Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #391  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Lady View Post
I have a question for the maintainers. My husband asked me last night if we will ever be able to go out and have sushi for dinner again? Sushi to us is rolls of some sort, spicy tuna, shrimp tempura, etc. I honestly didn't know the answer. I told him if I used that meal on my cheat day, sure. But didn't know if it really is a cheat or something allowed on a regular night in maintenance. I know you can have carbs for dinner, but thought I would ask you guys here.
I would certainly think that sushi would be a regular meal option in phase 4.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #392  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGirl View Post
I'm new to the Maintainers, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to be here since I just started phase 3, but I'm excited with this weight loss and excited to enter my new "healthy eating" stage of life. Thanks to all of you (I've been reading this the past few weeks for motivation)!
Yes, please join in! The more the merrier. I am new here too, also still in Phase 3 (day 10).
Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #393  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

Quote:
I have a question for the maintainers. My husband asked me last night if we will ever be able to go out and have sushi for dinner again? Sushi to us is rolls of some sort, spicy tuna, shrimp tempura, etc. I honestly didn't know the answer. I told him if I used that meal on my cheat day, sure. But didn't know if it really is a cheat or something allowed on a regular night in maintenance. I know you can have carbs for dinner, but thought I would ask you guys here.
I would like to answer that but I don't eat sushi so I don't know what is in the items you mentioned. Of course tuna and shrimp are a-ok!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #394  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I think sushi rice is sticky because it's got some sugar in it; maybe seasoned rice vinegar. It probably is insignificant but you could ask the sushi chef about it. I love sushi too. When I go out now I order seared tuna sashimi. I still get that hit of soy sauce & wasabi. I usually add some edamame and cucumber sticks and bring along some WF asian dressing. I do not count that as a cheat meal.

Quote:
I'm new to the Maintainers, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to be here since I just started phase 3, but I'm excited with this weight loss and excited to enter my new "healthy eating" stage of life. Thanks to all of you (I've been reading this the past few weeks for motivation)!
Welcome!! Congratulations on making it to phase III. It's a whole new world in phase IV. I think I make it harder than it has to be. I'm so grateful to have others share their experiences.

Hi all. Sorry I've been MIA. I have been reading each day but haven't had much to say. ( I know...no fair.) I thought I had been doing pretty well but the scale says otherwise Phase I today and pilates tonight. Don't have to think about it at all.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #395  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
"Planning takes the scary out of everything."
Love, love, love this quote pxlkitty because it so darn true! And yet, I forget it all the darn time. Thanks for the reminder. It's funny the conversation that has been going on between you & maile & wildflower about the 2-5 pounds of recidivism in Phase 3/ 4. Because I allotted for that I went down to 142 instead of 145 (which was my original goal). Then got hooked on being 142 and didn't want to see 145 on the scale. Everybody is different for sure but I think you made the right decision in stopping at goal. You were happy with where you were, had enough of being on Phase 1/2, and your goal is still your goal (if that makes any sense )

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower613 View Post
Those muffins sound great. I would not be against finding that recipe I might have to go search for one! Sorry if this is stupid, but what is spelt? I know exactly what you mean about measuring, etc. I hate NOT knowing, especially if it is not knowing how bad.
I am hoping my healthy eating will be passed on to my family as well, but mostly comes down to what I make for them so I think is has already!
Spelt
A wonderfully nutritious and ancient grain with a deep nutlike flavor, spelt is a cousin to wheat that is recently receiving renewed recognition. Spelt products can be found in your local health food store year-round.
Spelt is an ancient grain that traces its heritage back long before many wheat hybrids. Many of its benefits come from the fact that it offers a broader spectrum of nutrients compared to many of its more inbred cousins in the wheat family. It can be used in many of the same ways as wheat including bread and pasta making. Spelt does not seem to cause sensitivities in many people who are intolerant of wheat.
Hope this helps... I figure when we intake carbs we may as well try and get the absolute most we can from them... the recipe for the muffins can be found at dr.zepp.com...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedat47 View Post
I am having a heck of a time with the entire mental part of maintenance. I pretty much stick to a phase 3 breakfast which is usually 1 peice of flax/sunflower bread with a thin coat of natural no sugar added peanut butter and a greek goddess plain yogurt with 1 cup of blueberries and a coffee with an IP RTD vanilla. For lunch-salad and meat. For supper-salad and meat. I also snack in the afternoon-or evening on nuts and cheese. But EVERYTIME I put anything into my mouth, including the breakfast that is allowed, I have this fear that I am gaining weight or I will start spinning out of control. I have been maintaining for well over a month. Have not really had a free "day", have had 3 occurances where I have eaten off plan- one day for lunch in the hospital cafeteria of all places, I had 2 scoops of mashed potatoes with hotdogs and sauerkraut- sounds gross, but I HAD to have it that day. Also, Ate chinese one night including a small amount of white rice and a ginormous portion of cashew chicken. and one evening when TOM was here, a small bag of peanut M&Ms. Have never been up on the scale, but still feel like if I had a free day, and went up a couple pounds, I would feel like a fat blob and would start a vicious cycle of saying "what the heck, I'll start tomm" Anyway, just sharing the mental games in my head. I started IP in Jan. so it has become such a way of thinking/eating living, I can see myself packing my baggies of veggies and meat to my MIL house on Thanksgiving and christmas!
Determined I think we need to trade heads for a couple weeks or a month because if we could combine the two we'd be golden... I'm very good at the all out cheat day then right back on Phase 1 the next day (or two if warranted)... but I absolutely freak out (as can be seen on last night's post) when I'm not having a cheat day and have something that is off my normal course and start feeling like it's the beginning of the end of the world. Even though it isn't My normal days of eating are very akin to yours Phase 3 breakfast, salad/ protein lunch, veggie/ protein supper every once in awhile I have a very small portion of carb at supper but usually like for it to be rice in soup or something along those lines...
Anyway, didn't weigh myself this morning because like you I don't want to fall into the abuse cycle again. But I did exercise for an hour rather than my normal half hour and did that ever do a world of good for my attitude.
Maintenance is not as set out of a path as Phase 1, but they do recommend the 'cheat' day. And I think it is because maintenance is rigorous. And we all need a break. Along with having faith in yourself to fall off the wagon and hop right back on. Trust me after a cheat day you will want to do something about it. And Phase 1 is not that bad. It's like going to visit an old friend that's great to spend a little bit of time with but starts to drive you nuts after awhile
Trust yourself to get back on, you will... and you don't have to go all out, all day it is just a meal that is recommended after all... it's just a good habit to develop -dealing with going overboard... just my thoughts...
Quote:
You would have to avoid anything with the japanese mayo and anything that is fried. It would also be an incredibly small portion as a 1/3 c rice won't get you very far... maybe six small pieces?... might also be a thought to log it into mfp or fatsecret and see what the calorie/ fat count is prior to going out- and adjust the day's calories to accommodate it (less at breakfast & lunch to have a bit more for supper)... that said I would love to have some sushi right now!!

Quote:
write away! In phase 3 you're pretty much there not a whole lot changes other than a fat a carb and a free day Wildflower is right, the more the merrier!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #396  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

Thanks for answering my questions about the sushi! I guess it all depends on what I would order. I'm no sushi expert, that's for sure, lol. Might just leave it as a cheat meal when I get to maintenance just to be safe. I know the shrimp tempura is fried.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #397  

S/C/G: 201/192/160

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Looks like we are right around the same time. I started maintenance last Thursday. I am journaling religiously using fatsecret. We even have a maintenance challenge up if you are interested in joining (Ideal Protein Maintenance - Halloween Challenge). Several people have joined on the "buddy" list and now we can see each others' journals.

I have a new favorite dinner...

3 corn tortillas, sprayed with olive oil spray and baked into crisp in the oven (350 deg, directly on the rack)
1/2 cup rosarita refried beans
2 oz taco meat made from lean ground beef and taco seasoning with no added sugar (i use penzeys)
fat free salsa
fat free sour cream
chopped lettuce
chopped tomato

I made tostadas... They were delicious. I didn't even miss the cheese. I put everythig out in the kitchen, made and ate each one separately so they didn't get soggy... Delicious!!
Pxlkitty-

Yum! You reminded me of how much I miss Mexican food! I will be making these this week for sure.

I have always read your posts with great interest because they are always thoughtful and inspiring. I will continue to look for them in the future! Have a great day!

Karen
Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #398  

S/C/G: 201/192/160

I agree with what many of you have said that maintenance is harder than weight loss. I feel kinda like a kid in a candy store! There's so much I can eat now and I'm loving not being hungry except at meal time. However, I'm afraid of gaining weight, like many people on this thread. I have lost a lot of weight a few times before, but I've never been successful long-term with keeping it off. It's like I'll start out okay and then all the exceptions start. I'll start thinking, "well, just this once" or "I can get away with it". I don't know what it is with me a pushing boundaries... With some time, experience with it, and reading this thread, I trust that I will be able to maintain.

Karen
Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #399  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]
Also made spelt bread in the breadmaker and spelt pasta. This in an effort to get my whole family 5, 2 & 1 year old included into eating better. Can't expect this to be a lifestyle change if I don't get everyone on board. But it has been a challenge to find something that is healthy and that they like. Was incredibly pleased that the spelt received such rave reviews- it went over well with everyone!
Thanks so much to all of you for the warm welcome!!

Capricious, do you mind sharing your recipe for breadmaker spelt bread? It sounds wonderful. One of the challenging/exciting things about this program is I've been cooking more than ever before.

