Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 235/235/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you like the Pampered Chef Chicken-Broccoli braid...I made something very similar to that and it was good!!

Chicken breasts
Broccoli
garlic
onion
green peppers
Walden Farms Mayo
Sea Salt

I warmed up my chicken, cooked my broccoli and chopped them up with my PC chopper pretty fine. Then I added garlic, onion, peppers and salt. Next I added about 2 Tbsp of Mayo and stirred it up. I didn't wrap it up in the crescent roll like the PC recipe calls for...but I could at least eat the insides of one of my favorite pre-IP meals!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #17  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

link to sites with Kale chip recipes:

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/i...sitting-078886

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/v...e-chips-068449

Kale Chips
adapted from Stacie Billis at ChowMama.com

1 bunch organic kale, torn into 1/2″ pieces
3 tablespoons organic olive oil
1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sea salt

Preheat oven to 400° F. Whisk oil and vinegar and toss kale in the dressing until thoroughly coated.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place kale on sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 15 minutes or so, until crispy.

Tip to keep them crisp from CheekyWit:
I can keep kale chips in a ziploc bag for at least 4-5 days still crisp -- the secret is to make sure they are very dry - remove them immediately from the pan you used to cook them in - lay them on a cooling rack until they are no longer warm - put them in the ziploc -- close the bag leaving it open about an inch -- normally they stay crisp - on day 2 I usually close the bag - hope this helps

Last edited by showgirlaz; 01-27-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added tip from cheekywit to keep them crisp
Old 05-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #18  

When you've got an abundance of zucchini in your garden and you're looking for new zucchini recipes to try, pull this one out.

Baked Zucchini Chips

* 3 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch chips
* 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
* 2 Tbsp. olive oil
* Maldon sea salt or kosher salt and pepper to taste
* 2 oz. crumbled goat cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss zucchini slices with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out on in a single layer on a jelly roll pan. Roast 7 minutes. Turn zucchini over. Roast another 7-8 minutes.

FOR PHASE 3 or 4 oss with goat cheese and serve immediately.

Serves 6.

Read more at Suite101: Baked Zucchini Chips: A great alternative to fried zucchini. http://low-carb-cooking.suite101.com...#ixzz0nEfQSfkW

Last edited by showgirlaz; 05-25-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #19  

To those of you who are missing alcool, and a drink or two, I've done something great when everyone around me is partying and I can't have a drink.
Sprinkle splenda to taste
3-4 leafs of fresh mint
1 splash of Mint Extract
3 splash of Rhum Extract
Lemon juice

Mix all this together with ice. This really taste like a mojito!

2 splash of banana extract
1 splash of coconut extract
1 splash of rhum extract
2-3 lemon slice
1 cup Perrier
1 cup tap water (well you can only put Perrier if you want)

Mix all this together with crushed ice, add splenda if you want, and it taste like Bahamas!!
___

All those extract are in the cake section of the grocery store. Mine are from club house I don't think they have some calories or carbs.. The ingredients are water, propylene glycol, alcohol and artificial flavour. I think that it's allright.. anyway, it's better than cheating!!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

This is my recipe for CHICKEN FRIED "RICE"

1/2 head of cauliflower washed and grated (did it in my food processor and worked)

2 cups of cooked chicken cut into bit size pieces

1 can of mushrooms

1 clove of garlic minced

2 -3 stalkes of celery chopped

1 egg-beaten

reduced sodium soysauce

sea salt

green onions

1 tbsp of olive oil

Place olive oil into large skillet over med-high heat. Add the cauliflower, chicken, mushrooms, garlic & celery to pan, sprinkle with sea salt and cook until

heated through. add the beaten egg, green onions and soy sauce. cook for about 4-5 more minutes.....then enjoy!!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 136/119.5/120

Smile Pickled Vegetables

I made Dilly Beans (Pickled Green Beans) with this recipe before IP, but it is so easy to sub in any other non-restricted vegetable like okra, cucumbers, asparagus, etc.

