General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

I live in the upper Midwest, and even though there is a bit of a stereotype that many of us are obese, the reality of my location is somewhat the opposite. There's a huge "bike everywhere" population here, bike trails abundant, and quite a few fit people walking (and running) around.

When I'm at a work meeting, get together with friends/colleagues, get together with wife's friends/colleagues, etc...I'm often the fattest person in the group. Yay.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #32  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'm in a relatively little town, so I'm always amazed when I routinely run into people that match my size at my highest or more. There's quite a few. The province as whole? There are quite a few, but it's usually most prevalent among the more disadvantaged demographics.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #33  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I live in rural Ontario - the home of butter tarts and Church suppers! When we have an area Fair Board meeting, the chairs have to be spaced apart a bit more than normal to allow for overflow! It seems around here that being a big eater is something to be proud of.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #34  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Very interesting topic. I grew up in NYC and have lived in DC for the last several years. I was in the normal weight range when I lived in New York but always felt like I could take off a few pounds. I've put on the majority of my weight in the last 7 years and have always felt very uncomfortable. I think that I've paid more attention to the mainstream media ideal size rather than people around me.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #35  

Height: 5'0"

I live in western MD. Very rural, not close to DC or Baltimore.

I'd say we tend to be about average around here. There are outliers, of course. But in general, kids tend to be lean (few obese kids, and definitely few morbidly obese kids), but adults tend to be heavier (chunky or obese) with a fairly good amount who are either lean or fit or both.

Although things like fashion (NY) and outdoorsy stuff (CO) may have something to do with it, I tend to think it's mostly about socioeconomic status around here. Hang out at the country club, the "fancy" supermarket, and the black tie events held for medical professionals, and you'll see mostly thin and fit people with only a few who are overweight. But if you spend your days in the all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants and Wal-Mart, you'll see a MUCH larger number of obese or overweight folks. I hang out in both crowds, so I definitely see the difference between the two.

That's a sweeping generalization, though. Obviously there are thin people in Wal-Mart and fat doctors. I'm just talking averages here.

Last edited by banananutmuffin; 02-27-2013 at 01:29 PM.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #36  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I lived in New York for over 30 years. Now I live in the mountans, north of the city, and I have to say that around here, alot of people are carrying around extra weight ...more potatoes, beer, and hamburger helper....I think....
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #37  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I live near 3 different First Nation reserves and many people are obese..the white minority are average ..I would say probably like a size 8-10
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

I live in a city outside of Vancouver. I feel totally out of place when I'm in Vancouver doing shopping or going to a concert. The lululemon-yoga-cycle everywhere mentality has rubbed off on my city but we're not quite there yet. I would say at my current weight I am above average but not on the extreme end of the chubbiness factor. People in my town drive EVERYWHERE and our council isn't so nice to new businesses so we basically just have unhealthy and non-innovative chain restaurants here. What I wouldn't give for a Whole Foods!!

And we're one of the most culturally diverse cities in Canada so we have numerous (delicious) ethnic restaurants. Even though many come from a culture of pedestrianism and cycling, still they drive everywhere. It's truly bizarre.

We also have a lot of farmers from the outskirts of town that keep these high-calorie catering restuarants in business. Understandable as they work their butts off in the field all day but makes it difficult to encourage healthier focused companies to move in.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 168/168/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleHearts View Post
I can relate to this. I live in North Florida near Pensacola where we are jokingly called the Redneck Riviera. Lots of Southern American food, influence, and laid back attitude. Lots of obese people in my little town thanks to the love affair with fried foods and pre-diet Paula Deen cooking I'd say it's a 80 to 20% fat to fit ratio around here. The farther south I go in this state, the more things tend to change. So yes, Florida is very weird hehe.

I even second your San Francisco statement. I felt like a whale around all those fit and in shape people when I went! Great city though and if I lived there I don't think I'd have a hard time staying in shape as walking would be the thing to do!
My brother went to UWF in Pensacola and boy did he learn how to cook that southern food. Unlike me, he works out all the time so he can actually afford to eat pretty much whatever he wants. When we're in the same city I always make sure I'm around when he's cooking, though

San Francisco is a great city! I fell in love. I think I could adapt to the weather quite easily since I'm used to South Florida's year round season: summer. The only difference is they're always stuck in the fall. I'll say it again, I absolutely loved it!
Nowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

I think here in Lansing, most people would be considered overweight with some folks at normal weight and some folks at obese.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada). It is extremely fat phobic here. Everyone is skinny skinny skinny and tons of outdoorsy types. We have a huge Asian population here and stores had to introduce size 00 because of it.

Even when I go down to Seattle, which apparently people consider the "equivalent" to Vancouver (I don't, but just saying for reference) I feel skinny down in Seattle!

I even notice that the clothing on the mannequins in windows in Seattle looks "plus size" to me, after living here in Vancouver where the mannequins wear the size 00 stuff to display. Not even joking!

Even if I get down to my goal weight I will be considered not slim in this city.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 210/187/160

Height: 5'7

Smile

Born and raised in NYC. The reactions to weight varies due to your socio-economic status, neighborhood, education, age, and ethnicity. I live in a working class neighborhood (in Brooklyn) with most of the residents of West Indian descent. No one here cares about my weight. Now if I venture off to some affluent neighborhoods then I would expect (not just expect, I've experienced it) some fatphobia (and probably a dash of covert racism). By the way, I am a graduate student and I can assure you none of my classmates care about my weight. Then again I do not attend an Ivy League University or Private College. Honestly I believe most people here are concerned with their own day to day activities to worry about another person's weight.

You get the occasional idiot, immature kids/teens or guys/girls posturing with their friends.

The only time I am really self-conscious about it is when I visit certain venues (clubs and lounges usually in some trendy/posh Manhattan area) or attend events (especially for dating) where I know skinny women will get all of the attention (and the guys, of course).

Last edited by Ambrosia; 02-27-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #43  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
it's income differences and/or educational differences
I would agree with this. I've lived in quite a few places myself and found this to be generally true. That probably explains why the south tends to be overweight as there tends to be states with a large poor population.

Currently I live in Lincoln, NE and still see this. I see most of the overweight people at Walmart and less expensive restaurants then I do at high end ones.

It's also probably true that I zoom in on overweight people more now then I ever did as I lose weight, so it's possible my perception in skewed.

Last edited by Vex; 02-27-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #44  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Big. And that's a problem for me when I am often the biggest!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

I'd say Toronto in general has such a wide range of folks that I find it hard to say what average is. In my neighborhood, which is mostly Italian and Portuguese senior citizens, overweight to mildly obese is the norm. (I am not Italian, Portuguese or a senior citizen but I am overweight!) There is a Korean neighborhood nearby and they are much smaller. It is a changing area though and there are also some young families of various ethnicities (or several generation Canadian) and they look healthier. In any case I don't feel conspicuous but I don't feel small either.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote