Old 09-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #31  

Chicks - thanks for the advice. I'll keep a close eye on the intake - make sure I'm getting enough meals in. These first few days, I feel like sometimes I'm so cautious. I just want this to work! But then again, I need to be smart AND healthy about it too!

Keep up the good work, folks! WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #32  
Milkshake Thick

S/C/G: 170/170/145

Height: 5'4

okay today is my third day of fat smashing and I just knew by now I would be cheating and the diet would be over, however I have not cheated and this is easier than I thought it would be 6 more days of fruit and veggies! Quick question has anyone been eating oatmeal and if so what kind, don't wanna eat the wrong things
Old 09-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #33  
it's always something

AuntiCiCi, good luck with the headaches, I hope they pass soon. Are you eating the suggested amounts of each food group? You might be missing out on something. If it continues, please see your doctor

Jazzi, I eat oatmeal. I think steel cut oats are preferred, but rolled oats can be eaten as well. The hardest part for me was trying to cut out the Splenda in my oats. So I didn't do it, lol. However, I did reduce the amount I usually add so they were just slightly sweet. A lot of people will add chopped apples, vanilla, cinnamon, and other flavors to help.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #34  
No More Excuses

S/C/G: 220/203/160

Default I'm ready to try it!!

Hello everyone! I'm a 42 y/o female with about 50 lbs. to lose. I started working out using the Turbo Jam DVDs in May of this year. Since then, I've lost 12 lbs. without tweaking my diet much. I don't drink soda, nor coffee...mostly drink water and occasionally, tea with splenda. I have been a big "sweets" eater in the past, but since I've become more active, my cravings are less intense and I don't have binges anymore. At this point, I feel that I need a "structured" diet in order to be successful with weight loss. I believe it to be true that a combination of both exercise and diet is needed for successful weight loss. I've been to WW in the past, but got so sick and tired of counting points. Some people can adapt to this with no problem, but it just made me think about food constantly. I was recently thinking about rejoining WW to follow the core plan, but my heart just isn't in it.

I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks, just trying to get an idea of how everyone is liking this diet. Overall, it seems that most people are liking it and also having a lot of success. So today, I've jumped off the fence and have decided to give it a whirl. My DH is picking up my book today from the bookstore, so if it's an easy read, I'll be starting up on Saturday. I'm excited to try this...I think it'll be an easy adjustment for me.

So, wish me luck everyone and please keep posting. Good luck to us all.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #35  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hi bbobsgrl! The book is a very easy read, although there are times where it can be confusing. I really enjoy it!

I've been doing some stress eating the last few days, and I haven't bothered to go to the grocery to get more fresh produce. I've GOT to go tonight so I can stop this downward spiral!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #36  

Default and I am a sugaroholic

Hi - I have been lurking with you and looking for inspiration . . . and getting it!

Day 4 of Phase I and I am so happy. This has been easy to do and several blouses started being easier to button after day 2. I am severely addicted to sugar --- OK, I'll share this. I can eat sugar out of the sugar bowl. The last 4 days have been easy because I love a plan that does not require lots of meat. My only cheat has been a little splenda - 2 packs a day. One on the oatmeal and one in my herb tea after dinner.

One thing I miss from the WW boards is that people would list exactly what they ate occasionally. That would give me lots of ideas. Is anyone else ending up with 4 meals a day? I eat breakfast around 9, lunch at 12, snack at 4 and dinner about 7:30 or even 8. There does not seem to be enough time to get another meal in. Do you all eat fruit or something else like that?

And to the poster who wanted to visit IHOP -- don't do it! Really, that has been my downfall on every other plan -- thinking it was OK to go out and then make it up. The make ups just don't happen.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #37  

I like Desert Rose's idea about posting our daily intake. The more I think about it, and when I go back and review page 21 - the "Food/Drinks Allowed" page - I'm wondering if I AM eating the right amounts. I'm OK with the fruits and veggies part, and the brown rice and oatmeal is pretty straight forward but the diary is a bit fuzzy to me. Should we consume 2 cups milk AND 12 oz yogurt per day? And under the protein bullet, it says that beans are a good source, but I couldn't find where it said how much was OK. I've been adding just 1/2 cup either kidney beans or black beans to my rice at lunch. I hope that's OK... And what about canned fruit and veggies? I haven't eaten them yet - I wanted to ask first.

