Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

ya know - some days 6 miles feels like 6 hours!
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #47  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Talking

*CATHY*
You can say that again !!!!!
I felt like that yesterday while walking...
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!

{{{Hugs}}}
<><

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
SunnyD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Hey girls!!!! Hubby bought me a new bike yesterday and I'm so excited to go out on a ride!!! I'll be recording my bike riding time here with you guys!! Its such a cute little bike too!!!!!

Sheila 6 miles is great!!!! Keep it up!!

Sunny I'm so glad you had a great weekend with your DH!!! My second anniversary is coming up and I want to plan something special for him/us like a night at a nice hotel and dinner in the room etc... I can't wait because we don't really get to ever do anything with just the two of us.

Kristi how are you doing you busy mom you?

OMG you guys I forgot to tell you!!! I have a tan for the first time in 3 years!!! I got a little bit on my legs and a lot on my arms and shoulders!!! and even my Feet have a tan!! I was so excited because in the past I've tried to cover myself up from everyone but now I'm not doing it anymore!!

Well I better go get my kids dressed AGAIN!! Teagan has torn her diaper off and is crawling around bare bottomed YIKES and Taylor is brushing her teeth bare bottomed as well!!! You would think I was running a nudist camp

have a great day!!
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:23 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

You ladies are just too much today. I'm so thankful once again. I planned to not exercise today and now you all have made me laugh so hard I feel like I've burned plenty of cals anyway ............Sheila, great job over the holiday weekend. Hope Curves goes good too!.......Cathy, as always terrific job walking and strength training alike. Praying all goes well at the Dr tomorrow...........Michelle, you run a nudist camp too?!?!?! It's so hard to keep clothes on them all...sometimes I'd like to just join them lol...I'm so happy for you. All your new confidence to go out and show some skin..the sun just feel so awesome....Be proud girl!!........Sunny, You have so many smileys in your post, are you sure you just "napped" on that new mattress?!?!?! Glad you had a good day!.......Lynne, Where the heck are you girl?.......As for me, it's all ablout baseball and softball again today. Everybody won again. I don't know what's going on. We are a very small school district so usually we don't do so well at sports, but these kids really know what they're doing. In all honesty though I'm really starting to need a Kristi day. My Dh is wonderful, but when the kids schedules are so full he always seems to get more needy as well and I'm ready to have just even 6 hrs where nobody wants anything from me. Do you all feel this way too sometimes? Anyway, I'm skipping exercise today and will be at it again tomorrow.

Have a great one

Kristi

9 miles 3 strength
lovnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #50  

I am such a slacker here. I have not done any real walking but I did swim today. I plan to about 5 days a week for the next 6 weeks. I signed my boys up for swim lessons so while they are in lessons I can get in the pool for Family Swim. I stay in the deep end so forced to swim or at least tread water. My legs are a bit tired after today being in the water for just over an hour but it's a good tired.
WNYmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #51  

Wow Janine - an hour in the water sounds like a great workout to me!

I notice you have lost 60 lbs! that is AWESOME! you must feel great! was wondering how you lost the 60 lbs if you wouldn't mind telling us your story.

thanks,
cathy
Old 07-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #52  

Cathy, It's not a very exciting story and no majic pill. I altered my diet and invested in a decent treadmill. Took me many months but I did it slow. Never more than 3 lbs in one weeks time. I have been stuck for the past 6 to 9 months. I would like to drop another 15lbs and hope the swimming gets me over the hump. Granted I have been neglecting my treadmill. Hurt my back quite a while ago and walking was tourture so stopped walking. Just got out of the habit. I am happy with what I have lost so far but would like to get over this hump and down closer to my final goal weight of about 135.
WNYmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:53 PM   #53  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

Well, I hope no one minds me joining in...!

Unfortunately I've never been athletically inclined (infact, you know the person who always got picked last for team sports? Well, I was *AFTER* that person!), so I suppose walking is one of the only options I have for exercise where I'm pretty much guaranteed I won't get hit in the head with a ball of any sort.

I enjoy walking... once I get out there. I just need that kick in the a$$ out the door. Eeesh.

Any tips/advice on how to get/keep motivated?

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #54  

Do any of you use a pedometer? If so, do you find that they are accurate? How many steps should you take to help you lose weight. I do a 20 min strength training in the morning and am trying to hit over 12000 steps per day. I have been doing it a week. I can usually eat less and lose 10 pounds in a week but with the muscle gain, I have only lost 5. I already see a difference in my muscle tone. What do you all think. Is this enough exercize if I limit my calories to under 1100 per day to lose weight long term?
bellasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:55 PM   #55  

Good evening everyone! I finally got back to walking today. I had such a terrible June and noticed that I was starting to put weight back on so decided that today was gonna be a new start. I also have a dr. appt. in about 2 weeks and want to be able to say that I'm exercising and eating right .

I walked on the treadmill for 2 miles and rode the exercise bike for 6 miles today. I have to say that I was inspired by all the posts on this thread.

Have a goodnight and I'll see ya tomorrow! --- Vickie ---
mrs.beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:21 AM   #56  

Smile

Good Morning Gals!
I feel like this kitty this morning (sooooo sleepy - big yawn) and I want to go back to bed... it's rainy and dark out and I just cannot wake up! This post will be brief because I have to leave for Curves in about 30 minutes, so... ... as Arnold would say, "I'll be back" I just wanted to Welcome the new gals to our thread

*VICKIE* *LAURIE* & *MEL*
WoW!!! How wonderful to see so many new ladies join in!

Hope you ~ALL~ have a great start to your morning ~
that will last well into your day!

Catch you later...
SunnyD <><

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old 07-07-2004, 10:18 AM   #57  

Good morning ladies....Janine, I think swimming is an awesome choice for exercise. No stress on any joints, it's fun, plus I love how light I feel in the water. Enjoy!....Cathy, Good morning lady!.....Mel, I too was always picked last in PE. lol (it's funny now) You've come to the right place for encouragement and knowledge. The ladies her are the best......Laurie, I wish you the best on your weight loss journey. Saying that I have to express that I fear your goals may be a little high. Losing 10# a week is very unhealthy and can rarely be attained more than 1 wk in a row. You run the risk of losing muscle you also run the risk of becoming so discourage when you don't lose at your goal rate that you quit all together. Please, don't hate me. This is a journey I've been on a long time. I have successfully lost and kept off 35 pounds for 4+ yrs. As you read more posts and become aquainted with more of the ladies here who have reached or almost reached goal. You will see they have done it by losing 1-3 pounds a week. Welcome to a thread full of wonderful women who will support you all the way. Truly, I'm not a know it all. I just want you to be successful and slow but sure has worked for me and a lot of others as well. I apologize if I've overstepped my bounds..........Vickie, Your numbers are awesome. Terrific job! 2 mile on TM and 6 miles biking in one day WTG.........Sunny, Hope your morning at Curves was fun. I see your egg's on TTYL.............As for me. I'm planning 2 miles on TM and 2 miles on the trail while my kids are at the library. I have to make sandwiches for the blood drive in town today. We have no ball. It's raining for the 3rd day in a row. When is it going to be summer?!?!?! Have a great day ladies....Sheila, Your post is on the next pg. I'll catch up with you later!!!

Kristi

JuNe MiLeS : 13 StReNgTh SeSsIoNs : 3
Old 07-07-2004, 10:24 AM   #58  

Sheila, You're so funny. I too feel the same way about additional miles. If I have the time I (and the weather's nice) I love to just keep om walking. Every week you sound so much happier, more energetic, and confident than the woman we first met. I'm so happy for you. What has your niece decided, boyfriend or service?

Have a great day,

Kristi
Old 07-07-2004, 11:06 AM   #59  

Smile

I'mmmm Back
I got home from Curves and spent some time watering the flower pots (the rain never gives them enough water) and then I cut some hydrangea's to give my neighbors... we have three widowed ladies that are our neighbors and who doesn't love flowers to perk up their day After I delivered the flowers I came in and walked the 2 Miles I said I was going to walk yesterday and didn't So I got in my 2 miles and my Curves in today...

*~*~*

Hi *SHEILA*
Another 6 Miles!!!! ! Good for you!!! I cannot remember the last time I walked 6 miles. Do you have a measured path or are you using a pedometer? You did Curves and 6 Miles... I am tuckered out doing Curves and 2 Miles I give you allot of credit!

*CATHY*
Sure do hope that all is going well for you at your Dr's appointment today. Just want you to know that *I'm thinking of you and prayers are going out* that you come home with some really great news. You have been working so very hard.

*JANINE*
Good to see you again I do hope we see you again soon --- I know it sure does help me to stay "on track" when I post what I am planning on doing for the day here --- cuz just like Kristi said about herself, when I say I am going to do it I DO, if I don't do what I said I would... then it doesn't feel right at all and not only have I lied to myself I have misled you all. So... ... it's much easier to do what I say I will do.

I think you have done an awesome job so far in your weight loss so far Down 60 lbs.! Those last few lbs. are always the toughest to get off! I had lost 85lbs. once before (in 1985 - 1992) and I remember when I got to that 145 lb. mark and wanted to see 135 it seemed to take forever! In 1992 after some tragic things happened in my life --- to cope I began to eat again for comfort and gain most of it back again I so wished I had exercised the stress away then instead of falling into old ways... I wouldn't be going through this all over again now I feel that way just trying to get to 150 !!! Again... I think you are doing wonderfully! Don't beat yourself up... just come here and we'll keep you smiling

*KRISTI*
Hey there girl... doesn't it feel good to get in a good laugh! It's good for the soul... I know he wanted to... but I was so tuckered out! Speaking of Joe, he is going for his sleep study on the 11th of August. He'll leave the house at 8:30pm and should be home by 7am the next morning. I will miss him! I cannot remember the last time I slept all by myself. Well, I won't be all by myself with 3 cats on the bed, but they don't cuddle me like he does He has been doing so much better knowing he needs to sleep on his side, he looks better too - so it will be interesting to hear about the results.

*MICHELLE*
Your plans for your 2nd Anniversary sound so nice --- I am sure that anything you do together - alone - will be great & he will love it!

It's so important to keep the marriage alive between the two of you when you have children --- any couple with children. Children demand so much of your time, so that's why you two should nitch out a bit of time for yourselves --- even after your anniversary, you know... like a date once a week or even twice a month. Allot of people comment on Joe & I and how close we are, but we do not have children to interrupt our conversations, dates, or our private time together and that makes a huge difference. That's why a marriage with children is so much more work... making the time for one another to keep that fire burning is a great thing to do Remember that after they have grown and left the home - it's just the two of you again and so many look at one another like strangers when that happens... I just reread my post to you --- sorry if I seemed to be on a soapbox Joe & I just hate to see so many marriages go bad because they didn't make time for one another, you know

When is your Anniversary?

*VICKIE*
Yeahhh on your 2 Mile Walk & 6 Mile Bike-ride ***WooHoo*** ... that is a great start. I too had a terrible June, but am doing so much better so far this month.

*LAURIE*
I use a pedometer when I take my walks outdoors... I don't really pay attention to the steps taken because they aren't accurate, but I do find that the miles I walk and the calories burned match up with my T-Mill if I wear it while walking on my T-Mill. So that is why I wear it walking outdoors so I am able to keep track. I have read that the average person takes 2,000 steps per mile, so if you can walk 5 miles a day you will get in your 10,000 steps.

*MEL*
I so know what you mean about consistency. The only way I stay consistent is to have someone to answer to (like posting here) & "just doing it" without putting so much thought into it. I find that when I think about doing something too long that most times I don't do it, cuz I just kept putting it off for one thing or another --- did I make any sense there For instance... ... when I wake up in the morning (no matter the time) and find that the weather is good outdoors I just get up (all groggy and with my eyes barely opened) and grab all my walking clothes that I have set aside and my pedometer that I keep in the same place so I know where it is in the dark and go! I start off soooo slow, but the feeling of the fresh air and hearing the beautiful sounds of the morning it is well worth it. As you stated - it's just "beginning to do" it that is the hardest. Once I begin then I am so glad I did. Some days are so much harder then others, but I am always glad I did. The same goes for my T-Mill, I just hop on and once I begin I feel better. I sure do sleep allot better at night! I use to have insomnia --- not anymore! I do the same thing when it comes to going to Curves --- just get out. It is much harder to do during the winter when I have to clear the jeep of S*#w (not a good word right now ), but it sure does make me feel better during the winter doldrums.

*~*~*

Well gals, I really have to pull myself away from the computer and get my house cleaned --- sounds like fun, huh --- NOT!
Hope you all have a wonderful day today!
Catch you later...

SunnyD <><

EDIT:
I forgot to post my 2 Miles

ApRiL MiLeS: 41.0
MaY MiLeS: 48.25

JuNe MiLeS: 20.75
JuLy MiLeS: 13.25

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Last edited by SunnyD57; 07-08-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #60  

Good Morning Gang!

Welcome to all the new comers!

I did not exercise this morning because of my doctor's appointment.

Let's see, my blood pressure was low, temp was normal (that's a first, it usually runs about 97.2, but has been up to 98.0 lately on 2 grains of Armour Thyroid), my pulse was slow (because everything just barely runs on me) and my weight was up 5 lbs since I saw him on February 17. Now could you please tell me how it is possible for anyone to gain 5 lbs in 4 months while they are eating 1200 calories a day, exercising like crazy, and drinking around 100 oz of water per day??? somebody please please please tell me how that is possible!

We did blood work to check my thryoid levels again (even tho we are mainly treating my symptons) and to check my testerone, and some other things. He wants me to see the nutrionist to "discuss things" and see if maybe she can help me see something that I'm not seeing, and said that possibly even tho I am aiming for 1200 calories a day, I am eating a little more then that, and that I apparently have a very low basal rate. I asked about only eating a 1000 calories a day and he says that is just too low.

He is against me upping my armour thyroid to 3 grains a day until he sees my new bloodwork, but gave me a prescription for Phentermine 37.5 I haven't taken diet pills in 9 months (and the last time I took them I did not lose any weight while taking them - if you can believe that) but after talking with him I feel better about taking them. He says that most people with a low thryoid problem need a good diet pill, that their not addictive, etc. So I will fill the prescription and start them tomorrow.

So I guess I will do what he says (for now), keep the thyroid meds like the are, take the phentermine and I will finish my birth control pills on July 22, and give that a 3 month try without them. If none of that helps me lose some blooming weight, then I will just up my thyroid med myself and see what happens.

So there are the boring details of my continuing weightloss struggles.

5 lbs up can you believe that! *sigh*

hope everybody has a good day!

hugs,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 07-07-2004 at 12:09 PM.