What's your dream job?

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • Caffiene, I'd love to travel so I'm looking into travel photography/ photo journalism. Its so competitive though!
  • Photography is a tough market. A lot of people who want to get into it really aren't aware of how tough it is - especially right now as the economy is dipping and people aren't paying for luxury items like professional photographs.

Also as a photographer - especially if you're a portrait or wedding photographer - you have to compete with the Walmart and Sears and PicturePeople type companies that offer hundreds of prints for $29.99 and can do so because their overhead is offset by the rest of the store's income.

Aside from that, what a lot of people don't realize is that when you own your own business, you're responsible for ALL the stuff that your employer normally pays for. The 7% of social security that an employer normally contributes? You gotta pony up for that. Medicare which the employer normally pays? You gotta pay that, too. Plus business taxes, licenses and fees, property taxes on your business insurance, health insurance, equipment insurance, etc., etc.

After expenses, I pay 42% of my income in taxes. Seriously. That means for every $1000 I bill to a client, I take out 30% direct costs and overhead ($300), 42% of what's left I pay in taxes ($294), and I get to keep $494.

Just ... a dose of reality here. I've been a photog for a loooooong time. It's a lot more than taking photos.

• Quote: Photography is a tough market. A lot of people who want to get into it really aren't aware of how tough it is - especially right now as the economy is dipping and people aren't paying for luxury items like professional photographs.

Also as a photographer - especially if you're a portrait or wedding photographer - you have to compete with the Walmart and Sears and PicturePeople type companies that offer hundreds of prints for $29.99 and can do so because their overhead is offset by the rest of the store's income.

Aside from that, what a lot of people don't realize is that when you own your own business, you're responsible for ALL the stuff that your employer normally pays for. The 7% of social security that an employer normally contributes? You gotta pony up for that. Medicare which the employer normally pays? You gotta pay that, too. Plus business taxes, licenses and fees, property taxes on your business insurance, health insurance, equipment insurance, etc., etc.

After expenses, I pay 42% of my income in taxes. Seriously. That means for every $1000 I bill to a client, I take out 30% direct costs and overhead ($300), 42% of what's left I pay in taxes ($294), and I get to keep $494.

Just ... a dose of reality here. I've been a photog for a loooooong time. It's a lot more than taking photos.

Aaaah, yes, but if it's something that you LOVE, ie. your dream job, then it's worth it.
  • I have a few things...I'm actually studying for my Social Work degree, and eventually would like to be a Psychiatrist...Other professions...probably easier to comeby...

Graphic Web Developer (can do this already)
    Dog Trainer, Breeder, Shower (I dun want to throw puppy showers...lol I want to show them XD )...ect
    Movie Critic <3 <3
    Voice Actress ( I do this for video games now)
  • Quote: Photography is a tough market.

Heck yes! And it isn't about having the biggest/best camera or the most up to date editing program. It is a mix of art and technical. That is why my mom, who is a painter, can't take good photographs for the life of her...she can't handle the technical aspect.

Ok, getting off target there.

Oh, and if I hadn't become a photographer I might have gone with my other potential career from when I was in high school...but only if my health had worked better. I had been accepted to an international dance troupe. Dance runs in my family...anyone watch "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE"? Katee Shean is my cousin (though we don't look at all alike because she's 1/2 Japanese).
  • Travel Writer!!!
  • I'd work for Glacier National Park or Yellowstone National Park as a field guide or researcher.
  • I would love to work with animals. I love animals (although not a big fan of birds). I probably won't ever do it but maybe when I'm ready to retire, I'd look into a retirement job with animals.
  • I'd love to get paid to write!

Also- teaching creative writing or english in high school - or working with high school kids in a counseling forum- drug or sex abuse counseling. Would be a tough but very rewarding job.

The biggest impact on my life as a teen was helping a little girl who was behind learn to read. It really left a lasting impact on me that 17 years later I still remember it.
  • Wow great thread and you all have great dream jobs!!!

Mine:

To be a Mommy
    Write for Children (either books or magazines or both)
    For my family and me to have our own animal rescue
    Photographer
    Solid Gold Dancer Just kidding! That was my dream job when I was like 5 or 6!!!

to those who already have their dream jobs, you are a inspiration to us all.
  • Stand up Comedian, hands down. I'm in the process of researching and writing my first set, though just the thought of performing gives me butterflies.

Also, I would love to work for The Discovery Channel on a show like Planet Earth, or like Great Hotels on the Travel Channel, how cool would that be, just like Samantha Brown
  • Quote: Stand up Comedian, hands down. I'm in the process of researching and writing my first set, though just the thought of performing gives me butterflies.

Also, I would love to work for The Discovery Channel on a show like Planet Earth, or like Great Hotels on the Travel Channel, how cool would that be, just like Samantha Brown
    Planet Earth is awesome......Oooooooooo I'd love to work for that Sunrise Earth Place (Shows sunrises from around the world)..........its so awesome......and I like Samantha Brown too, what a great job!!
  • I'd like to be an English Professor.
  • MOVIE ACTRESS!! hands down!! I've done theater and musical theater (locally, obviously) but it's too rushed!! with movies you have more time and you can experiment and perfect really well. I NEEEED to make movies, its not a dream, its a necessity.
  • Feeding bottles to baby animals at the zoo! Or, dolphin trainer!