Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 184/145/135

Height: 5"5

CW...you both look so happy and gorgeous together. Sending you lots of hugs for today
Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #212  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie View Post

Jordanna and Novak My body seems to have just stopped losing. I measure my food, have extra water, get in all my supplements, walk 5kms, 4 times a week, and didn't even lick my fingers when making my son's b-day cake this weekend past. My coach thinks I am too stressed out about losing this weight, and that may be my problem. I have no interest in cheating because I am so concerned with losing weight.. Am I too obsessed? Have you guys ever had a week or two of no movement on the scale or in inches?
I wanted to get home and check my spreadsheet before I responded to your question...

In fact, that was NOT my experience, though I was in my fifth week on plan when I lost as much as you have to date. I don't know when you started the diet, but I think that puts us at a similar weekly average for the same time period. I'm trying to match up with you because we share the same height and nearly the same start weight. It's possible that you dropped more rapidly early on, and your body is still trying to figure out what it's supposed to do... I read that this often occurs 3-4 weeks into the diet.

The obsessing part may also be a factor, if it's creating undue stress. I think it's really healthier not to compare your losses to others, or beat yourself up if you don't show significant progress for days or even weeks... though I know it's hard not to see the losses you want to see. You are doing all the right things, and as long as you are in ketosis and cranking through the process, you will get there.

Try to think in the longer-term... not what you lost this week but what you've lost so far and how much better you look and feel already. Your body is smart, and it's not exactly like anyone else's. Let it find its own weight loss pace--one that is healthy for you. After a booming 10 pound start, I almost immediately settled in at ~3 pounds (or a bit less) per week. And though I didn't match other people's numbers, it felt right.

So here I am less than 4 months later, shocked to be introducing my closet to "Size 4" for the first time in my life, even though I've actually weighed less in the past. This diet has changed my body composition in a totally unexpected way, to the point that I hardly recognize myself when I see my reflection in a store window. And no one has referred to me as "tiny" since I was an infant, but it's happened twice in the last few days... it's like people are speaking a foreign language!

Put your head down and follow the program. You will get there. It happened for me, and it will happen for you. For real.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 184/145/135

Height: 5"5

Novak...thanks, not going to lie, a little teary over here, so thank you. I started on Apr.5, and I have been watching your progress intently...lol..maybe too intently You are soo right, obsessing is definitely part of my problem..my husband has threatened to throw out the scale, so I can only know weight for my weekly WI...probably a great idea, although it makes me anxious to think about it.....I may be starring in a new TLC program called " Scale Hoppers" soon You are a great inspiration for me, once again...Thank you.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb View Post
i too love perrier and plain old sparkling water and drink at least one a day, i would never get my 80-90oz of water a day without these. thank goodness perrier is the better of the two!

my conclusion is that sparkling water is better to "cheat" with than butter or cheese-so i'm going to continue doing it. i'll let you know how week 5 works out.
going to a different store to look for that pickled okra of yours also looking for pickled cauliflower LOVE it when my mom makes it but she hasn't done it in forever!

my 5th weigh in is on Friday so we shall see; I'll take it if it doesn't have a + sign before it and run with it. All I know is that it be super cool if I lost want I want to loose by my birthday which is August 20th. Plan is to go to my favorite restaurant and have deleciousness.

yes to bubbles, in fact I ran out last night so Pellegrino is on my list of to buy.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #215  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
If you're stalling there are a few things you can try:
1) add an extra package of food in to change things up
2) stop exercising for a week
3) eat some higher fat foods ie: don't trim your steak, add extra oil to your food/salads
4) wait it out, eventually you're body is going to stop stalling (my coach says it can take up to 3 weeks for your body to respond to a stall - basically your body goes "whoa, where are my fat stores going??" and holds on to everything for a few weeks before going back to losing.)

Hope that helps! If you aren't cheating the weight will come off eventually. I think Showgirl had a huge stall for a bit and then bounced back with a big loss after a few weeks....(if I remember correctly)
That is good, solid advice Jordanna. I have done all the above to have a better week WI too. I was told that I could have one restricted per day, but to increase my loss, I do an one day restricted, followed by a day with no resticted packets. It does seem to help.

I think the change up in my plan, by having slightly more fat etc., changing my exercise etc. has resulted in a better loss that week. Our bodies do better if things don't get too predictable. That can be hard on this plan that has little leeway in protocol.

For me it is better not to try to fiddle with the program too much, as pretty soon I am afraid I would be straying from the protocol more and more. I am not a "little bit" type of person.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #216  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie View Post
Novak...thanks, not going to lie, a little teary over here, so thank you. I started on Apr.5, and I have been watching your progress intently...lol..maybe too intently You are soo right, obsessing is definitely part of my problem..my husband has threatened to throw out the scale, so I can only know weight for my weekly WI...probably a great idea, although it makes me anxious to think about it.....I may be starring in a new TLC program called " Scale Hoppers" soon You are a great inspiration for me, once again...Thank you.
I'll be checking in to see when you lower your target weight because things are going so well...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #217  

To BABS181: Well said! Thank you!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #218  

this diet has changed my body composition in a totally unexpected way, to the point that I hardly recognize myself when I see my reflection in a store window.
TO NOVAK~you are right on! There's too much concern about 1/2 # here or 0.8 pound there. This IP stuff really changes the entire body composition, shape, b/c it's ridding us of fat. Inches are what ultimately matter.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #219  

S/C/G: 249/203/135

Height: 5ft 7 "

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpchamp View Post
this diet has changed my body composition in a totally unexpected way, to the point that I hardly recognize myself when I see my reflection in a store window.
TO NOVAK~you are right on! There's too much concern about 1/2 # here or 0.8 pound there. This IP stuff really changes the entire body composition, shape, b/c it's ridding us of fat. Inches are what ultimately matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
That is good, solid advice Jordanna. I have done all the above to have a better week WI too. I was told that I could have one restricted per day, but to increase my loss, I do an one day restricted, followed by a day with no resticted packets. It does seem to help.

I think the change up in my plan, by having slightly more fat etc., changing my exercise etc. has resulted in a better loss that week. Our bodies do better if things don't get too predictable. That can be hard on this plan that has little leeway in protocol.

For me it is better not to try to fiddle with the program too much, as pretty soon I am afraid I would be straying from the protocol more and more. I am not a "little bit" type of person.
Thanks to both of you for the great advice. Its good to hear what works when you get to a stall!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #220  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Hi Everyone! Sorry I have been missing! It has been a dramatic 3 days. Put into simple terms, family drama, BF breakup/leaving, car accident - driver uninsured in a company truck... research involved to get their insurance, got a new puppy, and those were the highlights!

I am trying to get caught up on the posts and will respond as I can! Good luck to all the newbies and congrats to all the successful weight ins and NSVs!! WOW!! What a great week! I was down again at my weigh in.. YEAH!! And lost inches... Solidly moving into the 160's at a weight of 165. WOO HOO! 15 pounds more and I reach my IP goal. From there we will see what comes next!

I am attaching a couple of pictures. They are me when I started in nov 09, then dec 09 (4 weeks later), and the last month. I still need to take pictures for this month.

The cargo pants in the pictures are the same ones as when I first started. I couldn't cinch them in because my tummy was to fat. the jeans were snug (couldn't wear a belt) and are a size 20 which I wore in the beginning of the diet. The last picture is from the same time in april but I am in my normal size jeans, the size 12.. I had just got into them! Now, into my size 10s. I ordered a new pair of Paige jeans so, will post new picture of me in them in the next week.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #221  

Talking

Ok Love The Pics Showgalaz!!!!
Great Job! You Look Amazing!
Good Luck With All Of Your Troubles!

Last edited by karleem; 05-19-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #222  

I HAD READ THIS FROM A EMAIL I GOT A WHILE AGO AND HAD SENT IT TO MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS. I CUT A BIT OUT OF IT TO MAKE IT SHORTER, BUT WORTH A READ FOR THOSE STILL STRUGGLING WITH SODA/POP.
Top Reasons to Give Up Soda
By Steve Edwards
If you're looking for a scapegoat in the obesity epidemic, look no further than soda. It's the single greatest caloric source in the world, accounting for somewhere between 11 and 19 percent of all the calories consumed worldwide. It's cheap, addictive, and readily available, which generally means that it will take some willpower to avoid.

It's the "real thing" . . . not exactly. Should having the number one caloric source in the world come from something that's entirely manmade be a metaphor for a dying world? It doesn't have to be this way. After all, there's nothing in soda that we need. In fact, there's nothing in soda that even comes from the earth except caffeine, and that's optional. It's a mixture of altered water (injected with carbon dioxide gas), artificial flavors (yes, "natural flavor" is artificial), artificial color, and phosphoric acid, along with its sole caloric source that is a by-product of genetically modified corn production and offers virtually no nutritional value. It's about as real as The Thing.

Soda outkills terrorists. A study out of the University of California, San Francisco, shows that soda has killed at least 6,000 Americans in the last decade. Using a computer model and data from the Framingham Heart Study, the Nurses Health Study and the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, researchers estimated that the escalating consumption between 1990 and 2000 of soda and sugar-sweetened beverages, which they abbreviated as 'SSBs,' led to 75,000 new cases of diabetes and 14,000 new cases of coronary heart disease.
What's more, the burden of the diseases translated into a $300 million to $550 million increase in health care costs between 2000 and 2010."

Diet? Um, that's just like your opinion, man. When it comes to soda, treat the word "diet" as a slogan. A study at Boston University's School of Medicine linked diet soda with increased risk factors for heart disease and diabetes. To be more specific, the study "found adults who drink one or more sodas a day had about a 50 percent higher risk of metabolic syndrome," which is a cluster of risk factors such as excessive fat around the waist, low levels of "good" cholesterol, high blood pressure, and other symptoms that lead to heart disease and/or diabetes. And, for those of you only concerned about how you look in the mirror, "Those who drank one or more soft drinks a day had a 31 percent greater risk of becoming obese."

The Frankenfood factor. Whether you consume diet or regular soda, you're getting all of the genetically modified food you need and more, via high fructose corn syrup or aspartame. Both of these are under plenty of scientific as well as anecdotal scrutiny. Findings aren't pretty but, so far, this multibillion-dollar industry has kept these sweeteners on the shelves while alternative sweeteners meeting cost requirements are explored. Since it's almost impossible to read health headlines without finding one of these ingredients in some type of controversy. For me, seeing the Diet Coke® and Mentos® experiment was all I needed to swear off the stuff.

It's not just about calories. Calories grab headlines, but recent science is showing that diet soda users are still in the crosshairs. A 2005 study by the University of Texas Health Science Center showed that there's a 41 percent increased risk of being obese—and a 65 percent increased risk of becoming overweight during the next 7 or 8 years—for every can of diet soda a person consumes in a day. Admittedly, diet sodas are very much a part of the problem.

Soda may cause cancer. According to a report in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, consuming two or more soft drinks per week increased the risk of developing pancreatic cancer by nearly twofold compared to individuals who did not consume soft drinks. As reported, the study "followed 60,524 men and women in the Singapore Chinese Health Study for 14 years. During that time, there were 140 pancreatic cancer cases. Those who consumed two or more soft drinks per week (averaging five per week) had an 87 percent increased risk compared with individuals who did not."
Then why, you're probably asking yourself, why is soda even still on the shelf?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #223  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

