Old 08-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

[QUOTE=deinekatze;3426359]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post

No, you are not "over doing it" for your legs if you add weight training to them, I actually think you would benefit so much! You are using you legs a bunch so they really could use the muscle build too. Go for it! Do resistance training on your legs 2 to 3 times per week, you should see results with that
Thanks Elizabeth! I'll add legs in tomorrow with the pilates and arms.

Hope you're feeling better today!
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #92  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

[QUOTE=makeitmatter;3428373]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post

Thanks Elizabeth! I'll add legs in tomorrow with the pilates and arms.

Hope you're feeling better today!
Thanks...I am...much!
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

I've read quite a bit on here recently about the shake weight. Has anyone used it with success? Elizabeth- mind sharing your thoughts on the product? Thanks!
kplus80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #94  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplus80 View Post
I've read quite a bit on here recently about the shake weight. Has anyone used it with success? Elizabeth- mind sharing your thoughts on the product? Thanks!
hahaha... I just can't get past the silly ads and how much fun we have all made of it... I touched one and realized you are the one doing the shaking and not like the thing vibrates...heck get a can or something and shake that LOL

JK... I truly couldn't say... i just laughed at it so much...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #95  
getting back on track

ok tell you what... I will get one today and give you my review... I can see how it would work as it targets your muscles isometrically. In the mean time enjoy the clips LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWTCs2HYHWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqi1RUzKRyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-0heZupT1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYDFmEH7ob0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc381zH_IeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOJrpVg51Y8
Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 202/165/150

Just got back from a 2 mile jog.

It's amazing how much easier it was considering I'm not carrying around 20 extra pounds.

Hopefully the scale will reward me too. Hopefully....
Soon 2 B MrsT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #97  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2 B MrsT View Post
Just got back from a 2 mile jog.

It's amazing how much easier it was considering I'm not carrying around 20 extra pounds.

Hopefully the scale will reward me too. Hopefully....
Drink lots of water and it will... be patient... more than anything watch your inches!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
ok tell you what... I will get one today and give you my review... I can see how it would work as it targets your muscles isometrically. In the mean time enjoy the clips LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWTCs2HYHWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqi1RUzKRyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-0heZupT1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYDFmEH7ob0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc381zH_IeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOJrpVg51Y8
Oh LOL! That last video was especially hilarious. Never heard of the 3 minute legs machine before..
kplus80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #99  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Default I have flab

When I started IP, my coach told me not to exercise. Since I didn't exercise anyway, this was alright with me. I have walked in my pool all summer for an hour per day, but not at an aerobic rate. I now have a lot of flab in my arms, thighs, and gluts. I have lost 61 pounds. My arm flab is the worst and would love to hear from anyone that has had success at tightening this area. I have been playing with 3 pound weights, but nothing significant. I still have over 85 pounds to lose so I am worried because it is only going to get worse. I love the diet and I am so hopeful for the first time in many years.:car rot::carro t:
rosemary2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #100  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary2612 View Post
When I started IP, my coach told me not to exercise. Since I didn't exercise anyway, this was alright with me. I have walked in my pool all summer for an hour per day, but not at an aerobic rate. I now have a lot of flab in my arms, thighs, and gluts. I have lost 61 pounds. My arm flab is the worst and would love to hear from anyone that has had success at tightening this area. I have been playing with 3 pound weights, but nothing significant. I still have over 85 pounds to lose so I am worried because it is only going to get worse. I love the diet and I am so hopeful for the first time in many years.:car rot::carro t:
Two great exercises for working these muscles of the upper arm are dumbbell biceps curls and triceps kickbacks.

Dumbbell Biceps Curls

Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms at your sides. Hold a dumbbell in each hand, your palms facing your sides. Exhale, and keeping your elbows locked against your rib cage, curl both arms three-quarters of the way up to your shoulders, rotating your wrists as you lift, so your palms end up facing your shoulders.
Hold for a beat, focusing on squeezing your biceps. Inhale, and slowly lower your arms to the starting position; repeat.

Triceps Kickbacks

Hold a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing your sides, and stand with your feet hip-width apart, with a slight bend in your knees. Bend forward from the waist so that your torso is nearly parallel with the floor. Bend both elbows so that your upper arms are locked at your sides and parallel to the floor (your forearms should be perpendicular to the floor).
Keeping your upper arms still, straighten your forearms behind you until the ends of the dumbbells are pointing toward the floor (so until your arm is all stretched out without locking your elbows). Hold for a beat, then inhale and slowly lower your arms to the starting position; repeat.

do 3 sets of 15 of each every other day
Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #101  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Quote:
Two great exercises for working these muscles of the upper arm are dumbbell biceps curls and triceps kickbacks.

Dumbbell Biceps Curls

Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms at your sides. Hold a dumbbell in each hand, your palms facing your sides. Exhale, and keeping your elbows locked against your rib cage, curl both arms three-quarters of the way up to your shoulders, rotating your wrists as you lift, so your palms end up facing your shoulders.
Hold for a beat, focusing on squeezing your biceps. Inhale, and slowly lower your arms to the starting position; repeat.

Triceps Kickbacks

Hold a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing your sides, and stand with your feet hip-width apart, with a slight bend in your knees. Bend forward from the waist so that your torso is nearly parallel with the floor. Bend both elbows so that your upper arms are locked at your sides and parallel to the floor (your forearms should be perpendicular to the floor).
Keeping your upper arms still, straighten your forearms behind you until the ends of the dumbbells are pointing toward the floor (so until your arm is all stretched out without locking your elbows). Hold for a beat, then inhale and slowly lower your arms to the starting position; repeat.

do 3 sets of 15 of each every other day
Thanks Elizabeth - I will start today.
rosemary2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 255/195/175

Quote:

It's simple math...calories in vs Calories Out... you can't eat less calories because your body needs it to run properly. Even just sitting down your body requires and burns a certain amount of calories per day. SO the trick is to move and burn the extra ones... or you can also go into starvation mode and that is no fun because our smart bodies KNOW they need a supply to survive and seeing as how you are not giving it enough calories then it starts holding on to the ones you do consume for dear life and not letting them go.
Eating less than 1000 calories a day, I am afraid my body has been going into starvation mode. I understand that IP is meant to burn fat for fuel - what kind of exercise do you suggest to start out with?

I was swimming for an hour twice a week but that had me worn out and feeling weak.

Thx,
Elle
elle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 260/166.6/132

Height: 5'5"

I started off walking for at least an hour a day but no I am on week 4 day 2 of Couch to 5k everyother day and then walk for an hour on the days i don't do c25k.
FannyMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #104  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle12 View Post
Eating less than 1000 calories a day, I am afraid my body has been going into starvation mode. I understand that IP is meant to burn fat for fuel - what kind of exercise do you suggest to start out with?

I was swimming for an hour twice a week but that had me worn out and feeling weak.

Thx,
Elle
something as simple as walking at a fast pace will do , but you should do that more often. IP provides you with plenty of protein though... if needed you can add one more packet to your day...if you feel that weak.

I advice to do some resistance/weight training always but not sure what you are used to. By doing weights you are strengthening your muscles and it does burn fat/calories longer than cardio alone.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 255/195/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by FannyMae View Post
I started off walking for at least an hour a day but no I am on week 4 day 2 of Couch to 5k everyother day and then walk for an hour on the days i don't do c25k.
Quote:
something as simple as walking at a fast pace will do , but you should do that more often. IP provides you with plenty of protein though... if needed you can add one more packet to your day...if you feel that weak.

I advice to do some resistance/weight training always but not sure what you are used to. By doing weights you are strengthening your muscles and it does burn fat/calories longer than cardio alone.

Eli- I used to do the curves circuit but haven't for about 6 mos. Maybe I will check around for another gym.

Think I will try walking & see how it goes, need to do something to shake up my metabolism.
(Did 25 minutes of fast pace walking on lunch hour today at work, up and down the air conditioned hallway )

Last edited by elle12; 08-13-2010 at 02:12 PM.
elle12 is offline   Reply With Quote