General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #181  

Height: 5'3"

I signed up on an IE yahoo group Carol, but like the women on Oprah, they seem more hard core emotional eaters and stricter about not mentioning weight/loss etc than I am.

Ella, I got the older book called Intuitive Eating at the library, and on my blog (not plugging the rest of it, which is boring and just a for me journal) I did make a page with the 10 guidelines and a little explanation of them. Not mine of course, but stuff that Geneen Roth shares freely online on her own page if you want to read it. I just ordered the new book after watching the Oprah show called Women, Food, and God which should be in early next week. Some is exerpted on the Oprah site too.

bonnie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #182  

Bonnie, I hope you can give us a review as you read the book........one less book to read ha! Seems like when you have read one book on a particular subject the rest are about the same. I really like Tribole and Resch's IE book but read a few others and really didn't learn anything new. I used to be on that IE yahoo group, too. It was started by the nicest Christian lady and was very interesting but when she no longer ran it whoever did, did not want to hear anything religious so I canceled.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #183  

I have an idea I may too. They seem IMO to be really more of a mental health support group than a weight loss group- and I don't just want to figure out why I do what I do, I want to change what doesn't work and one of those things is eating too much and moving too little.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #184  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Well, I've been using Fitday for the past couple of days and I have to say, it confirms what I already knew: MY CALORIES IN EQUAL MY CALORIES OUT. *sigh* I am a great maintainer. I don't lose and I don't gain. How the heck am I supposed to lose anything if I don't create a deficit? How do I create a deficit if it means I will be hungry?

Well, I know what the problem was today. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was overly hungry most of the day, so I did overeat when I had the chance. But still, yesterday I had my normal routine, and I still ate about the same amount of calories. I've been trying to eat more protein and fiber to keep myself full longer, but I still end up with the same calorie count at the end of the day.
Oh, well, rant over... just needed to complain, I guess.

Last edited by theCandEs; 05-14-2010 at 10:53 PM.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #185  

When I was tracking points and calories, I found the same thing CandEs. If I ate what I wanted to feel satisfied it was around 1800 calories/30 plus points and if I wanted to lose weight I needed to be about 1200-1300. When I was on vacation, though, and walked a lot every day I lost weight even though I ate a lot more. It seemed to be the all day increase in movement worked better for me than the 3 times a week of structured excercise.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #186  

Hi. Haven't posted here in a while. My big IE goals are eating reasonable portions when hungry, really slowing down and paying attention when eating, and not freaking out that my body doesn't look a certain way by summer. Okay, so, diets have never worked for me, why am I hanging on to these stupid diet books? I'm never gonna use em. Almost like the scale,just an emotional thing I guess.
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #187  

I gave all my old diet books away to the library booksale last month. I had Sonomo, Southbeach plus the cookbook, Atkins, several Denise Austen, WW, Atkins, plus a few more less famous ones.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #188  

I usually give mine to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Haven't done it for awhile but should probably do it again, although I read a good book by Nancy Makin entitled 703, How I lost over a quarter ton, or something like that. It is more of a life history but very interesting, though a little heavy on expletives.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #189  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

I too, need to get rid of the old diet books, will donate to the library when I get a chance, better use would be to have a big bon fire!!!

Have a blessed day. tammy

Last edited by TamTam; 05-17-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #190  

And speaking of books---My women, food, and God book came in today. I will start reading tonight, when my husband and son head for our/his bedrooms. I think it may be emotional and want to read it in private.

I have started mentioning to people about my "new" not dieting plan. It is a relief to speak honestly about how discouraged I was with all the dieting.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #191  

I've been making chocolate chip cookies lately and now I am tired of them. Can you believe that? If you eat something every day somehow it looses it's glamor and you don't want it for a long time. I've only been eating a couple a day but have no desire to make more right now. Thought of another thing I wanted to say but forgot. ha!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #192  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I've been making chocolate chip cookies lately and now I am tired of them. Can you believe that? If you eat something every day somehow it looses it's glamor and you don't want it for a long time. I've only been eating a couple a day but have no desire to make more right now.
I've noticed that too. I tend naturally to want a certain food over and over for a while, then I'm done with it for a while. It's funny, it's ends up being kind of a form of portion control - instead of overeating in one sitting (and not feeling good after), I can just keep having something however many days (or meals!) in a row it takes until I feel like I've had my fill of it.

It's not that I'm trying to employ a "trick" to control my eating, which might not be all that IE friendly. This is just an explanation I came up with after the fact when I realized what was happening. I think it's my body's natural way.

It might one of those things that varies between people, though. Some people just have to have a lot of variety. I just happen to like to eat something over and over when it's hitting the spot.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #193  

Hi Julie. I would really like to get below 150lb and have been stuck for a long time........like a year!!! Any suggestions how to get things moving?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #194  
Intuitive Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Hi Julie. I would really like to get below 150lb and have been stuck for a long time........like a year!!! Any suggestions how to get things moving?
This is me, too, Carol!

theCandEs mentioned being a great maintainer ... that is the problem when it comes to losing the weight ... but it may be a blessing in disguise! Not dieting is getting back to normal eating, right? I would say that if we are at a point where we are eating what we want, and listening to hunger and fullness and maintaining, that we have become intuitive eaters. The problem tho is who wants to maintain overweight? And I am maintaining where I don't want to, at the top of my weight. Ugh! But I don't look at that as a total loss, I would take maintaining over gaining any day!

Looking back at how I managed to get some of the weight off in the past, I was diligent about getting in at least 30 minutes of walking at least 3 times a week. I also did not slack off when it came to really watching my portions. I think what made portion control successful for me then was that I treated it like a game ... just how little food can I actually get by on and still be satisfied? I wasn't deliberately starving myself, but I made it a point to eat a lot less than I had been accustomed to eating and pleasantly I found that I didn't need nearly as much as I thought I did. At the time I lost the weight, I was following a program where I had daily accountability, which helped keep me on track (only a few days where I just overate). With the accountability, there was a goal in place and it helped me to press on towards the goal. As I'm typing this, I now see that those things I just highlighted in blue are missing for me now. Typing it all out like that just really made me realize I need to take this a step further if I want to get the weight off!

Carol, I think the reason we maintainers are maintaining is because our bodies have become accustomed to the amount of food we are eating and as a result we are naturally maintaining, the way any "normal" eater would. In a nutshell, we are no longer dieters, but normal eaters. Intuitive eaters.

I'm going to implement those things that helped me lose some weight in the past and see if I can get this ball rolling again. I know those suggestions might sound like "rules" but they are only meant as suggestions for anyone who wants to try to break thru maintenance. I know I do.

I know we use this thread mainly to chat, but I'd like to check in here daily (if possible) just to report my progress (or lack thereof) for the purpose of creating accountability with other IEers. Maybe if we become accountable to one another, committed to a goal, we might see things progressing again? Being an anti-dieting thread, I don't want to give the impression we are competing or dieting to lose weight here, just getting organized and serious about losing weight. Personally I feel like I've been coasting in my comfort zone for a while now and need to get back to the business of weight loss.

Please tell me if the idea of accountability here for the purpose of weight loss is counter to IE because I realize that IE tends to push the "body acceptance" a bit. I don't want to become dogmatic about anything IE. To each his (or her) own!

OK, I'm getting long-winded here. What does everyone else think?

Have a great one!
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #195  

That was a TERRIFIC post. I needed that. Trouble is I have never lost through exercise. I walked as much as 6 miles a day for 2 months and never lost a pound. As to the portions, I'm thinking that's the problem. When you say accountability do you mean to report our weight every week?