of Almond Milk.

Last edited by LizRR; 09-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.