General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #31  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Caffiene, I'd love to travel so I'm looking into travel photography/ photo journalism. Its so competitive though!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Photography is a tough market. A lot of people who want to get into it really aren't aware of how tough it is - especially right now as the economy is dipping and people aren't paying for luxury items like professional photographs.

Also as a photographer - especially if you're a portrait or wedding photographer - you have to compete with the Walmart and Sears and PicturePeople type companies that offer hundreds of prints for $29.99 and can do so because their overhead is offset by the rest of the store's income.

Aside from that, what a lot of people don't realize is that when you own your own business, you're responsible for ALL the stuff that your employer normally pays for. The 7% of social security that an employer normally contributes? You gotta pony up for that. Medicare which the employer normally pays? You gotta pay that, too. Plus business taxes, licenses and fees, property taxes on your business insurance, health insurance, equipment insurance, etc., etc.

After expenses, I pay 42% of my income in taxes. Seriously. That means for every $1000 I bill to a client, I take out 30% direct costs and overhead ($300), 42% of what's left I pay in taxes ($294), and I get to keep $494.

Just ... a dose of reality here. I've been a photog for a loooooong time. It's a lot more than taking photos.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #33  
carinna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Photography is a tough market. A lot of people who want to get into it really aren't aware of how tough it is - especially right now as the economy is dipping and people aren't paying for luxury items like professional photographs.

Also as a photographer - especially if you're a portrait or wedding photographer - you have to compete with the Walmart and Sears and PicturePeople type companies that offer hundreds of prints for $29.99 and can do so because their overhead is offset by the rest of the store's income.

Aside from that, what a lot of people don't realize is that when you own your own business, you're responsible for ALL the stuff that your employer normally pays for. The 7% of social security that an employer normally contributes? You gotta pony up for that. Medicare which the employer normally pays? You gotta pay that, too. Plus business taxes, licenses and fees, property taxes on your business insurance, health insurance, equipment insurance, etc., etc.

After expenses, I pay 42% of my income in taxes. Seriously. That means for every $1000 I bill to a client, I take out 30% direct costs and overhead ($300), 42% of what's left I pay in taxes ($294), and I get to keep $494.

Just ... a dose of reality here. I've been a photog for a loooooong time. It's a lot more than taking photos.

Aaaah, yes, but if it's something that you LOVE, ie. your dream job, then it's worth it.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I have a few things...I'm actually studying for my Social Work degree, and eventually would like to be a Psychiatrist...Other professions...probably easier to comeby...

Graphic Web Developer (can do this already)
Dog Trainer, Breeder, Shower (I dun want to throw puppy showers...lol I want to show them XD )...ect
Movie Critic <3 <3
Voice Actress ( I do this for video games now)

Last edited by Casandra; 08-25-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 190/178/120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Photography is a tough market.

Heck yes! And it isn't about having the biggest/best camera or the most up to date editing program. It is a mix of art and technical. That is why my mom, who is a painter, can't take good photographs for the life of her...she can't handle the technical aspect.

Ok, getting off target there.

Oh, and if I hadn't become a photographer I might have gone with my other potential career from when I was in high school...but only if my health had worked better. I had been accepted to an international dance troupe. Dance runs in my family...anyone watch "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE"? Katee Shean is my cousin (though we don't look at all alike because she's 1/2 Japanese).
CaffeineIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #36  

Travel Writer!!!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #37  
Releasing the inner hiker

I'd work for Glacier National Park or Yellowstone National Park as a field guide or researcher.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #38  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would love to work with animals. I love animals (although not a big fan of birds). I probably won't ever do it but maybe when I'm ready to retire, I'd look into a retirement job with animals.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #39  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

I'd love to get paid to write!

Also- teaching creative writing or english in high school - or working with high school kids in a counseling forum- drug or sex abuse counseling. Would be a tough but very rewarding job.

The biggest impact on my life as a teen was helping a little girl who was behind learn to read. It really left a lasting impact on me that 17 years later I still remember it.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #40  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Cool

Wow great thread and you all have great dream jobs!!!

Mine:

To be a Mommy
Write for Children (either books or magazines or both)
For my family and me to have our own animal rescue
Photographer
Solid Gold Dancer Just kidding! That was my dream job when I was like 5 or 6!!!

to those who already have their dream jobs, you are a inspiration to us all.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'11

Stand up Comedian, hands down. I'm in the process of researching and writing my first set, though just the thought of performing gives me butterflies.

Also, I would love to work for The Discovery Channel on a show like Planet Earth, or like Great Hotels on the Travel Channel, how cool would that be, just like Samantha Brown
soure1sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #42  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by soure1sl View Post
Stand up Comedian, hands down. I'm in the process of researching and writing my first set, though just the thought of performing gives me butterflies.

Also, I would love to work for The Discovery Channel on a show like Planet Earth, or like Great Hotels on the Travel Channel, how cool would that be, just like Samantha Brown
Planet Earth is awesome......Oooooooooo I'd love to work for that Sunrise Earth Place (Shows sunrises from around the world)..........its so awesome......and I like Samantha Brown too, what a great job!!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

I'd like to be an English Professor.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #44  
Registered Diva

S/C/G: 172/142/119

Height: 5'5

MOVIE ACTRESS!! hands down!! I've done theater and musical theater (locally, obviously) but it's too rushed!! with movies you have more time and you can experiment and perfect really well. I NEEEED to make movies, its not a dream, its a necessity.
lointhecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Feeding bottles to baby animals at the zoo! Or, dolphin trainer!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote