Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 217/174/150

Height: 5'6

Turnip Chips

I had never eaten turnips until IP. They are now my favorite! Try them. Delicious.

Slice turnips about 1/4 inch thick. A mandoline works perfectly for uniform chips and takes about 10 seconds to slice. Take a nonstick baking sheet and use a pastry brush to coat the pan with the oil of your choice. You could also use baking spray to save some fat calories. Arrange the turnip slices on the pan. Brush the turnip slices with oil. Salt generously with seasalt. Bake at 425 for about 10 minutes per side. You want them to get nice and brown on each side.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #32  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Cauliflower 'Potato' Salad
Serves 6

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into small florets
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 packets sugar substitute
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3 green onions, chopped
1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper or 2 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
salt and pepper

Cook cauliflower in a large pot of boiling salted water 10 minutes, until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Pat dry.

In large mixing bowl, mix mayo, lemon juice, sugar substitute and mustard.

Add cauliflower, green onion and pepper. Mix well until vegetables are evenly coated with dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill 30 minutes for flavors to blend.

-- Atkins Nutritionals

Per serving: 98 calories; 2 grams protein; 8 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 7 grams carbohydrate; 3 grams fiber; 3 milligrams cholesterol; 80 milligrams sodium

Cauli-Flied Rice
Serves 6

2 pounds cauliflower, trimmed
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 fresh green onions, thinly sliced
freshly ground black pepper

Grate the cauliflower, including the core, using the medium holes of a grater or the grater attachment of a food processor. With your hands, squeeze out as much water as you can.

Melt the butter in large, heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until the garlic sizzles. Add the cauliflower, sprinkle with salt and stir-fry until tender-crisp, 5 minutes to 8 minutes. The length of the time will depend on the cauliflower.

Stir in green onions and season to taste with pepper. Check the seasoning and serve.

Note: This goes with almost anything saucy. Try it with crumbled feta, olive oil and chopped tomato on top. The variations are endless: a bit of curry powder, some grated lemon rind to go with fish or some chili powder. For a Pan-Asian taste, add diced cooked meat or shrimp with a splash of soy sauce.

-- "The Low-Carb Gourmet" by Karen Barnaby (Rodale Books, 2004, $35)

Per serving: 85 calories; 1 gram protein; 8 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 4 grams carbohydrate; 2 grams fiber; 20 milligrams cholesterol; 403 milligrams sodium

Basic Cauliflower Mash
Serves 6

2 pounds cauliflower, trimmed
sea salt
1/4 cup whipping cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup cream cheese

Cut the cauliflower, including the core, into 1-inch pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt lightly. Add the cauliflower and cook over medium heat until completely tender, 20 minutes to 30 minutes.

Drain cauliflower in a colander. With a bowl or small plate, press on the cauliflower to remove all water. Toss the cauliflower and continue pressing out the water. This step is very important to the texture of the dish.

Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor. Add the cream and puree until completely smooth. If you like a chunkier texture, mash by hand, adding the cream after cauliflower is mashed. Return to pot.

When you are ready to serve, heat over low heat, stirring constantly. Add the butter, parmesan and cream cheese. Stir until incorporated. Season to taste with salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.

-- "The Low-Carb Gourmet" by Karen Barnaby (Rodale Books, 2004, $35) Per serving: 164 calories; 3 grams protein; 16 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 4 grams carbohydrate; 1 gram fiber; 47 milligrams cholesterol; 102 milligrams sodium
Old 05-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #33  

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cauliflower_popcorn.html

OR.. from the MRS Dash website:

Cauliflower Popcorn
Ingredients:

* 1 head of cauliflower
* 3 Tbsp. (45mL) olive oil
* 2 Tbsp. (30mL) Mrs. Dash® Table Blend

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C).
2. Cut out and discard cauliflower core and thick stems. Trim remaining cauliflower into florets the size of popcorn.
3. Toss thoroughly in a bowl with olive oil and Mrs. Dash® Table Blend.
4. Spread cauliflower on a sheet pan and roast for approximately 60 minutes, or until nicely browned (that's the carmelization process converting the dormant natural sugars into sweetness).
5. Turn three or four times during roasting. The browner the florets, the sweeter they will taste. Serve immediately.

Recipe Summary:

Serves: 8

Serving Size: 3.8 Oz (110.0g)

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 55 min to 1 hr

Nutritional Information:
Calories:71 % of Calories from Fat:63 % Total Fat:5 g Saturated Fat:1 g Unsaturated Fat:4 g Trans Fat:0 g Cholesterol:0 mg Sodium:32 mg Very Low Sodium Recipe! Potassium:318 mg Carbohydrates:5 g Low Carb Recipe! Fiber:3 g Protein:2 g

very low sodium very low sodium
low carb low carb

Recipe Rating:

11 Ratings / 5 Reviews
http://www.mrsdash.com/recipes/recip...x?recipeID=721
Old 06-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #34  

Default Roasted Vegetables

Roasted Vegetables

16 oz. package frozen stir-fry veggies
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh marjoram
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Toss together all ingredients in a large bowl. Spread veggies on baking sheet. Roast 30 to 35 minutes, or until veggies are browned & tender, turning every 10 minutes to make sure they cook evenly.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #35  

Height: 5'8"

carla asked that i post the peach mago smoothie recipe on here so here ya go!

1/2 packet vanilla pudding
1/2 packet peach mango drink
a drop of two of vanilla extract

shake up in shaker, blend well with lots of ice in blender. peach mango smoothie! enjoy
Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 159/148/125

Height: 5.5

Default Turkey Stuffed Green Peppers

6 green peppers (there were kind of large) cut in half and stemmed and seeded. 13x9 in pan with a little bit of Olive Oil rubbed in the bottom. Rub the peppers inside and out with a little Olive Oil and sprinke with Sea Salt. Take a package of ground turkey (I used the kind I get at Costco) and add 1 egg white, 1 tsp Sea Salt, 3 tsp Mrs. Dash - I used the Costco Brand, and 3 TBL Heinz 1 carb ketchup. Stuff the peppers then drizzle with a little bit more olive oil and sprinkle with a little bit more salt. Bake at 400 degrees 45 minutes uncovered. Check to make sure the center gets to 165 degrees before taking out of oven. Everything gets nice and brown and stays very moist! It is like meatloaf in a pepper! My whole family liked it... I served it with a romaine salad and brown rice (for the growing kiddos).
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #37  

Default Turkey Stuffed Peppers

See attached PDF for a recipe with pics This equals your 2 cups of veggies and your 5 oz of protein for dinner.

You can change up the recipe using different meats:

ground turkey
ground chicken
ground beef
ground pork

and different seasonings:

italian: oregano, garlic & onion powder with 1 oz mozza & parm cheese
greek: oregano, garlic, cinnamon & nutmeg with 1 oz feta cheese
asian: chinese five spice, garlic powder & ginger
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Turkey Stuffed Peppers.pdf (2.00 MB, 498 views)
Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

For those of us that love Strawberry Shakes here is one for us

Strawberry Smoothie

8 oz of cold water
4 ice cube
1 pkg of IP strawberry pudding
3 tbsp of WF Strawberry fruit spread

Put all ingredients in a blender and pulse until nice a smooth....YUMMY!!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/145

I just decided to experiment. I took one packet of peach and mango drink and put in the blender with about 7 ounces of water. I added about a cup of ice and two teaspoons of splenda. Lastly, I put in about one teaspoon of orange, sugar-free jello powder. It did not get as thick as I would have liked, but tastes pretty good.

The sugar free jello has 0 fat, 0 sugar and 0 carbs. Do you think this is okay to use?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #40  

Try this rhubarb recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Can't recall who posted this but, it is so GOOD it needs to be here for others to see!

Warm Rhubarb (good for all phases of IP)

Preparing it: I just take 4cups of unsweetened frozen rhubarb (the fresh isn't ready here yet) put it in a microwaveable bowl and add a little Splenda. Then I throw it in the microwave for 10min.(stir it around at about 7min) and then enjoy!
Depending on your microwave it made need more or less time. It will be significantly less in the bowl once cooked because of the water content of the rhubarb.

serving suggestion: Serve with a portion of vanilla pudding as a dessert. Pudding may also be made with less water to get a more "whipping cream" consistency.

Jicama

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2727/2

has 5 net carbs and 2 sugars per cup. a glycemic load of 2 and is a root vegetable that is NON starchy.

As with most non-starchy vegetables, there is no scientific study of the glycemic index of jicama.

I have no protocol information on Jicama. based on what I have been told, we are not allowed root veggies so, without calling my coach, I personally would avoid it. You can see what others say, call your coach, or try it and see the result.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #41  

Default Spaghetti & Meatballs - IP Style

This recipe uses shiritaki noodles, turkey meatballs and a homemade tomato sauce to equal your 5 oz of protein & 2 cups of veggies
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spaghetti & Meatballs.pdf (1.26 MB, 694 views)
Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #42  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

I P stew, made with 6 oz water, is good over cauliflower rice. (Here's a video for the rice: http://video.about.com/lowcarbdiets/...lower-Rice.htm). The cauliflower neutralizes the metallic/saline taste of the stew.

Has anyone discussed the use of nori, or other sea vegetables, in the food blogs. I've used the site's search engine but can't find anything. Or have any of your coaches OKed or recommended them?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 192.8/155.0/148

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywelch View Post
Can anyone suggest how to make IP-friendly rhubarb? I just bought some yesterday for the first time, and want to make sure I don't kill it and ruin it for me forever! Also, jicama isn't listed on the ok, restricted, or never list on my paperwork - is it an ok veggie?
I cut it up in about 1 inch pieces and microwave for about 5 minutes, then mix with a bit of Splenda. It is awesome over grilled chicken.

Stacey
Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/145

Jordanna:
Thanks for the tip about the Chinese five spice. I just happened to see that in the grocery store today and I bought some.

For dinner I boiled two chicken breasts and cut in to small bite size pieces. I heated some plain olive oil in a pan with about a tbsp of soy sauce. I added the chicken chunks, fresh mushrooms and some small chunks of cauliflower. I put in about a half a teaspoon of the Chinese five spice, lots of sea salt, a pinch of garlic and sautéed for about 5-6 minutes. It definitely smelled good while cooking! I filled a bowl with romaine lettuce and put one serving of the chicken mix on top. Awesome!

The best part is I have enough left for three or four more meals. I’ll have to pay attention to your posts for tips on using this spice.

THANKS!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I P stew, made with 6 oz water, is good over cauliflower rice. (Here's a video for the rice: http://video.about.com/lowcarbdiets/...lower-Rice.htm). The cauliflower neutralizes the metallic/saline taste of the stew.

Has anyone discussed the use of nori, or other sea vegetables, in the food blogs. I've used the site's search engine but can't find anything. Or have any of your coaches OKed or recommended them?
I use this product, kelp noodles.
http://www.kelpnoodles.com/products_...e_noodles.html

It doesn't seem to effect me at all. it does have 1 carb and 6 calories per 4 oz serving.

I never asked about using it. I am allowed seaweed, kelp on my food sheet so I just compared and matched the nutritional value of this against other related kelp or seaweed.

The product is truly tasteless when rinsed and has a nice firm texture. It was great with a terriyaki chicken and vegetables!! I have been using it in place of rice or glass noodles.
Closed Thread