Equipment Needed

* Stove
* 4 Pint Jars w/2-part lids
* Large Saucepan
* Large Pot for Processing/Sterilization
* Tongs

Ingredients for Dilly Beans

* 2 lbs Fresh Green Beans (or any other vegetable to pickle)
* 1/4 cup Sea Salt
* 2 1/2 cups White Vinegar
* 2 1/2 cups Water
* 4 cloves Garlic
* 4 heads Dill
* 2 large or 4 small Jalapeno Peppers
* 2 tsp Black Pepper

Dilly Directions
Step 1: Place jars and lids in the large pot and cover with water, bring to a boil. Alternatively you can use a dishwasher with a sterilize setting to sterilize your jars.

Step 2: Wash and remove ends form the beans. Slice the garlic and chili peppers.

Step 3: Combine water, vinegar, and salt in large saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer at least 5 minutes.

Step 4: While waiting for the vinegar mixture to boil pack the jars with beans, 1 head of dill, 1 sliced garlic clove, 1/4 of the sliced peppers, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Step 5: Pour the vinegar mixture into each jar until nearly full. Place lids on the jars.

Step 6: Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Step 7: Store in a cool place for at least 2 weeks prior to eating.

Makes 4 Pints
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #22  

ASIAN FLAVORED "RICE"
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 medium fresh cauliflower, about 20 ounces
8 ounces fresh bean sprouts
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 bunch green onions, chopped

Heat the oils in a wok or very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all but the green onions. Stir fry until the cauliflower and bean sprouts are tender, about 5 minutes or so. Add the green onions and stir fry a few seconds, just until heated. Adjust the seasoning to taste.

Makes 6-8 servings
Freezing not recommended

Per 1/6 Recipe: 110 Calories; 7g Fat; 4g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 82 Calories; 5g Fat; 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This is similar to fried rice, but there's no meat or eggs in it.
Picture available at this link.
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/asian_flavored_rice.html
Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #23  

Garlic Lime Marinated Pork Chops

The lime zest gives these chops an extra zing. Adjust the seasoning to your liking. Make these in the broiler or on the grill. Serve this with cilantro lime rice on the side.
Servings: 4 • Cook Time: 8-10 minutes  Points: 6 ww points
• 4 (6 oz) lean boneless pork chops
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1/2 lime, juice of
• lime zest
• salt and fresh pepper
Trim any fat off pork. In a large bowl season pork with garlic, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice and some zest from the lime and let it marinade at least 20 minutes.

Line broiler pan with foil for easy clean up. Place pork chops on the broiler pan and broil about 4-5 minutes on each side or until nicely browned.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 05-26-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #24  

Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken

for the Chicken:
• Zest of a whole lemon
• Juice of ½ a lemon
• 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh rosemary
• 1-½ tablespoons of finely chopped fresh thyme
• 1teaspoon of dried oregano
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 -2 teaspoon Sea Salt
• 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon Freshly cracked Pepper

Preheat oven to 350º. Rinse the chicken and discard the giblets.
Place the chicken on a clean surface. Pat dry with some paper towels.
Meanwhile, take the pan that you’ll be roasting the chicken in and add ½ cup of water
In a bowl, add chopped thyme, lemon zest, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper to the 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil. Mix well. You will rub this under the chicken skin to spread in and on the chicken. Reserve the last bit of olive oil to rub into the skin of the chicken.
With your fingers, loosen the skin on the chicken breasts, legs, and thighs. Rub the herbed mixture into the meat, under the skin (try not to tear all of the skin while doing this.). Be sure to rub the back of the chicken with the oil mixture, and even the cavity of the chicken. You also want to rub the skin of the chicken with the mixture to. I ended up having enough for the whole bird, but if needed, add a bit more olive oil. The oil is mostly to help the chicken brown, add crispness, and a little moisture.

Place the chicken, breast side up in a roasting pan.
Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a thigh registers 180ºF which is about 2 hours into the cooking, or if you’re using the purdue roaster chicken, it should tell you when it’s done. Another way to check if it’s done is by inserting a fork in the chicken. The fork should go in easily and the juices in the chicken should run clear.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #25  

Baked Tilapia In Parchment

It will be quite moist. You can vary the ingredients too. I sometimes use an italian herb style or lemon pepper instead of garlic/ginger. If you put your veggies like zucchini, mushroom, or onion in the parchment they add flavor and cook well. The parchment/foil packet makes for easy clean up. As far as any fishy "smell" burn a nice vanilla candle while cooking it helps a bit with the odors.

Ready In: 30-60 minutes

Ingredients:
2 fish fillets
2 sheets parchment paper (foil will work too)
Olive oil
1 small red pepper cut in thin slices or 1 coarsely chopped tomato
2 teaspoons garlic and/or scallions
Fresh ginger – chopped fine
Salt & pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425F. Put the dried tomatoes in very hot water.

Wash the fillets off and put aside. Take a piece of parchment paper, fold in half and place open on the counter top. Spread a little oil (1-2 teaspoons) on one side, near the crease, in a spot big enough to cover the fish. Place one fillet on this spot of olive oil.

Chop up the scallions (or about one clove of garlic finely chopped very fine and put about 1 tablespoon on the fish). Coarsely chop the tomatoes or make slices of the red pepper and put about a small amount on the fillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you have some ginger, chop it up and sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon on the fillet.

Fold up the parchment around the fish, crimping along the edge. Place on the cookie sheet when done. Repeat for other fillet/s.

Place cookie sheet/s in the oven and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until the parchment is golden brown. Carefully open the parchment to serve.

This plates up very nicely with southern style greens (collards, turnip, mustard, beet) or some wilted spinach. Maybe a side of cauliflower rice or some turnip fries or rutabaga mashed potatoes.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #26  

I hunted and had a hard time finding one that worked for us and was low in fat too. Nearly all of the recipes used a lot of mayo! Just a tip, you can substitute the cauliflower with chopped, boiled turnip or rutabaga once in awhile too!

This is one that uses a little less mayo and works in the hard boiled eggs too.

Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
1 medium head cauliflower (about 4 cups/1 quart florets)
2 hard-boiled eggs
1 medium stalk celery, minced (including leaves)
½ cup chopped green pepper (cooked to meet Ideal Protein standards)
2 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
1/3 cup mayonnaise (Smart Balance Omega 3 mayo)
1 tablespoon prepared mustard (brown or yellow)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
1-2 teaspoons worth sugar substitute
2 tablespoons sugar-free pickle relish (look for mount olives pickles or relish they are splenda sweetened )
Salt and pepper

1. Break or chop the cauliflower into smallish florets. If they are too big, they're difficult to cook so that they have the right "bite" and flavor - the outside tends to overcook.
2. Steam on the stove or microwave florets in a covered container with a small amount of water.
3. Drain and put into a medium bowl. Chop the egg and add. Toss with salt and pepper. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Mix the ingredients for the dressing (mayo, lemon juice, spices, etc.). Taste for the balance of flavors you like. Mix the chopped vegetables and the dressing into the cauliflower and egg mixture. Add chopped fresh herbs if you wish - chives, dill, or parsley work well, but I've even used mint for something different. Garnish with the herb, or sprinkle with paprika. Chill.
Makes 8 servings.

FOUND AT :http://www.low-carbchef.com/Salads_Level_One.html

An alternate that I like but is much higher in fat is by Dana Carpender, in her book 500 low carb recipes.

DANA'S UNPOTATO SALAD
Small-medium fresh cauliflower, about 3 cups cut up
1 cup celery, chopped, about 4 stalks
1 cup red onion, chopped, about 4 ounces or one small-medium onion
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon granular Splenda, or to taste *
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 hard boiled eggs

Cut the cauliflower into bite-size pieces and place in a large casserole. Add 1 tablespoon water; cover and microwave on HIGH about 6-7 minutes, stirring after half the time. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes then drain and return the cauliflower to the casserole. I recommend chilling the cauliflower until it's at least lukewarm before adding the remaining ingredients. Stir in the celery and onions.
Unless the core is very woody, you can cube it and use it along with the rest of the florets

In a small bowl, mix all of the remaining ingredients except the eggs; pour over cauliflower and mix well. Peel and cut the eggs into large chunks. Gently stir into the salad so you don't break up the yolks too much. Chill well before serving.

Makes 8 servings

* I use liquid Splenda equal to about 5 teaspoons granular.

Per Serving: 263 Calories; 25g Fat; 5g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 4.5g Net Carbs
Old 05-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 217/174/150

Height: 5'6

Roasted Zuchini

Slice zuchini into rounds about 1/4 of an inch thick. For best results, use a mandoline for uniform slices. Take a pastry brush and brush a large nonstick baking sheet with the oil of your choice. Arrange your zuchini on the pan in a single layer and brush with oil. Add seasalt generously. You want the zuchini to cook on each side until golden brown and crispy, about 7 minutes per side. The zuchini cooks down considerably so I usually make 2 batches.

Preheat oven to 450.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

MOCK POTATOE SALAD

First thing I do is take the WF Mayo out of the jar and mix it with enough mustard to give it a nice yellow colour, add some sea salt and put it back in the jar. This makes it more tasty!!!

1/2 bag (2kg) or large bag of frozen cauliflower
4 boiled eggs, mashed
6 radishes diced
2 green onions, chopped
1 stalk of celery, sliced in small pieces
1/2 cup of chopped cucumber
1/4 cup of green pepper, chopped
fresh or frozen dill weed, chopped fine OR
1 tps. of dried dill weed ( or to taste)
sea salt
pepper
1/2 cup of WF Mayo

Cook frozen cauliflower until fork tender, drain and mash. Let cool
Mix the mashed egg and all the veggies with the cooled cauliflower.
Add the WF mayo (that has the mustard added) and mix
Add sea salt, pepper and dill weed (these should be added to your taste)
Mix well and store in fridge.
Very Yummy!!!
And what would summer be without Potatoe Salad!!!!!

Last edited by Journeysend; 05-27-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #29  

Baby Bok Choy with Garlic and Shrimp

You could add a bit of ginger or even a touch of lemon juice or soy to the recipe.

Ingredients:

4 oz. bok choy mui/baby bok choi (cleaned and rinsed)
1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 cup peeled baby shrimps
3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)

Method:

Heat up a wok with the cooking oil and saute the chopped garlic until light brown or aromatic. Add the baby shrimps and stir-fry until the shrimps are half-cooked. Add in a pinch of salt to the shrimp, and then follow by the baby bok choy. Quickly stir-fry the vegetables, dish out and serve hot.

Cook’s Notes:

1. Do not overcook your vegetables. They should retain the vitality and crunchiness.
http://rasamalaysia.com/baby-bok-cho...ic-and-shrimp/
Old 05-29-2010, 03:22 AM   #30  

SOUP PACKET TIPS!!

The soups are strong, sometimes grainy and have a funny smell, all by themselves (I really think it's ok for me to have an opinion too, even though I may have to answer for all of my comments!)... anyway, I use the soups as a base for other foods, and they are just a life saver, but I can honestly say I never eat them by themselves. Here's a few things to try: 1) mix them the night before, in a jar and let them sit. 2) always dilute them with broth from granules or cubes, dissolved - this gives more servings and less concentrated grain-iness from the protien source, and 3) just heat up one cup at a time, more than 8 ounces or so isn't going to be tasty. Just use it as a quick snack, warm up... etc., and it can be a nice change from drinks and cold foods. You really can get a lot of benefit from the soups, they're very low carb and easy to stretch with broth and vegies. Give it a try !

Super Soup: In a basket steamer, lightly steam broccoli, asparagus, spinach, kale, cauliflower, or a combo of these. Mix the chicken soup in a shaker and put the veggies and soup in a blender. Puree. while blending add spices: suggest curry powder, coriander, cayenne pepper, cumin and/or sea salt. Heat in a sauce pan.
Closed Thread