Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #61  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikel1979 View Post
Well FWIW, I have done 3 half marathons and will be training for a full this year.......

.......Last summer, when I started running...
That is super impressive!!! Get well soon. I shouldn't be running much at the moment due to injury too. It sucks!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #62  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
I didn't mean to offend the folks on the monthly thread with this one! I hung out there for a bit but always felt so silly with my "I ran a mile" posts when everyone else was like "I did an easy 30 mile run today." So I decided to look for people who are more like me, because they certainly weren't posting in the monthly thread. I'm glad we've found each other and I apologize if anyone is miffed about this thread.
this exactly!! I posted there for awhile too and decided not to because no one really talked to me and I didn't have anything in common with the ones who could run an easy 10 miles while I was pushing it to get to 3 miles with walk breaks lol
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #63  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvynotlumpy View Post
This^^^ I agree about the support and help on the monthly thread, but I didn't feel like I had a place there. I'm coming more from where JenMusic is coming from--comfort.

FWIW, I sense no blame in your original post Novus. You were seeking a certain type of camaraderie and validation. Nothing wrong with that. 3 FC wouldn't exist if this wasn't the case.There is no reason people couldn't post to both threads if they wanted.
agreed! there was absolutely no blame in the original post...no worries I love this thread and will still be hanging out here
Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #64  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikel1979 View Post
Well FWIW, I have done 3 half marathons and will be training for a full this year. I'm still really slow. My long run pace is 14:30-15, and my short run pace is 12:30-13. And I take walk breaks. The finish line is the same, not matter if you're first or last. The last half I did, the 5K, the half, and the full even shared the same finish line. As did the half before it.

Maybe I'm just cranky because I'm not allowed to run right now, but I feel like people are saying distance runners look down on runners that run shorter distances. Running is running. Last summer, when I started running, I couldn't even run for 60 seconds straight. We may not be as different as people think. Don't post in the other thread if you don't want to, but it sucks to be on the receiving end of blame as to why you don't. Clearly this isn't the thread for me.
No offence taken really JUST realize we started there at a mile too,and maybe no one commented because some of us are busy!! I had a sick dog for 2 months and could not run so did not feel supportive no could run,

As stated above we are not all fast some people are...and as for 30 miles NO ONE I have seen on that thread has ever done that! 10 to 15 and an occasional marathon YES,
And we all do not run that every day I usually run 3 .4 and ME I can only run on dirt like I said I am old!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #65  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

And I should have said from the start I am glad you all found a place you are comfortable posting and being supportive of one another..just we are regular folk too!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #66  

I'm still lurking here and envying all of you!

I finished W8D2 of C25K so next week is the last week of training but I'm nowhere near actually running the distance of a 5k so I'll be working on that (it's because I'm so slow and uncoordinated in my feet!).

You all inspire me so thank you!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #67  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

As the monthly creator of sorts for the "other" running thread - I just wanted to throw in my .02. When I started reading that blog, I couldn't run around the block. I was a smoker who could.not.run. It was the motivation I found there that led me to start running...many to most of the posts I've found are just the day to day hey, I ran 4 miles. Yes a lot of people, myself included have by now run half and full marathons, but certainly not every run. And more importantly, nobody has ever written a post putting down someone for any time or distance. I took over creating the monthly blog well before I could run any sort of distance..it's a running share forum, not distance specific. I just wanted to be clear about that - I am just somewhat confused as I've gone through recent months and all I've seen are motivational posts and questions written and answered by all sorts of runners so please don't write this blog stating that the other one is about people acting intimidating or distance specific...it's for everyone, just like yours.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #68  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I'm still lurking here and envying all of you!

I finished W8D2 of C25K so next week is the last week of training but I'm nowhere near actually running the distance of a 5k so I'll be working on that (it's because I'm so slow and uncoordinated in my feet!).

You all inspire me so thank you!!
WELCOME!! I don't think i'll ever get to where I can run a 5K without stopping or walking....that's why I focus on incline and speed instead...partly because I get bored with distance and partly because of asthma flare ups

today I did HIIT running intervals and then some high incline walking (usual workout) but without using my inhaler first...I was actually FINE until I was done, which is weird, and then I had some mild asthma...enough to where I used my DH's inhaler when I got home...my inhaler that I carry is clogged
Old 05-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #69  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
Just chiming in to say that yes, people are very welcoming on the other running thread; however, people might feel more comfortable here because they might feel it's more suitable to their needs or current levels. Just as someone feels more at home in the 300+ forum or the Featherweights or the Maintainers doesn't mean that all forums/threads can't co-exist in harmony.
Very well said, Jen. Thank you!
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #70  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I'm a 3-yr in-between runner having finished C25K in August 2010. Although I've flirted with doing the 10K training, I've realized that 30 mins is about my sweetspot time for running. I've not really felt the need to go longer than that.

So for the past 3 years, I've worked on building my speed and endurance, more than building my distance. I've worked my way up from just barely wheezing my way through C25K at 4mph to running at a minimum speed of 6mph for 30 minutes. I consider myself a dabbler runner more than a serious one and I'm pretty excited about this thread.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
here is a pic of me on the trail near where I live....my teenager took the pic...it was a downpour of rain and we were getting soaked LOL

Attachment 44593
alaskan laughter, is most of your running trail running or do you also run on asphalt? I ask because I have 3+ mile trail that circles my home that is part gravel/dirt, part asphalt. I run it for convenience but also because it's less stressful on my ankles and joints. Can you feel the difference between trail and/or asphalt or treadmill running?
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #72  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
alaskan laughter, is most of your running trail running or do you also run on asphalt? I ask because I have 3+ mile trail that circles my home that is part gravel/dirt, part asphalt. I run it for convenience but also because it's less stressful on my ankles and joints. Can you feel the difference between trail and/or asphalt or treadmill running?
Hi curvynotlumpy... I just wanted to say that I definitely notice a big difference between running on trails vs. asphalt... and if I could I would do all of my running on trails... I seem to get a lot less injuries too... and I also just enjoy it more... so it's a win/win for me... now, as far as treadmills go... I do a fair amount of running on them too in the winter and I'm fine with them since it beats the alternative of having to deal with slippery and icy roads... the treadmills that I use have pretty well cushioned decks, so I find them pretty comfortable and they are definitely easier on me than being out on the "road"... I don't seem to get injured on those either...

The only bad thing about running on trails for me is that I get so into it and being out in "nature" that I forget to watch my footing... and more than I few times I've been humming along... thinking to myself how beautiful is out here... with my mind sort of wandering... and BAMMO!... I'll twist my ankle... lol... I can't tell you how many times I've done that...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 05-17-2013 at 11:56 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Hi curvynotlumpy... I just wanted to say that I definitely notice a big difference between running on trails vs. asphalt... and if I could I would do all of my running on trails... I seem to get a lot less injuries too... and I also just enjoy it more... so it's a win/win for me... now, as far as treadmills go... I do a fair amount of running on them too in the winter and I'm fine with them since it beats the alternative of having to deal with slippery and icy roads... the treadmills that I use have pretty well cushioned decks, so I find them pretty comfortable and they are definitely easier on me than being out on the "road"... I don't seem to get injured on those either...

The only bad thing about running on trails for me is that I get so into it and being out in "nature" that I forget to watch my footing... and more than I few times I've been humming along... thinking to myself how beautiful is out here... with my mind sort of wandering... and BAMMO!... I'll twist my ankle... lol... I can't tell you how many times I've done that...
Hi TripSwitch--I've only ran on a treadmill once and I didn't like it. Of course, I live in Northern California so the worst I have to deal with weather wise are the cold, foggy, rainy days. I see you're in NY and I'm originally from Nebraska so if I had that kind of drastic weather to work out in I think I could learn to love the treadmill LOL

My experience with running trails (well, my one trail) is similar to yours. Joints and muscles feel worked out but not overly stressed. Unfortunately, it's the only trail nearby so I do a fair amount of asphalt running.

And like you, I've also fallen a few times--once on the trail where a group of three horses from a nearby pasture watched me recover while they were eating their morning hay, and once at a busy intersection during rush hour. Every light was red so I became the point of interest for everyone waiting for their respective light to change. Nothing hurt by my ego--HAHA!!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #74  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Quote:
the trail that I run on is mostly hard-packed gravel with some sandy/dirt areas at the tideline....it's a harder impact on the rest of my body than running on the treadmill...like after I run I ache in my shoulders and sides and ankle but not my leg muscles that I run with

I don't run on straight asphalt/pavement because the impact HURTS my ankle and knee....and not in a good way...so I try to avoid that

but mostly I run on the treadmill at my gym because I don't have to worry about bears, asthma/pollen allergy attacks or falling...ive been told in no uncertain terms that a fall will seriously re-injure my back and to avoid at all costs
Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #75  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
but mostly I run on the treadmill at my gym because I don't have to worry about bears, asthma/pollen allergy attacks or falling...ive been told in no uncertain terms that a fall will seriously re-injure my back and to avoid at all costs
OMG be careful! I thought the bear was scary enough to read but you really don't want to hurt your back. (And I know you know this, I'm just saying it in a caring kind of way. )
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote