Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #136  
KAR

Morning Ladies,
Well I got my Walk and Jog in this morning. So that brings my total up to 52 miles walked this month. So I guess I met my goal already since I said 50 miles.
Tracy I know what you mean about the kids and why some many of them are obsese. I was surprised last year when we came back from summer vacation and how many of the kids had gotten so heavy over the summer. I asked that what they had done over the summer and you guess it, played video games all day long and ate junk food. So I was surprised when we came back to school in August that so many of the kids looked like they had lost some weight over the summer. So parents must becoming aware of the dangers of letting their children sit in front of a computer or tv all day long and eat uncontrolled portions of food. So that is one reason I stress that my dh and I do stuff with his kids. His little girl is only 9 years old and already weighs 135.4 pounds. We are working really hard with her to provide her with the knowledge to make healthier choices when it comes to food and drinks. But it is hard because her mom and stepfather are very heavy and see it as we are being mean towards her. I am just concerned that she will develop diabetes, heart problems and high blood pressure if she doesn't take off some of the weight soon. Does anyone have any advice on howI can help my stepdaughter, without getting into a fight with her mother? It would be greatly appreciated.
Well my kids free time is almost over with. Need to get them back on track for the morning. I want to be able to reward them at the end of the week with a movie. Last week we didn't get to watch and movie and had to do work all day long on Friday.
Have a wonderful day! Keep those feet moving and watch the scale move down instead of up.
Kerry
Old 09-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #137  
KAR

Welcome BluWolf! Glad that you found the board. I have found that these ladies help keep my focused and motivated. We all have the same goal in mind, it is to get healthier and fitter. So once again welcome. Hope you enjoy our little walking group.
Kerry
Old 09-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #138  

Hi everyone. I'm having a slow month but I did buy a pedometer. Now I don't know how to count my miles. I had no idea how much I walk everyday. I could probably make my goal this month, even though I've had a slow start, if I start using my pedometer. Next month I'll go for 100 miles. I think it will keep me motavated to take a lot of little tiny walks through out the day. We'll see....
Old 09-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #139  

Kerry,

Wow... your dealing with a tuff one there! The mother will never see what your trying to do! At least not until she is ready to. And yes, the daughter is going to use rebellion and more. However, in the long run... the little girl will respect you a **** of a lot more later in life for helping her now! I have to tell myself that all of the time because my daughter is almost 11 and she is between 96 and 100 pounds. I think it is to much. And I to fear all of the health problems that comes with being over weight.

This will probably be the hardest thing you will have to deal with. However, as long as your husband is behind you... go for it!!! You don't need to get the mothers approval to make healthy choices for this little girl! If the mom wants to live the life of being over weight, that is her problem! But it does not have to be pushed on a child. Do all that you can do! No matter. She will see one day that you did it for her own good and respect you and apreciate it.

I wish I could help more then just the measly little info. here. But I truly have no idea. But I do believe she has to follow your rules at your house! And as long as your husband (her father) agrees... go for it!!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #140  

I did the 3-mile WATP with weights so I'm up to 32 miles for the month. Yay me!

Do you believe that it is 100 degrees here today? It will probably stay quite warm here until mid-October. Then it will be so nice to walk outside. The only time you can walk outside is early morning.

Kerry, I agree with Tracy. It is your house and on top of that, it is your responsibility to set a good example. What you cook and eat in your house is not her mother's business. However, I do think you have to tread very lightly in the way you approach her weight. For instance, don't single her out for diet food or vegetables or whatever if you're not eating that way, too. Don't have ice cream in the house if she can't have any. That wouldn't be fair. But there is only so much you can do.

Alicat, if your pedometer doesn't measure miles, there are formulas for figuring the amount of steps in a mile. It would probably be a good idea to use the pedometer every day for a week and take an average, and then set your goals based on that.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:08 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Kerry,

First of all: Props to you for your genuine concern and willingness to be proactive in your stepdaughter's development. You've received some good suggestions from the other gals here. I agree and can only add that doing exactly what you are doing is already the best example of making choices to do what is necessary to take care of ourselves.

Shared child custody can be a delicate issue even without specific concerns like weight, studies, behavior, etc. I can well appreciate your sensitivity and concern with not causing any ill will with her mother, particularly if you already realize that you and she hold differing fitness lifestyles and food plans. Just as you wouldn't insist on changing the mother's way of eating (without her consent), you do not have to cease your own good example to your stepdaughter.

Through the time you and your dh spend with her, she can learn that activities, particularly fun and recreation, does not always have to center around food. When dining or celebrating with special meals, you can use that opportunity to provide good and wholesome dinners.

I was extremely fit when my daughter was younger. She began to put on weight as a young child. Everyone in the family, me included, went into a subtle yet profound panic. We all tried to fix the problem. It only got worse. My first faux pas would be trying to convince my daughter, enthusiastically by piling on explanations upon definitions of which were the nutritional foods, exercises and assuring her that she would feel better if she made better food choices (particularly when away from me), etc.

Okay, I don't have to tell you - this backfired on us both - BIG TIME. Meanwhile, she'd then begin to focus on some "junk" item I named, preferring it to whatever "healthy du jour" I was dishing out. I sabotaged myself (and her, unintentionally). Being a curious child, she simply rebelled. She's come full circle, but it's been a tough learning curve.

Your dear stepdaughter will ultimately make her own choices. It's so natural to want to make it all better for her - right now. In the meantime, no need to argue or even get into a discussion with her mother about it, especially in front of your stepdaughter. If SD challenges you with something like, "Mommy gives me..." or "lets me have...", I would just respond with a good ol' girl, "well, isn't that nice honey. Here, this is what we like to eat...." It basically comes back to the fact it's "your house, your rules." Sounds like you are doing great, Kerry. She's a fortunate little girl to have so caring a Step Mom.

Hugs,
Jean
Old 09-19-2005, 11:25 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

1.5 miles
Old 09-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #143  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Hi everyone! My goal this week is to walk at least 7,000 steps each day (I have hit 10,000 steps each day for about 10 days, but some days I had to walk in place at night to meet it.) Also, to drink more water than I have been.. no specifics on that tho. Just more! I'm only down to 214.5.. but TTOM just hit.. and I read somewhere that the very best day to weigh for the month is seven days after we start. So next Monday is my official September weight. I write down this one day each month. We'll see how I've done.

I am trying to go two weeks trusting myself to eat right and lose. Not counting fat or calories (on paper). Just in my head, mentally keeping general track of it. I think I can stop writing it all down. What makes me mad is that I can't give up chocolate but I allow for it. I just think if I could give it up completely I'd lose so much more. :-(

Glad to see you all staying motivated. I am motivated more each time I look in my closet. Those new clothes ranging from 18, to 16, to 14 are so cute! (I'm in about a 20 now, some 18s.)

Wishing you all good determination this week! You cannnnnnn do it!!!! Hugsssss!!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 AM   #144  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Ok, here is the article in case anyone wanted to read it. It's still on the AOM site under the archived stories. I just wish I could lose some more! LOL. I'm greedy!

Keeping Up With the Kids — Selina’s Success Story

It’s amazing how small children can be such big motivators. For Selina Sills, the desire to keep up with her young children was a major catalyst for losing weight. “My goal is to become lean, healthy, and strong,” affirms Selina. “I want to play with my children at the park… climb, jump, and act like I’m their age. To enjoy them, roller skate with them, and go horseback riding.”

Healthy Lifestyle, Healthy Body

Having been heavy for years, Selina had tried numerous weight loss plans with varying results. After putting her mind to losing the excess weight once and for all, Selina took a moderate and consistent approach: exercising and eating healthfully.
So far, Selina has lost more than 60 pounds and she’s still counting. “It’s a long road to success,” admits Selina. “And that’s okay. I can handle it.”
As Selina has grown stronger she’s gradually increased her activity. Currently she walks at least 10,000 steps each day and has added toning and flexibility exercises. “I never thought walking would become so easy,” says Selina. “I can walk 8 miles with no problem now. I couldn’t do that before.”

Smart food choices and portion control have also been a cornerstone of Selina’s success. “At restaurants, I ask for the take-out tray when I receive my food,” says Selina. “Then I can put half directly in it to take home.”
Her healthy lifestyle is paying off — not only in weight loss but in increased energy and self-image. “So far my new way of life is working well for me,” Selina confirms. “But I give myself permission to be flexible when I need to. Never believe that anything is set in stone. Things change; sometimes we need to change with them.”

