General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #16  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I'm in ga... Apparently we have a very high obesity rate :-(
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #17  

Height: 5'8.5"

Here in the PNW fitness is a big thing and a lot of people work hard at keeping their weight under control, ride bikes to work, etc. Eating healthy and organic food is also popular. More and more I do see a lot of overweight people, but it is definitely not the accepted lifestyle.

And I have lived in four states and definitely DO see a difference in what is considered "normal." When I go back to visit Missouri (where I grew up) there is a huge difference in the type of food, even, that is readily available, and a much higher percentage of extremely overweight people.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 02-27-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

I live at the beach and we really see it all. Among the locals there's a bit of standard to be fit. It's really anything goes with the tourists because they come from a variety of places.

The local food movement has really taken off here. CSA's are very big. So I think there's a big push to be healthier overall, not just skinny to look hot (sort of what I assume it's like in NYC and LA).
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm from California originally but when I lived in Colorado, people were very sporty and outdoorsy. I think Colorado is supposed to be one of the states with the most people in the normal BMI range. I live in Maryland now but it seems more similar to California.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Im in Newfoundland. we are a fluffy northern people to put it lightly. We carry a lot of blubber. We drink a lot and eat a lot of poutine, fish and chips, sausage, all the meat and potatoe high fat high calorie foods. I'm considered normal-slightly chubby lol really im quite obese.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #21  

Height: 5'8.5"

I am thankful that here in the Seattle area, not only are people of a "fitness" mindset but PCC Natural Markets has really taken off, so there is wonderful healthful, organic food readily available at a reasonable price (compared to other markets; everything is expensive here). Plus in summer a lot of local markets.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #22  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

I live in Southwest Virginia (Appalachia), and there's a high rate of obesity here and an intense love of less healthy southern-esque food. While I am heavy, I have never felt terribly 'out-of-place' in my home town, even though I was considered quite obese before losing some of my weight. The culture is, generally, very accepting of larger bodies. I have seen more people out running as of late, and there's always been what others call a "local food" movement here. Farmers markets, or food out of your own garden, is really just a way of life. Still, there's a lot of poverty in Appalachia, and there's a number of people who do not have quite as much access to good food. We have a Walmart and a locally owned supermarket that carries fresh produce and some organic foods, but they carry very little. The closest whole foods store is about an hour and a half away.

When I travel to northern Virginia, however, especially around Charlottesville or Richmond, I feel like a poor, unfashionable whale. My bf and I recently took a trip to Charlottesville, and we walked around this mall with all of these designer stores in it that had nothing I could fit into. I was actually pretty nervous to walk into most of them, even if they didn't sell clothes. I am not completely unworldly, but you do become insulated from that world living where I do. I felt a bit like I was Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, except in a pair of Ariat cowboy boots, an unremarkable cardigan, and a layer of fat. It was actually our travels that really made me start to seriously begin thinking about losing weight again. I was tired of feeling embarrassed of myself.

Last edited by Song of Surly; 02-27-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

Apparently 24.5% of the population was considered obese in New York for the year 2010.

My college seemed to have a mixture of people; hotties, average jill's and joe's, and the overweight. I believe the women are still outnumbered although that gap is closing over time. I'd say we make up maybe 40% of the population. Racially, we're mixed; we have students from all over the world.

My workplace is primarily fit. If you don't work out, you are probably among the minority rather than the majority.

The surrounding area seems to be a mixture more similar to that of my school's although I'm still struck by just how unhealthy so many people are. And I don't just mean weight-wise, but overall.

I've never felt like I don't fit. My hometown is worse for weight than my current location so my weight was never something that made me stand out.
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #24  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
Actually, I found NYC not to be that strict. There was more diversity in ethnicity so plenty of beautiful women in all shapes and sizes. Then I moved to Phoenix which is totally fat phobic.

I guess it's all about perspective. I've lived in Phoenix my entire life and have had the opposite view. It seems to me a majority of our population here in Phoenix is overweight or obese. I've definitely never noticed any fat phobic stuff. But I'd venture to guess that it totally depends on the people you come in contact with. We have a high Mexican and Native American population. Those cultures seem to embrace more full figures, at least in my personal experience with my friends and acquantances -- of course I cannot speak for entire cultures.

Of course here in Phoenix (Scottsdale and Tempe maybe moreso) there is the desired uber thin and tanned look, but it defintiely isn't the majority.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

NC here... we have a weird combination of outdoorsy fit people and those who probably put a little too much butter in their grits, if you know what I mean. I fall somewhere in between - I LOVE all of the unhealthy southern food you can get around here, but I do try to watch what I eat and go to the gym.
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #26  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Upstate New York - most people over 30 here could stand to lose a few pounds, but in my group of friends (age 25-30) all the women are "healthy" and most of the guys are too. College kids are mostly in great shape. I think it's probably pretty average by U.S. national standards in every way.

bubblybarrister - NOW I WANT BUTTERED GRITS THANKS

Last edited by krampus; 02-27-2013 at 10:43 AM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #27  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

More than geographical differences, it's income differences and/or educational differences (which tend to affect incomes).

I have lived in Philadelphia, Iowa, Ontario, Canada, Chicago, DC burbs - both Virginia side and Maryland side and in every location, I could find all shapes and sizes.

I was ALWAYS the heaviest of my husband's colleagues and spouses. It was painfully obvious at any family/work place gatherings - no matter where we lived. Similarly with some of my jobs (depending on what I did).

The community I live in in is a planned community with bike paths and walking trails and fitness facilities, etc. The obesity rate is lower because people who CHOOSE to live here value movement. But it's not like I won't find/see overweight people, I do as we are also a socio-economically planned community too - low income housing mixed in with mansions.

And so, the sizes of people I see also depends on where I go. If I shop at the health food grocery store or Whole Foods and only shop at posh boutiques or upscale malls, I'm going to see thinner people. People who have the means and time to exercise and eat right. If I shop in big box stores and the every day grocery store, I'm going to see more of the every day man/woman who will be whatever size, and unfortunately, a tendency to be more overweight. And what I see around me by shopping will affect how I view the "area" when really it's not just the area, but the places/people I associate with.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 02-27-2013 at 10:44 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #28  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
I was just reading a post by someone in Colorado saying how out-of-place they felt being overweight. I know NYC and LA are very strict, but I always think of the places in the middle being more lenient. Come to think of it, though, I HAVE heard that CO is very fit. How is your town?
I didn't write the post the OP was referencing but I can certainly say that living in Denver, I do feel this way a lot of the time. I moved here from the East Coast about 7 years ago and I definitely saw a difference. It's not that there are no overweight/obese people here, but I noticed them much more than I did back east, and I think it was because there were just fewer of them around.

Although I will say that seems to have changed a bit over the time I've lived here, and I feel like I do routinely see more heavier people now. Maybe the bad economy is part of that, and people have less time and money for a more healthy lifestyle, and maybe do more stress eating about money, jobs, etc.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowl View Post
Here in Florida I see all kinds. I grew up in Boca Raton where the standards of beauty are a bit... unrealistic? Extremely superficial. But FL is a weird place in general and depending on the region/city/street you will see many kinds of people.

Last summer I went to San Francisco and I felt huge, like I stuck out. Everyone there seemed to be fit and healthy, I also attributed it to the lifestyle. Walking up and down those hills is killer and I enjoyed a bike tour around the city. It seemed like a great and convenient way to get around for the locals.
I can relate to this. I live in North Florida near Pensacola where we are jokingly called the Redneck Riviera. Lots of Southern American food, influence, and laid back attitude. Lots of obese people in my little town thanks to the love affair with fried foods and pre-diet Paula Deen cooking I'd say it's a 80 to 20% fat to fit ratio around here. The farther south I go in this state, the more things tend to change. So yes, Florida is very weird hehe.

I even second your San Francisco statement. I felt like a whale around all those fit and in shape people when I went! Great city though and if I lived there I don't think I'd have a hard time staying in shape as walking would be the thing to do!
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Upstate New York - most people over 30 here could stand to lose a few pounds, but in my group of friends (age 25-30) all the women are "healthy" and most of the guys are too. College kids are mostly in great shape. I think it's probably pretty average by U.S. national standards in every way.

bubblybarrister - NOW I WANT BUTTERED GRITS THANKS
hehehehehehehhe
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote