Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
I honestly tried WW ( 3months) and NutriSystem (3 months), so a half a year and I exercised and only lost 3 pounds. At least on IP I am losing, granted not like others, but I am losing. Some people just don't have "super" metabolisms. My doctor said it is great if you get stranded on a desert island, you can survive longer than others. That really didn't cheer me up, but it was his attempt at humor. I think there are metobolic tests that can be run, ie breathing into a machine for a certain number of minutes,but I can't spend the money on that stuff.
At first I think my coach thought I was cheating, as she would say " the only people I have losing this slowly are cheating" she now knows I am not cheating (looking at my journal) and has concluded that I am just a SLOW loser. Hang in there, you are losing. I am going to switch to alternatives, because the cost is getting up there being a slower loser. It will take us longer to reach our goal. Keep on going
Bella, you are right, the culprit for low losses (which I've had at times) MIGHT be a low BMR. As you said, the only way to find out what your BMR is by doing some testing (I'm getting mine done when I hit the 130's, along with body fat). But if you think that this might be the problem, then the best way to raise it is by exercising, and even more so if you do some strength training. If you guys aren't doing any type of exercise.. it might be worth giving it a shot?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAboutTime View Post
I feel like I could shout this from the rooftops but I only sent a text to my hubby because nobody else would really care anyway.....except my friends here. I unofficially hit 30 pounds exactly this morning and I am now half way to goal! It's all down hill from here! (In a good way!) Something about losing 30 sounds much better than losing 20 to me for some reason. And I'm sure 40 will feel even better and so on. So, I'm just a little excited this morning. Crossing my fingers it takes a few friends by official weigh in Thursday!

Have a great Monday!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebeth7 View Post
That is just awesome!!! Congratulations to you

And thank you, because your post made me realize that with yesterday's weigh-in, I am now more than halfway to MY goal, too! I am now 56 pounds into a planned 100 pound weight loss for me. I have a mini-goal for 6 weeks from now and 16 pounds left to go on that, but my plan is to keep on going on Phase II. I have been on Phase I since May, and I don't think that I can or should do it more than the 6 months I will have been on strict Phase I... some foods I am just missing too much.

It's been so nice to get so many compliments from co-workers and friends who are noticing the weight loss! Yesterday, I even survived a baby shower - at least they had veggies and some lo-carb option snacks. I don't think the 2 bites of cake I had will cause a problem... Doing great and I feel so good! Nice to have so many of my old clothes fit.

NSV - I DO NOT have to shop in the "Women's" plus size section anymore! WHOOOHOOOOOOO!!! Thank you, IP!

How about anyone else? Getting closer to goal?
Major props to you, too!

Wow! Some awesome SVs today.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #94  

I had a good weekend IP wise, and it was fun too. We went horseback riding and it was lots of fun (though my muscles were screaming the following day! who knew!)

The only bad thing was ... well the pictures :/ I was pleasantly surprised with all the pics except for the ones where I'm on the horse.. my biggest problem area is my hips.. and sitting on that horse they were just spilling out ughhh It was really disheartening.. but I tried to not let it get me down (it was just the first activity of the day). The rest of the day though was better and as I said, I actually was content with the way I looked in the rest of the pics.

I thought I would make it to goal by the end September (for my bday) but it looks like that won't be the case.. and surprisingly so I'm not upset about it. I'll just be happy if for the first time in about 5 years I'm back to the 130's by then

Congrats to everyone else on SV's and NSV's, keep up the good work everyone!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gika View Post
Bella, you are right, the culprit for low losses (which I've had at times) MIGHT be a low BMR. As you said, the only way to find out what your BMR is by doing some testing (I'm getting mine done when I hit the 130's, along with body fat). But if you think that this might be the problem, then the best way to raise it is by exercising, and even more so if you do some strength training. If you guys aren't doing any type of exercise.. it might be worth giving it a shot?
I was going to ask, if you have a low BMR and have it confirmed, if there's anything you can do to help. So exercise is the only thing? I can't do much as i have very bad knees (no more cartilage) but i can walk my dog for about 20min to start and increase that way....do you think that would help?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busymomx4 View Post
There are but won't i need to pay the consultation fee again?
I haven't paid a consultation fee. But I am sure if you tell a new coach, or new clinic about your situation they might be supportive and waive the fee.

I must second and third people when I say that you have had amazing averages in one month! Your coach should be estatic with your losses.
you will probably have slow weeks and big loss weeks throughout your weight loss journey. I agree with Wuv too, if you get measured you will often see that weeks you don't lose big on scale you lose big on measurments. that week I gained .8 I lost 3 inches from waist!!! that kept me positive and motivated!!

Last edited by leganegan; 08-29-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 171.8/155.8/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
There are but won't i need to pay the consultation fee again?
I met my coach's boss before, then last week my coach was hurt and his boss did all the weight and measurements. I really liked her and felt like they were a team.

Maybe talk to your coach's boss?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #98  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leganegan View Post
I haven't paid a consultation fee. But I am sure if you tell a new coach, or new clinic about your situation they might be supportive and waive the fee.

I must second and third people when I say that you have had amazing averages in one month! Your coach should be estatic with your losses.
you will probably have slow weeks and big loss weeks throughout your weight loss journey. I agree with Wuv too, if you get measured you will often see that weeks you don't lose big on scale you lose big on measurments. that week I gained .8 I lost 3 inches from waist!!! that kept me positive and motivated!!
Well i did call another clinic near where i live (right now i go close to work) and i would have to pay the fee ($60) as i would need to be reassessed, etc...but what is tempting me is that the woman is a naturopath and a nurse but the only downside is that they close at 6:30pm (i would have to rush after work to make it on time) and are closed on the week-end and i don't know if i want to get weight after a whole day of drinking water and eating lunch...i know that it evens out regardless. Right now i can't afford the extra money (kids...school..) but i will seriously consider it and i think i will have to put my foot down with my coach and say that i want to be measured and that i would appreciate encouragements instead of being reprimanded.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #99  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatinwa View Post
I met my coach's boss before, then last week my coach was hurt and his boss did all the weight and measurements. I really liked her and felt like they were a team.

Maybe talk to your coach's boss?
She's the only consultant there.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #100  

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone. Feels good to have so much support.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gika View Post
But if you think that this might be the problem, then the best way to raise it is by exercising, and even more so if you do some strength training. If you guys aren't doing any type of exercise.. it might be worth giving it a shot?
Completely agree
Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #102  

Quote:
I was going to ask, if you have a low BMR and have it confirmed, if there's anything you can do to help. So exercise is the only thing? I can't do much as i have very bad knees (no more cartilage) but i can walk my dog for about 20min to start and increase that way....do you think that would help?
Well that's the only thing I know of that could raise it. Any exercise will help, and definitively if you increase it as your knees allow, would help too. Unfortunately as we lose weight, the BMR also decreases, which is one of the reasons why it gets more difficult to lose weight as you approach your goal weight. But yeah, cardiovascular exercise helps and increasing muscle mass helps too. So maybe you can add in a few upper body strength moves as well?

One more thing, spreading your meals out also helps with BMR, which is why many diet plans advocate that. However I've heard mixed things about doing that while on IP. I remember reading a post about a coach saying that if you spread out your veggies you interrupt your body from burning fat (because it will turn to the available carbs from vegetables).

Last edited by Gika; 08-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Well i did call another clinic near where i live (right now i go close to work) and i would have to pay the fee ($60) as i would need to be reassessed, etc...but what is tempting me is that the woman is a naturopath and a nurse but the only downside is that they close at 6:30pm (i would have to rush after work to make it on time) and are closed on the week-end and i don't know if i want to get weight after a whole day of drinking water and eating lunch...i know that it evens out regardless. Right now i can't afford the extra money (kids...school..) but i will seriously consider it and i think i will have to put my foot down with my coach and say that i want to be measured and that i would appreciate encouragements instead of being reprimanded.
I weight in at 445 every time. I like doing it after work, in fact I go home and eat and then go to TOPS after IP weigh in (part of my maintenance plan). I just decided that as long as it's the same time every time it doesn't matter. I usually stop drinking water at 3:00 pm, then I drink a litre before TOPS (plus food). Because I've always done this...it's the 'same'. Maybe I would see a big loss if it was in the morning but my lifestyle doesn't allow me to weigh in at either place that early. I think it's worth the $60...to echo others, you need a better coach.

Last edited by Ishbel; 08-29-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #104  
fatmommynomore

I made it through a tough weekend and had my first weigh-in (two weeks) today and I am down 9.7. I love love love this website and have told my family, coach and friends. Thank you girlsguys! I am on the right track and have had a smile on my face all morning.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
It's a start and I do think it would help. I have a lower than average resting metobolic rate or basal metabolic rate. A few years ago I did the whole breathing test and I am on the high end of a slow metabolism (does that make sense?). The woman who tested me told me that the best thing I could do would be to exercise and build muscle (lift / train with weights). Muscle is more metabolicly active than fat, so the more muscle you can add to your body, the more calories you will burn, the higher your metabolic rate will be.

If you can, I would suggest getting some dumbells or even some resistance bands and start working your upper body. I would continue with the 20 min. a day walking, but add in some upper body weight training. I believe there are even workout DVD's that you can get that to go through all the exercises. Even though you have to be gentle on your knees, there are so many other exercises you can do to start activating your muscles and help raise your metabolic rate.

If you are interested in a DVD, go to beachbody.com. They have tons of great workouts and would be a great start for you.

I know there is a lot of controversy on IP about exercising or not, but I have been exercising from day 1 and I truly feel like it helps with my losses and my fat losses.
Closed Thread