to piggyback on you there Karleem... here is some things about sugar

146 Reasons Why Sugar Is Ruining Your Health
By Nancy Appleton, Ph.D.

1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in the body.
3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases).
6. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function, the more sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you loose.
7. Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins.
8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.
9 Sugar leads to cancer of the ovaries.
10. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose.
11. Sugar causes copper deficiency.
12. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
13. Sugar can weaken eyesight.
14. Sugar raises the level of a neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine.
15. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
16. Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract.
17. Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children.
18. Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.
19. Sugar can cause premature aging.
20. Sugar can lead to alcoholism.
21. Sugar can cause tooth decay.
22. Sugar contributes to obesity
23. High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.
24. Sugar can cause changes frequently found in person with gastric or duodenal ulcers.
25. Sugar can cause arthritis.
26. Sugar can cause asthma.
27. Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections).
28. Sugar can cause gallstones.
29. Sugar can cause heart disease.
30. Sugar can cause appendicitis.
31. Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis.
32. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
33. Sugar can cause varicose veins.
34. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.
35. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
36. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
37. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.
38. Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
39. Sugar can lower the amount of Vitamin E (alpha-Tocopherol in the blood.
40. Sugar can decrease growth hormone.
41. Sugar can increase cholesterol.
42. Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.
43. Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
44. High sugar intake increases advanced glycation end products (AGEs)(Sugar bound non-enzymatically to protein)
45. Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.
46. Sugar causes food allergies.
47. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
48. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
49. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
50. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
51. Sugar can impair the structure of DNA
52. Sugar can change the structure of protein.
53. Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
54. Sugar can cause cataracts.
55. Sugar can cause emphysema.
56. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
57. Sugar can promote an elevation of low density lipoproteins (LDL).
58. High sugar intake can impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in the body.
59. Sugar lowers the enzymes ability to function.
60. Sugar intake is higher in people with Parkinson’s disease.
61. Sugar can cause a permanent altering the way the proteins act in the body.
62. Sugar can increase the size of the liver by making the liver cells divide.
63. Sugar can increase the amount of liver fat.
64. Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
65. Sugar can damage the pancreas.
66. Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.
67. Sugar is enemy #1 of the bowel movement.
68. Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness).
69. Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
70. Sugar can make the tendons more brittle.
71. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraine.
72. Sugar plays a role in pancreatic cancer in women.
73. Sugar can adversely affect school children's grades and cause learning disorders..
74. Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves.
75. Sugar can cause depression.
76. Sugar increases the risk of gastric cancer.
77. Sugar and cause dyspepsia (indigestion).
78. Sugar can increase your risk of getting gout.
79. Sugar can increase the levels of glucose in an oral glucose tolerance test over the ingestion of complex carbohydrates.
80. Sugar can increase the insulin responses in humans consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.
81 High refined sugar diet reduces learning capacity.
82. Sugar can cause less effective functioning of two blood proteins, albumin, and lipoproteins, which may reduce the body’s ability to handle fat and cholesterol.
83. Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.
84. Sugar can cause platelet adhesiveness.
85. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some hormones become underactive and others become overactive.
86. Sugar can lead to the formation of kidney stones.
87. Sugar can lead to the hypothalamus to become highly sensitive to a large variety of stimuli.
88. Sugar can lead to dizziness.
89. Diets high in sugar can cause free radicals and oxidative stress.
90. High sucrose diets of subjects with peripheral vascular disease significantly increases platelet adhesion.
91. High sugar diet can lead to biliary tract cancer.
92. Sugar feeds cancer.
93. High sugar consumption of pregnant adolescents is associated with a twofold increased risk for delivering a small-for-gestational-age (SGA) infant.
94. High sugar consumption can lead to substantial decrease in gestation duration among adolescents.
95. Sugar slows food's travel time through the gastrointestinal tract.
96. Sugar increases the concentration of bile acids in stools and bacterial enzymes in the colon. This can modify bile to produce cancer-causing compounds and colon cancer.
97. Sugar increases estradiol (the most potent form of naturally occurring estrogen) in men.
98. Sugar combines and destroys phosphatase, an enzyme, which makes the process of digestion more difficult.
99. Sugar can be a risk factor of gallbladder cancer.
100. Sugar is an addictive substance.
101. Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.
102. Sugar can exacerbate PMS.
103. Sugar given to premature babies can affect the amount of carbon dioxide they produce.
104. Decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability.
105. The body changes sugar into 2 to 5 times more fat in the bloodstream than it does starch.
106. The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in obese subjects.
107. Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
108. Sugar adversely affects urinary electrolyte composition.
109. Sugar can slow down the ability of the adrenal glands to function.
110. Sugar has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative diseases.
111.. I.Vs (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to the brain.
112. High sucrose intake could be an important risk factor in lung cancer.
113. Sugar increases the risk of polio.
114. High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures.
115. Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people.
116. In Intensive Care Units, limiting sugar saves lives.
117. Sugar may induce cell death.
118. Sugar can increase the amount of food that you eat.
119. In juvenile rehabilitation camps, when children were put on a low sugar diet, there was a 44% drop in antisocial behavior.
120. Sugar can lead to prostrate cancer.
121. Sugar dehydrates newborns.
122. Sugar increases the estradiol in young men.
123. Sugar can cause low birth weight babies.
124. Greater consumption of refined sugar is associated with a worse outcome of schizophrenia
125. Sugar can raise homocysteine levels in the blood stream.
126. Sweet food items increase the risk of breast cancer.
127. Sugar is a risk factor in cancer of the small intestine.
128. Sugar may cause laryngeal cancer.
129. Sugar induces salt and water retention.
130. Sugar may contribute to mild memory loss.
131. As sugar increases in the diet of 10 years olds, there is a linear decrease in the intake of many essential nutrients.
132. Sugar can increase the total amount of food consumed.
133. Exposing a newborn to sugar results in a heightened preference for sucrose relative to water at 6 months and 2 years of age.
134. Sugar causes constipation.
135. Sugar causes varicous veins.
136. Sugar can cause brain decay in prediabetic and diabetic women.
137. Sugar can increase the risk of stomach cancer.
138. Sugar can cause metabolic syndrome.
139. Sugar ingestion by pregnant women increases neural tube defects in embryos.
140. Sugar can be a factor in asthma.
141. The higher the sugar consumption the more chances of getting irritable bowel syndrome.
142. Sugar could affect central reward systems.
143. Sugar can cause cancer of the rectum.
144. Sugar can cause endometrial cancer.
145. Sugar can cause renal (kidney) cell carcinoma.
146. Sugar can cause liver tumors.

more on the subject...

A bowl of sweetened cereal for breakfast, a cup of fruit yogurt for a snack, and a scoop of sherbet for dessert: You've just had more than 20 teaspoons of sugar without opening the sugar jar.

Twenty teaspoons of sugar sounds like a lot -- and it is. (Just imagine scooping that much sugar directly into your mouth.) It may be hard to believe, but the typical American actually eats or drinks more than 20 teaspoons of added sugar each day, and that doesn't even count the sugars naturally found in foods such as fruits, fruit juices, and milk.

Added sugar used to be a treat, but now it's a major part of the American diet. According to a 2004 report from the American Dietetic Association, sweeteners account for about 15 percent of our daily calories. But that's just an average. Many people get 30 percent or more of their calories from added sugars -- far more than any body really wants or needs.
The 10 percent rule

According to the World Health Organization, no more than 10 percent of calories should come from added sweeteners. This advice is in line with the long-standing recommendations of the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) food pyramid, which called for a maximum of 12 teaspoons of sugar (48 grams) in a 2,200-calorie diet -- or roughly 9 percent of daily calories. Current USDA guidelines, revised in 2005, simply say to limit these calories.

In a diet composed of 2,000 daily calories, that would amount to about 200 calories, or 50 grams of sugar. Now you have another reason to check nutrition labels. Thanks to them, it's easy to find out the sugar content of common foods from candy bars to breakfast cereals. Those labels are definitely worth a read because the numbers can be surprising: A single bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats contains three teaspoons (12 grams) of sugar; some raisin bran contains 20 grams; a 32-ounce sports drink can contain 19 teaspoons (76 grams) of sugar, and a 20-ounce Fruitopia fruit drink can pack nearly 18 teaspoons (71 grams) of sugar -- nearly one and a half times as much as you should have in one day.

By glancing at the nutrition labels, you'll notice that a mini-candy bar often contains 10 grams of sugar, and that some "health" bars offer even more. If you're used to having a scone for breakfast, candy at the office, a sweetened-yogurt smoothie for lunch, sweetened iced tea or colas in the mid-afternoon, and ice cream after dinner, you may find out you're getting two or four or five times as much sugar as recommended.

If you regularly drink 100 percent fruit juice, take a moment to look at those labels, too. These products don't contain any added sugar, but they're still plenty sweet. A small, 4.2-ounce juice box has nearly four teaspoons (15 grams) of sugar. The sugar may be natural, but as far as your body is concerned, it's no different from any other type of sugar.

And be sure to count the "hidden" sources of sugar, too -- soups, canned spaghetti sauce, and even pork and beans may all contain significant amounts of added sugar.

For every sugary product, however, there's a low-sugar or sugar-free alternative. For many people, cutting back on sugar is as simple as drinking skim milk or diet sodas instead of regular sodas (or better yet, water). If you're a big fan of cookies or candy, you might try to find something else to munch on, like low-salt pretzels. (Remember, even low-fat or fat-free cookies can be loaded with sugar.) You can make your own smoothies using fruits and non-sugared yogurt. And there are plenty of breakfast choices that aren't sweet enough to make your teeth hurt. A bowl of Cheerios, for instance, contains just a quarter-teaspoon (1 gram) of sugar. The sugar in a muffin or a cappuccino will take a big chunk out of your calorie quota for the day without moving you closer to your daily goals for minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients. If you eat too much of the sweet stuff, you'll have trouble getting enough healthy nutrients without going overboard on calories.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #224  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

another one... may not all be IP ready but here goes
I saw this and felt it would be good to share with you all as I need you to stay as healthy as possible ;-)

I've added my on 2 cents in parenthesis in the text below as well

...By Jessica Hulett...

Dessert doesn't have to be a guilty pleasure. With a few easy substitutions, you can enjoy formerly forbidden foods like cookies, cakes and pies without worrying about your health -- or your waistline.

Tip: Start small when you're giving your recipes a healthy makeover. Only try one substitution at a time so if you don't like the end result, you'll know the culprit.

Eggs
Eggs are a great binder and leavener, but they're also high in cholesterol. For each replaced egg, grind a tablespoon of flax seed and dissolve it in 3 tablespoons of water. When it breaks down, it will have the same gooey consistency as an egg, and possess the same binding power. It's also a shot of nutritional goodness, as flax seed is a good source of essential fatty acids. As a replacement leavener, substitute two egg whites for each whole egg.

Butter
It's a key ingredient in many baked goods; unfortunately, it's also high in saturated fat and calories (but still better than Margarine for you). For cookies, cakes and muffins, fruit purees can lighten up a recipe. Cut the butter in half and use applesauce or pureed prunes to make up the difference. Or take out the butter entirely and use canola oil instead.

Dairy
Soy, rice and nut milks are great substitutes for dairy.(I highly recommend Almond milk instead of the others) They can have added sugar, though, so either use an unsweetened version or adjust the amount of sweetener in your recipe. Use the same quantity of non-dairy milk that the recipe calls for. To replace buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice to non-dairy milk and let it sit for about 15 minutes before using.

Sugar
Honey and maple syrup are two healthier alternatives to refined sugar and they make baked goods moister (just remember, no Honey for anyone under 1). Use 3/4 cup of honey or maple syrup for every cup of sugar called for in the recipe. If the flavor of honey or maple syrup is too strong, agave nectar, available in health food stores, is neutral in taste and low on the glycemic index. Use the same quantity you would honey or maple syrup.

White Flour
To give your baked goods a healthy kick, substitute half of the flour with whole grain flour, or swap all of it for lighter whole grain pastry flour. If gluten is the issue, substitute the amount called for in the recipe with soy, rice or nut flours, or oatmeal finely ground into a powder.

Shortening
Few things produce a light, flaky dough quite like shortening. Butter is a close second, but not much better from a health perspective. Coconut oil is a better option because while it's high in saturated fat, it also contains vitamins and minerals that the other two don't. Because it has the same consistency -- solid at room temperature, and easily melted -- the same amount can be used. Skip the variety labeled "virgin," as it has a strong coconut flavor. (I personally love coconut but I guess not on every recipe)

Vegetable Oil
Applesauce is by far the best baking substitute for vegetable oil as it cuts the fat and keeps dough moist. Choose the unsweetened kind, or adjust the amount of sweetener. As a general rule of thumb, add half the amount called for in the recipe.

Nuts
Nuts are pretty healthy, but they're not great for weight loss. Sunflower seeds are a lower-calorie option that still pack a satisfying crunch. Use half of the amount of seeds as you would nuts. Or, cut the quantity of nuts in half and toast them before adding to intensify their flavor.

Chocolate
Chocolate desserts don't have to be sinful. If a recipe calls for sweet or semi-sweet chocolate, substitute heart-healthy dark chocolate in the same quantity. For a dairy-free option, use 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of oil for each ounce of chocolate called for in the recipe
Old 05-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #225  

I hope no one thinks I'm coming off as harsh or naggy when I state the facts of IP. If people want to go away from the program to accommodate their needs or add extras here and there I don't judge, I think whatever you need to do to make it through the program....

I guess I just get irritated when people make up their own rules on how to do IP and then come back day after day, week after week and say "oh I cheated again" or "oh I eat this and that even though it's not on program" but then complain that they aren't losing or aren't losing fast enough etc....

I'm not saying it's anyone in particular, but after being on these boards daily for 5 months sometimes you notice the people that add more extras or bend the rules more are the ones complaining about not losing weight or falling out of ketosis and can't understand why.

I state the IP protocol because it works for me and I've consistantly lost from the beginning...but I have a lot of weight to lose and can't afford to be anything but strict but as I stated above, everybody needs to make their own choices about how they navigate the program...just don't complain about it later lol.
Closed Thread