Selina’s Tips for Success

Selina offers these tips for other America On the Move® members:

Be consistent — do something every single day and you’ll see a difference in your fitness level over time

Carry a bag of cereal or plain popcorn with you at all times to ward off midday hunger and help you resist the urge to stop for fries

Exercise in the morning because things will come up during the day that demand your attention, and your workout may never get done if you don’t find a slot for it

Find an activity you enjoy; you’ll be more likely to succeed in the long term

Make exercise and eating right a habit — if you want to be fit, you must behave as fit people do, which means staying active and eating healthfully

Beware of sabotage by non-supporters; some people aren’t too excited when a person they know loses lots of weight — you may never understand the real reason behind this… just remember that your weight loss is something you deserve

Compete only with yourself — remember every person’s body is different, and aim to outdo yourself (such as last week’s number of repetitions at the gym, last month’s total miles walked)

Take photos so you’ll have documentation of your weight loss journey — it’s motivating to see how far you’ve come in changing your habits

Realize that losing weight takes time and that maintaining it takes a lifetime.

Tracking Progress

Selina also recommends tracking your physical activity and healthy eating. In just 3 short months she logged over 1 million steps on AOM. In addition to online logging, Selina keeps a calendar on her bedroom wall. “Each month I write at the top that I vow to continue my journey to wellness,” says Selina. “Then I sign my name. That is my commitment to myself that I won’t give up on this.” Daily, Selina tracks her steps, toning exercises, food, water, and breathing. She checks each item if she met her daily goal or crosses them out if she had an off day.
The visual reminder, along with tracking her progress on the AOM website, inspires Selina to keep going.
Now she’s able to keep up with her children — and getting more positive as well as energetic every week.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:04 AM   #145  

Hi guys

Ok I got the treadmill thing worked out and I am going to aim for 30 miles this month because I am just starting out and don't want to make it too difficult for myself. I am happy to have all of you for support and to make myself accountable! You are all such inspirations to me! Keep it up!
Danica
Old 09-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Default Great Article!

Selina,

Many thanks for providing this article - good job! It is exactly what I needed to read this morning. Missed my early a.m. workout and feeling the lack of energy here at work. Sometimes, using my mind to get motivated eventually gets my body to follow

Your ideas are tools I can use. Logging progress is very helpful to me. I rarely print out posts, but this one offers so many beneficial suggestions.

I particularly liked the bedroom wall calendar, especially crossing out "off days." That one method may be my saving grace! Typically, when I experience those "off days," it's the first trigger of a spiraling down effect. Slowly, I begin to curtail my workouts, not pay attention to what I'm eating, etc. If I can allow myself those "off" times, cross 'em out and MOVE ON - Wow, that right there, could make a huge difference!

Thanks again, Selina. Continued success with your inspiring and remarkable goals.

Jean
Old 09-20-2005, 11:15 AM   #147  

I haven't checked in in about 3 or 4 days, but I have still been active. I am up to 40 miles for the month of September.

Keep walking ladies... looking good, feeling better.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:36 AM   #148  
KAR

Morning All,
Thank you all for your wonderful words of wisdom where my stepdaughter is considered. It really helped me a lot. I will continue to be a good role-model for her. I just want what is best for her and for her not to go through the hardships and heartaches that I had to experience for some time in my life.
I walked this morning and let me tell you I really didn't want to do it. But I forced myself into doing and felt some much better. Hopefully it will give me the engery and strength I need to get through my day.
Last night at TOPS, I lost another 3/4 pounds. So that makes it 9 1/4 pounds since last month when I started back to school on the 22nd. So I am feeling that I might just reach my goal weight by my birthday in May.
Selena, Thanks for the article. It was a great motivation for me. Keep up the great work!
Have a wonderful day ladies! Keep those feet moving in order to lose those extra pounds we don't want anymore.
Kerry
Old 09-21-2005, 12:04 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 160/149/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi,

Long time since I have been here but I was thinking of you guys!

I walked 26.25 miles in August and so far in September I have walked 24.75 miles. I'm pretty happy about that.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:31 PM   #150  

Salina, thanks for sharing the article. You must be thrilled to be in the spotlight! And I know we all appreciate your tips.

I'm at 38 miles. I got my 2 new dvds - a kicka** circuit from Karen Voigt called Firm and Burn. I did that one last night. Whew! Tonight I did the 3 mile Power Walk, which uses weights the entire 3 miles. I think I'll be sore tomorrow.

Stay happy and healthy, everybody!
Closed Thread