Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #136  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

Wow, I had no idea how much cheaper Lindora is to IP. When I hit stabilization I'll be ordering from them and picking up the EAS low carb ready to drinks from Walmart or Sams Club.
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #137  

I've mentioned this before ... one guideline I've seen for carbohydrate consumption is 100-150 g per day for fairly effortless maintenance. That and sufficient protein will cover easily cover your body's glucose needs for the day. You have to find your own sweet spot on the carbs though -- for some it's much lower because they have smaller bodies, do less exercise, dysfunctional metabolic regulation. Oddly, some people with thyroid do well even in weight loss with over 50 g carbs.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #138  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike123 View Post
I have a question for all those of you who have been successfully maintaining for a while. I am coming up on phase 4 pretty soon and feel like the biggest gray area for me is the post cheat day (phase one recovery day). Some specific areas that I would loved addressed include: example meal plan for post cheat day recovery day (the day after the cheat day) How low you try to keep carbs? Are carbs the only thing kept to a minumum or are fats and calories as well? Any info pertaining to the phase one day (the day after your weekly cheat day) would really take a load off my mind. Thanks!!!!
HI Mike, I've followed the plan that the post cheat day is pure Phase 1 bootcamp:
no restricted veggies or packets
4 "servings" of protein
Salad
2 cups of veggies twice that day
LOTS of water

For the "protein servings" I use a combination of egg white omelettes, some chicken or beef, and the RTD shakes or other pre-made products (for the convenience). I order from New Lifestyles and still get a few IP products that nobody else seems to do as well.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #139  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike123 View Post
I have a question for all those of you who have been successfully maintaining for a while. I am coming up on phase 4 pretty soon and feel like the biggest gray area for me is the post cheat day (phase one recovery day). I know that phase 4 is not highly structured, and that you kind of have to "find what works" and all that, but I would really appreciate some information about how successful maintainers have been handling their post cheat day recovery day. I have read Tran's book and have heard numerous times that "there isn't a right way/you have to figure out what works for you/phase 4 is not clear/etc", so I'm really looking for some input from those have had some experience with maintaining and can share what works for them. Some specific areas that I would loved addressed include: example meal plan for post cheat day recovery day (the day after the cheat day) How low you try to keep carbs? Are carbs the only thing kept to a minimum or are fats and calories as well? Any info pertaining to the phase one day (the day after your weekly cheat day) would really take a load off my mind. Thanks!!!!
Hi Mike, it is good to hear from you!

I am starting my 4th week of maintenance, and so far so good. Others have a lot more experience than me, but I have been able to navigate my way successfully through three free days so far (with this past weekend being more of two evenings of free choices, rather than one full day). Each day after my free day, I stick to low carbs. Sometimes that involves alternative IP products, sometimes just whole foods, or a combination of both. My first recovery day was more of a challenge, since I had been 'over-served' with alcohol the night before. I seemed to crave carbs after having more than 2 drinks. However, since then the recovery days have been easy peasy. Usually omelet for breakfast, PH 2 salad for lunch, and a PH 2 dinner, I try to keep lower carb veggies on hand for those days. Also the evening protein snack should be low carb as well. I threw in an afternoon snack yesterday, and enjoyed some cheese, which helped tied me over. I don't know how the science works, but it does. Its important to have the foods you need on hand so you don't get hungry and reach for the wrong item. Good luck and let us know how you are doing. How do you like PH 3? When do you start maintenance?
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #140  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Even on regular ph. 4 days, sometimes if I'm just feeling like a treat, I'll have a protein bar with a cup of coffee in the afternoon, and also my jello with sf ff whipped cream on top (Hood Brand) but most days I stick to the only one dessert, which is late at night, close to midnight (I'm a musician and keep later hours) Just knowing that dessert is coming after my last meal will keep me from overeating the carbs at dinner.

Other treats I throw in when I need an extra sweet and don't want to cheat.
Sparkling water and ice in a 16oz tumbler
about 3 oz of plain sf almond milk
wf chocolate syrup
stir it up for a NY style egg cream. (it's very northeast coast, but hey, that's where I'm from :0)
It totally satisfies me.
If I'm really in need of gratification I'll top it off with my Hood brand sf,ff whipped cream.

Let's keep sharing tricks and tips so we can help each other stay on track AND have a good time. You guys are the best!
Great idea Sunny!

The treats I enjoy in maintenance:

I use WF pancake syrup in my greek yogurt in the morning and for my late night snack. I also use WF chocolate in my morning coffee for a home made mocha latte, with added sugar free whipped cream. To lighten the coffee, I use sugar free almond milk like you Sunny, which is very light in carbs, cals and sugars).

Fat free greek yogurt is a great source of protein for a late night snack, especially with some raspberries stirred in. Proti-diet has a chocolate dream bar, which is only 6 carbs a serving. I chop up and throw in half a bar with the yogurt mix, and love it!

I also have a protein bar with a cup of tea or coffee during the afternoon. There is a carbonated drink called 'Nice'. Sweetened with splenda, its 0/0/0 and a nice change of pace from water.

I don't feel deprived at all on maintenance. Any other ideas out there?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 201/147/155

Height: 5"9

Here we go again! I'm back from a 3 day weekend with friends and staying out of state. I am back up my usuall 6lbs and on phase 1 today. Probably take me all week to take off what 3 days put on! Hopefully after this I can have a few weeks of "normal" maintenance without travels to try and get this phase 4 down correctly
Clarice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 254/183/190

Height: 6'3

Thanks I'm Svelting, JSP, and Rocky Monarch for the helpful responses! Much appreciated. I had my first phase three breakfast this morning. I made the "All American" (2 eggs, bacon, toast with butter, and grapefruit). Ugh, soooooooo nice and yummy. I didn't notice any physical discomfort or changes at all. I think I am really going to enjoy the next two weeks of phase 3. This morning the scale showed a total loss of 70 pounds for me in the 3 months and 1 week of this program. Wow! what an effective weight loss program indeed. This diet has lived up to all it's promises (no hunger, easy to follow, yummy IP products, 5-7 lbs average a week, etc...).
Mike123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #143  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Great idea Sunny!

I use WF pancake syrup in my greek yogurt in the morning and for my late night snack. I also use WF chocolate in my morning coffee for a home made mocha latte, with added sugar free whipped cream. To lighten the coffee, I use sugar free almond milk like you Sunny, which is very light in carbs, cals and sugars).

Fat free greek yogurt is a great source of protein for a late night snack, especially with some raspberries stirred in. Proti-diet has a chocolate dream bar, which is only 6 carbs a serving. I chop up and throw in half a bar with the yogurt mix, and love it!

I also have a protein bar with a cup of tea or coffee during the afternoon. There is a carbonated drink called 'Nice'. Sweetened with splenda, its 0/0/0 and a nice change of pace from water.

Great Stuff Jenny. I will def. try the yogurt, raspberry and I love the idea of the chopped up protein bar.Gives you that heath bar, chunky monkey flavor.
Keep the great tips coming. I can tell I'm going to need them. I've been feeling very lax and struggling with wanting a sense of "normalcy" and not wanting to think about this stuff all the time. Bargaining with the devil on just wanting to be like everyone else and feeling encumbered by the constant vigil. I know I'm going thru a rebellious stage and I guess it's better just to say it out loud instead of acting it out, so thanks for listening everyone. Keep those tips coming please!!!
sunnymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #144  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Yogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Great idea Sunny!

Jenny,

I'm with you. I LOVE, LOVE LOVE the fat free greek yogurt. I eat it almost every morning made with Splenda & vanilla extract. I dip my apple or banana slices in it. For snack/desert at night, I squirt a little SF flavored syrup in it (chocolate, caramel, Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce) and add chopped SF chocolate or last night I crushed some IP Choc Soy puffs. Heaven! I can't believe this stuff is good for you!

Sunny,

I mix the chocolate RTD with equal parts seltzer for a chocolatey, sparkley treat. Is that like an egg cream? I'm not an East Coaster.

I don't really feel deprived on maintenance either. I actually like eating this way. (Yay!)

Lynn
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #145  

Default Need Phase 4 advice

I've been a read-but-don't-write member for a few months. Thanks for all the encouraging words from those who post here.

My info: Started IP on Dec 1, 2010. Down from 188 to 143 Yeah! 5'6" Size 18 -> 8. I don't cheat, but my loss has been typically < 3# per week. Twice, my coach had me switch to Phase 3 for a week and then back to Phase 1 (to jump start the process). I'm going to move to maintenance soon.

I plan to start Phase 3 in about a week, and then on to Phase 4 two weeks later. Looking for advice on Phase 4, as like many of you, I am leary of going away from the structure of IP. Also, I am a vegetarian (but I do eat some seafood -- way too much seafood while on IP Phase 1).

I'm worried about Phase 4 maintenance. It sounds like others are struggling without the structure of Phase 1 - 3. And I'm going on a cruise in May - yikes!

Does anyone have sample menus for vegetarians? I work full time (or more) and just have time to grab lunch in the cafeteria (typically salad bar, or pre-IP a sub with hummus and lots of veggies).

I'm meeting with my coach next week for a consult on phase 3 / 4, but I'm not clear on dairy. I use dairy as a protein source. As far as food combining, is dairy a fat or a protein?

Also, any advice on liquids (other than water) post-IP? I have only been drinking water, decaf tea, or occasionally a seltzer water with Stevia vanilla drops. I know I will have a glass of wine on cheat days.

Thanks for any advice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #146  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I've been a read-but-don't-write member for a few months. Thanks for all the encouraging words from those who post here.

My info: Started IP on Dec 1, 2010. Down from 188 to 143 Yeah! 5'6" Size 18 -> 8. I don't cheat, but my loss has been typically < 3# per week. Twice, my coach had me switch to Phase 3 for a week and then back to Phase 1 (to jump start the process). I'm going to move to maintenance soon.

I plan to start Phase 3 in about a week, and then on to Phase 4 two weeks later. Looking for advice on Phase 4, as like many of you, I am leary of going away from the structure of IP. Also, I am a vegetarian (but I do eat some seafood -- way too much seafood while on IP Phase 1).