As far as eating today...I'll start...

8 am: 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, plain, plain, plain...
11 am: 1/2 cup wild rice, 1/2 cup black beans, 1 cup frozen veggies (corn, beans, peas, corn) - all nuked and mixed up - not that bad, really.
2 pm: 1 banana
5 pm: not there yet - probably going to have 4 egg whites with mushrooms and tomatos -maybe some wild rice to stretch it out, 1 cup milk
8 pm: again, probably a smoothie - yogurt with milk and strawberries

How does this look? I hope others do the same. I'm looking forward to seeing how others use the FM and create menus!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #38  
IALAC

S/C/G: 225/204/140

Height: 5'4"

Aunti CiCi,
I got terrible headaches and I wasn't a big soda/coffee drinker. I also have no history of headaches or migraines. I suspect it was the sugar and carbs... I don't know what else it could be. But hang in there. Mine lasted a few days and then I was fine.

Chicks,
I have a lot to lose. I am not rewarding/treating myself with food for as long as I can help it. I had a dream that I had cookies and I felt so bad about it in my dream. I just need to stay pure with this. I just say "I can have ____ later... anytime I can get that. So, not today." But that's just me. I know myself. If I crack, it may all come apart. It's a choice only you can make. Good luck!

Jazzi, I eat the Quaker oats. (Not the instant kind but the plain kind you cook on the stove) I added fresh blueberries.

bbob, I like the diet. Welcome and Good luck!

Desertrose, welcome! I do get 5 meals in.. my breakfast is around 7am, snack 10, lunch 1, snack 3 or 4, dinner 6 or 7. But my snacks are usually a piece of fruit or a baggie of carrots or if I'm home, a smoothie! Not really "meals."

I can't get on here everyday. I know I'm not likely to post my daily food. But when it comes to beans, I just have 1/2 can at a time with rice or other veggies or chicken now. I do have the milk everyday but the yogurt only sometimes. I have not had canned fruit yet but did buy it because I sometimes run out of fresh before I can get to the store. I buy the kind in juice only... no syrup. I have been eating applesauce (natural, no sugar added).

Good luck everyone. I'm almost finished with my first week on Phase 2. I'm feeling great and I hope you are too.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:07 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5' 7 "

HI everyone. I had a long post. But, for some reason... I got an error message saying that I wasn't logged in and that I couldn't post a reply. I WAS logged in. UGH! Anyway.. Welcome to the new members. I will post my menu now:
Phase 2 / Day 1

B~ 1 c. oatmeal w/cinnamon, banana, water

L~ 3 egg white omelet with onions and mushrooms, water

S~ 6 oz. yogurt

D~ 3 oz. grilled boneless skinless chicken breast, 1 c. brown rice pilaf(cooked in chicken broth and added mushrooms and onions), 6 sweet potato fries, and small veggie salad. Water.

S~ 6 oz. yogurt and handful of red grapes

Am I eating Okay??

Talk to you all tomorrow. I will try to do personals then.

Sherry

P.S. JEN~ GO TO THE STORE!! LOL! I sent dh to the store when he got home from work because we were out of fruit and yogurt. You are doing so good... I know you will get back on track.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:53 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 205/205/160

Height: 5'7

I completed Phase one today and I lost a total of 6 lbs. Since I am so hard on myself I thought I should have lost more. However I must remember that I did not workout 5 times a week for the entire time. But now I will pick up the paste on workout. I wanted to share this with you guys. In the event of hunger pangs eat watermelon for snacks it goes a long way it also helps you loose fluids
Attached Images
File Type: png 199.png (1.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-15-2006, 12:06 AM   #41  
No More Excuses

S/C/G: 220/203/160

Question Questions

Okay ladies, I got my book and read Phase I of the diet (decided not to go any further until I complete Phase I). Anyway, I have a couple of questions. Hopefully, you all can help me figure these things out. Okay, is the rice and oatmeal required daily or not? Page 21 provides a list of "Food/Drinks Allowed"...it doesn't say "Required" AND the majority of Phase 1 recipes do not include rice (if it does, it states that it's "optional"). Are these extras, just in case you get hungry or start to crave carbs? Also, is the milk required? One more...are sweet potatoes allowed in Phase 1?

I think it would be awesome if there were sample menu ideas provided. I just don't want to start and then find out at the midway point that I've been doing it all wrong.

My plan is to begin smashing on Saturday, Sept. 16th. I really feel confident that I can do this, I just need to plan out my meals for the entire 9 days. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me figure this stuff out.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #42  

I've been following the plan for a few days now, though I'm not sure if it's been strict as a friend borrowed my book. Hoping by this weekend I'll have it back and can really follow it to the T. However just by cutting out extra carbs and sugar (not a soda/coffee person either) I too got headaches, but they went away in a few days. Hopefully yours will too AuntieCiCi! I took it as my body starting to detox.

My menus have been looking similar to this:

B: 1-2 egg whites scrambled with about a cup of mixed veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms, and carrots)
S1: piece of fruit or some fresh veggies
L: 1/2 cup brown rice with stir fried veggies (non stick spray) spiced with lots of garlic and ginger, maybe tofu too
S2: same as snack 1
D: homemade veggie chili for at least today, yesterday, and tomorrow as I made a HUGE pot, served over 1/2 cup brown rice

I should add that I'm already a vegetarian so this was not a terribly hard change to make to my diet

bbobsgrl, I don't have my book with me, but I was under the impression that the food amounts listed were maximums that we may have during the day, not required, just cause I don't think I could eat that much during one day!I also think the rice could be omitted, but I'm sure that and the oatmeal help with you feeling a little fuller for a slightly longer period of time. Somebody correct if I'm wrong on either point though. And I'm pretty sure sweet potatoes are totally fine for phase 1.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #43  
it's always something

I'm almost positive that we are supposed to eat those amounts. I did and I still lost 6 pounds in P1. I added it all up and even with the whole 2 cups of cooked rice, 1 cup cooked oatmeal, 2 cups milk, 12 oz yogurt, 4 egg whites, lowfat dressing and oil, and lots of fruits and veggies, it still averaged only between 1300 and 1500 calories. So it's not as much as it sounds If you spread it out between 5 meals, you won't feel as stuffed. Everyone that has done this has been happy because they've not been hungry, so they've not been tempted to eat things they shouldn't have.

Also, it's VERY important to eat from all of the food groups and not eliminate anything, even the rice. If you do, then you end up with an unbalanced diet that's no better than a bad fad diet like the hot dog and ice cream diet. By eating the amounts listed, you'll get a fair amount of all the nutrients you need, even protein. If you do feel like you have to eat less of something, I'd recommend cutting it back by about 25%, and not cutting it out.

I think that the book was written in a way that is very confusing.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 179/149/127

Height: 5 ft. 7 in

Just weighed in after finishing 9 days of Phase 1. Lost 3.5 pounds. Like I posted earlier, I have a really hard time eating 5 times a day with my schedule so that is probably why I didn't lose more. I should have tried harder.

Plus, I had already kicked caffine, sugar, red meat, alcohol (which is how I lost the inital weight prior to starting the Fat Smash) and most all junk prior to this and was only drinking water - the only change for me was taking away turkey, chicken and whole wheat bread. I am walking 3 miles a day and it takes me about 40 minutes to complete, so I guess I could have been trying to work out at a higher intensity. DH lost 5.5 pounds without really trying from eating my cooking on this plan. (i swear, men always lose weight faster than women!!)

I will say that I didn't feel deprived and am satisified with any loss as long as it is permanent! I didn't expect to lose a dramatic amount, especially when I realized I wasn't doing a good job at the five meals a day. I enjoyed the food, for sure. I am looking forward to phase II.

My goal is to kick up the intensity of my workouts. I could still talk while walking so I think I need to get my heart rate higher. Another goal is to keep trying to eat five small meals instead of 3 regular meals.

Happy Friday to all and thanks for the continued motivation and inspiration!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #45  
Less30

Default Quantity

I had the same question about the amount of each food. I emailed a question to fatsmashdiet@aol and this is the response I received.

The items listed are the max that you can have, but you’re not expected to eat EVERYTHING on the list EVERY day. That would be too much food. Keep SMASHING!!

All the best,

Dr. Ian-