It was weird, after my first phase 3 breakfast this morning, I actually felt hungry for the first time since I started! I guess things are going back to "normal" .
Old 10-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #400  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Pxlkitty..That is exactly what I was going to ask this morning. If I how look at others' breakfasts. Can I look at the Halloween spread sheet also? I am going to check out the recipes.
I don't know if it will let you join the challenge. It's not a spreadsheet, fyi... It's a series of questions that people answer each week.

1). Did you have one cheat day only?
2) Did you follow your cheat day with a phase 1 day?
3) Are you getting regular exercise?
4) Will you change what you are doing next week based on results this week?
5) Track your food in a food diary/calorie counter (MFP or fatsecret) at least one day each week (non-cheat day)

You enter whether you succeeded or failed, and can keep a journal.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #401  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

Quote:
Quote:
I would certainly think that sushi would be a regular meal option in phase 4.
I've had sushi! It's fine, as long as you aren't eating the tempura rolls, tempura, and fried stuff. You have to minimize fat with dinner. I had some seaweed salad (just a bit since it has oil), chicken teriyaki made with chicken breast, and vegetable sushi rolls. I have lots of seafood allergies so won't eat the fishy stuff.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #402  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I am having a heck of a time with the entire mental part of maintenance. I pretty much stick to a phase 3 breakfast which is usually 1 peice of flax/sunflower bread with a thin coat of natural no sugar added peanut butter and a greek goddess plain yogurt with 1 cup of blueberries and a coffee with an IP RTD vanilla. For lunch-salad and meat. For supper-salad and meat. I also snack in the afternoon-or evening on nuts and cheese. But EVERYTIME I put anything into my mouth, including the breakfast that is allowed, I have this fear that I am gaining weight or I will start spinning out of control. I have been maintaining for well over a month. Have not really had a free "day", have had 3 occurances where I have eaten off plan- one day for lunch in the hospital cafeteria of all places, I had 2 scoops of mashed potatoes with hotdogs and sauerkraut- sounds gross, but I HAD to have it that day. Also, Ate chinese one night including a small amount of white rice and a ginormous portion of cashew chicken. and one evening when TOM was here, a small bag of peanut M&Ms. Have never been up on the scale, but still feel like if I had a free day, and went up a couple pounds, I would feel like a fat blob and would start a vicious cycle of saying "what the heck, I'll start tomm" Anyway, just sharing the mental games in my head. I started IP in Jan. so it has become such a way of thinking/eating living, I can see myself packing my baggies of veggies and meat to my MIL house on Thanksgiving and christmas!
I have the same feelings. When you are in the losing stage, you trust that your body is working and doing what you want. Now in maintenance, you are not sure if what you are doing is working, I am thinking that the key for myself is to keep experimenting and practicing until I reach a stage of confidence that what I eat is working for me.
However, I am not there by any means!

I have begun to realize the enormity of maintaining. I have decided not to buy myself something for reaching goal..instead I am going to treat myself to something for maintenance!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #403  
Maile

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenfromtexas View Post
I agree with what many of you have said that maintenance is harder than weight loss. I feel kinda like a kid in a candy store! There's so much I can eat now and I'm loving not being hungry except at meal time. However, I'm afraid of gaining weight, like many people on this thread. I have lost a lot of weight a few times before, but I've never been successful long-term with keeping it off. It's like I'll start out okay and then all the exceptions start. I'll start thinking, "well, just this once" or "I can get away with it". I don't know what it is with me a pushing boundaries... With some time, experience with it, and reading this thread, I trust that I will be able to maintain.

Karen
Karen..I have the same feelings. This time we can make it. Hopefully if we keep posting here and learning about ourselves, we can do it.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #404  
Maile

Quote:
Penzey's is my new favorite place. Their website lists all their spices without salt. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ml?id=8v96SKMU

Also, I've requested that they add a section for sugar free, as many seasonings also have sugar. No word back on that yet, so I'll harrass them again next time I'm in the store.
I am excited about that site for spices! Thanks.
Also..Are you posting your recipes on Fatsecret under IP then go to food? That would be so helpful.

Capricious and Pixl: yes Phase 3 seems to have variables. right now I am leaning towards going under to be safe..not secure yet!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #405  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
I am excited about that site for spices! Thanks.
Also..Are you posting your recipes on Fatsecret under IP then go to food? That would be so helpful.

Capricious and Pixl: yes Phase 3 seems to have variables. right now I am leaning towards going under to be safe..not secure yet!
When you are in your food diary, click "add item" then search. Search for "ideal protein breakfast". I don't know what it looks like to others, becauase they are saved under my favorites... Also, think of them more like meals (combinations of existing foods) rather than recipes. I haven't created any recipes yet...

It's probably easiest if you join my buddy list over there and then you can see my food diary and copy directly from there and make them a favorite for you too.

Last edited by Pxlkitty4; 10-14-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Closed Thread