Old 04-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/189.6/143

Height: 5'4"

Default Surviving day 1 of FS Extreme

So who all here is doing Extreme? I am most of the way through day 1, and for the most part, it has gone pretty well. I did feel "extremely" (LOL) light-headed earlier in the day, after meals 1 & 2. Is this normal? I had a peppermint hard candy to get a little sugar and felt fine afterwards. I am quite afraid of the brown rice tomorrow - my body will be freaking out with all this healthy food, but that is a good thing!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #2  
Kelli

S/C/G: 187/136.8/128

Height: 5'3

I am a very disciplined dieter and this has been a very difficult day, I'm on Day 1 too Im tired and hungry Ive fat smashed before, so I know it gets better, this is just VERY low calorie and I hope I am not destroying my metabolism.....
Old 04-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #3  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

I'm contemplating Day 1 right now... it's early in the day, so I have a few hours before commiting.

Day 1 menu with optional calories and snacks is only 800 calories. That's VLC by anyone's standards. Optifast people consume that many calories and they're usually supervised by a doctor. Add an hour of cardio on top of that, and Dr. Ian starts looking pretty irresponsible.

I have both books, and I have to say the first one seems way more reasonable. I like the structure of Extreme, but it's just too little food for anyone over 4 feet tall.

I think I'll be combining the two plans so that I don't pass out at work. My co-workers tend to frown upon that.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #4  
Kelli

I know...thats my concern too. My last two days have been under 1000 calories and today is day 3. I havent lost more than a few ounces and Im afraid my body is in starvation mode....I might go back to the regular plan.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/172/130

Height: 5"4

I'm on day 1 of extreme fat smash, when I looked at the menu at first, I kept thinking, where's the real meal come in? But I'm going to stick to it and see how it goes. 'Cause the eating whatever I want thing isn't working for my waistline, so maybe Dr. Ian Smith's will. I sure am going to miss bread though!!! Heck I'd even settle for a piece of whole wheat light bread!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #6  

Don't worry, it gets easier. Day 1 is definitely the hardest. I started last Saturday, and my husband and I usually go out for dinner on Saturdays. When I served meal 4 (1/2 cup of beans and 2 veggies), he looked at me like, "You've got to be kidding!" However, the past few days haven't been so bad. I am an absolute carb junkie - chips, sweets, crackers, cereal, you name it - so I am shocked that I have not been going crazy wanting those things. Although I am SO looking forward to being able to have cereal and peanut butter next week!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #7  
Kelli

Its true, its much easier after Day 1...Im at the same place as Scoutie and do NOT feel hungry AT ALL. I even sat at Wendys with my kids today while they ate and felt great. Insane children though..they didnt even want the free frostie that came with their meals...they MUST NOT be MY children, LOL!!! Anyway, the scale is slow to move as it is with me on ANY plan, but I am also doing MASSIVE gym workouts so I am afraid my body might think its starving. Next week is more food, so that should be better.....
Old 04-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #8  

Thanks for the supports guys. It really does help to know that someone else is in the food trenches with you. I'm gonna stick with it and hopefully wearing a bikini by this summer -- maybe?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/134/120

hey guys,
i just completed day one today of EFS and I kept staring at the "Day 1" page in the book thinking that Dr. Ian must have forgotten a meal, or several- meal #2 was a cup of fruit!? sheesh! I want to stick with it, but I am also training for a 1/2 marathon and I'm not so sure that few of calories is a good idea. but I also don't want to start doing my own moderations cause then Im not really following the plan...we'll see how the next few days go. Oh yeah, I can't seem to find anywhere that says refried beans are ok---are they? and one last thing- i HATE rice- white, brown and whatever the heck dirty rice is...is there a substitute for rice? couscous? anything?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #10  
reallywantingcake

S/C/G: 181/175/150

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

Default I cracked-gotta start over.

Well, I got through the toughest days of the first cycle of EFS and was ok..
I work at an office during the day, so I can take in the food/drinks I need and have them when I am supposed to eat.. However, I also have a teenage son who has friends over, and has baseball games like 5 nights a week, we have a beagle puppy who is driving me insane... and I also deliver pizza 2 nights a week to bring in some extra cash.. I was fine the first 2 days, but, the rushing caught up with me, I didn't have the food with me, and I CRACKED big time yesterday.. Had cini-minis for breakfast, thinking I would just not have the snacks but, when I had the mashed potatoes and barbecued chicken for dinner, I knew I was dusted! I was having those individual packs of the oreo's (100 calorie bags) for my snacks. Just one of them a day, and something not so good for the other snack.. figured 2 bags that tasted that good per day couldn't be good for the diet.. and I agree with you guys, I thought where is all the food when I looked at the EFS meal plans.. I couldn't wait to get the book, and I just wanted to cry when I saw it.. I am glad to see I am not the only one who is thinking the other plan would be a better idea..GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE
Old 04-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #11  

I'm not sure about refried beans. It doesn't say they are allowed, but then again it doesn't say they aren't...hmm...I have been making some of my own substitutions that are not necessarily what Dr. Ian had in mind. I figure overall I am still eating better than I do when left to my own devices, so it can't be all that bad. I mean, come on, I ate a SOY BURGER fer pete's sake!

I have started having vegetarian baked beans, even though baked beans are not allowed. I have tried a few different kinds of beans that I have found gross, so I am cheating a little there. Also, for the whey protein shake, I have been using SlimFast Optima...I know it's not the same, but oh well. My biggest substitution came last night at a Braves game: we went to Chili's for dinner (guiltless grill chicken platter), but I thought the rice was gross and didn't eat it. I haven't always been finishing all the brown rice (ugh) or beans each day, so I figured a low-fat icookie dough ice cream mix at the Braves game could count as a snack. I also had one glorious bite of a hot dog, and it was WORTH IT! Back on plan today, and I am good to go. Starting cycle 2 on Saturday, and am looking to forward to a big bowl of cereal on Sunday!!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #12  

Hello everyone, I'm on day 2 of EFS and boy when he says extreme he means it. Anyway, I made it through day 1 ok, except for one cheat, we had friends over for a few drinks last nigh and I had a screwdriver (OJ & Vodka) but I made it with the light OJ so that helps a little I guess. About the refried beans thing, I found vegetarian refried beans at Whole Foods and they're great--yummy!! Low-cal, no carb, no fat. Well here's to keeping on girls
Old 04-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #13  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchickie View Post
hey guys,
i just completed day one today of EFS and I kept staring at the "Day 1" page in the book thinking that Dr. Ian must have forgotten a meal, or several- meal #2 was a cup of fruit!? sheesh! I want to stick with it, but I am also training for a 1/2 marathon and I'm not so sure that few of calories is a good idea. but I also don't want to start doing my own moderations cause then Im not really following the plan...we'll see how the next few days go. Oh yeah, I can't seem to find anywhere that says refried beans are ok---are they? and one last thing- i HATE rice- white, brown and whatever the heck dirty rice is...is there a substitute for rice? couscous? anything?
No! If you're training for a 1/2 marathon, you simply need more protein carbs than the plan allows. I would adopt some of the concepts, but leave Extreme Fat Smash for after your event...

But, that's just me. And I'm a fellow runner who is planning to run a 1/2 marathon in October.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #14  
Kelli

I also heavily train and think this might be TOO extreme for me....I dont understand how he expects 65 min cardio or double workouts per day on such little calories....
Old 04-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 134/134/120

yeah, I thought about it and I agree that I need more calories if I am training for a run...I think maybe I can stick with his ideas, like eating 4 times a day and definitley stick with the foods, but eat a little more than he is allowing. I will still post here though- this site is WAY better than the other "official" Fat Smash site. And I still want to lose this weight- if I am lighter I am hoping I can run faster!

oh yeah, I think I will stick with refried beans, no fat, vegetarian kind seem ok. As for the rice, maybe I can learn to like it ??