I'm worried about Phase 4 maintenance. It sounds like others are struggling without the structure of Phase 1 - 3. And I'm going on a cruise in May - yikes!

Does anyone have sample menus for vegetarians? I work full time (or more) and just have time to grab lunch in the cafeteria (typically salad bar, or pre-IP a sub with hummus and lots of veggies).

I'm meeting with my coach next week for a consult on phase 3 / 4, but I'm not clear on dairy. I use dairy as a protein source. As far as food combining, is dairy a fat or a protein?

Also, any advice on liquids (other than water) post-IP? I have only been drinking water, decaf tea, or occasionally a seltzer water with Stevia vanilla drops. I know I will have a glass of wine on cheat days.

Thanks for any advice.
Mtngal,

Congratulations on being close to goal. Phases 3 & 4 are great.

If you go to the first post on this thread by I'm Svelting, there are links to the first 2 "Life After..." threads. Look for posts by Novak. If I remember right, she is vegetarian and had some great ideas and insights.

Linden...If you are lurking, maybe you have some suggestions.

Good Luck to you and let us know how you are doing.

Lynn
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #147  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post

Thanks for any advice.
Congrats on your success! You will love PH 3/4. I was very nervous about it, but in time was able to adjust to the new requirements. You may want to read Dr. Tran's book on maintenance. I read it often, to keep things in perspective. I am not a vegetarian, but Lynn is right. Novak is, and the original 'Life After' thread is full of helpful info. I not only read that thread, but I copied tips from it into a word doc I often reference.

As for dairy, it can be both a fat and a protein. Your PH 3 sheet should have specifics on how to utilize your dairy carbs. I have a higher fat greek yogurt in the morning (2%), and a fat free yogurt in the evenings, since it is important to keep carbs and fats separate later in the day.

Drinks: My days consist of coffee, water, tea, sparkling 'Nice'. I don't drink soda, but I wasn't a soda drinker before IP. Dr. T writes that a glass of wine with dinner is permissible. I usually have a drink or two on my free days (and over the weekend enjoyed a few beers, which I truly missed, to no ill effects). Was there a specific drink you are not sure about?

My advice is to gather as much info as you can, from as many sources as you can, and take it one day at a time. I am in my 4th week, and am not fretting about each mean any longer. You'll do great!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #148  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolberger View Post
Mtngal,

Congratulations on being close to goal. Phases 3 & 4 are great.

If you go to the first post on this thread by I'm Svelting, there are links to the first 2 "Life After..." threads. Look for posts by Novak. If I remember right, she is vegetarian and had some great ideas and insights.

Linden...If you are lurking, maybe you have some suggestions.

Good Luck to you and let us know how you are doing.

Lynn
Hi Mountain G,

I think Jenny did an excellent job of answering the question AND her tone is just right. What I mean is "you'll love" it, if you give it half a chance. Many people in phase 4 revert to phase 3 because they find it easy to follow and productive.

You've done so well so far; why should the endgame be any different? Forget the hand wringing and rationalizations about cheats you can read here. You're your own person. And successful. I, too, wish you good luck and I know you can make your own.

Linden

Just an edit but not an afterthought: Read what RockyM and petiteandcute have to say. They're perfect role models.

Last edited by Linden; 03-30-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #149  

Height: 5'7"

Hi all! I apologize in advance, I'm not sure if I'm posting this quesiton in the right place or not, it's my first post :-)

I've been on IP for 9 weeks now (total loss of 22 lbs.). This past week was slow, just a 1 lb. drop. Right now, I'm 6 lbs. away from my goal weight (my goal weight includes an extra 5 lbs. to make up for the possible weight gain in Phase 3 and 4). I'm still not totally clear on when to switch to Phase 2. I'm actually a little terrified, I have my Phase 1 routine down. I feel like I may be a little stalled and maybe Phase 2 will shake things up a little. I thought about stayin on Phase 1 just one more week and then moving to Phase 2, my coach thinks I can do it a little sooner, but she's leaving it up to me. What do you all think.

BTW, I love reading all the posts! You are all amazing!!
waterbaby102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #150  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbaby102 View Post
... Right now, I'm 6 lbs. away from my goal weight (my goal weight includes an extra 5 lbs. to make up for the possible weight gain in Phase 3 and 4). I'm still not totally clear on when to switch to Phase 2. I'm actually a little terrified, I have my Phase 1 routine down. I feel like I may be a little stalled and maybe Phase 2 will shake things up a little. I thought about stayin on Phase 1 just one more week and then moving to Phase 2, my coach thinks I can do it a little sooner, but she's leaving it up to me. What do you all think. BTW, I love reading all the posts! You are all amazing!!
hey waterbaby, "come on in, the water is fine!" Really, it sounds like you are ready for Phase 2 and it may well "shake things up a bit" as it does for some people. The point about Phase 2 and Phase 3 is to re-learn your eating habits, both for your body and your mind. So you don't want to run and jump off the dock, but just wade in slowly. We'll be here, splashing in the waves, waiting for you to join us!
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote