General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 07:37 AM   #46  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default MrsJim, about your fitday entries...

I've noticed that you don't eat very many vegetables or salads. You sometimes have one serving of veggies at lunch but you don't include any others with dinner. Do you have anything with your chicken breast at dinner such as pasta,potato,veggies or salad? If not, WHY? And if you do, why don't you include them in your daily log? Just curious~Sil
Old 07-09-2001, 08:41 AM   #47  

Sil-Re:Fitday- I have noticed that sometimes your calories for the day are under 1000. I was under the impression that we are supposed to have about 1500 per day. This may be why nothing has shown up for me. I am your same height and about the same age (48). How did you figure your calorie count?

Michelle-Good luck today!! We are all here to help!
Old 07-09-2001, 09:13 AM   #48  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Veggies

Sil - I try to eat two servings of veggies each day (minimum). Not always easy...but here's how I do it:

Lunch - most of the time at work, I'll have the same thing for lunch - a grilled chicken rice bowl from a Japanese fast-food restaurant called Mydashi. They know exactly how I like mine made: brown rice; very light sauce; extra veggies (they put pickled cukes and cabbage on it - for me, they PILE it on - yum!)

Mondays and Tuesdays I usually make "Joes Special" for dinner (make it on Monday - eat it two nights). The recipe includes spinach, but I also toss in an 8 oz package of sliced mushrooms (I don't have time to slice 'em so I pay extra for presliced!). Onions are good in that as well - add flavor.

My regular meals #2, #3 and Joe's Special I customized on FitDay so I wouldn't have to keep entering each separate ingredient over and over again. That is so cool!

The nights I have chicken breast - I usually have it with brown rice. For veggie, I will saute some sliced mushrooms (yes, I love 'em!) with some Pam and a little water, or grab a couple of carrots. I don't always include the carrots on FitDay (guess I should though). I always keep a lot of carrots in the fridge for the horses - not those baby carrots though - I really prefer the regular sized carrots for flavor.

I don't eat a lot of salad because I absolutely HAVE to have croutons and other stuff, along with some sourdough bread which I tend to go overboard on big time! In fact for Free Day yesterday, rather than go out to eat (we did for breakfast as usual though) I BBQ'd a London Broil and baked potatoes, sliced mushrooms (OK, I know I'm a big mushroom fan!), and made a loaf of garlic bread. Last night before I went to bed I tossed the leftover bread in the disposal (much to Jim's chagrin - but he understood why though).

The smith machine rules! I did my squats & lunges on the Smith. Much better than doing dumbbell lunges IMHO. I could really feel it working!

This Thursday is the last day of my Challenge - then it's off to Yosemite. Jim wants to take my 12-week pix there in the Valley...I want to take them before we leave on Thursday - we'll see!
Old 07-09-2001, 10:04 AM   #49  

Sunday morning I weighed and measured, drum roll please,
I am down 6 lbs and 5 and half inches overall. I can't remember each inch but the ones that made the biggest difference was an inch in my waist, 1 1/2 off my hips, I forgot to bring my list to work, but I lost in my arm, thigh, and calf too. Needless to say I am one happy BFL'r. This is the beginning of week 5 for me, I will not weigh and measure again until after week 8.

Susan - blastit
Old 07-09-2001, 03:26 PM   #50  
GARDENING ADDICT

Congratulations Blastit~you are making wonderful progress!!!

MrsJ~~~Thanks for the clarification on your veggies. Just looking out for you I think you should take some pics at home AND in Yosemite. You should be so proud of what you have accomplished!

Shelly~~~Based upon my BMR (basal metabolic rate) which you can determine over at www.hussman.com I should be eating bet 1240-1420 cals a day. This is if I want to lose fat and build muscle/tone. I don't intentionally eat 975 cals, that was the day that I helped my neighbor move and I couldn't eat as often. This past week I ranged from 975-1734 cals. Other than Sat & Sun, which I work, I usually get up bet 6:30-7:00AM and sit at the computer with a few cups of coffee. I'm at the gym by 9Am, so my first meal isn't until about 11:00. It's not perfect but it works for me.
~~~Sil
Old 07-09-2001, 09:31 PM   #51  

Hi, there BFL Team!

I haven't been checking the posts lately and wow! Have you been active! Thanks, Michelle, for all your questions - got lots of ideas from reading everyone's answers!

I've had a rough time lately - I fell off around the 4th - took a couple extra days of vacation and ended up not eating right at all - a 3 day "off day" ...oops. But got right back on, except I'm also having a terrible time with my allergies. I get horrible sinus headaches - really difficult to lift or run when your head is pounding...another reason I haven't been on the boards - hard to look at a computer screen too. Then with all the antihistimines I'm taking (my allergy shots won't be up to full strength for 7 weeks! had to start over because I had to change primary care doctors to get back into my allergist, etc. etc etc.) I'm feeling REALLY cranky!

So I'm trying to not be concerned about the official challenge that I signed up for. I'm in this truly for life, so it shouldn't matter if things are a little slow this summer while I get through this stupid allergy season. I'll do what I can each day, keep on the food program and when I'm feeling better I'll go for another 12 week challenge. In the meantime, my goal is to get daily exercising the BFL way a regular part of my life.

Take care, good to see you all so "pumped" ! Cris
Old 07-10-2001, 12:51 AM   #52  

Angry Hello!

Well it is the end of day one and I will be soon making my delicious shake. I did my first day of aerobics and am beat and have planned my upper body workout for tommorrow.

Sil, thanks for the info on the BF%. Unfortunately, that link is not working but I will check out the hussman site. I actually got a response from the "caliper people" (accu measure) and they said for every additional mm you need to add .25% . So for me that would be an additional 1.5% bringing me to 37.9% which is pretty close to what you stated.

I guess the only thing that "worries" me is the amount of food I eat all day. It seems so much. That diet paranoia setting in I guess. For eg. how much is a portion of cottage cheese? What the heck is a palm sized portion of that? I was first thinking 1/2 cup then maybe it is 1 cup (i'm hoping it is the latter).

We'll see ya tommorrow.
Michelle.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:16 AM   #53  
GARDENING ADDICT

Cris~~~I'm sorry to hear that you have been feeling yucky But I hope you are in the BFL swing of things real soon.

Michelle~~~ Opps! I goofed on that caliper site. It is www.hussman.com/eas/caliper.htm
But check out the www.hussman.com site also because there is a ton of info there. I think that is where i also did my BMR. Congratulations on starting BFL, gal! Believe it or not, you will love how it makes you feel~just hang in there.

Well, I have class this morning and then I can hit the gym. I'm so excited about finally using the smith machine in my routine. I just loved it when I tried it out.For the rest of my challenge I'll be doing squats and lunges on it, so hopefully there will be some results in the lower half of my body.

MrsJ~~~3 more day, gal!

Susanje~~~hope you are enjoying your company. How is C2 going?
Old 07-10-2001, 09:01 AM   #54  

Michelle,

For the things you find hard to measure, do the following:

figure out the grams of protein you should have at each meal (lean body weight divided by 6) and then look up in a food count book how much that is for a food you find difficult to measure using the fist/palm measurement (1/2 cup, cup etc or by weight 3 oz etc) and then put the food in the measuring cup or on the scale and look at it. Do this a few times until you can "eyeball" the correct amount. Then try it a few times on your own...scoop out the portion you think is correct and then measure it to see how close you came. I did this about mid C1 because I thought I was eating too much. I actually was not eating enough and my portions were actually too small.

Sil: Thanks for asking. I haven't been eating clean but not terribly bad. My eating is way off. Friends here invited us to barbeques and out to eat a bunch of times and my friend wanted to go to California Farmer markets and pick your own fruit so I have had an extraordinary amount of fruit this weekend (on its own, no protein). I've tried to stay as close to clean as I could but it's been very rough. I worked out one day since Friday (yesterday) and it was not the best workout I've ever had. I take this company to the airport today and more comes on Saturday........ARGH.............and then I go east the week after that.

MrsJim: You're on the homestretch...eh? how long will you be on vacation? I probably won't talk to you for a while since I go on vacation on the 21st! CONGRATULATIONS AS YOU NEAR THE END OF C1!!! You've done such a great job! how does it feel????????

As for me, Im just trying to stay the course,
Susan
Old 07-10-2001, 09:04 AM   #55  

Cris, good to see you back!

Susan-Congrats on the GREAT progress!

Shelley-How's it going????????
Old 07-10-2001, 09:07 AM   #56  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking I've been such a busy bee!

I have a meeting beginning today for two days and then it's off to Yosemite and the wilderness! Yipee!

Unfortunately tonight I have to take my group out for dinner. I'm pretty sure that I will be able to stay pretty close to BFL eating as long as I don't eat the appetizers or desserts and stay away from the wine (no big deal for me). We're going to a four-star restaurant in the area which should be really nice. Personally, I'd just as soon stay home and grill a chicken breast!

Blastit - you are doing so well! Wow!

Michelle - Congrats on starting - once you get the hang of it, you will really love BFL and the way it makes you feel!

Sil - In my LBWO yesterday I used the Smith for my lunges as well as my squats. I MUCH prefer it to using dumbbells, if only for the fact that you get a better 'stretch' and I didn't feel like I was ready to topple over!

Well, time to hit the shower - it's after 6 and I have to be at work by 7:15 to set up...arrgh!
Old 07-10-2001, 09:12 AM   #57  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Forgot to add...

...that last night after work I had my dreaded bikini wax!! Yeow! Actually it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, nor have I experienced any breakouts - just a little redness. My esthetician did a fantastic job - and gave me some Vitamin E drops to massage in the area.

I had hoped that my legs would be less flabby by now - but like I said before- I really didn't expect any major lower body changes into well into C2 - and I know they ARE getting smaller judging from the Pants-o-Meter!!
Old 07-10-2001, 03:47 PM   #58  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default My legs feel like limp noodles~~~

but it felt GREAT to do the lunges and squats on the smith machine. I was able to concentrate more on the LIFTING than on the BALANCING
Gotta go for now
~~~Sil
Old 07-11-2001, 09:52 AM   #59  

My UBWO lasted 65 minutes today. Don't know why, I just know that my arms are feeling it!

Mrs. Jim-Tommorrow's the day! Good for you!!

Michelle- How did your 2nd day go??? Have you gotten your calipers yet??

Labmom-Glad to have you back!!

Susanje-Looks like you're still doing good, even if you aren't eating all your protein!

Blastit-Good for you and your progresss! You're doing fantastic!!

Sil- Keep up the good work!
Old 07-11-2001, 02:15 PM   #60  
GARDENING ADDICT

Shelly~~~Thanks for all of your encouragement! I'm finishing week 8 and starting to see results, so don't give up. It will happen Just keep doing the best that you can. I had a good cardio WO today. I did add an extra 15 min at moderate intensity (5 of which was cool down). I was planning on mowing the lawn this afternoon but I just got new neighbors next door and he has a pitbull that barks at me when I go in the front yard. He could jump the fence if he wanted to, so we are building a new, higher one starting this weekend. So, I'll wait till DH gets home to do the front. With that postponed, I'll think I'll go read by the pool and cool off.~~~Sil
Closed Thread