General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 05:49 PM   #16  
Uber-Moderator!!

Post Lunges - check L&S message board

Shelly --

I just posted your query on L&S' message board - already received some replies...you may want to go check!

Susanje - do you still buy those name-tapes for sewing into clothes?? I remember helping Mom with that before going to camp!! I have great memories of sleep over camp, especially riding camp and (strangely enough) the weight-loss camp I attended when I was 17. Fun!

Last edited by MrsJim; 07-05-2001 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:59 PM   #17  

MrsJim: SHARPIES!!! I couldn't sew a button on a shirt, let alone labels and things. Without sharpies, I would die.

Michelle: You shouldn't eat before cardio so if you can, try to schedule cardio for days you can go right to the gym. I was on BFL a few weeks before I got my scheduling right (actually I was in the second half of the challenge). If you can manage to do cardio first thing (do 20 MAS or HIIT outside?), that would be great. I do weights any time as I cannot do weight training on an empty stomach. I eat light about an hour before (cottage cheese and fruit or myoplex...nothing with meat in it).

For first meal I usually have a myoplex vanilla lite with a half cup of coffee and some cinnamon. I also do oatmeal, protein powder, splenda, butter buds and cinnamon or wheat toast and egg beaters. I also do an oatmeal thingy where I cook up steel cut oats, add soy protein powder, egg beaters, cinnamon and splenda and bake it all together. Due to a recent post on L&S I am going to add ff/sf vanilla pudding to this (I think this is what it's been missing!!!) I cook this in a glass baking dish and the refrigerate so I can grab it and go each morning. I've tried adding blueberries but then you need more protein! Sometimes if I'm low on protein I'll add one or two turkey sausage links to my meal. Other people do cottage cheese and fruit. I tend to fall back on my myoplex. I'm the MRP queen.

Re: lunges. One answer: LEG PRESS!!! Only kidding, but I have such bad hip stability I can do it all on the leg press. I agree that lunges and squats are probably more effective but not if you cannot get the form down and the damn bar is swaying all over the place. With dumbbells I fall over when I do a lunge. I find that with presses if I put my feet high on the plate, low on the plate, feet narrow, feet wide, toes pointing in, toes pointing out, I can work every part of my quads, hams, glutes and even my calves (suggested by Chuck which is why I've dubbed this chuck bootcamp). I'm a leg pressin' fool. I do the hack squat machine after the leg press and then I stumble around for a while. I love leg curls too for the hams and extensions for the quads. I wish I could get more free weights into my routine but for now I'll take this. I do free weights as my second set a lot of time (deadlifts and lunges) but my primary is usually on the machine. I know the big boys advocate squats as the number one LBWO exercise but hey, I'm not a big boy.

Susan
Old 07-05-2001, 07:01 PM   #18  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Hi Michelle...

First off, no need to thank me - but I'm glad you're aboard!

I'm going to try and answer some of your ?'s. If I know Susanje, she'll pop in as well!

Eating - since I don't really eat salads that often (I have to have bread with a salad - so I just eat veggies like carrots and mushrooms) I think it would be safe to say that you could use pretty much any fat-free/low-cal dressing. Some people who use flaxseed or EFA oils make salad dressing with them (I just take the capsules myself).

For breakfast - I have a Myo Lite an hour after my workout, then two - three hours later I'll have cottage cheese and fruit as Meal #2.

BTW, I usually eat the same thing every day during the work week. I'm a creature of habit I guess!

Exercise - Ideally, the best time to work out is in the morning on an empty stomach (Check the Hussman site for some more tips on that) but I suppose as long as you're getting it DONE...

Supplements - I wouldn't count Myoplex as a supplement - it's a meal replacement. You really don't NEED to take supplements on BFL. In fact, Pam B (see the L&S Transformation gallery) didn't even take supplements at first. I'm taking a multivitamin, Glutamine (Labrada brand), and creatine (via Betagen - then I'm going to plain old creatine). No theromogetic 'fat burners' for me - I don't even think they work...

Lastly the Challenge - no, you don't have to formally join the BFL challenge (I did just for extra motivation). Whether you do or not, I STRONGLY recommend taking some before pix of front and back (and maybe side) a day or two before starting your personal Challenge. Sometimes it takes pictures to see the progress you've made!!! (PS - I meant to truly appreciate your strides, NOT because the progress will be minimal - maybe at first - just check my 8 week progress pix out on L&S and you can see I really didn't seem to be making much progress by Week 4. However, in Week 8 I really showed significant improvements - can't wait to take next week's Week 12 pix!!!)

PS - BTW, did you guys read that in Pam B's latest pix, she weighs 155 pounds and is a size 4 at 7% BF??? Now - time to toss those scales!!

Last edited by MrsJim; 07-05-2001 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:49 PM   #19  

This is true. I weighed 140 at the height of my best-shape-of-my-life era. Lifting of course but not body building competition lifting...I was "fooling around" by today's standards and my diet was just low fat...nothing elaborate. I was a size 6 and I think I went below that at one point. According to every chart, 140 is still very overweight for my size. Not when it's all muscle!! Now that I'm more than 10 years older than that I can't believe I have to work twice as hard to make the progress I made then by half-assing it.

Oh salad dressings: yes, I use a no fat ceasar that I just love. I do salad and chicken breast. I save containers (like the size that a large ricotta cheese comes in) and throw it in there and shake it up (when I'm on the road) and it is fabulous.

Supplements: I just do a multivitamin, calcium and glutamine. I was doing creatine but I found it made me gassy. I don't like that a bit!

Challenge: I am officially entered (I need to check this because I haven't developed my pix and need to know if there is a deadline) but I agree with mrsjim....PIX are important!!!!!!!!!!

At the rate we're posting, we'll need a new thread every day!!!

Susan
Old 07-06-2001, 08:59 AM   #20  

Michelle- I have not officially joined the challenge. Too much work for me to send in the essay stuff! I just took some pictures, though for my own records. By the way, I eat 5 hard boiled egg whites and a cup of oatmeal everyday for breakfast. I eat about the same things everyday, maybe just adding a Myoplex replacement sometimes. Yesterday, I was not able to even get a Myoplex in. I had gone over to my parent's house for my girls to go swimming, and had to have a FF cheese sandwich instead. Also, I will probably have to change my workout schedule when I go back to work. I am out until July 24, and I have to be at work at 6:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I might have to do cardio in the afternoons when I get home. I usually get up at 4:AM to do the weights, anyway!

Susanje- Thanks for the info on HIIT. I had no idea, even though I did print out the thing from Shawn Phillips awhile back.

Mrs. J- Thanks for posting the question at L&S. I'll go look it up. I've been reading the message board everyday over there. I don't want to look too much like an idiot when I post the questions there! I think I will ask them about stretching, though. I haven't seen where Bill suggests it at all, and to me it is a very important part of a workout.Pam. B weighs 155??? Unbelievable!!

Blastit- It's encouraging to know that you haven't shown a change up until now!! Let me know what happens when you weigh and measure!
Old 07-06-2001, 09:16 AM   #21  

Sounds like everyone has a plan and is sticking to it.

I have almost the samething everyday too. Egg whites, ff cheese, ff ham, Whey Protein Shake, Chicken with a carb, protein shake, lean beef with carb, cottage cheese and fruit. The free day really helps stay on the program.

I go home from work on empty stomach and do my aerobics, then wait and hour to eat. The days I do weight training, I eat wait an hour then do my weight training. This has worked out good so far. I am going to change my weight training routine next week just to change things around. I think after I use up all my Whey Protein I am going to buy some Myoplex. I have tried several meal replacement bars and everyone I have tried have been awful. I haven't been able to eat more than a couple of bites. I have been taking a multiple vitamin, but thinking about adding creatin and Glutamine.

I did see Pam B's new pictures on L&S WOW! She looks awesome, she is a true testimonial for this program. I think she used some Phen-Free along the way according to one of her post. She looks great!

Susan-blastit
Old 07-06-2001, 09:30 AM   #22  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Meal Replacement Bars

So far my favorite is the Pure Protein bar - noticed they come in different sizes - Trader Joe's sells the smaller ones.

For me, the MRB's are a necessity for Meal #4 and also when I'm at the ranch as there is no electricity up there...

I thought about using Phen-Free but since it has St. John's Wort I don't want to risk getting pregnant - that herb can reduce the effectiveness of some birth control pills...

Gotta hit the shower! Later you guys!!
Old 07-06-2001, 09:35 AM   #23  

Mrs. Jim-Just read the posts at L&S. 26 responses! Wow!! I think my question was answered! It works both!
Old 07-06-2001, 06:49 PM   #24  

Angry

Well had my first session at the gym with the trainer and she showed me the machines. I had told her that I am really interested in the free wts and BFL and she made another appt. for next friday to go over them. I have been studying the book and my hubby and I went out and bought some low wt. dumbells to practice form with. I just found after (after being with him for 10 years now ?!?) that he was really into body building in his late teens/early twenties, so I have a wealth of knowledge right in my own home! I did the cardio training and am bushed. But am really feeling great!

We also went to GNC and bought some MYOPLEX and were really surprised at how much it costs!! I am a little set back at this but am trying to ignore those negative feelings that creep up. I purchased the lite ones and tried one and found it very sweet and very syrupy. Have you found this as well? Do you use one whole pkg for every meal replacement? I am thinking of cutting it in half as it seems to be too sweet for me. Please give me your opinions.

Well, gotta run as the kids want to go out in the fresh air!

Talk to you soon.
Michelle
Old 07-06-2001, 07:21 PM   #25  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Myoplex Lite

Hi Michelle -

First off, don't buy your Myoplex at GNC - that is the most expensive place to get it! Try www.vitaglo.com (FREE SHIPPING!) or www.netrition.com for the best prices.

You thought that the Myoplex was 'too syrupy and sweet'...hmm. Did you make it in a blender? I use 12 oz. water, a cup of cracked ice and 1 envelope of Myo Lite. I have not actually tried the regular Myoplex - I've only bought the Lite. OH - did you get the Ready To Drink?? I really wouldn't recommend it, taste-wise. I tried one once - and it was pretty awful. I LOVE Myo Lite - I bought a bunch of the 42-serving "Neopolitan Variety Packs". Paid $1.16 or so per serving. If you want to lose bodyfat, I'd go with the Myo Lite.

If you cut the Myo Lite in half, you won't be getting enough calories/protein/carbs. One envelope has 180 calories - 90 isn't going to be enough to keep you going!

Susanje's favorite flavors are (I believe) Orange Jubilee and (maybe) Capuchino Ice - I haven't tried either one of those yet. I have only tried choc/van/strawberry and love them all!

Susan also makes the Myoplex Pudding - by cutting the water down a bit and adding a couple of spoonfuls of fatfree/sugarfree instant pudding mix. (Me, I keep forgetting to pick it up at the store!)

And you don't NEED to use Myoplex - if you want to use another MRP, just make sure the protein/carbs/calories are similar. I know from reading the Lean & Strong board that many people are partial to Designer Protein, which is sold at Trader Joes, or Met-Rx, which you can get at Safeway and Trader Joe's. I believe that if you're using Designer Protein you have to have a carb with it (such as a piece of fruit) to equal one of your six meals.

Whew! Back to work...
Old 07-06-2001, 07:28 PM   #26  

Myoplex...lemme tell you about Myoplex

If you buy the regular (yes MrsJim Orange Jubilee is my favorite!) you can cut it in half and add a carb. It's 42 grams of protein and 21 of carb so you cut it in half and you save money that way.
If you buy the lite Don't Cut It In Half, but there are many things you can do with it.

Buy it on the Web!!! I rarely buy at GNC but I had to buy Met Rx at Safeway the other day because I was out of vanilla and cannot live without vanilla. My order from netrition had not yet arrived.

Old 07-06-2001, 07:34 PM   #27  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default I NEVER buy at GNC...

...to me it's just there 'in case of emergency'.

Even on that 'Gold Card' day (first Tuesday of the month...why they pick a day that coincides with the rent payment, I'll never know) you still pay significantly more than you would anywhere else.

In fact, the only reason I go in there at all is to chat with the hilarious wiseguy who works at the one in my local mall. Even HE said GNC's prices are way too high (as well as telling a female customer buying a 'miracle diet pill' that she was wasting her money because the product didn't work - of course she bought the product anyway... )
Old 07-06-2001, 09:08 PM   #28  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Just got my Netrition order today...

and I was amazed at how wonderfully they packed it. I was worried about ordering the Myo lo-carb bars because it it so hot here, i was afraid they would melt. But they wrapped it in an insullating wrapper with a chemical ice-pack inside! Also got some Labrada glutamine, La Tortilla's and a free T-shirt

Had a killer LBWO today then worked in the yard mowing, pulling weeds, spreading mulch around plants, etc. School started yesterday: so between school, work,gym and the garden I'll keep busy this Summer. I love it!!!
I did sign up for the challenge just to be able to say (to myself) that I did it. Got the official form in the mail today~finally.

Looks like everybody is doing great. Gotta go check out L&S. See ya
~~~Sil
Old 07-06-2001, 10:36 PM   #29  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Are we all doing the same thing???

Going back and forth between 3FC and L&S???

I thought I was the only one!!! Lots of great people and info...wish 3FC had a 'transformation gallery' too!

I would say to those of you out there lurking on this thread - if you haven't done so already - do check out www.leanandstrong.com, if only to check the Transformation Gallery and the Playspace pix! The new series of Pam B is just mindblowing!! What an inspiration she is!!!

Another nice thing about L&S is the fact that it seems to be about evened up as far as male-female ratio of board 'regulars'. 3FC is more female-oriented, because after all most people on diets are women - makes sense. L&S also moves at a much faster pace than the nice leisurely pace we have here at 3FC. The best of both worlds!

I've got to say, I don't remember ever being on a 'diet' that was this easy to do for such a long period of time. Right now, knowing that I have the FREE WEEK - where I can splurge once in awhile - and a week off to boot, is helping me stay on my 'clean' foods that I've come to really enjoy and look forward to!

I was a vegetarian for 8 years - mostly to try and keep my Optifast weight loss off - worked at first but I was eventually eating WAY too much bread (mostly). Just before starting BFL, I decided to eat chicken and meat again. And I have to admit, I really have a lot more energy - because I'm getting in more protein than I have for a LONG time. If you check my Fitday journal back to, say, January/February, you'll notice that I was eating a LOT of carbs!

Also, just had to add this - this month is the first time in years that I haven't had a migraine headache on Day 1 of my TOM! I feel great in fact - partly due to switching BCP, and partly because of BFL (my opinion of course).

Since this is the end of Week 11 ( ) and I will be ending on Thursday - I am so excited that I was able to stick with it for 12 weeks - but it was easy for me to stick to, since I was actually spending a LOT less time in the gym! In fact, on weight days I usually don't show up until around 5 a.m. - on cardio days, well, I admit I like to watch Early Today at 4:30 a.m. so I get there around 4:30 or so, but I'm out of there by 5:30 (after 20 minutes of heavy cardio, 5 minutes of cool-down, 3 minutes of stretching and 15 minutes of Ab Boot Camp) Before I was in there for two hours or more!

Being able to get on the EAS Training Zone and have my exercises planned helped this time as well, but for C2 I am definitely going to get creative and try some of that new stuff, as well as lift more weight and get stronger!

Well, I see I'm rambling so I'll close this novel!!!
Old 07-06-2001, 10:42 PM   #30  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Wow!

I just won a set of electronic fat calipers from Mohawk Man!!

Wow! I didn't think I had a chance. Those bodyfat calipers were top-rated in Muscle Media's last issue!

When I get 'em, I'll let you all know how well they work. I believe they retail for about $40. I have just been using the traditional plastic Accu-Measure which is supposed to be pretty accurate and is easy to use, but I did want to give those newfangled ones a try!
Closed Thread