General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I actually don't drink starbucks regularly, was just using that as an example...I do tip at places where it is expected...ie restaurant, hairdressers. I really don't use service type services very often..never stay at hotels, don't get my nails done, rarely eat out/order food in...it just seems like everyplace I walk into has a tips jar. I remember watching a 60 min type show (not sure if it was 60 min) that did a segment on tipping and showed a bunch of ridiculous places that pandered for tips. It just gets to be too much.

what I meant by the above statement was that I don't feel obligated to tip somoene if they provide bad service...I don't tip someone that delivers my pizza an hour and a half after ordering and I don't tip someone who does a bad job waiting on me. I only tip people that deserve it.

for example I was semi-recently at a diner with my younger brothers and the waitress took our orders and we never saw her again until the food came...I had to get up and get someone to get my drink refilled and the place wasn't even busy...then as we are getting ready to leave she comes over and acts all nice...sucking up and crap. I knew it was a case of seeing a table of younger kids and not waiting on us because she didn't think we would tip (well of course we won't if you don't wait on us).
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ahhh ... ok. I see the difference now.

Hard to tell sometimes in writing.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #63  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
And the thing about paying $4 for a cup of coffee and then "they" want a tip ... "they" (being the barristas) don't get that $4. Starbucks does.
If I order a regular coffee or a cup of tea, I don't tip. I don't see why, when all they do is just pour the water or coffee. But if they do more than that to make my drink (a specialty drink of some sort), I will tip.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine999 View Post
I don't tip someone that delivers my pizza an hour and a half after ordering
That's not necessarily the fault of the pizza delivery person

I was a waitress in college, and I was really really good at it. But, I'm very very very glad my livelihood is no longer dependent on the vagaries of strangers.

Last edited by Glory87; 04-22-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: can't spell
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Are you really in San Diego? Did I miss something? You are one of my favorite people here!!! I most certainly want to see YOU, girlie!!!
Yes, I'm here! Allinell is around here too somewhere, we should so meet up!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #66  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Yes, I'm here! Allinell is around here too somewhere, we should so meet up!!
Yes!!! We should! I'll be the fat, redheaded one in black
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I'll be the fat, redheaded one in black
I thought you were describing me there for a second...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Yes, you should tip the movers.

Whether someone "believes" in tipping or not, it is customary and expected in our society (i.e. American service industry jobs) that someone who works in a service job and is not an owner will get tipped. Many times these workers' pay rates are set because they are expected to be tipped and so owners can get away with paying them less.

15% to 20% is a customary tipping range for most industries. I would have tipped each man $20 - $30, which is right in that range. If any one of them went above and beyond, I'd have tipped more (e.g. moving a particularly large piece of furniture, taking particular care with something, bringing things to your attention, etc.)

As I said above, I know a lot of people don't "beleive" in tipping and I can respect that belief. But I also don't think that service workers should be penalized out of what is a reasonable and customary part of their income because someone wants to fight the status quo.
I agree with every word of your post! Nothing more to be said!
Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #69  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
I thought you were describing me there for a second...

Well, we are both beautiful redheaded belly dancers, after all!
Old 05-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #70  
Finding My Bliss

http://www.tip20.com/div/con/

^^Interesting link about tipping.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #71  
Addicted to potato salad!

My husband just walked by and said, "You leave what feels right." Which is true. When I go to the diner next to my shop to get a cup of soup to-go, I always leave a dollar. Waitress didn't do much but ladle some soup into a styrofoam cup, but it was service with a smile and I appreciate that.

On the other hand, my daughter's father was with a guy friend at a fast-food place like Denny's and had a terrible waitress that was rude on top of being lousy. He and his friend left her a condom and a penny for a tip. In their way they were saying she stunk as a waitress and that she probably needed to get laid. I wasn't there or he wouldn't have been allowed to leave that, but that's guys for ya. Actually, it's kind of funny, as long as it wasn't me that left it. I've had waitresses since then that I felt deserved a similar tip, but I just leave the bare minimum...double the tax. But the evil thought of a penny with a condom has crossed my mind a few times. Also, as a married woman I don't exactly carry around condoms in my purse.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #72  
Operator265

I always remember that a waitress is not even making minimum wage(sometimes less than half). I have rotten days when I have to go to work in a bad mood, sick, kids raising ****, etc. and my mind isn't on my job or being nice to anyone. But, I don't get a cut in wages because of it. The teller at the bank snipes at me, but I can't go to her boss and get her wages cut. Nor can I get that done to the guy who tried to rip me off at the tire shop.

Also, when the IRS does an audit at a restaurant they ASSUME 8% on each waitresses tickets(atleast when I was one). Therefore, I almost always leave 10% on a bad day, but usually 15-20%.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #73  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Don't forget nurses. We can't accept tips but we love goodies. I've had patients give us Starbucks coffee, fruit, pizza, Krispy Kremes, etc. I had a patient years ago try to give me $5 for lunch and I told him I couldn't accept it. He kept putting it back in my pocket so I ended up keeping it because I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I felt really guilty about it. Nurses get paid fairly well, but the nurses' aides and other staff, housekeeping, etc. not so much.

I'm definitely going to think more about tipping since reading these posts. I always tip in a restaurant, but some of these other jobs are ones I guess I've never even thought about.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #74  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Don't forget nurses. We can't accept tips but we love goodies. I've had patients give us Starbucks coffee, fruit, pizza, Krispy Kremes, etc. I had a patient years ago try to give me $5 for lunch and I told him I couldn't accept it. He kept putting it back in my pocket so I ended up keeping it because I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I felt really guilty about it. Nurses get paid fairly well, but the nurses' aides and other staff, housekeeping, etc. not so much.

I'm definitely going to think more about tipping since reading these posts. I always tip in a restaurant, but some of these other jobs are ones I guess I've never even thought about.
There is a reason that half the nurses I know (probably over half) are obese.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #75  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

in the uk it is TOTALLY different.

i tip waiters/waitresses even though in the uk they make minimum wage or above if i feel the service has been good,

i tip my tattoo artist anything from £5-10 dependant on how flush i am in all honesty and my best friend does my hair.. i cook her dinner and provide wine.. does that count?
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote