General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
How many people leave a tip for hotel maids?
Always. And I'm amazed at how many people don't know you should do this!!!

I travel a lot for my business and I always leave $2 per night for the total length of my stay - but never less than $5, even if I've only stayed one night.

Also:
Bell staff - $2 per bag (except for carryon type stuff which is $1)
Valets - $2 every time they get my car - or $2 if I ask them to hold it for me
Cab drivers - 10% and up from there if they've been friendly and helpful
Concierge - $2-$10 depending on the amount of help given

Also ... I put myself through college working as the night desk clerk at a business hotel. I always make it a point to ask the person behind the desk late at night if I can get them anything if I go out. I've brought a piece of cake back from a nice dinner out with a client as a "thank you" to the desk clerk, or brought Coke/Diet Coke when I pop down to the lobby to get one from the machine, or whatever. When I was in NYC, I gave the desk clerk my subway pass with 3 rides still left on it and she was shocked and surprised. I know how thankless a job it is and how much it sucks to be the one up at 4 a.m. when it's dark and quiet. Even if you have school work to do to keep you busy, it can be a lonely job.

Honestly I'm all about doing nice things for people in service jobs when I can. I worked my way through college and am lucky enough to have a nice, successful business that allows me some of the luxuries of life. My business pays for me to travel to nice places and eat out quite a bit. And for me tipping well and giving little gifts when I can is a little bit of how I feel I can give back to those who are working hard or who might not be as fortunate as I am.

FWIW.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #47  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

PhotoChick, you are awesome. I too like to practice "random acts of kindness", have been working and living on my own since I was in my mid teens and have put myself through college while working as a single mom (and am putting myself through it again for a career change).

Let me know if you ever come to San Diego and want the BEST massage you've ever had.

Or, even if you are ever here and want to know where the best places to eat, see etc. are, send me a PM. I'll take you to a relaxing yoga or a challenging Pilates class, my treat.

Last edited by SoulBliss; 04-20-2008 at 09:03 PM.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #48  

Soul - we'll actually be doing a workshop in San Diego next spring ... so I'm going to take you up on at least a phone call and a list of suggestions!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #49  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

I tip 2$ for poor service for a meal for my bf and I
I tip 3$ for average service
I tip 4-5$ for awesome service
I tip 5+ for holidays (regular waitresses) or high priced meals

Coffee- I tip nothing (or a small amount of change if I have it) UNLESS, there is ONLY one person working, like a stand or a coffee place at a book store etc... they get at least 1$ because they are going to take the whole pot of tips home. (that is how I put myself through college, running a coffee bar, and I was awesome, and deserved every tip I received, and no I didn't claim it on my taxes either)

Maid @ Hotel- No I would not tip for one night, a few nights I would tip 2$ total

I don't use cabs or valets or bell hops, but I would think if I had money to spend on those things, I would also have a few bucks for those people as well.

Also, when I was in college I worked as a fitness instructor and consultant. I never received one tip, I made 8.50 an hour as a nationally certified fitness instructor. It paid half of the rent and utilities, and paid for gas, and left a little room to live a little as well. That was an awesome job, but I don't think the members had a clue how little I was making.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #50  

Quote:
I tip 2$ for poor service for a meal for my bf and I
I tip 3$ for average service
I tip 4-5$ for awesome service
I tip 5+ for holidays (regular waitresses) or high priced meals
Are you saying you only tip $5 for awesome service, no matter how much the meal cost?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #51  

Awesome service- believe me, I eat out a lot, it doesn't happen too often, if it does, than we usually become regulars there, or if we can't afford to do that, we make it known by tipping over 20% and telling the manager how awesome the service was.

Why, what do you give for awesome service?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #52  

Quote:
Why, what do you give for awesome service?
I almost always tip between 18%-20% unless the service is really bad. Even then, I rarely tip less than 10%, but I am not shy about speaking to the manager.

OTOH, if hte service is *awesome* ... really awesome ... then I'll tip 20%+. I'm also a big believer in sending emails or letters to corporate mentioning people by name when they provide over the top customer service. As a business owner, I know exactly how much kind words are appreciated.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 AM   #53  

I have just had 2 bad experiences in the last week with eating out, but forced myself to tip the minimum. Hey, if they get more than two tables an hour that tip well, then they are making more $ than me per hour! Maybe I am in the wrong business, or maybe I need cook for myself more... LOL (yes I do need to do that!!)
Old 04-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Let me know if you ever come to San Diego and want the BEST massage you've ever had.

*dances in place, raising her hand* pick me, pick me!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #55  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Are you really in San Diego? Did I miss something? You are one of my favorite people here!!! I most certainly want to see YOU, girlie!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

What really has always amazed me about working in an industry where you get tips (both in a salon and as a dancer) is that it is so unpredictable.

I have worked a 12 hour shift in the salon before, and have worked my fingers to the bone (3-4 haircuts an hour, all day, when it is 2 days before school starts...) and have come out of it all with just a few dollars in tips...and then you get the day where you might not be as busy, but the patrons are much better tippers, and you have enough to fill up your gas tank.

I have patrons in the restaurant who act as if I am completely invisible (why would you want to go to a restaurant where you know they have belly dancers, and not watch??? ) and then I will have patrons who will tip me $5 or $10 bills some nights, rather than singles...

You just never know when you go in each night, how it is going to work out.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #57  
I feel blah..

S/C/G: 217.5/193.0/140

Height: 5'3"

I only tip at restauraunts, the salon, and when I get pizza delivered.

Everyone looks for an excuse now a days to get tips, even people that make my coffee in the morning... pullleaseeeee.
Sneeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #58  
No description available.

This is such an interesting thread.

At a sit-down restaurant, I always tip at least 20%. Always. If the service is excellent, I'll do 30-40%. Part of it is that I remember the days when dh and I lived off his tip money. Part of it is that many of my patients work in the service industry and I know how hard it is to make ends meet.

Places where I get my food or coffee from the counter, I'll tip 10% or $2, whichever is higher.

I tip my hairstylist 20 to 30% (based on my total bill---including hair products).

I am embarassed that it did not occur to me to tip the guy who changed my oil a few weeks ago. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again. Eeeks.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I NEVER feel obligated to tip ANYONE...it's my money and I get to choose who I give it to.

I personally have a problem with people wanting to be tiped everywhere you turn around...you can pay $4 for a cup of coffee at starbucks and then they want a tip on top of that...ridiculous. A few dollars and cents here and there really add up over the course of a year. I tip my hairdresser and waitresses but that is about it.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #60  

Quote:
I NEVER feel obligated to tip ANYONE...it's my money and I get to choose who I give it to.
I apologize in advance if this comes out snarky because it's not meant to be ... but I really have a problem with this attitude. Sure, it's your money. but if you choose not to spend it, then you shouldn't go to places where tips are expected.

If you want to express your displeasure with the idea of tipping by boycotting a business or an industry, more power to you. But you shouldn't punish service people by using their services and refusing to tip.

IMO, of course.

And the thing about paying $4 for a cup of coffee and then "they" want a tip ... "they" (being the barristas) don't get that $4. Starbucks does. "They" merely work for a wage. And if they provide your coffee quickly, pleasantly, and get your order right, then why not toss your change or $1 into the cup? I don't get the attitude here. If you can afford to waste $4 on a cup of coffee (and hey - I drink Starbucks too, but I realize it's a total indulgent luxury), then what's the big deal about $0.50 in the tip cup?