Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #46  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

also, im back up to 137.5 pounds.........very upset...almost lost it yesterday...im pretty sure its entirely bloating from having bathroom issues the past two weeks...... but i need help guys! How do i bring the bloating down??? Ill take something over-the-counter if you know of anything that works!! OF course i already drink like a crap-ton of water~appr 120-150 ozs a day (but thats my NORMAL amount i usually drink) any suggestions??
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Iris~ I never know where I fall on those activity scales--I mean, what's moderate to one person might be intense to another ya know? That's part of my reasoning between splitting the difference

MK~ Good luck with that audio book! I've never ever listened to one and I think if I were to attempt a long run like yours that that would really help! As for your gain, if you're thinking it's related to digestive issues and bloating you could try fiber. I mean, you mentioned you started having issues since you quit smoking, perhaps you just need to up the fiber for a bit until your body works out the kinks. I usually take acidophilus every other day (a probiotic) and eat fiber bars daily as a snack--that's helped to keep things on an even keel for me. Besides that, since you're drinking more than enough water, I don't have any other suggestions. As odd as it sounds, you could try decreasing the amount of water you're drinking to 64 oz or so, sometimes if I drink too much (and I often do) I end up retaining a bit.

Well girls! I am no longer a 5K Virgin!! I did it! I ended up getting there super early because I hadn't picked up my registration packet yet and was worried there'd be tons of people there--there weren't. So, I ended up sitting in my car for a bit and then headed inside to get warm (it was chilly and windy this morning--brrr!). Met my ils and hung out with them until the race started. I have no idea what place I took in my age group, but I do know I ran that bad boy in 30:40!!! My best time yet and there were HILLS!!! So I honestly don't care where I placed, I'm just thrilled I didn't walk, barf or quit.

Anyway, it was fun and I definitely see more 5Ks in my future! There's even a mini coming up in May...hmm...I wonder if I could manage that?

Well ladies, thanks for all the wonderful advice, support and kind words! I really appreciate it!!! To everyone else racing today--Good Luck!!!!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

idream - wooohooo! congrats on your race -that's great!
mk - I'd try maybe that activia yogurt that's supposed to help and something like prunes, raisin brain or fiber supplements (I think a lot of people have luck with metamucil but I would think it would be hard to drink). Good luck!
Off to run again in this great crisp fall weather...
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

IDream - CONGRATS!! Not only did you not "walk, quit or barf" (hahaha), but you finished with a freakin awesome time! I see many great races in your future!

Mk - I agree with all the advice about fiber and activia. Or you can try the really low dose laxatives. That'll definitely get things moving and make you feel better! Hope your 20miler went well!!

Dancer - Don't you just love the fall weather? I love a little bit of a breeze while running. It's just the best experience!

No run for me today. I'm pretty sore from my 6 miles yesterday! Hope everyone's having a great Saturday!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

iDream, congrats on your first 5k and your awesome time! Not barfing is also always a plus

MK, my mom swears by black licorice when she is "blocked up." Also I find that if you're not used to the caffeine that can do it... but I drink it so much it doesn't have much of an effect anymore (maybe it'd affect me if I stopped)!

Dancer, I'm longing for the crisp fall weather you mention! Hopefully this is my last fall in the desert, it's not suiting me so well.

I have 6 miles to do, preferably today, but I was outside all morning and my allergies are bothering me, so I'm debating pushing that back till tomorrow... probably I should just DO IT NOW!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #51  
Tellin' it like it is!

Idream---BIG HUGE FAT CONGRATS ON YOUR 5K!!1 30:40 is a FANTASTIC time!! Thats just UNDER a 10 min avg--AND with all those hills!! I bet it was this chilly that got you moving, huh??? How did you feel throughout the race? Did you feel like you paced yourself well?? that you went out too fast? too slow??
Old 10-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #52  
Tellin' it like it is!

Default LAST 20 miler

Marathon is 2 weeks from today... (obviously im very confused as to how that makes me feel)

Ok, yesterdays run was just about as wonderfully fantastically relaxing, easy, incredible and perfect as a 20 miler can possibly be!!!! It was actually EASY, and AWESOME> I listened to that audio book i downloaded onto my ipod, and frequently glanced down at my garmin to make sure i was running at approx a 9 minute and just put myself on cruise control! It was chilly, and sunny and beautiful out!! Took my 3 hours and 7 minutes (needs to be 3 hrs even if i want to break 4 hours at my marathon) but thats ok. i wasnt TRYING to push myself. Im starting to REALLY think maybe i was built for endurance you guys. I was barely sweating, my HR never got very high, i dont even FEEL like i just ran 20 miles!! I am elated. you know what i think is the reason for how easy this was?? 2 things...#1 of course, the QUITTING SMOKING. Duh, no brainer.
but #2, those extreme damn 12 mil lactic acid threshold runs i do twice a week. I am a FIRM believer now in their power. Ive raised my threshold,( or increased the pace that it starts to accumulate at) to such an extent, that i can easily run 20 miles at a 9 minute mile with NO LACTIC acid buildup. My legs felt as fresh at mile 17 as at mile 6. This marathon is in the bag!!

on a sadder, more frustrating note....i BINGED last night. Now, my def of binge and anothers is different. But we went to a afternoon party thing, and i did good avoiding the chips and dip for a while, and then just one taste led to another taste of some thing else, etc etc, ended in me eating an entire cupcake covered in frosting!! (i dont DO sugar) oh, and then when we got home i found the opened and half empty jar of frosting USED by my BF to make the cupcakes, so i ate two spoonfuls of just FROSTING! UGGHHHHH>...oh, and THEN the peanut butter...peanut butter, my love, my nemesis..... i CAN NOT rationalize it with, "oh well, you just ran 20 miles, its ok" thats how i got fat in the first place!! Luv you guys!!

Last edited by mkroyer; 10-04-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #53  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

iDream - AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Your time knocked my socks off when I read it. Incredible! I'm so glad you had fun and did so well!

MK - 2 weeks!!! SO exciting!! It must feel great to have such a fab 20-mile run under your belt. I will definitely have to find out more from you about this lactic acid training if I ever start going for serious distance running. And on the binge note...yeeeeeaaahhhh it's so hard, once that junk-food door sneaks open, to slam it back closed. I have to keep reminding myself that my body is a machine and it deserves A-1 fuel. Sure, I could burn off Doritoes and hot dogs (which I may have had yesterday) or I could burn fruits and veggies, clean grains and lean protein and be running sleek and smooth! What I tell myself and what I listen to are two very different things, however

Didn't get any running in this weekend, as I feared might be the case. But yesterday I did a 6-Mile Walk Against Homelessness downtown, so I'm telling myself that counts for some cross-training Tomorrow morning, 5 miles, no whining, no quitting!!
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #54  
Ilene the Bean

iDream on the great race!!

MK -- Sorry to hear of your binge, I know how if feels when you get the "taste" and then it snowballs

Ran this morning finally, I hadn't run since Wednesday...5k, 39 mins... man I am so slowww
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Ran this morning finally, I hadn't run since Wednesday...5k, 39 mins... man I am so slowww
Ilene: This is my dream time now I SO want to break that stupid 40 minute mark I haven't run since Wednesday either. I did a 5K walk for breast cancer today though, with a friend that is battling.

I am going to sign up for my first actual 5k. I think I am going to do a "resolution run" on January 1st. I will definitely need some winter running advice before then as it is usually well below zero here that time of year.
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Mk - Congrats on the awesome 20 mile run! That must've felt so wonderful. I can't wait to hear all about your marathon! You're gonna rock it! Sorry about the binge. I unfortunately totally understand and have done the same thing for a few days now and feel GROSS, so it's back to the basics...gum, tea, protein, veggies, fruit, plan plan plan! You'll be totally fine so don't beat yourself up. Just get back on track. You need the best fuel possible to get ready for your marathon!

Sharon - A 6 mile walk definitely counts for something! But get out there and run your 5 miler tomorrow...no excuses!

Ilene - Hey, at least you're out there running. That's what matters! Way to go!

Mom - I love the idea of a resolution run. I totally wanna do that!

Since I did my long run on Friday, I did a short 3 miler today. It was CRAPPY. Every minute was miserable and I couldn't wait to get home. Happens to the best of us, right? The outer side of my left lower leg is really really sore, not sure what the deal is with that. So I may try to cut down a little this week before the 10K, but I can't decided if I should run 3 days of shorter distances or 2 days or longer distances (ie 4 miles on Tue/Thur and then Sunday 10K or 3 miles on Tue/Thur/Fri). Any thoughts?

Back to grind tomorrow...booo...Have a good week everyone!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #57  
Tellin' it like it is!

Takingcharge--how LOW is the pain on your outer lower left leg? IS the 10K THIS weekend?? HOW EXCITING!!
do you feel like you NEED to run more 4 milers to be e ready for it?? or will you be ok with only a couple more 3 milers??

Sharon- i agree that a 6 mile walk counts as exercise!!! Being runners, we are silly because we compare and equate every other thing to running! If it doesnt make us sweat as much as running, its not exercise! if our HR doesnt get up as high, its not exercise!! If its not RUNNING, it just doesnt FEEL like exercise!!!

ILENE- if you are down becuz you run "slow" then try to think of it like this--- If you were a FAST runner you would have only got like 20-25 minutes of exercise in yesterday! Instead you got DOUBLE that amount of exercise in, and burned even more calories!!
and before you all start chiming in that if you run faster you burn more calories, blah blah blah.....it is my opinion, based SOLEY on my own experience, that as i have gotten faster (faster in the "my base pace/comfy pace is faster sense) my body has to work equally as hard to run fast as it did to run slow, IF NOT LESS HARD now. Seriously. Before when i was running 10Ks in approx 1 hour i would burn about 600 calories (so about 100 calories per 10 MINUTES, not per mile, like they say). Now i run a 10K in about 45 minutes, and im LUCKY to burn between 400 and 450 calories!! That pretty much the ONLY reason you guys never hear about me running only 3 miles or doing 5ks!! I just dont burn enough calories doing them, so i dont run them!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #58  
Tellin' it like it is!

on a more interesting a funner note...my 8 year old puked this morning!!! Im debating leaving her hanging over the toilet while i run out and buy those surgical/germ prevention mask thingies (think SARS in china!) i CANNOT, i repeat CANNOT GET SICK WITH MY MARATHON LESS THAN 2 WEEKS OUT!! That would be, devastating, to say the least. Nuthin like a good flu/upper respiratory thingy to help me with my marathon...!!! i would SERIOUSLY dump her at school and make it their problem, but they would only make me come get her right away, and then yell at me for being a bad parent..... She doesnt have a fever though, so thats real good news.....
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #59  
Ilene the Bean

MK -- Oh Oh!! Get the masks an wash, wash, wash your hands.... Thanks for the encouraging words on my slowness ... I do look at the extra time it takes me as extra calories burned...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #60  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Yikes, MK! You need a has-mat suit!

Soooooooo we headed out and had an awesome 5 mile run this morning...except then when I was logging it with gmap, it turns out it was actually 4.73 I screwed up in calculating which streets to take and when to turn So that's kind of a bummer. But we felt great and were talking at the end that we could've run a bit farther if we HAD to, like if it were race day or if we had a longer run scheduled. Plus we won the mental game of running a mile farther than before. So I'm kind of sad that I can't have 5-mile bragging rights yet, but maybe tomorrow!

Last edited by sharongracepjs; 10-05-2009 at 09:50 AM.
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote