General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 11:37 PM   #31  

Thanks for the great ideas regarding Myoplex. I guess I should have clarified that I live in Vancouver, Canada and at the GNC they charge 73.99 per box which contains 20 pouches -
I bought some to try out but was trying to figure how I was going to keep this going for the next 12 weeks and onwards. I will look into the online ordering and see with the exchange rate and delivery how much it will be.

Mrs. Jim: Congrats on the fat calipers. I had my body fat checked today at the gym and they were saying it was 36%. But I have to admit I think that is too low. Last year, I was weighed on a scale that measures bf and it came out at 46%. So this afternoon I went to fitness depot and they had these scales there ($289.00 a pop - yikes) but got to try it and weighed out at 46%bf. They were saying that the accuracy rate is within 2%. I will be contacting the local university to see if I can have it done the water immersed method way. I guess I should mention that I am currently 236lbs (5'8") so that's why I am thinking i am leaning towards the 46%. They also said that the calipers are the least effective method. How did all of you measure your bf?

Well, gotta go.
Michelle.
Old 07-07-2001, 12:28 AM   #32  
Uber-Moderator!!

Cool Tanita bodyfat scale

I own one of those body fat scales and I hate it! While it is accurate as far as scale weight, it's WAY off on bodyfat.

That body fat scale is universally detested by L&S as well. Consumer Reports also gave it a failing grade...

The only thing I trust is calipers - they are the 'gold standard' next to hydrostatic weighing (as well as much more convenient). I'm excited about getting the electronic ones - but you can get a perfectly serviceable FREE set of plastic calipers from Netrition if you order (I think) over $100 worth of items in one shipment. I ordered a bunch of Myo Lite from them, then ordered another bunch from Vitaglo. Netrition was a tad more expensive but their service was a bit faster...

Anyway check out the new issue of Muscle Media and they did a GLOWING review on this electronic babies, so I'm looking forward to testing them out - and like I said, I'll report back to you guys!
Old 07-07-2001, 06:54 AM   #33  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Way to go MrsJim~~~

I saw that you tied for the calipers and he happened to have 2 of them. What luck! I would love to know how they compare (in numbers) to the other one that you have.

You won't believe this, but yesterday I was going to say that I didn't have my monthly migraine and TOM hit me by surprise! I think that all the exercise has something to do with it. I have always read that exercise can help migraines but who wants to exercise when your head is pounding,you're nauseated, and your eyeball feels like it wants to explode(I always get it behind one eye). But whatever the reason, I am very grateful.

I have today off from work (but i do have to work tomorrow). This will be the first Saturday that I don't have to get up at 3:30AM to do cardio. Hope the gym isn't too busy.

Ya'll have a wonderful weekend
~~~Sil
Old 07-07-2001, 09:47 AM   #34  

Mrs. J- I agree--I wish there was a way to go back and forth easily from here to L&S! Congratulations on winning the calipers.

Michelle- I get my Myoplex from Vitamin World. They also have a website, but I'm not sure if they compare in price to the ones that everyone has mentioned here. If you bought vanilla cream, try it with about 2 cups of ice and some frozen blueberries. Delicious!!

Went to an outlet mall all day yesterday, and didn't have my 2nd meal until 4:30! I gulped down a piece of turkey and ff cheese. I never did get all my meals in. Couldn't eat anything there because they were sooo expensive! Had to buy a bottle of water for $1.85 at GNC. Ridiculous!! I couldn't face any MRP's. I haven't found any that I can take more than 1 bite of. I wish we could have Lunas!

Mrs.J- Why is it that we can have lean meat, but can't have chicken thighs? I would think the fat content would be about the same. I have been having this a couple of times a week for dinner, and didn't realize that we are only allowed breast meat. I know breast meat has virtually no fat, but I really want to be able to make this a way of life, and I don't know if I can handle only the breast.

Sil- I'm gonna checkout your meals on fitday. I don't have the time to log food in over there. It takes so long to do!
Old 07-07-2001, 03:58 PM   #35  
GARDENING ADDICT

Shelly~~~It's very easy to go back and forth between 3FC's and L&S if you bookmark the sites to your "favorites" and just click on it when you want to switch over. Also, as far as fitday: if you eat alot of the same food items, once you enter it once then all you have to do is click on it the next time because it stores your choices under "customized" or "recently entered". You can change the amount eaten if needed. It's very easy
Good luck~~~Sil
Old 07-07-2001, 05:24 PM   #36  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Actually, I do go back and forth a lot!

All you do is open up two internet 'windows' and have one here at 3FC, one at L&S - then just shift/tab to go between one and the other...

Shelley- easy answer on the chicken thigh vs. breast question...Dark meat has more calories and fat than white meat.

Example from Fitday:

1 oz boneless skinless chicken breast contains 45 calories, less than 1 gram of fat, and 8.61 grams of protein;

while 1 oz boneless skinless chicken THIGH contains 58 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 7.02 grams of protein.

I also do the same thing with Fitday as Sil does - All my meals are customized so it's a snap entering my food (unless I eat something unusual)!

Gotta hit the shower and I'm WAY behind on my eating - was with the horses all morning and most of the early afternoon...
Old 07-07-2001, 05:37 PM   #37  
GARDENING ADDICT

A question for anybody ~~LaBrada glutamine says that there is 5gms per scoop. But the jar did not come with a scoop.So, is a scoop a tablespoon? a teaspoon?
Old 07-07-2001, 06:19 PM   #38  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Don't worry - the scoop is in there!

I didn't find the scoop for my Betagen until about 1/2 way through it!

I just looked at mine (it's a little blue scoop with a long handle) and it looks to be about 1 1/2 teaspoons. So...until you unbury that embedded scoop - use a measuring spoon!
Old 07-07-2001, 07:05 PM   #39  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default thanks gal, I found it...

way down at the bottom. having some now with my Diet Splash.
Old 07-08-2001, 09:49 AM   #40  

Today is day 21. Free day. I weighed and measured. Shouldn't have. Weight back up to where I started, and no inches lost from last week. Very discouraging! I'm almost afraid to take the free day. I jogged 4 miles this morning, then biked to see how far I'd gone. It was nice to do a regular pace!
Old 07-08-2001, 11:01 AM   #41  

Take the free day and stop weighing and measuring.

Old 07-08-2001, 02:33 PM   #42  

Sil or Mrs. J-What does NFS mean on the foods on Fitday? I thought it meant nonfat, but not so!
Old 07-08-2001, 07:42 PM   #43  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default I've been trying to figure it out myself!

The closest that I can figure it's some unit of measurement. I looked up Cheddar cheese and the measurements were 1 cup, NFS (378.48 calories); 1 cup, diced (468.92 calories) 1 cup, melted (817.26); 1 cup, shredded (378.48 - same as NFS!), etc.

Of course depending on how you prepare cheese, more or less will fill a cup. Since melted cheese is basically pure fat and there is no extra space or air in the cup, it has denser calories. A cup of shredded cheese has a lot more air between the shreds and takes up more space.

So I still don't know what the letters stand for - but I've taken it to mean a default measurement. That's ONLY my opinion though!
Old 07-09-2001, 02:02 AM   #44  

Default Starting tommorrow

Well, I have spent the whole weekend organizing and planning for my husband's and my official start of challenge 1 tommorrow. It does take a whole heap of planning. I just finished my meal plan for the next 6 days for the whole family and typed up our measurements, goals for 12 weeks and finished my workout plan. It is 11pm and I am ready for bed now!

I took my BF% as I got an accu measure caliper and my measurement was 42mm. This of course if off the chart
I sent the company an email to ask what this translates too but I thought I'd ask you gals as well. Any ideas?

Well gotta hit the hay. Night all.

Michelle.
Old 07-09-2001, 07:28 AM   #45  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Good morning everybody!!!

Michelle~~~I went to the www.hussman.com/caliper.htm and entered your suprailiac of 42mm based on your age of 32(?) and it said you are 38.2%, give or take alittle.You can use this site as an easy way to calculate your body fat: just plug in the info that it asks and it does all the figuring for you.

You are right about BFL taking alot of planning, but anything worth doing right does take some planning. As you go along, you will continue to plan ahead but it won't take that much time at all.
On my free day I put the copies of my progress reports together for the week (ie. UBWO-LBWO-UBWO ). I don't make copies of the cardio sheet (too much paper to use up ) but I include that at the bottom of my workout page. Now that I've been using the elliptical for cardio, I include the incline and resistance levels so that I can strive to improve each week. And I love using the fitday site. To me, all of this planning is wonderful reinforcement . So, good luck Michell and have FUN with it:wink:

This is middle of week 8 and I'm starting to notice changes in my body. My weight has stayed constant (122-123) but my arms are really getting toned. My DH said that when I move around normally that you can see the definition in my biceps and triceps. When I run my hand down my other arm, I can feel the new difference in the tone/leanness. I can't wait until this moves its way down to my butt. Of course i know that will take time, since it didn't get that size overnight. :blush:

I can't wait until tomorrow~I'm really looking forward to doing my squats and lunges with the smith machine!!! OMG, I think I'm becoming a gym rat!

Ya'll have a great day~~~Sil
Closed Thread